PDA

View Full Version : Splinter

T_immortal
07-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Whats the deal with Splinter? It's not as bad as people are making it out to be, am I the only one who thinks this is actually a pretty good album from them? Save for a couple of throwaway tracks such as When You're in Prison and Neocon (what's the deal with neocon anyways? I'd love to get Dexter's side of the story on this one). But is Splinter widely regarded as their worst record or something? Sure seems that way

Hypodermic_89
07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I agree with you. So what if it's short? It's a kickass album. I mean come on. The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, (Can't Get My) Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, Spare Me The Details and Da Hui. That's 8 kickass songs. I think it's a great album.

EDIT: I also like Hit That, but I don't think it's kickass.

medi01
07-04-2008, 09:42 AM
i like splinter in general, but there arent any stand-out-awesome-songs on the album IMO

Dragnet
07-04-2008, 10:27 AM
60 % filler tracks.

disclaimer_07
07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Where the @#$% is Obang's thread about Splinter? It was cool...

RageAndLov
07-04-2008, 05:10 PM
i think mostly of splinter is excelent!

these rocks:
Neocon
The Noose
Long Way Home
Hit That
CGMHAU
Never Gonna Find Me
Lightning Rod
Da Hui

Jaded skies
07-04-2008, 09:14 PM
i dont mind neocon. Its way better than those intro tracks they usually have,

Ninty Man
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Is mediocre.

I mean: I have a heart stop with Neocon/ the noose, and with long way home. Hit that...MMM... I like it, it has pretty good damn lyrics, but the music is BAD.

Race against Myself, I FUCKING hate it, for me is one of their worst songs, along with so alone

Cant get... Is awesome...

Worst hangoever... LAME LAME LAME

Never gonna find me: Good, but it was not as good as:

LIGHTNING ROD: Yes... the masterpiece. No solo but the lyrics... I still quote it for some bad things I do.

Spare me the details: Good... but hey... THERE ARE ONLY TWO SONGS LEFT ON THE ALBUM, WTF?

Da Hui: Musically, FUCKING GOOD. Lyrics: Lame as fuck

When you're in prison: Ok... so we have the worst ending on an offspring album... YET, now on July 5Th 2008 Mexico day.

Fdsajoe
07-05-2008, 02:01 AM
I like Splinter, but I swear a thread like this emerges every two weeks or so.

Splinter[PI]
07-05-2008, 02:42 AM
Splinter is great. My fav song on Splinter is CGMHAY, I rewrote the drum part once.

Count Orlok
07-05-2008, 03:07 AM
I agree with you. So what if it's short? It's a kickass album. I mean come on. The Noose, Long Way Home, Race Against Myself, (Can't Get My) Head Around You, Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, Spare Me The Details and Da Hui. That's 8 kickass songs. I think it's a great album.

EDIT: I also like Hit That, but I don't think it's kickass.

Thatīs exactly what i think about Splinter.These 8 ones are excellent,Hit That is good,and the other three tracks are the only ones i skip on this album.
All in All i think Splinterīs a very good record.

Bassman18
07-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Neocon: Ok
The Noose: Excellent
Long Way Home: Excellent
Hit That: Good
Race Against Myself: Good
Head Around You: Ok
The Worst Hangover Ever: Suck
Neer Gonna Find Me: Ok
Lightning Rod: Excellent
Spare Me The Details: Good
Da Hui: Good
When Your In Prison: Suck A Lot

jacknife737
07-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I’ve always thought that if the band cut out the weaker tracks, and released the Splinter EP, it would have gone down as one of the band’s strongest efforts.

Keep 'em Seperated
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
If they had left out Hit That, Worst Hangover Ever, SMTD and WYIP and replaced them with good songs it would have been a brilliant album.

In my opinion, it would have been better if they'd put all the pop-punk on one CD and released it. Most of it is not bad but IMO it just doesn't sound right on an Offspring album.

Though TBH, The Offspring can do what they want, its their music, and I appreciate what they write.

