PDA

View Full Version : help please

JoY
07-02-2008, 04:32 AM
I'm doing some research & I'm reviewing articles, one being from a study in Minnesota, but I'm having a few problems; I don't know anything about law in Minnesota. so please, if you can help me, I'd be very grateful.

I need to know at which age you can legally;
-use tobacco (smoke)
-use alcohol (drink; at 21 I presume?)

& if there's a legal age defined for sexual intercourse. (I assume not, but you never know)

Endymion
07-02-2008, 04:37 AM
18, 21, and 16; respectively.

the 18 and 21 are basically nationally mandated via various means (nationally, it's illegal to sell cigarettes to anyone under the age of 18, but anyone can possess and buy, however if a state wants FEMA support they must also ban those two things for people under 18). age of consent is state-by-state, and i found it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#Minnesota).

JoY
07-02-2008, 05:08 AM
awesome, thank you so much. a few more questions:
so it's not so much "illegal" to smoke under the age of 18?
what about the alcohol, getting caught with alcohol under the age of 21 gets you in trouble with the law, right?
age of consent is kind of a weird concept to me. if you have sexual intercourse at 15, is it seen as a criminal act?

American law=funnies.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 05:17 AM
I believe the law is, that if you are under age of consent you cannot legally have sex unless you are married or your parents give permission. I don't remember which.

JoY
07-02-2008, 05:56 AM
so having sex under the age of consent is a criminal act?

what about the smoking & stuff.

oh please, I'll be muchos grateful.<333

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 06:24 AM
I believe you can legally smoke cigarettes at any age. Though I wouldn't be surprised if a police officer confiscated them.

On second thought a cop searched me and friends of mine who smoke. He didn't even mention the fact that they all had a pack of cigarettes.

Alcohol is different. It is illegal to consume alcohol under the age of 21.

I am 99% positive about this stuff but if I am wrong some one please correct me, I would hate for JoY to have false information on something like this.

JoY
07-02-2008, 06:42 AM
you're a doll for trying to help me, seriously.<3

the irritating thing is, I have to identify whether in Minnesota tobacco use, alcohol use & sexual intercourse before the age of 15 & between the age of 15 & 17 are criminal acts or not, to be able to use the results of a certain research.

at least I think we've established consuming alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal, but smoking I'm still not sure about (I can't imagine it is) & the same when it comes to having sex. plus, I need references, like Endy gave, but I'm drowning in these law-sites & can't really make shit of it.

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
I looked a lot of this up a while ago, I'll try to find some of it again. When do you need the information?

JoY
07-02-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm terrible: now? :/

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 07:06 AM
'11.52.065 Possession of Tobacco Products, Persons under 18.
It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 18 to possess or attempt to possess cigarettes
or tobacco products.
(History: Ord. POC-1986 8, 96)'

http://www.opkansas.org/_Assets/agendas/cd/2005/07-06/DIS-2-3.PDF

'Minnesota State Law Statute 609.685, states that if
you are under 18, it is illegal to possess, smoke, chew,
or ingest tobacco. It is also illegal to purchase or
attempt to purchase tobacco.'

http://www.co.washington.mn.us/client_files/documents//DPC-TobaccoLaw.pdf

I believe this should cover tobacco, turns out I was wrong. I'll try to check the others before going to sleep.

JoY
07-02-2008, 07:16 AM
oh my god I LOVE you!

nevermind on the sex-thing; duh, if a actor must be at least 3 years older than a victim who's under 13 to be able to speak of criminality, sex is otherwise totally permitted under 16. STOOPID. I've been working on this for far too long, my brain's gone mushy.

law in combination with psychiatry = cool. otherwise, ugh.

edit: one more thing; can you find a reference for alcohol & drug use aswell?

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
So 13 year olds can have sex with anyone with in 3 years? Hmm... I really didn't know that.

What if the parents disagree?

JoY
07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
thanks so much, guys! thanks to the reference on the wiki-site Endy gave & the reference that was in your link, PilZ-E, I totally got all my references together.

<33333333 for u.

Rag Doll
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I wonder if that MN age of consent law is outdated. Usually, if the age of consent is 15, then from the of 15-18 (when you become an adult in the eyes of the state) you can only have sex with those within 3 years of your age (I can't recall, though, if you can actually have sex with legal adults or not...). Before 15, it's illegal. That's *generally* how it works. MN might be different, but I'd give another look around if it matters a lot for what you're doing. Oh, and usually even if both parties are under 15, if parents complain, then the other party can be charged with statutory rape. It's happened before. Though, it can be very hard to prove and the District Attorney may decide to not even go through with it for lack of evidence.

IamSam
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder if that MN age of consent law is outdated. Usually, if the age of consent is 15, then from the of 15-18 (when you become an adult in the eyes of the state) you can only have sex with those within 3 years of your age (I can't recall, though, if you can actually have sex with legal adults or not...). Before 15, it's illegal. That's *generally* how it works. MN might be different, but I'd give another look around if it matters a lot for what you're doing. Oh, and usually even if both parties are under 15, if parents complain, then the other party can be charged with statutory rape. It's happened before. Though, it can be very hard to prove and the District Attorney may decide to not even go through with it for lack of evidence.

We could always ask Markus. He's from one of those annexed Canadian states...he should know.

(Or else he would say something and we could take the opposite knowing that he quite possibly would be wrong).

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Hmm... I just found this.

'609.34 Fornication.

When any man and single woman have sexual intercourse with each other, each is guilty of fornication, which is a misdemeanor.'

http://www.moraloutrage.net/staticpages/index.php?page=Minnesota

What the hell?

nieh
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
What if it's a married woman and a single man?

WebDudette
07-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I think it is single as in one woman.

IamSam
07-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I think that is one of those old goofy laws that is still on the books. Here in Montana it is illegal to have sex in any position but the missionary on a Sunday.

jacknife737
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think that is one of those old goofy laws that is still on the books. Here in Montana it is illegal to have sex in any position but the missionary on a Sunday.

hahaha, seriously?

JoY
07-02-2008, 05:21 PM
you must be kidding me! so I could've added sexual intercourse to my list of criminal acts??

that is just unbelievable.

I wish Brianna was here. if I remember correctly, she's from Minneapolis, no?

IamSam
07-02-2008, 05:44 PM
hahaha, seriously?

Yep. Seriously. It's also illegal to throw round objects across the street in our capital.

Also, in my hometown, there is a law still on the books that states that 5 or more Native Americans together in a group are considered a war party and can be fired upon.

Little_Miss_1565
07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I think it is single as in one woman.

So threesomes are perfectly legal?

WebDudette
07-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Of course.
So uhh... meet you in Minnesota? Bring a friend.