PDA

View Full Version : Last Three Albums

brad_logan
07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
I think that the last three albums the Offspring have produced have been the weakest three of their career. (conspiracy better than Rise and fall, which in turn is slightly better than splinter).

whether or not you agree, humour me.

all of the albums DO have some very good tracks on them however, and i mixed some of them up to make an album out of the last three albums, which i think would be up there with ixnay, smash, ignition, ST, and americana.

01 Half-Truism
02 Come out Swinging
03 The Noose
04 Want You Bad
05 You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
06 One Fine Day
07 Dammit, I Changed Again
08 Lightning Rod
09 Conspiracy of One
10 Da Hui
11 Hammerhead
12 Can't Get My Head Around You
13 Trust In You
14 O.C. Life cover

The Search Button
07-04-2008, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't buy that album.

And I bought RAFRAG.

So....

medi01
07-04-2008, 09:04 AM
i agreeish... they dont have the 'offspring sound' which are in the others, but personally i think they are all great album, RAFRAG being my favourite atm then conspiracy then splinter

Keyser
07-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Alltough they´re not as good as the earlier albums, I think the last 3 albums still are pretty good

Hypodermic_89
07-04-2008, 10:24 AM
If you don't like the entire album, just listen to the songs you like and shut up.

killboybowerhead
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
well the offspring has put out some really fucking good albums. And instead of trying to copy them and top them they have tried something different with each album musically. I dont see how that is so bad that the albums have not been as good as smash or americana because those albums are really impressive. Same with ixnay and ignition. What I dont get it why people think the offspring have changed. For me the most important aspect of their music is dexters social commentary. There were always songs that had a lot to do with what was going on. Thats why for me Conspiracy is my least favorite.. Because besides the title track the rest of the songs dont really strike me other than just pop punk radio hits.
The Offspring are great at usually saying something with their songs. The lyrics especially. But the music too.. everything has a purpose. There is a lot of feeling in the instrumentation. I mean their last three may have been the worst but I think this album definitely has a lot of thought behind it. I like it.. whos to say its one of the worst. I think its as good as americana.

Blastero
07-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Conspiracy Of One is vastly underrated?

Hypodermic_89
07-04-2008, 12:38 PM
No, I agree with you.

Rutegard
07-04-2008, 12:43 PM
i agreeish... they dont have the 'offspring sound' which are in the others, but personally i think they are all great album, RAFRAG being my favourite atm then conspiracy then splinter

i can still hear their offspring style!!!

actually RFRG is so good that for me is my fav album!!

keonii7
07-04-2008, 12:57 PM

I think so too, and half of splinter.

medi01
07-04-2008, 01:08 PM
i can still hear their offspring style!!!

i think its still offspring, as its the same 3/4 guys playing and theyve just changed style a bit, i was just saying that some ppl see the three albums as a change in direction and think the music is not of a similar style.

i dont really agree to that as its the same band so its all 'offspring style', but i can see why some people think of splinter and conspiracy as lesser albums, even though i think they are top albums

Rutegard
07-04-2008, 01:17 PM
i think its still offspring, as its the same 3/4 guys playing and theyve just changed style a bit, i was just saying that some ppl see the three albums as a change in direction and think the music is not of a similar style.

i dont really agree to that as its the same band so its all 'offspring style', but i can see why some people think of splinter and conspiracy as lesser albums, even though i think they are top albums

yeah but i mean ppl say they changed but they always change a lil bit from one album to another....it's their natural process....what the big deal about that? why do they have to talk about this all the freaking time??

goddamn it!!

let them change!! let them be who they are!!
that's what i like about them!! i want them to change, to redefine themselfes!!
otherwise i would just listeing to S/T over and over and i wouldn't buy any other album!

let them change because they change in the right direction!! always!!

weezly
07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
yes co1 was so awesome!! i still always listen to it, i totally dig it, i love smash i love xnay americana splinter was ok but not terrible, to short, ignition is way over rated yes i said that, but i have been a fan for over half my life and im 25 and i love ignition but im so glad they dont listen to 'why didnt they make ignition part 2' jesus, co1 was cool though. just not op i hate that song

jacknife737
07-04-2008, 03:38 PM
@ bard_logan,

No offense guy, but that would be a terrible album it would have no flow and no cohesive sound. And I also disagree partially with your original point, I think that although Splinter is (arguably) their weakest album, RAFRAG is as good as any of their early stuff, and co1 is better then self-titled.

