PDA

View Full Version : hammerhead vid was it us

the hitcher
07-07-2008, 08:07 PM
dont know if this has been said but do you guys ever wonder
why the hammerhead vid is based round war
couse we all know by now its about a school shooting

The question is
is the vid made into a war theame couse most of us from this site back then thought the song was about war
in one way or another when we heard the live version from japan

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
If I remember right, most people thought it was going to be about religion back then.

There's a lot of war imagery in the lyrics so it's an obvious place to go for the video. It's about a school shooter who thinks of himself as being in a war, so it's not so far off. The video takes the war imagery and makes a lot of social commentary.

the hitcher
07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
If I remember right, most people thought it was going to be about religion back then.

There's a lot of war imagery in the lyrics so it's an obvious place to go for the video. It's about a school shooter who thinks of himself as being in a war, so it's not so far off. The video takes the war imagery and makes a lot of social commentary.

yeah but after the religion thing we all did think it was about war
what im sayining is did we have a influance on the vid

Conspiracyof1000
07-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't think so.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 08:25 PM
I just think the lyrics would be a more likely source of the war images than us.

Conspiracyof1000
07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
The Hammerhead video was insane at any rate.

brothadave79
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I apologize in advance if I tick off anyone who likes the video, and I understand this is just my opinion. I feel, and it may be just me, that the Hammerhead video tried to provide a social commentary on the Iraq war that was meant to be portrayed as "edgy" but ended up completely ignoring the true meaning of the song (as explained by Dexter and Noodles).

By now, many people have formulated their own opinions on the conflict in Iraq and it feels like the video finds itself late to the anti-Bush party.

In my opinion, had the video STARTED like it was about the Iraq war, just as the lyrics do, people would view it as "okay, it's the Iraq war again," only to have the subject visually switch to the problem of school violence - a problem that only gets addressed at the expense of innocent lives. That would be a multi-layered commentary on the ubiquitous coverage of the Iraq War and school violence and the unfortunate lack of interest in school security that now threatens American universities, as the shooters unsurprisingly seem to be getting older. Such a handling of these topics would have a lot more edge than yet another criticism of the handling of the Iraq war.

I feel like the video went the safe route with the imagery of the Iraq war and anti-republican sentiment at the expense of the song's actual meaning.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 09:10 PM
I hear you, Dave, but I think videos tend to fail a lot more when they literally re-enact the song.

Prime example: "Down Under" by Men At Work -- http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew

brothadave79
07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I hear you, Dave, but I think videos tend to fail a lot more when they literally re-enact the song.

Prime example: "Down Under" by Men At Work -- http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew

Haha, maybe you're right. Supposing that a literal interpretation might be worse I still might rather see yet another performance video than one that skirts the song's better meaning for something somewhat cliche. But maybe I'm just being too nitpicky.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I'd love to see some of the videos in the ideas thread come to being. :)

JohnnyNemesis
07-07-2008, 09:35 PM
I'd just like to say that I don't think the song is about war and not about school shootings, or vice versa. The song is about both, and what makes it work so well is that it's almost a plot-based song that sneaks in a twist-ending that makes you go "whooooa!". It's not either/or; it's both, and it's trying to make a connection between the two...

That's what I think anyway.

Little_Miss_1565
07-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I feel like it's about a crazy person who makes too much connection between the two. Nah mean?

The Search Button
07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
The video fails miserably. Where are the sharks, god damn it?

That's like so untrue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDS8tzdwsv4

Little_Miss_1565
07-08-2008, 05:35 AM
That's like so untrue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDS8tzdwsv4

*facepalm*

ernesto88
07-08-2008, 07:02 AM
here the answer:

text on english version:

Interviews> The Offspring
"Nobody likes to die young"
From Los Angeles, Dexter Holland and Noodles defending their longevity and model healthy and multiplatino punk rock.
Txt Jose Fine. Special Envoy to Los Angeles

The Bull of The Offspring is in Huntington Beach, an hour from downtown Los Angeles. It's the cost of parking and great part of a series of offices in row. The only open is the headquarters of the banda punk rock taquillera most of history, with forgiveness of Green Day.

There is a living full of sweets, two refrigerators full of soft drinks and beer (they only take Crown). Many Mexican iconography on the walls of gold discs and almost every country in the world. According to his biography, would add 34 million copies sold around the globe. If we add to that merchandising, contracts, shows and copyrights ... Má whether, if I return to open the refrigerator nobody is going to be bankrupt. From a side wall, the diploma of pilot singer Dexter Holland (which actually is called Bryan), monitors the timid looting.