Pranksta
07-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I think Splinter is a solid album, but not as good as the other ones. The problem with it, for me, is that it's too short and too dark. Many people would say that 'dark' is not necessarily a bad thing, but I think 'aggressive'(think Smash and Ignition) works a lot better for the offspring than 'dark'.
Also, WYIP would've made an excellent HIDDEN track. As a separate song, it seems that it was put there just so the album would officially have 12 songs.
I still love the music they write nowadays, but their pre-Splinter work is much better, IMO.

Marc_Nitschke
07-05-2008, 05:56 PM
well.....besides RaF,RaG, splinter is my favorite album...so, no i do not dislike it:D

Bodom J
07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
splinter IS their worst album but it's got 3 classic songs: the noose, race against myself, and spare the details. 2 good songs: dammit i changed again, hit that.

effreyj
07-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I think it's the second weakest album (after CO1). I'd rate the songs as follows:

Neocon: 3/10
The Noose: 5/10
Long Way Home: 7/10
Hit That: 7/10
Race Against Myself: 7/10
Head Around You: 8/10
The Worst Hangover Ever: 3/10
Never Gonna Find Me: 7/10
Lightning Rod: 6/10
Spare Me The Details: 9/10
Da Hui: 4/10
When Your In Prison: 1/10

cool 2 hate 681
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
i think it is the weakest album out of all 8

Neocon: 2/10
The Noose: 6/10
Long Way Home: 7/10
Hit That: 2/10
Race Against Myself: 5/10
Head Around You: 8/10
The Worst Hangover Ever: 1/10
Never Gonna Find Me: 7/10
Lightning Rod: 8/10
Spare Me The Details: 1/10
Da Hui: 3/10
When Your In Prison: 1/10

Conspiracyof1000
07-05-2008, 09:51 PM
splinter IS their worst album but it's got 3 classic songs: the noose, race against myself, and spare the details. 2 good songs: dammit i changed again, hit that.

Isn't Dammit, I Changed Again on Conspiracy of One? :confused:

Drums beating in my Heart
07-06-2008, 12:36 AM
i think it is the weakest album out of all 8

Neocon: 2/10

Spare Me The Details: 1/10

Neocon is fun to listen!!
And Spare Me The Details is a great song!!! I believe it's my favourite after The Kids!!

Rutegard
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
i love can't get my head

Blitzkrieg Bop
07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I like the Splinter album, definately out-ranks CO1 for me and Lightning Rod & CGMHAY are one of my all time favourites.

T_immortal
07-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Im telling you guys, If splinter was just a bit longer (say 10 minutes) it would be one of their best, it's still in my top 3 though, I just wish Neocon had been a bit more fleshed out, it's an awesome anthem-like song, and they really should have built on it :)

Steph
07-06-2008, 04:20 PM
I love Splinter!! I actually love all the albums:D and I don't know what's the deal with it. My fav song is The Noose and I think it's one of the best songs

Out on Patrol
07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I like it. I used to think it was their worst work, but through the years I realised it was a good album, with some mistakes. (and, as every Offspring's album, i don't skip any song while listening to it).

Some things to say:

1) When you're in prison: would've been ok as a hidden track, or anything else, but not as a track listed. This dissapoints me.
2) Da Hui: Lyrics & music are bad. It's the worst from their "short songs" (such as So Alone, All Along, etc). It's a filler song.
3) Worst Hangover Ever & Spare me the details: I like both songs, but aren't strong enough to be on an album. Besides, they don't fit in with the rest of the album. I think they should've put one of both in the album. Or Spare (i like this one more), or Worst... Not both of them.
4) The Dark Side: The best of this album. A side we've never know from them, and i like it a lot.
ps:Love the Neocon + The Noose. The 3° best beginning for an Offspring's album.

Summing Up: It's a good album, but is not as strong as it could have been without Da Hui, WYIP & Hit That.

Is their worst album?? Don't think so, i think is a good attempt of trying something new, but it's just that, an attempt. It stays there. The fact that it has some excellent songs, and some who just suck, is the weakest point of the album.