F@ BANKZ
07-04-2008, 04:02 PM
In my opinion Rise and Fall is an exception, but doesn't disprove the rule.

HeadAroundU
07-04-2008, 04:26 PM
You are a joke. Dear, thru punx, expand your musical tastes.

RageAndLov
07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
i think RAFRAG is excelent, most of splinter is excelent, and Co1 is a good album, not a great one.

want you bad sucks btw, sound like a blink-182 and simple plan song... yuck!

tylercosgrove1989
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
You know, something I have come to realize in the many years of being an Offspring fan and of them being my all time favorite band is that they aren't all about making Smash albums over and over again. It could be said that a lot of their older stuff was more popular, but either way they are brave and adventurous in my opinion because they do a lot of different stuff. Every album has been a lot different then it's predecessor. They try out new things all the time and thats what makes them different than many other bands. I mean granted we've seen many bands go straight to hell with time and age, but I really honestly don't think that about the Offspring. I think everything they do is amazing. (mostly because I never will get over how amazing Dexter's voice is, and their very powerful guitar riffs always kick ass) Sure they aren't as "punk" as many people would wish them to be, but keep in mind that the offspring have existed for over 20 years. The band members are going to have a change in their style and influences naturally. All I'm saying, is that instead of putting down their newer stuff because it isn't smash, just let them do what they want to do. bands shouldn't be controlled by their fans, or else that would defeat the whole purpose of THEM being a band....wouldn't it?

Ninty Man
07-04-2008, 09:57 PM
I think that the last three albums the Offspring have produced have been the weakest three of their career. (conspiracy better than Rise and fall, which in turn is slightly better than splinter).

whether or not you agree, humour me.

all of the albums DO have some very good tracks on them however, and i mixed some of them up to make an album out of the last three albums, which i think would be up there with ixnay, smash, ignition, ST, and americana.

01 Half-Truism
02 Come out Swinging
03 The Noose
04 Want You Bad
06 One Fine Day
08 Lightning Rod
09 Conspiracy of One
10 Da Hui
11 Hammerhead
13 Trust In You
14 O.C. Life cover

Pffff....

Want you bad, and one fine day are PRETTY new offspring, or pop punk in all is magnitude.

Da Hui IS LAME.

MMM And where the fuck is Million Miles away, Living in chaos and Neocon should be always next to the noose.

Dude... get your facts right, OK?

Bassman18
07-04-2008, 10:26 PM
01 Half-Truism
02 Come out Swinging
03 The Noose
04 Want You Bad
06 One Fine Day
08 Lightning Rod
09 Conspiracy of One
10 Da Hui
11 Hammerhead
13 Trust In You
14 O.C. Life cover

I see that your a fan of their fast song witch I am too but an album like that would sound the same from the begenning till the end. Songs like A Lot Like Me, Living In Chaos and Spare Me The Details have their place on an Offspring album.

CO1 sound like it's the leftover songs from Americana. Don't get me wrong, I like this album but it's weaker than Americana. Even them don't seem to like it that much, I mean they have played only 5 songs from this album on that tour and they played 7 from Americana (at the show that I saw). The good point of this album is the diversity of the songs.

Splinter looks like an unfinished album (I don't know why I feel that way for this one) but there is a lot of good stuff on it.

RAFRAG is a kick ass album

Ninty Man
07-04-2008, 11:09 PM
01 Half-Truism
02 Come out Swinging
03 The Noose
04 Want You Bad
06 One Fine Day
08 Lightning Rod
09 Conspiracy of One
10 Da Hui
11 Hammerhead
13 Trust In You
14 O.C. Life cover

I see that your a fan of their fast song witch I am too but an album like that would sound the same from the begenning till the end. Songs like A Lot Like Me, Living In Chaos and Spare Me The Details have their place on an Offspring album.