The fact is that the office, supplemented by a study room and testing, is full of journalists. Some of Korea, a Japanese. They spend the minutes and hours. They (the guitarist Dexter Holland and Noodles), leaving and entering, and greet will take a bit of air in the parking lot. From a workshop near the fires FM classics to a significant volume. At the back of one of those trips, Dexter us load be listening Journey. What we do not know is that for a while before I'd dreamed about Want It That Way, classic Backstreet Boys, whose silhouettes banda cardboard off with batazos baseball in the tour that brought them a second time to Buenos Aires in 1999. "Now who you Peg? I do not know ... I suppose those of American Idol," simultaneous match in Dexter and Noodles.

-- Was not too obvious what? Are not more enemies that emptied the contents of the things we like?

Noodles:-Rather it was to destroy machinery, the imposition of a disposable model. In those days you could not put the radio without leaving these boys bands ...

Dexter:-Things have not improved much ...

But at least, from 90 to the public here of music that makes you grew up and made them millionaires. Is not that good? Or seduces them more model Sid Vicious?

Dexter: - OK, I surrender! Nobody likes to die young and all this stupidity. Far from it that your work is not remunerated. Definitely succeed in what we achieved on our own terms. And bands like Nirvana, Green Day or pavement us a way to the punk rock reached platinum sales. But we are also going the way banks in a tight traffic, eating once a day and playing in inappropriate places.

- Last year, Radiohead auction on the Internet and his record there was talk of revolution. How they felt about it, when you had done the same with "Conspiracy of One" (2000)?

Noodles:-We were watching CNN and the announcer said something like that. We said: "Guauu, that we know." At that time anticipating what we exit and Sony led us to court. Finally, which was arranged that the mere Original prankster could be downloaded free. I think, ultimately, that the music industry has not yet made the height of technological advances and new uses that consumers have. While this is clarified, what we have left is to continue doing the best records possible.

- Speaking of that, "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" is a dye concept. Is That is the intention?

Dexter: - I wanted to have more dragons and knights, but Noodles did not let me! Seriously, I do not think it is, but there is a hilación theme and a series of observations that can be listened to do so well.

-- Why it chose as producer Bob Rock? Why it took patience to Metallica?

Noodles:-Rather it is a great rate and a large producer. When a banda want to do something big and reinvent itself without leaving their roots, calls it. And the surname is enormous: ROCK.

In the hard-there are different characters in first person. What kind of kid is "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"?

Dexter:-It referred to such psychopaths youth that can lead to ruin their targets. It is not necessary to arrive at the ends of Ultraviolence Columbine to hurt someone.

- In court, "Hammerhead", the protagonist is a prototype violent ...

Dexter:-This is the viewpoint of someone convinced that his is the only law. He speaks a bit of good and evil and that there were no differences according to those who set forth.

- Listening to the disc, it seems that all the characters are 18 years. It was also well with his first hit ( "Come Out and Play", 94) and "Pretty Fly" (98). Are tied to compose the fans?

Dexter:-The essence of our music is an accumulation are feelings that are manifested in all its splendor on youth. But I do not think that the doubts, the anguish and split personality are unrelated to any age of any person anywhere.

original text: on spanish:
ENTREVISTA > THE OFFSPRING

"A nadie le gusta morir joven"

Desde Los Ángeles, Dexter Holland y Noodles defienden su ya longevo modelo de punk rock sano y multiplatino.

Txt José Bellas. Enviado especial a Los Angeles

El bulo de The Offspring queda en Huntington Beach, a una hora del centro de Los Angeles. Está al costado de un estacionamiento grandísimo y forma parte de una serie de oficinas en hilera. La única abierta es el cuartel general de la banda de punk rock más taquillera de la historia, con perdón de Green Day.

Hay: un living lleno de golosinas, dos heladeras llenas de gaseosas y cervezas (ellos sólo toman Corona). Mucha iconografía mexicana en las paredes y discos de oro de casi todos los países del mundo. Según su biografía, sumarlos daría 34 millones de copias vendidas alrededor del planeta. Si a eso le sumamos el merchandising, los contratos, los shows y los derechos de autor... Má si, si vuelvo a abrirles la heladera nadie va a quedar en bancarrota. Desde una pared lateral, el diploma de piloto del cantante Dexter Holland (que en realidad se llama Bryan), vigila el tímido saqueo.

