PDA

View Full Version : New CD! >w<

Razom
07-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Haldo. ^^
I've been trying to decide which CD to buy next, but I just can't do it. ><
So far I own Splinter, RaFRaG, and Ixnay on the Hombre.
Which one do y'all think is the next best CD?
....Or THE best one?

cool 2 hate 681
07-05-2008, 11:36 PM
i think you should buy in this order;)

1 Americana
2 Smash
3 Conspiracy Of One
4 Ignition
5 The Offspring(debut album)

Razom
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks. ^^
Do you think I might have trouble finding the debut album, though?
Would that be harder to find because it's older?
That's what I was worried about when I was at Best Buy...

And what about the Greatest Hits album?

keonii7
07-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Americana. It's not punk, it's offspring.

jacknife737
07-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I’d go with Americana next.

But if you're really into the fast, punk stuff, Ignition for sure (my personal favourite) it’s the quintessential punk album.

I’d skip the greatest hits if you already own Splinter and Ixnay, its cool to have if you’ve got all the other albums due to the three non-album tracks on it, but not something that I’d recommend to pick up next.

Razom
07-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Okay, thanks, guys.
In fact, I was trying to decide between Ixnay and Americana last time I went to the store...
I figured I'd get Americana if they didn't have it.

cool 2 hate 681
07-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks. ^^
Do you think I might have trouble finding the debut album, though?
Would that be harder to find because it's older?
That's what I was worried about when I was at Best Buy...

And what about the Greatest Hits album?

whatever you do buy greatest hits last it only has 3 new songs on it can't repeat defy you and next to you

but the first cd should not be hard to find at all i saw one at best buy the other day;) too bad now we can only buy the 2001 reissue without the song kill the president:(

Hypodermic_89
07-06-2008, 02:10 AM
It doesn't matter what order you buy them in. Just buy one, listen to it, save up somey money, buy another one, listen to it.. Etc.

ad8
07-06-2008, 02:17 AM
I'd go with Smash or Ignition now. Then Americana or S/T and then Co1

Manzanubrio
07-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm gonna tell u my story

I was goin to a shop with a friend, to see Offspring stuff, and then, my friend appeared with an album: grey cover... it was Self titled! I was excited, and I decided to but that album, and Ignition or smash, but I had not enough money :( So I only bought Self Titled

Then, two days later, I went again to that shop, and I found Ixnay.. so I bought Ignition & Smash remastered, and Ixnay... yesterday, I bought RAF, RAG Japan edition :D

I increased my collection from any Offspring album, to 4 albums in a week... and I still gotta buy Americana...

Blitzkrieg Bop
07-06-2008, 06:28 AM
I would go for Ignition :cool:

crrrN
07-06-2008, 07:24 AM
I think the best thing to do is just, save up enough and buy them all at once. They're all great records.

And if you cant wait that long, just download them and when you do have the money to buy all of 'em, buy 'em.

Jojan
07-06-2008, 07:37 AM
My recommendation order:

Smash
The Offspring
Americana
Ignition
Conspiracy Of One

The self titled album could be hard to find in stores, but on eBay they're pretty cheap, if you're getting the CD. Be sure to get the one from 1995 with the eleventh track, Kill the President.

Stylie
07-06-2008, 10:24 AM
I only had Ixnay on the Hombre as Offspring album, and that was burned on a CD (my brother did it for many years ago) before I bought RAFRAG (x3 - two to my friends), Greatest Hits and Remastered Ignition and Smash for some weeks ago at amazon.com. :)

So just decide yourself. You want the true punk and fast songs sound, you buy S/T and maaaaaaybe all the way up to Ixnay. You want the more "new" sound, you buy Americana and up to RAFRAG.

RageAndLov
07-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I recomend you to buy the album chronologicly, so you will hear how the band develops throughout the years. I've done that with other bands, and it is cool to listen. So the list would be:

1. Self-Titled
2. Ignition
3. Smash
4. Americana
5. Co1

If this sounds boring to you, I would recomend to buy Smash first, to know what Offspring's biggest era would be about :)

Pranksta
07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
It depends whether you want to leave the best for last or not. If you want the best first, get Smash.