I give it 3/5. Good album.

effreyj
07-28-2008, 07:13 PM
If you remember there was a 3 year wait between CO1 and Splinter for the Offspring to release just 10 real songs. Considering two of them are Da Hui and Worst Hangover Ever, there are just 8 decent songs on this album. The best songs are Can't Get My Head Around You, Spare me the Details, Long Way Home, and Race Against Myself. I don't really think The Noose or Never Gonna Find Me are that special of songs. Looking at RAFRAG, Smash, and Ixnay, There are 4 or 5 songs on each of those albums that are better than every song on Splinter.

Ryder1234
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I like the album, but it's just too short. That's one of the major reasons I never listen to it in it's entirety. I like most of the songs though:

The Noose
Long Way Home
Can't Get My (Head Around You)
The Worst Hangover Ever (Yep, you read that right.)
Never Gonna Find Me
Lightning Rod
Da Hui

I can't stand When You're In Prison. I don't have anything against Spare Me the Details, I do like it, but I normally don't listen to it, and that why I didn't list it.
I despise Neocon. Don't know why, just never liked it.

KyleW
07-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Splinter gets slated waaay too much. People see that it is lighter and think that its an easy way out to say that the album is bad. Just because it is light doesnt make it bad.

Okay, it doesn't rank up thier with Ignition, Ixnay etc. but it still has some great songs. The Noose, Hit That, Never Gonna Find Me and Head Around You are all fantastic (IMO) and although there are some filler songs in there, there is definately some brilliant stuff with that Offspring charm.

To conclude Splinter is a solid album, not thier best work but nor is it thier worst.

Oh and whoever mentioned Splinter EP, I agree.

Stylie
07-29-2008, 04:07 AM
1) When you're in prison: would've been ok as a hidden track, or anything else, but not as a track listed. This dissapoints me.
2) Da Hui: Lyrics & music are bad. It's the worst from their "short songs" (such as So Alone, All Along, etc). It's a filler song.
3) Worst Hangover Ever & Spare me the details: I like both songs, but aren't strong enough to be on an album. Besides, they don't fit in with the rest of the album. I think they should've put one of both in the album. Or Spare (i like this one more), or Worst... Not both of them.
4) The Dark Side: The best of this album. A side we've never know from them, and i like it a lot.
ps:Love the Neocon + The Noose. The 3° best beginning for an Offspring's album.

Yeah, I'm almost 100% agree with you. They could have just cut out When You're In Prison ("what a load of crap that song is") and Da Hui.
Worst Hangover Ever and Spare Me The Details is great songs, I like them. So I'm not complaining about those songs.
And yeah, I LOVE the two first tracks. Such a great kickass start on a album! I've seen those live on youtube now, and damn it's powerfull.

I like the album a lot, it's just sad that they put When You're In Prison and Da Hui on it. Replacing them with some really good tracks, and the album would do a lot better.

Buller
07-29-2008, 04:14 AM
One day when I'm old I'll start a Splinter fanclub :rolleyes:

Love that album

Splinter[PI]
07-29-2008, 09:51 AM

Love that album

I'd join^^

Rutegard
07-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Love that album

i'd join too....by the time we are older...there are not very interesting things to do (specially because at that time the offspring have already break up)

KrispyNotKrunchy
07-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I think Spare Me the Details, Lightning Rod, The Noose, Can't get my head around you are 4 kickass songs. Never Gonna Find Me, Da Hui, Hit That are alright. Worst Hangover Ever and Race Against Myself are TERRIBLLY LAME. Neocon and When You're in Prison aren't even real songs!

Stylie
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I think Spare Me the Details, Lightning Rod, The Noose, Can't get my head around you are 4 kickass songs. Never Gonna Find Me, Da Hui, Hit That are alright. Worst Hangover Ever and Race Against Myself are TERRIBLLY LAME. Neocon and When You're in Prison aren't even real songs!

What are you talking about? :confused::p
Neocon is one of the best openers ever, and Race Against Myself is a very good song.

DUKENT
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Dammit, I Changed Again is from Co1 ! And Splinter is awesome, I love all songs from the album. When You're In Prison is funny, I think it was just a joke, worst hangover ever is good as well, and Da Hui is awesome.

