PDA

View Full Version : Jakebert's Music Thought of the Day.

Jakebert
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I miss Marilyn Manson. Not musically, because a.) I'm not a big fan, and b.) he's still recording music, but I miss the days when a rock star could frighten the world and stir up controversy like that. I remember when Manson first got big, and his controversy was the biggest thing ever. My parents were convinced that if I listened to him, I would go out and kill people, and that seemed to be the norm.

We haven't had anything like that since him, really. Eminem was pretty up there for a while, but I don't think he reached the level Manson did. And after Eminem, I don't think we've had any big, controversial musicians. I think the closest has been the Dixie Chicks, and that died out pretty fast.

Basically, what I'm saying is, that we need a big shocking, offensive, "dangerous", and "scary" rockstar to come scare the world again. That interests me more than being afraid of our own president.

H1T_That
07-07-2008, 01:01 PM
I generally agree. Although my reasons are pretty elitist. Let me explain...

If a new 'controversial' artist were to emerge, the only thing i would gain from it is to laugh at how terrible they will most likley be.....

Truth is though, no one really gives a fuck anymore...

Endymion
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
on a related topic -- new genres of music use to scare people. rock & roll, rap, punk, what have you. parents thought it was the downfall of society. but what is left? the age of cheap electronics opened us up to completely arbitrary waveforms. i'm not going to say something stupid like "music has reached its end", but can we have a musical revolution, where some new generation of music sounds like nothing that has been remotely mainstream before?

Jakebert
07-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I think it's possible, as tgere are certainly excellent forms of original music being developed in the underground music world. That's not to say it's stuff that will scare/offend folks, but you never know.

And really, Manson, Eminem, Ozzy, ect. really weren't all that innovative in making new sounds. They just made new images for themselves that hadn't been done before. The image was always more important than the music.

nieh
07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
on a related topic -- new genres of music use to scare people. rock & roll, rap, punk, what have you. parents thought it was the downfall of society. but what is left? the age of cheap electronics opened us up to completely arbitrary waveforms. i'm not going to say something stupid like "music has reached its end", but can we have a musical revolution, where some new generation of music sounds like nothing that has been remotely mainstream before?

I dunno, if something like noise-rock or grindcore suddenly became huge, I think parents would be freaked out by it.

GBH2
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
artists these days are all pussies. bands are content to be politically ignorant fags; they spount off generic left wing crap if they ever dare to venture into anything controversial. plus with things like myspace, there are so many more ways to expose yourself as a band, which dramatically increases the number of bands out there on fuse and mtv that fade just as quickly as they come. basically, bands become completely unmemorable, too scared to do anything different and edgy. there are no good "scary" frontmen because there all conformist pussies. ooh, look at me, i have a bad haircut and wear retro clothing.

going with what endymion said, everyone nowaydays seems to be content to emulate acts of the past, and there are no [prominent][i'm not really ready to say there aren't any anywhere] visionaries pioneering anything besides the same emo shit and indie shit and metal shit we've heard so many times by better artists.

right now i happen to be listening to queens of the stone age, and it occurs to me that they are about the only modern [mainstream-ish] rock band out now that really has their own unique sound and thinks outside the box. to wrap it up, this has just turned into a rant of why modern music sucks.

Endymion
07-08-2008, 02:48 AM
whoa now, i didn't mean to imply there was nothing new going on in music. what i meant was that the electronic age has opened us up to literally any sound imaginable and the landscape has been flooded by the mass-audience that is the internet. can music get any more musically "extreme" than, say, harsh noise which is entirely distortion and feedback? i believe that the borders of the musical soundscape have mostly been found, and all that is left is fleshing out the interior.

Bodom J
07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
modern music doesn't suck. Music is just as good these days as it ever was. you just have to step outside the mainstream and check out the underground. Plenty of good bands there.

bighead384
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
I think it's because "shocking" appearances and purposely offensive lyrics have both already been pushed to an extreme that is impossible to exceed. Seriously, even with your wildest imagination you can't think of any kind of lyrics or image that can shock people anymore. Actually, I think underground artists will always try to push the limits, but we've reached a point where you can no longer market someone like Manson or Eminem simply based on their shock value alone anymore.

Llamas
07-08-2008, 02:28 PM

When Slipknot and Mudvayne and Disturbed and Korn were super popular, I remember thinking, what are they possibly going to do next? There is no music I can think of more amazingly obnoxious and potentially offensive to right wing parents than banging on instruments and screaming about killing yourself and hate. Especially while wearing nasty masks and never bathing or grooming.

I actually had hoped that Pink's "Dear Mr. President" song would get more attention and cause a stir... but nobody cared. Oh well. I used to think that Pink was pretty good at being controversial... but now she's kinda lame.

I'm also reminded of RATM's music video like 10 years back that got banned from MTV cause it was anti-government or something. OH and Britney's video where she kills herself at the end that got banned. Banning is boring... people need to overreact more.

Jebus
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
In terms of western music, I haven't really seen any artists experimenting with pitches outside the 12 traditional notes. You know, like using something in between A# and B in conjunction with the normal notes. That would be an interesting thing to see in the future. Of course, that still isn't really anything new outside of western music.

Endymion
07-09-2008, 01:46 AM
harry partch is awesome.

WebDudette
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/zfzdfcs.jpg

WebDudette
07-09-2008, 02:19 AM
[i'm not really ready to say there aren't any anywhere] visionaries pioneering anything besides the same emo shit and indie shit and metal shit we've heard so many times by better artists.

right now i happen to be listening to queens of the stone age, and it occurs to me that they are about the only modern [mainstream-ish] rock band out now

Mainstream maybe, but I don't think you are looking in the right places if you can't find anything new and interesting.

I also think you misunderstood endymion.

Endymion
07-09-2008, 03:00 AM
so picture this: you take a wide sampling of today's music, go back in time 100 years, and play it for them. people would be like "what the fuck? i did *not* see that coming!" i think that if someone 100 years in the future took a wide sample of their music and played it for people now, the responce would have much less surprise.

Jakebert
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM

Holy hell, I just got Dain'd.

WebDudette
07-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Haha, I was going to say that but I figured there was slight chance you posted it.

But if not you then who?

Jakebert
07-10-2008, 09:34 AM
With the influx of new people, there's too many people it could be to guess.

GBH2
07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Mainstream maybe, but I don't think you are looking in the right places if you can't find anything new and interesting.

I also think you misunderstood endymion.

no, i was referring just to mainstream; as i alluded to in my post, it would be dumb to suggest that there is nothing going on underground

Llamas
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Link to said message board?

QOTSA is far from the only mainstream rock band these days... Raconteurs/White Stripes? Foo Fighters? Jet? Red Hot Chili Peppers? OK Go? Hives? Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Strokes? Weezer? Killers? I could go on and on...

WebDudette
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
4chan /mu/.

That thread is probably long gone by now and all the posters are anonymous.

nieh
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
QOTSA is far from the only mainstream rock band these days... Raconteurs/White Stripes? Foo Fighters? Jet? Red Hot Chili Peppers? OK Go? Hives? Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Strokes? Weezer? Killers? I could go on and on...
I think you only saw the part PilZ-E quoted:

athey are about the only modern [mainstream-ish] rock band out now that really has their own unique sound and thinks outside the box.