Razom
07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
How am I supposed to fined the first album with the 11th track?
I looked on ebay and they only had the re-issued version.

cool 2 hate 681
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
i think all the 11 track versions are pretty much extinct by now:(

bighead384
07-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Man, this brought back memories. I remember when I hadn't heard all The Offspring albums. I was young and didn't have any money, so it took me about 2 years or so to finally hear all of them.

Here's the order I got them:

(1)Americana was the first CD I ever bought. I wasn't a very serious music fan at the time, so I mostly just listened to the hit songs and pretty much ignored the rest of the album. Eventually, I got into some other punk music, and I went back and listened to the rest of the album and found it was right up my alley. I remember I read the "Dexter on Song" for Staring at the Sun and felt like I made a connection with it. It was pretty much the first time I made any connection with lyrics. Then I got (2)Smash, cause I realized that a few songs that I heard on the radio before were Offspring songs from that album. Then (3)CO1 came out, so of course I got that. Next I went back and got (4)Ignition ...I knew I wanted to get one of the first two albums, but I didn't quite feel "ready" for the S/T, because it was so old and had intimidating songs like "Kill The President" and "Beheaded" on it. I fell in love with Ignition just like all the others, and started to become a hardcore fucking fan. So then of course, the appeal of their very first album became too great and I picked up a copy of the (5)S/T. It took a little while to grow on me because I never heard anything with that 80's punk sound before, but eventually it did. Then I finished off with (6)Ixnay, which for many, many years remained my favorite Offspring album. Maybe it still is, I dunno, depends what kind of mood I'm in.

New music seemed so much more special back then. I guess like a lot of other people, I had to wait so long to get new albums because I didn't have money or a cable internet connection and p2p software.

bighead384
07-07-2008, 12:37 AM
After doing this, I now realize why I was so anxious/annoyed at how long I had to wait for RFRAG. At the time I became a hardcore fan, which was around year 2000, I had to deal with only getting two new albums in about 8 years, which lasted all the way until June 2008.

That "my favorite band just released a new album" feeling has only come to me for Splinter and RFRAG, though I've been a fan for 10 whole years.

Keep 'em Seperated
07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Americana was my first Offspring album and I love it. I'd buy that one next because its so varied so you're bound to find something you like.

I've only just bought Ignition and Splinter. The problem I have with Ignition is the equipment its been recorded on isn't very good, its too quiet and Dexters vocals sound off. It also suffers from having Dirty Magic being by far and away the best song and the others being very samey, so it took a while to grow on me. (Tru Punx to have a big cry at my blasphemy).

Splinter meanwhile, is incredibly inconsistent. Half the album is great, then you get songs like Worst Hangover Ever which stick a knife in the throat of the album.

offspringer24
07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
smash is best :)

Count Orlok
07-07-2008, 04:48 AM
I bought my S/T album from eBay,to make sure that ive got the pre-2001 version with Kill The President:D
Awesome song

Rutegard
07-07-2008, 05:30 AM
ixnay and RFRG are the best ones

for me..

Unnatural Disaster
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Buy Americana, and then Smash.

Razom
07-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks everybody. ^^
I think I've decided which order I want to buy them in...
1 - Americana
2 - Smash
3 - Ignition
4 - Co1
5 - Splinter ((gotta return my friends' =P))
And I'll buy the S/T when I can find it, and probably the Greatest Hits after that. =)

jacknife737
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks everybody. ^^
I think I've decided which order I want to buy them in...
1 - Americana
2 - Smash
3 - Ignition
4 - Co1
5 - Splinter ((gotta return my friends' =P))
And I'll buy the S/T when I can find it, and probably the Greatest Hits after that. =)

Good choice.

brothadave79
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM

Get the dualdisc version. The disc may be annoying, but the videos are worth it.

Razom
07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Get the dualdisc version. The disc may be annoying, but the videos are worth it.

Okay, thanks for the advice. ^^