Rooster
07-29-2008, 01:53 PM

I guess you are more new to The Offspring? Because there's no way a long time fan would put Dammit I Changed Again on Splinter. Well, everybody make mistakes ;)

rd1994
03-26-2012, 05:42 AM
I really like that album I agree that it's not one of the best but...I think that there is nice variety on the album. My favorites are: Necon, CGMHAy, Hit that, race against myself, da hui, when you're in prison. Actually I love the whole album. To me the thing with when you're In Prison is that, it is like a dessert. It tries to end the album with something light. I think that if the album had ended with "DA HUI" that to me would be too sudden. It would just end. And to me WyIP is like a sign (don't know if thats the right word) that the record is over. It tries to lighten your mood before it ends, because "DA HUI" may make some people angry and to finish on that note, is, to me not a good idea. So that's what WyIP is there for.

danitanev
03-26-2012, 06:09 AM
I actually like Splinter a lot! I think it's a great album - my favorite songs are The Noose, Hit That, Race Against Myself, Can't Get My (Head Around You), Never Gonna Find Me, Lightning Rod, Long Way Home, Spare Me the Details - the rest are not bad too!

Whats the deal with Splinter? It's not as bad as people are making it out to be, am I the only one who thinks this is actually a pretty good album from them? Save for a couple of throwaway tracks such as When You're in Prison and Neocon (what's the deal with neocon anyways? I'd love to get Dexter's side of the story on this one). But is Splinter widely regarded as their worst record or something? Sure seems that way

keonii7
03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
People are so divided over Splinter, but it's got lots of energy, so I like it. Haters gonna hate.

Microwave Jellyfish
03-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Splinter's a good, but short little ride. I do agree on that it would work better as an EP, sparing the filler and funny stuff.

Either that, or it should feature Defy You and (you knew this was coming) Pass Me By - that way we would be talking about a killer album, probably one of my favorite Offspring records ever. I still rank it over RAFRAG and S/T, tho.

GamerKT
03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
People are so divided over Splinter, but it's got lots of energy, so I like it. Haters gonna hate.

Would you say that the community is... splintered?

GuilhermeOffspring
03-26-2012, 03:07 PM
My favorite Offspring album.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I love Splinter, but it's my least favorite album by them. I still really like it though.

BagOfShenanigans
03-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I love Splinter, but it's my least favorite album by them. I still really like it though.

This is a good summary of it. Most people consider the album good, just not as good as the rest.

weezly
03-26-2012, 11:36 PM
heres my thought
whats good about it - lightening rod, the noose, long way home, cgmhay
these 4 tracks are epic!!!!

the other tracks are all ok, i just dont like the worst hangover, but the rest are ok.

the problem is they have those 4 tracks which just rock with tracks that are "ok" and then add to it the fact its a short album, it just kinda leaves you getting into it and its all over....

the problem people overlook the most - this album is POORLY produced at those drums just do not fit!!!!!! it sounds like metallica and the offspring mixed together! i like the drums on rafrag but that cause its produced much much better.

Defender
03-27-2012, 12:37 AM
"Splinter" is great! It contains at least 8/10 very good songs. (Neocon & When you're in prison don't count as tracks). I think it's an underrated album.

RageAndLov
03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
This is a good summary of it. Most people consider the album good, just not as good as the rest.

I find Splinter to be a better album than S/T, Americana and Co1. Da Hui is one of Offspring's best songs as well.

Degstur Lolland
03-27-2012, 08:28 AM
There is no way in the hell that it's better than Americana.

Da Hui is great for a minute song. :D

Omni
03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Splinter's a good, but short little ride. I do agree on that it would work better as an EP, sparing the filler and funny stuff.

Either that, or it should feature Defy You and (you knew this was coming) Pass Me By - that way we would be talking about a killer album, probably one of my favorite Offspring records ever. I still rank it over RAFRAG and S/T, tho.

Spare You the Fillers, if you don't mind?