El caso es que la oficina, que se completa con un estudio y sala de ensayo, está llena de periodistas. Algunos de Corea, una japonesa. Pasan los minutos y las horas. Ellos (Dexter Holland y el guitarrista Noodles), salen y entran, saludan y van a tomar un poco de aire por el parking. Desde un taller cercano la FM dispara clásicos a un volumen importante. Al regreso de uno de esos paseos, Dexter nos carga por estar escuchando Journey. Lo que no sabe es que un rato antes había sonado I Want It That Way, clásico de Backstreet Boys, la banda a cuyas siluetas de cartón descabezaba con batazos de béisbol en la gira que los trajo por segunda vez a Buenos Aires, en 1999. "¿Ahora a quién le pegaríamos? No sé... supongo que a los de American Idol", coinciden en simultáneo Dexter y Noodles.

-¿No era demasiado obvio aquello? ¿No son más enemigos los que vacían de contenido las cosas que nos gustan?

Noodles: -Más bien lo que destruíamos era la maquinaria, la imposición de un modelo descartable. En aquellos días no podías poner la radio sin que salieran esas boys bands...

Dexter: -Las cosas no han mejorado mucho...

-Pero al menos, desde los 90 para acá el público de la música que ustedes hacen creció y los hizo millonarios. ¿No es bueno eso? ¿O les seduce más el modelo Sid Vicious?

Dexter: -¡Ok, me rindo! A nadie le gusta morir joven y toda esa estupidez. Ni mucho menos que tu trabajo no sea remunerado. Definitivamente logramos lo que logramos en nuestros propios términos. Y bandas como Nirvana, Green Day o nosotros pavimentamos un camino para que el punk rock llegara a ventas de platino. Pero también nos bancamos el camino de ir apretados en una traffic, comiendo una vez al día y tocando en lugares inadecuados.

(...)

-Hablando de eso, "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace" tiene como un tinte conceptual. ¿Esa es la intención?

Dexter: -¡Yo quería que hubiera más dragones y caballeros, pero Noodles no me dejó! En serio, no creo que lo sea, pero hay una hilación temática y una serie de observaciones que puede que lo hagan ser escuchado así.

-¿Por qué lo eligieron a Bob Rock como productor? ¿Por la paciencia que le tuvo a Metallica?

Noodles: -Más bien porque es un gran tipo y un gran productor. Cuando una banda quiere hacer algo grande y reinventarse sin salirse de sus raíces, lo llama. Y el apellido es mayúsculo: ROCK.

-En el disco hay distintos personajes en primera persona. ¿Qué clase de pibe es el de "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid"?

Dexter: -Está referido a esa clase de psicópatas juveniles que pueden llevar a la ruina a sus blancos. No es necesario llegar a los extremos ultraviolentos de Columbine para hacerle daño a alguien.

-En el corte, "Hammerhead", el protagonista es un prototipo violento...

Dexter: -Es el punto de vista de alguien convencido de que su ley es la única. Habla un poco del bien y el mal y que no hay diferencias según quien lo enuncie.

-Escuchando el disco, parece que todos los personajes tienen 18 años. También era así con su primer hit ("Come Out and Play", 94) y con "Pretty Fly" (98). ¿Están atados a componerle a los fans?

Dexter: -La esencia de nuestra música es un cúmulo se sensaciones que se manifiestan en todo su esplendor en la juventud. Pero no creo que las dudas, la angustia y la doble personalidad sean ajenas a cualquier edad de cualquier persona en cualquier sitio.

Free?
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
To me Hammerhead seems to be about both soldiers and school shooters. It's like looking at mistakes of war through the eyes of a school murderer and showing some similarities. You can read a line twice and interpret it in 2 different ways, and the both meanings will sound good which is really amazing thing. Like "brothers in arms" can mean soldiers and school shooters ( Camilamazed \o/ ;) ) at the same time for example.
So what i want to say is that Hammerhead isn't just only about school shooters, it's aswell about blind soldiers that believe they "serve a greater good" and use "I'm just doing what I'm told" as an excuse, about how people (not only soldiers or school maniacs) prefer to shut their eyes and not to think before making a big mistake when it's easier for them to do so, about how it's nothing unusual in our world and "that's just the way it goes", about that there are allways two sides and nothing is absolute good or evil and if you keep living with only your point of view you may make some huge mistakes without even realizing that you are wrong...
Don't use Dexter's words to make it sound like it's only about school shootings. But maybe I'm wrong and it's all just my imagination, nothing is absolute you know.... :P

Dexter:-This is the viewpoint of someone convinced that his is the only law. He speaks a bit of good and evil and that there were no differences according to those who set forth.

That was what the song is about.
And I really don't think that forum members had any influences on the video.