PDA

View Full Version : Local bands that Steal bigger band's riffs.

OffspringHead
07-06-2008, 04:57 PM
So. The music scene (Rockland County) where I live is pretty big and full of a lot of bands that steal either from each other or from other not big bands. Does this happen to anyone else in their music scene. Here are 3 of the biggest examples.

1) A band called the Walking Disasters stole about the first 30 seconds of "Get it Right" by the Offspring. I wish there were a recording of it somewhere but there isn't anymore.

2) A band called Atrium (currently broken up) stole a riff from As I Lay Dying.
Forewarned Future by Atrium (1:00-1:21) http://www.purevolume.com/atriumny
Forever by As I Lay Dying (2:36-2:58)http://youtube.com/watch?v=B6aPKt2R2Bc

3) Now. This one is debated because were not sure which band stole from each other. They are both unsigned, broken up and not very big. The band from my county is called 7 And A Switchblade.
The Path of the Infinite by 7 And A Switchblade (Beginning of the song)http://www.purevolume.com/7andaswitchbladeny
The Archer by Athens is Buring (Beginning of the Song) http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=45531489

Anyone know any local bands/signed bands that has ever done anything like that?

nieh
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I know Ensign stole $500 from my friend's band before they got big, does that count?

Also, my brother's band have 3 older songs where they inadvertently stole stuff from At the Drive In and Tool, but nothing recently.

Forza
07-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Lekker belangrijk...

It's perfectly fine to use riffs of other bands. Firstly, they're not patented and secondly it is impossible to always come up with something that has never been done before.

Jakebert
07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
There's a huge difference between a band sounding similar to other bands and stealing a riff.

The local bands here all rip off Nirvana, which is why I don't go to shows anymore.

nieh
07-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Firstly, they're not patented and secondly it is impossible to always come up with something that has never been done before.

Firstly, music is copyrighted and secondly, while there are a limited number of chord combinations, the way the chords/notes/whatever are arranged and played can always be unique in some way.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Firstly, music is copyrighted and secondly, while there are a limited number of chord combinations, the way the chords/notes/whatever are arranged and played can always be unique in some way.

That's the thing, though...you can copyright a recording but not the notes themselves. Bands can try to sue for riff theft, but it is not generally successful. See also Agent Orange v. The Offspring. Though in that case, Agent Orange was upset that the Offspring dared use the same phrygian scale they used in "Bloodstains," which was of in turn similar to "Miserlou" by Dick Dale which they covered. Boo-urns.

nieh
07-08-2008, 05:51 AM
That's the thing, though...you can copyright a recording but not the notes themselves. Bands can try to sue for riff theft, but it is not generally successful. See also Agent Orange v. The Offspring. Though in that case, Agent Orange was upset that the Offspring dared use the same phrygian scale they used in "Bloodstains," which was of in turn similar to "Miserlou" by Dick Dale which they covered. Boo-urns.

Back in Ancient Egypt
many Pharaohs went to jail
for misappropriation
of my Phrigian scale

But the Agent Orange song really didn't have anything in common with Come Out and Play aside from the scale they were written in. Nirvana lost a lawsuit against Killing Joke for swiping their riff from Eighties (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zlf_17hecY)for Come As You Are even though the rest of the song was very different.

bighead384
07-08-2008, 10:42 AM
[I]

But the Agent Orange song really didn't have anything in common with Come Out and Play aside from the scale they were written in. Nirvana lost a lawsuit against Killing Joke for swiping their riff from Eighties (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zlf_17hecY)for Come As You Are even though the rest of the song was very different.

It's funny...Agent Orange accused Offspring of ripping them off, but they allow them to cover that very same song. I've also heard the TSOL frontman accuse The Offspring of stealing a riff of theirs on stage in this youtube video, yet TSOL is on Nitro Records and Offspring even covered "80 times".

nieh
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
And despite Nirvana losing a court case against Killing Joke for stealing that riff, Dave Grohl still played drums on one of their albums.