I think it's way better than S/T for sure. But RaF,RaG was damn near a masterpiece if you ask me. Probably their second best output, third at worst.

Degstur Lolland
03-27-2012, 12:24 PM
No way RAFRAG is near a masterpiece. No way it's 3rd. Americana, Smash and Ixnay first. Then, you get Ignition, Splinter, Co1, RFRG and ST.

RAFRAG is as good as Splinter at best. Splinter is better as a whole, but it doesn't have strong songs like RFRG.

It was their first diverse album. It's almost like starting again, things are not perfect.

I think they could top the Ixnay's 3rd place with the next new diverse album. I hope it's going to be consistent. The best of the last 2 albums. Strong songs all the way and also interesting as a whole.

Degstur Lolland
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
10th album could be an attempt to get to the Americana or Smash level. Making 9th album really big, blowing it up.

But, I'm not sure, maybe they should implement new styles into their music and not just for one song. Dubstep for example.

With their age growing even change a genre or a style.

There is also a place for surprises, you never know...

Llamas
03-27-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm sure I've posted my opinion on Splinter many times here, but meh, why not do it again??

I wouldn't actively call Splinter a bad album, but even in lieu of the fact that I don't listen to the Offspring too much anymore, Splinter is definitely the album I listen to the least often. I gotta agree with Jacknife, too, and say that had they released it as an EP with Neocon, The Noose, Long Way Home, Never Gonna Find Me, Head Around You, Lightning Rod, and Race Against Myself (throw Da Hui on there, too), it'd have been much more solid. As it stands, I rarely put that album on because I know I'm gonna skip Hit That and Worst Hangover, and then turn it off after Lightning Rod because Da Hui isn't that great to be worth the rest of the album - and Lightning Rod is a nice closer. I can listen to any of their other albums (besides Conspiracy) without skipping any songs (maybe one song), so I'd rather listen to one of those.

BagOfShenanigans
03-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm going to post my opinion as fact. As I am the pure essence of the perfect Offspring fan. Blah blah blah blah blah.
My favorite album is the best one; how dare anyone contradict me!
[/satirical mockery]

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
If the Offspring make a dubstep song, I will do something aggressive and unrealistic (I can't think of anything right now, but I will)

Degstur Lolland
03-27-2012, 05:45 PM
They are not trendy assholes, but Punkstep sounds interesting. Feel free to hit me. :D

Gregmau5
03-27-2012, 11:06 PM
10th album could be an attempt to get to the Americana or Smash level. Making 9th album really big, blowing it up.

But, I'm not sure, maybe they should implement new styles into their music and not just for one song. Dubstep for example.

With their age growing even change a genre or a style.

There is also a place for surprises, you never know...

Offspring and dubstep? Oh god, what has the world come to...

Degstur Lolland
03-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Offspring and dubstep? Oh god, what has the world come to...
It's more like what hasn't the world come to.

However, when you see songs like Fix You or When You're In Prison, anything is possible. It could be subtle and mixed with guitars. Or just an intro.

We also need orchestral punk, who wants to kick me? :D

Microwave Jellyfish
03-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Dubspring? They could try remixing say, YGGFK as a bonus track, but do not list it as a genuine song, like 'Prison was. That's one of the things that made people pissed about Splinter.

I think it's way better than S/T for sure. But RaF,RaG was damn near a masterpiece if you ask me. Probably their second best output, third at worst.
Sure, it's basically a matter of opinion of course. I always thought the general fan reaction to RAFRAG was almost or even more negative than towards Splinter, though. I know it's a topic dicussed to death, but would you tell us your top 3?

No way it's 3rd. Americana, Smash and Ixnay first. Then, you get Ignition, Splinter, Co1, RFRG and ST.
Now that's a rarity too, listing Americana as the 1st. But it's my favorite album too, then comes Ignition and then either Smash or Ixnay.

