PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from spid0r keepers

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Allo. I'll be purchasing my first spider in a couple of week's time, so at the moment I'm currently doing my research so I don't kill the thing in the first week. Thing is, I've got a lot of different advice on two main issues - feeding and handling - and I wondered if anyone here's kept a spider and can give me some advice?

First - feeding. I'll be getting a Chilean Rose, and I'm told they feed mostly on crickets, which is cool. Thing is - should it be one or two crickets every couple of days, or 4 to 6 once a week? The opinions have been about 50/50 on this and I wanna get it down. Also, how should the crickets be stored? Seperate jar, seperate room, but otherwise left to live normally, or a different way?

Another is handling. Amagawd, the advice for thsi has given me such a headache. Some say lots, some say a bit, some say not at all. So far, the only thing I've been able to decide is a 7 day introduction period when I don't handle him at all, so he can get used to his new territory - since they're territorial anyway. But after that, what's the beef? Lots, some, or not at all?

Any advice is appreciated.

PS. Yeah spiders are lyk totally gross. Get over it.

PPS. He'll be called Shahraz. lol wownerd.

Rag Doll
07-08-2008, 11:00 AM
My dad used to have a tarantula (rose haired? i don't know..). We fed her small crickets (12) once a week. We just threw them all in the tank with her at once and she ate them when she got hungry. We didn't store them, we just went to the pet store and bought them on feeding days. We never handled her. They are territorial, they jump, and they bite. My dad had another tarantula years earlier and he never handled that one either. That one he fed baby mice (they're called pinkies...) instead of crickets. It'd get those once a month.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I agree the general advice with tarantulas is not to handle, but in the Chilean's case it's so ridiculously docile that it even gives you a warning before it bites, it's that desperate to avoid actually doing it.

Pinkies are a no-no. Even fully grown it couldn't handle one - they only grow up to about 5 inches long.

MANDATORY PICTURE

http://www.tarantulaguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/chilean-rose-hair-tarantula.jpg

Aww.

Rag Doll
07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that's actually what we had. It looks just like it and quick google search only came up with that type of spider when looking up rose haired.

I didn't pay much attention to it and neither did my mom (though, she had to take care of it). All we can really remember is she didn't move around too much and she shed a lot.

A former neighbor apparently had one that she would hold and let it wander around on the kitchen table and stuff. *shrug*

My dad's first one used to get out all the time. Luckily, that was before I lived with him. My mom thinks he used to hold it until one day it jumped at him and bit him.

leo3375
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
A Chilean Rose is an excellent choice for a first tarantula! I've had my little Artemisia since 2004 and she's still very healthy.

So feeding is the first issue. I usually get a dozen crickets once or twice a month and feed them to her one at a time. Usually she'll eat a bunch in a row. If she doesn't take the food after 24 hours it's best to get the cricket our of there and try again in about a week. Tarantulas are ambush hunters, and are opportunistic at that. They don't wander off to look for food and instead sit and wait for something to come their way. I've thought about trying small roaches and grubs but all I've given her so far are crickets. And baby mice are out of the question!

As for storing crickets, I have a Kricket Keeper. It's a Kritter Keeper designed specifically for crickets. It comes with tubes and feeding dishes. I give them a cricket meal a Water Bites. Don't use sponges or paper towels in their water supply because they're breeding grounds for germs.

Next issue is handling. I haven't handled Artemisia yet because I'm scared I'll hurt her. And in my experience cleaning her enclosure after a molt, my hands get really itchy for a few days, even after washing them thoroughly. It's best to make sure the spider isn't hungry and get a feel for their personality first. They're very tactile creatures so the feel of human skin will be very new. Excessive handling is strongly discouraged. Also, don't handle a tarantula when it's in its molt period (before and after a molt). After the molt is complete, wait a week or two before feeding again. When the spider is eating again, that's when it's safe to clean out the cage.

Here's a message board where you can discuss tarantulas and get tips, tricks, and learn a few more things:
http://www.arachnoboards.com

And how could I post in a tarantula/spider thread without including a picture of Artemisia Rose herself?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/leo3375/spidey.jpg

Sinister
07-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't know crap about spider-handling, but I think the topic I wanna ask about is related enough. Anyone has anything to say about snakes? (other than that I should not bring mine on a plane once I have one)

leo3375
07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I don't know crap about spider-handling, but I think the topic I wanna ask about is related enough. Anyone has anything to say about snakes? (other than that I should not bring mine on a plane once I have one)

Research it first, since not all snakes require the exact same care. And you don't want to be the guy who gets the cute little snake that grows up into a 20-foot basilisk.

But back on topic. Chilean Roses are known for their quirks. They're excellent at making people crazy! They can go for months without eating, even when a molt isn't coming. And just because they're docile as a species doesn't mean they're all like that. Several people have downright mean or psychotic Rosies.

Bipolar Bear
07-08-2008, 01:05 PM
http://andrearf.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/piggg.jpg