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Alright dude i asked you to post similar bands that stole riffs from other bands and all you did was start bitching about copyrights. Don't post in my fucking thread if you dont have bands that sound like each other like i asked. Dipshits.:eek:

nieh
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Bands that sound like each other is a lot different than stealing from each other.

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
They steal the idea of the song from the other bands plain and simple. I'm not saying they took the parts directly but you can tell they listened to the song and said "Hey lets make this one of our songs." They didn't just write the song and have it astonishingly sound almost exactly like the other band. Think logically before replying. Dickhead. :eek:

nieh
07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
They steal the idea of the song from the other bands plain and simple. I'm not saying they took the parts directly but you can tell they listened to the song and said "Hey lets make this one of our songs." They didn't just write the song and have it astonishingly sound almost exactly like the other band. Think logically before replying. Dickhead. :eek:

Actually, when there's enough bands out there with similar taste in music, there's bound to be some accidental overlap in how they sound.

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Dude your wrong but it doesn't matter. I asked for local bands that "steal" from other bands. Post one or shut the fuck up.

nieh
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I posted two already:

I know Ensign stole $500 from my friend's band before they got big, does that count?

Also, my brother's band have 3 older songs where they inadvertently stole stuff from At the Drive In and Tool, but nothing recently.

IamSam
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Dude your wrong but it doesn't matter. I asked for local bands that "steal" from other bands. Post one or shut the fuck up.

See? This is why no one likes you.

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
No one likes me because I listen to metal and you punk fags listen to shit music that 13 year old girls go fanatic over. Offspring is the only band that can be considered great in a genre full of shitty, whiny bands.

nieh
07-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh wow, you listen to METAL!? You must be so hardcore!

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I listen to metal, not hardcore. Hardcore is yet another shitty sub-genre of punk. Another point proven. :eek:

IamSam
07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I listen to metal, not hardcore. Hardcore is yet another shitty sub-genre of punk. Another point proven. :eek:

You're a fucktard. He didn't say you listened to hardcore, but you were hardcore because you listened to metal.

PS: Don't diss on peoples musical likes and dislikes. If it's what they like, let it be. Don't be a douche.

jacknife737
07-08-2008, 07:35 PM
No one likes me because I listen to metal and you punk fags listen to shit music that 13 year old girls go fanatic over. Offspring is the only band that can be considered great in a genre full of shitty, whiny bands.

Well i don't see how anyone could possibly argue against that logic.

I mean, just look at how hardcore these guys are,

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/twistedsisterphoto.jpg

MeTaL 4 LiFe

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 07:36 PM
PS: Don't diss on peoples musical likes and dislikes. If it's what they like, let it be. Don't be a douche.

Stop being a pussy. Just post about the thread faggot. I know he didn't say I listened to hardcore, but saying I'm hardcore would mean I listened to that shitty genre. Fuckass :eek:

OffspringHead
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.chiodos.net/media/photos/chiodos01.jpg

New age hair metal? Punk rock and hardcore

IamSam
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Stop being a pussy. Just post about the thread faggot. I know he didn't say I listened to hardcore, but saying I'm hardcore would mean I listened to that shitty genre. Fuckass :eek:

You're to stupid to think logically, or at the very least pretend to think logically.

And why would I post about the topic at hand when it has already been discussed fully?

Oh, and jacknife737 for the mother effing win.

Llamas
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I think either someone hacked offspringhead's account, or someone dared him to get banned.

0r4ng3
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Wait, isn't hardcore essentially an offshoot of metal? At least, I think that's how it started.

Edit: Wikipedia tells me otherwise. Oh well.

Conspiracyof1000
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
There's so much anger in this thread.

Out of all the local bands around here, most have seemed original, excluding the fact that every single one of them has a cover of First Date by Blink 182.

Jakebert
07-08-2008, 11:07 PM
The big cover that every local band here does is a "hilariously ironic" cover of "867-5309". I went to a festival of local bands a year ago, and I swear that every single band out of a line up of 10 bands played their own version.