Llamas
03-28-2012, 05:08 AM
The Offspring needs to put together a Box Set, just how the Barenaked Ladies described it:

Disc One
It's where we've begun, it's all my greatest hits,
And if you are a fan then you know that you've already got 'em

Disc Two
It was all brand new, an album's worth of songs
But we had to leave the whole disc blank
Because some other label bought 'em

Disc Three
This is really me in a grade school play
I had about a hundred thousand lines, but of course I forgot 'em

Disc Four
Never released before and you can tell why
It's just some demos I recorded in my basement

Disc Five
I was barely alive I was coughing up a lung
So they had to use a special computer as my replacement

Disc Six
A dance remix so I can catch the latest trend
And it'll make you scratch your head and wonder where my taste went

So now my fans are crying sellout
They say I've lost my touch
They say I should just get the hell out before I do too much
Hear my songs in an ad for a bathroom cleanser- they say it's greed
And now I'm wondering where my friends are in this time of need
But if you change your mind and buy it, I hope you enjoy my new box
My new box set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewWwMcA2Txs

Do it, Offspring! Do it! ;)

Omni
03-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Sure, it's basically a matter of opinion of course. I always thought the general fan reaction to RAFRAG was almost or even more negative than towards Splinter, though. I know it's a topic dicussed to death, but would you tell us your top 3?

The rogue person has come by and expressed either disinterest or extreme distaste in RaF,RaG, but anyone who has been on this site for years and went through RaF,RaG's release on here can tell you the reaction was almost all positive. In no way whatsoever has it been worse received by the forum community than Splinter.

Llamas
03-28-2012, 06:49 AM
The rogue person has come by and expressed either disinterest or extreme distaste in RaF,RaG, but anyone who has been on this site for years and went through RaF,RaG's release on here can tell you the reaction was almost all positive. In no way whatsoever has it been worse received by the forum community than Splinter.

I have to agree with this. I don't think I saw a single person say they thought RFRG was worse than Splinter. Personally, RFRG is one of my favorites, and was a HUGE step up from Splinter and CO1.

And since he asked and these threads all become ranking threads anyway, my top three are RFRG, Ixnay, and Ignition. Not sure of the order, but those are my favorites. CO1 (#8), Splinter (#7), and Smash (#6) are my least favorites - that order is secured.

Omni
03-28-2012, 07:26 AM
1. Ixnay on the Hombre
2. Either Conspiracy of One or Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
3. Either Conspiracy of One or Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
4. Smash
5. Ignition
6. Americana
7. Splinter
8. The Offspring

RageAndLov
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Come on, Ignition is by far the best album Offspring ever made.

Degstur Lolland
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm talking like know-it-all, but I understand that not everyone is so rigorous and that anyone can really love some specific thing from any album and it becomes their best.

Lol, I don't really remember Splinter BBS, but RFRG reaction was pretty negative in my opinion. I mean all these things like 2nd half of the album not being as good as the 1st one. Then, some annoying influences. I called front cover girlish and didn't like its diversity. We even criticized Hammerhead's video because it had some cheap explosions, but now I consider HH a masterpiece and loving its video too.

But yeah, I'm aware of what people don't like about Splinter. It was discussed to death, later bbs era.

Really difficult to compare them.

randman21
03-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Yeah, immediately after RaFRaG, the negativity had gotten to the point where I nearly stopped coming around. It was really bad. But that didn't last very long, and it was mostly new members/members who had already stopped liking Offspring. Since then, I've been surprised at how much people still like it.

Splinter is the favorite album of one my good friends, who is somewhere between a casual and a big fan.

Degstur Lolland
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Also, lal, Pay The Man alone is better than Splinter. :D Add How You Ever? and The Kids Aren't Alright and it beats the shit out of anything. :D And I'm not gonna mention that it's like 5x or 6x Platinum in the USA and that it was during their career peak or just peak of their career. Oops, I did it. Oh yeah, and that little song called Pretty Fly that exploded, well not really like Smash...

But, yeah, I'm going to admit that I listen to rock music because of Pretty Fly and Americana did it for me.

EDIT: Also, maybe I'd like to hear some provocative argumets, but let's not start a fight. Jokes are welcome. Or just forget it...