CO1 sound like it's the leftover songs from Americana. Don't get me wrong, I like this album but it's weaker than Americana. Even them don't seem to like it that much, I mean they have played only 5 songs from this album on that tour and they played 7 from Americana (at the show that I saw). The good point of this album is the diversity of the songs.

Splinter looks like an unfinished album (I don't know why I feel that way for this one) but there is a lot of good stuff on it.

RAFRAG is a kick ass album

MMM... I think Conspiracy in some points is superior that Americana, and in some weaker.

In lyrics I think is WAY better conspiracy of one title song, and million miles away in overall... but yes, it was intented to be an americana Part deux XD.

Splinter... is mediocre in my opinion

Smash punker
07-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Common guys, telling all the time that this is weaker than this and I love this more than that. Man I´m so fucking tired out of this crap. :D Personally I guess that Offspring don´t change. They just use new and different instruments. Just different guitare to each album.

Budzy
07-07-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree that Co1 is underated.
It was the first Offspring album i bought, and besides from Americana, i think it flows the best out of any other album. Not saying its my favourite, but i think it has its own style, and none of the songs are out of context, even Denial, Revisited. It's also one of the fastest, and pretty much sums up offspring. And the album/booklet artwork is THE best.

Moose
07-07-2008, 11:10 AM

am i the only one who thinks americana is vastly overrated?

...it has some great songs on it, but i can't listen to certain songs like she's got issues and walla walla...and feelings and why dont you get a job are not too good either...pretty fly, eh...no brakes and the end of the line are solid songs, but they dont make up for 4 songs i usually skip...i dont skip songs on any other album, just americana...

...have you ever, staring at the sun, the kids arent alright, americana, and pay the man are all great songs...no brakes and the end of the line are pretty good...but thats about it.

Unnatural Disaster
07-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I love Conspiracy of One, it's a great album to listen to especially if you haven't heard it in a while. Seriously, if you wait about 2 months or so before listening to any of the songs on Conspiracy of One, and then listen to them, you'll love it.

IamSam
07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I stopped caring once I saw he put Da Hui and One Fine Day in that track listing.

jacknife737
07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I stopped caring once I saw he put Da Hui and One Fine Day in that track listing.

Yeah, that about sums it up.. (and the O.C. Life cover).

brad_logan
07-07-2008, 05:13 PM

hmm. it comes down to opinions, but i really like One Fine Day, i think its an offspring 'funny' song which also is a good track too.

Da Hui I don't like as much, and can be replaced with something else from C01, like Vultures maybe, or better yet, Million Miles Away.

and the O.C. Life cover

the original of that song is brilliant, and i think that the 'spring do a decent enough job of covering it, and it would be a good end to the album. (and it would be a much better end to RAFRAG than RAF is).

you seemed much more reasonable earlier when you said

@ bard_logan,

No offense guy, but that would be a terrible album it would have no flow and no cohesive sound.

This is a fair point, i havn't actually created it and listened to it, and especially with Lightning rod without the other song that goes with it.

If you don't like the entire album, just listen to the songs you like and shut up.

ok. one, i listen to albums as a whole (unless creating a playlist etc, or in the mood for a track). furthermore, point two, i accept that some albums take time to grow on you, so i'm not going to ignore other parts of RAFRAG just yet. three, how about you take some of your own advice, and drink a nice big cup of shut the fuck up. this is a place for discussing the Offspring, and i'm doing so.

I wouldn't buy that album.

And I bought RAFRAG.

So....

i can't tell if you're stupid, or just joking.

if the offspring hadn't released RAFRAG, CO1 or Splinter, and instead released this album, I imagine you would have bought it.

Obviously you wouldn't buy that album now, because you already have all of the songs from it. You bought RAFRAG because you didn't have any of the songs from it. (well apart from hammerhead maybe, unless you downloaded a leak).

and finally

Pffff....

Neocon should be always next to the noose.

neocon goes reasonably well with the noose. not so much so that they can't be seperated.

if you want a true example of tracks like that you should pick up GNV FLA (new less than jake record)

and without talking about the record too much (i think it's fucking great),

City of Gainsville
State of Florida

and

The Life of the Party Has Left the Building
Devil in my DNA

those two sets of tracks flow together perfectly, brilliantly smoothly.