BagOfShenanigans
03-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I could never choose a best album. There are just too many songs that I like that weren't on the main 8 albums. Like Can't repeat, the Blurb, Hopeless, acoustic variants, remixes, covers, etc.

Degstur Lolland
03-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I can help you with that. Just forget about b-sides and pick a best album. :D

Or just forget it if you are not in a mood for it.

Defender
03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I am of those who can't choose between Splinter and Rise & Fall,Rage & Grace but tracks as "Fix you" and "Kristy,are you doing ok" make an ....annoying sound in my ears. So I can't put RAF,RAG on a higher level than Splinter.

weezly
03-28-2012, 11:54 PM
how can you like the offspring but not like smash?! how can you like ignition OVER smash, smash just destroys ignition.
bottom line is, i dont really like listening to albums with low recording qualitys such as igniton, smash was a step up in those terms, therefore i prefer it 10 times over ignition.
ignitions an album that needs to be re-recorded.
i guess we will see on the new album.

Defender
03-29-2012, 02:20 AM
how can you like the offspring but not like smash?

I agree!

]i dont really like listening to albums with low recording qualitys such as igniton, smash was a step up in those terms, therefore i prefer it 10 times over ignition.

I disagree! Each album has its own "history",its own sound and its own good & unique moments.

ignition's an album that needs to be re-recorded.

S/T needs to be re-recorded as well.

Dexter_italy
03-29-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't agree. it's cool to listen to a song re-recorded. but a full album would just be a waste of time. S\t re recorded wouldn be S\T for me.

Llamas
03-29-2012, 04:53 AM
I am of those who can't choose between Splinter and Rise & Fall,Rage & Grace but tracks as "Fix you" and "Kristy,are you doing ok" make an ....annoying sound in my ears. So I can't put RAF,RAG on a higher level than Splinter.

I don't like Fix You and Kristy, but those are the worst songs on RFRG, and they're no worse than Worst Hangover Ever, Spare Me the Details, and When You're in Prison. RFRG at least has more songs I like...

how can you like the offspring but not like smash?! how can you like ignition OVER smash, smash just destroys ignition.
bottom line is, i dont really like listening to albums with low recording qualitys such as igniton, smash was a step up in those terms, therefore i prefer it 10 times over ignition.

Who here doesn't like Smash?

And also, lol at your comment. "I am right and you are wrong! Smash is better than Ignition! You can not disagree!" I like Ignition more than Smash. Why? Because it's more fueled-up punk, while Smash has more metal. I prefer the fast adrenaline of Ignition. Plus Ignition doesn't have a single song I don't like; Smash has So Alone (I hate that song) and Killboy Powerhead. Plus I'm not really a big fan of It'll Be A Long Time. I dunno, Ignition is just fun and exciting the whole way through... it's not that I don't like Smash - it has GREAT songs - but just overall, I like Ignition more.

BagOfShenanigans
03-29-2012, 06:04 AM
I can't decide between Smash, and Ixnay. Luckily I don't have to.

RageAndLov
03-29-2012, 07:01 AM

How can you like Smash when Ixnay had higher recording qualities? Ignition doesn't even have any particular low fidelity to it. It's not like it is some kind of lo-fi avant-garde hipsterindie music.
I think Ignition has better songs, better lyrics than Smash, and much more intensity. And like ilovellamas said, the whole album is one joyride without a single bad or mediocre song, while every other album Offspring has ever made do contain such songs.
And I would have killed myself if they were to re-record Ignition. Ignition is the only Offspring album in my top 10 albums of all time, heck even in my top 20 it's that good.

Dexter_italy
03-29-2012, 07:14 AM
What I can't understand here is...since when recording quality makes great songs? if you wanna talk about what kind of sound you like the most it's alright but sound quality cannot make great a bad song or vice versa a good song can't be bad for its sound...and then, why bothering for other's taste... everyone of us has his taste and preferred songs...peace. there's no right or wrong.

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
03-29-2012, 10:12 PM
Smash and Ignition are my top two. I love them both. I usually lean to liking Smash a bit more just because of songs like Self Esteem, Come Out And Play, Gotta Get Away, Genocide, Nitro (Youth Energy), Not The One, Smash (title track), and basically the whole album I guess. My favorites on Ignition would be Kick Him When He's Down, Session, Forever And A Day, Dirty Magic, and Get It Right. Smash is just slightly better in my opinion.

weezly
03-29-2012, 11:23 PM
man, i just dont get the hype of ignition, i don't think any of it is that good, i think its mediocre, i mean you got no idea how much i love this band, but i don't even know how to play any songs bar dirty magic on guitar from igniton.... that says a lot, maybe i just think its the quality, or maybe im just not into it.... smash i fricken love!
if ive listened to co1 100 000 times for example, then ive listen to ignition 50.

weezly
03-29-2012, 11:29 PM
so when you guys say "i hope it sounds like ignition" i think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InsspuvAmBs

Defender
03-30-2012, 12:36 AM
We should open an "Ignition VS Smash" thread. LOL

Llamas
03-30-2012, 05:32 AM
We should open an "Ignition VS Smash" thread. LOL

http://offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=21898&

Defender
03-30-2012, 07:37 AM
http://offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=21898&

The poll you made is much better http://www.offspring.com/community/showthread.php?t=45697!

Degstur Lolland
03-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Whoa guys, now it's Ignition vs. Smash. :D Ignition is such a shiny and lovable album except some darker or odd songs, but you can't discuss it with Smash. That's all.

When it comes to re-recording. No, just no. You'd lose a smell of an era. Also, if you don't know, Ignition is remastered, so there you go.

TheJakes84
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I Splinter by my own design. :rolleyes:

Degstur Lolland
04-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Smash is the way. :rolleyes:

randman21
04-28-2012, 04:41 AM
Ignition, they call it an obsession. :rolleyes:

Gregmau5
04-28-2012, 05:54 AM
It's all distorted in Americana my way:rolleyes:

Jojan
04-28-2012, 05:58 AM
Nobody wins when it's done -- Conspiracy of one.

ThunderPX
04-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Wait, so we've had people quoting Ignition, Smash, Americana, CO1 and Splinter...

... but I don't wanna be the Rise and Fall :(

GamerKT
05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
So, who else agrees that the drums in this album are fucking awesome?

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-01-2012, 11:14 AM
^In Splinter? Or the upcoming album?

GamerKT
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
^In Splinter? Or the upcoming album?

In Splinter...

KickHimWhenHe'sDown
05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
In Splinter...
Aren't I a smart guy?

*Asks what we're talking about in a thread titled Splinter*

Llamas
05-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Haha, with all the talk about the new album, I kinda wondered if he meant the new album, too... you're not alone :)

Unnatural Disaster
05-01-2012, 08:25 PM
So, who else agrees that the drums in this album are fucking awesome?

Hell yeah. Josh Freese is pretty damn good.

GamerKT
05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Hell yeah. Josh Freese is pretty damn good.

Lightning Rod is, like, a drumming masterpiece. On this album more than any other, the drums stand out to me. I mean, I guess Ixnay, too, but this one is frickin' sick.

Unnatural Disaster
05-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Lightning Rod is, like, a drumming masterpiece. On this album more than any other, the drums stand out to me. I mean, I guess Ixnay, too, but this one is frickin' sick.

I was always fond of the drums in Long Way Home. My car steering wheel has taken a beating numerous times because of it.

TheJakes84
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Smash is the way. :rolleyes:

Ignition, they call it an obsession. :rolleyes:

It's all distorted in Americana my way:rolleyes:

Nobody wins when it's done -- Conspiracy of one.

Wait, so we've had people quoting Ignition, Smash, Americana, CO1 and Splinter...

... but I don't wanna be the Rise and Fall :(

bumpin' it in our trunx

GamerKT
05-01-2012, 08:48 PM
bumpin' it in our trunx

As Days Go By, we will see if the new album's drums are like Splinter's.

TheJakes84
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
As Days Go By, we will see if the new album's drums are like Splinter's.

I don't know, we'll see.