--

this was just a thought i had by the way, which i might share with other offspring fans. i dont actually think they should have done this, it would be impossible because what they record later is influenced by what criticisms they get from earlier.

also, there is a difference between tracks like want you bad and worst hangover ever. both tracks are relatively 'poppy', but want you bad is also whilst being fun, quite a driven, solid song. i'm not such a big fan of the other, although it is of course, down to different peoples opinions.

mrXniick
07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
that album would give me a headache!

No variety at all, the songs would not flow-- and they are very thematically different.

I loved co1... splinter would have been great if they actually finished the album (instead of giving us just a splinter of an album) and RAFRAG blew my socks off.

You left out so many great songs ...

Denial revisited, million miles away, a lot like me, takes me nowhere, lets hear it for rock bottom... and many more...

Da hui? One fine day?

reaaaaalllly?????

The Search Button
07-08-2008, 02:12 AM
i can't tell if you're stupid, or just joking.

if the offspring hadn't released RAFRAG, CO1 or Splinter, and instead released this album, I imagine you would have bought it.

Obviously you wouldn't buy that album now, because you already have all of the songs from it. You bought RAFRAG because you didn't have any of the songs from it. (well apart from hammerhead maybe, unless you downloaded a leak).

Actually, I'm both stupid and Joking.

Sure I would buy an imaginary album, instead of the REAL one.

What I meant (like others) is that that album would not be cohesive, it would suck due to the similar sounds and vibes. It would bore me to death.

Adictionally, I downloaded a leak from Hammerhead. Yes. I have it since day one! Yes, the shitty quality bootleg from Japan spend many weeks on my mp3 player.

bouncingcoles
07-08-2008, 07:34 AM
i love CO1 and really like the new album. but splinter has less then a handful of good songs. it basically sucks

Ninty Man
07-08-2008, 09:06 AM
i love CO1 and really like the new album. but splinter has less then a handful of good songs. it basically sucks

MMM... yes ;)

Smash_Returns
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I think so too, and half of splinter.

So, like 5 minutes of Splinter? Yeah "Can't Get My Head Around You" is a good song.

No, jk, actually its is a good album, just too short.

Also, all of the albums have the definitive Offspring sound to them, I really like how they don't copy themself, and try something new with each album. It's a risk, but I'm damn glad they do it. They don't make the same album, or hell, song, twice. (Except Can't Repeat, was basically TKAA with different lyrics)

RAFRAG definately has the Offspring sound to it, just a different Offspring sound then say... Smash does. It's complicated, but definately Offspring.

malibu43
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty much with you Brad_Logan. There are some songs I'd sub out, but that's something close to what I'd choose. I actually mentioned once a long time ago that I thought it woudl be cool (and I wasn't actually being serious) if the Offspring released an album called Splinter of One with the better tracks from both of those albums and then I could just pretend that Splinter and Co1 never existed on their own.

And to everyone else, some of you need to calm the F down. The guy just said he didn't care for the last three albums, and suggested what he thought is a track list that shows the best of the three. And he did it in a pretty constructive and polite manner. You can agree or disagree with his track choices, but he doesn't need to be called "Tru Punx" and that shit. It seems like anyone these days that suggests that RAFRAG, Splinter, or Co1 are inferrior to the earlier albums gets beat down and shunned instantly.

(ducks and runs for cover...)

Bipolar Bear
07-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Personally, I think that Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace is the best album of the last four, and Splinter the worst. Americana has been awarded a lot of sentimentality value by many people, but not by me, so maybe I see it from a different perspective. Although it has some of the best songs by the Offspring (Have You Ever, Staring at the Sun, The Kids Aren't Alright) it's also the album where I skip the most songs, and is an inconsistent listen. If I were to rate the album tracks, as is done in another thread, some would get 10, others 3, etc. resulting overall in a lower average than the other albums.

Ranks:
1. RAFRAG
2. CO1
3. Americana
4. Splinter