PDA

View Full Version : What do The Offspring have against the 1st two albums?

one hundred punks
07-08-2008, 08:19 PM
What is the reason these albums are neglected in concert? It isn't like the songs sound dated. Also, they are widely available. I know there are gonna be people who say they have to promote the new album but I would think they could still fit in at least 2 from the first two albums. Have they talked about this?

jacknife737
07-08-2008, 08:27 PM
What is the reason these albums are neglected in concert? It isn't like the songs sound dated. Also, they are widely available. I know there are gonna be people who say they have to promote the new album but I would think they could still fit in at least 2 from the first two albums. Have they talked about this?

Although I wish they played more older stuff at concerts, the usual excuse is that they are "crowd killers", ie a lot of people are not familiar with them. Although, I think when the band starts their own headlining tour we may see some more older stuff; since during the 05 warped tour they started reaching back to stuff they rarely play, and at a recent club show in Paris they played both Session and Beheaded.

Tijs
07-08-2008, 08:28 PM
They've talked about this very often. The reason they don't play songs from the first two albums anymore is because a lot of people in the crowd don't know those songs. So to avoid people staring at them they play all the songs everyone knows, which makes for a better show.

edit: Too late, I just backed up what 737 said.

one hundred punks
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
They've talked about this very often. The reason they don't play songs from the first two albums anymore is because a lot of people in the crowd don't know those songs. So to avoid people staring at them they play all the songs everyone knows, which makes for a better show.

I would think people that are spending 40 bucks or more to see them might be familiar with their old material.I can see not playing it for a festival show but why not when they headline small clubs? If they don't know them, maybe they would go out and buy them after hearing the material live.

Rag Doll
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
A lot of people go to shows just to go. It's somewhere to meet people, something to do, somewhere to get drunk, etc. Or maybe they heard a few songs on the radio and figured, "hey, why not?" It's pretty common to only play the big songs or most recent songs. Just because you paid $40 for the ticket doesn't mean you know the band's entire catalog.

Tijs
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, the albums are between 19 and 16 years old. The average fan is about 16 years old I think. They weren't even around yet and certainly not into any form of music.

Whenever I see a band, I only know a few albums, not their whole discography.

one hundred punks
07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
A lot of people go to shows just to go. It's somewhere to meet people, something to do, somewhere to get drunk, etc. Or maybe they heard a few songs on the radio and figured, "hey, why not?" It's pretty common to only play the big songs or most recent songs. Just because you paid $40 for the ticket doesn't mean you know the band's entire catalog.

I can name plenty of bigger bands than Offspring who switch up their set.So, they should only play the hits then? Sorry, that is not enough of a reason. Do you think people are going to walk out mad cause the band plays say,Jennifer, Kick Him and I ll be waiting? I highly doubt that.

jacknife737
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
I can name plenty of bigger bands than Offspring who switch up their set.So, they should only play the hits then? Sorry, that is not enough of a reason. Do you think people are going to walk out mad cause the band plays say,Jennifer, Kick Him and I ll be waiting? I highly doubt that.

To be perfectly honest, I agree with you. The band should mix up their setlist more often, but then again, I do understand why they like to play stuff that everyone can get into. As well, like i mentioned earlier, it seems as if the band is starting to add more older tracks into their setlists, so no need to get too worked up over this.

Rag Doll
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
It's about creating a fun time for everyone there AND the band. People wouldn't walk out over Kick Him, but 90% of the people probably wouldn't know it either. Then the energy dies. And maybe the band isn't having as much fun. You know?

My favorite band is The Smashing Pumpkins. I saw them recently and they played a few old and rare songs (b-sides, etc). Most people there were like, "uh wtf"...and the energy was definitely kinda sucked out of the room for those songs. It was a bit awkward, despite the fact that I totally LOVED it (because one of those was my favorite song).

It isn't that fun for a band to play songs that most people aren't in to.

one hundred punks
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM
It's about creating a fun time for everyone there AND the band. People wouldn't walk out over Kick Him, but 90% of the people probably wouldn't know it either. Then the energy dies. And maybe the band isn't having as much fun. You know?

My favorite band is The Smashing Pumpkins. I saw them recently and they played a few old and rare songs (b-sides, etc). Most people there were like, "uh wtf"...and the energy was definitely kinda sucked out of the room for those songs. It was a bit awkward, despite the fact that I totally LOVED it (because one of those was my favorite song).

It isn't that fun for a band to play songs that most people aren't in to.

90%-doubtful. These albums are not exactly underground, I would imagine they have to be past one million sales by now. I don't think the energy of the show is going to suffer because they break out some songs that the audience may not know.

Rag Doll
07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
They aren't underground, but how many people know about them? Honestly, I think the average ticket buyer doesn't know they have cds before Smash. And the average ticket buyer may not be a big enough fan to really enjoy listening to all these songs they don't know. So for non-singles, they stick to more recent stuff since people are more likely to know them. Even if a million people owned them....do you think everyone at a particular venue will own those cds? Even 50%? Doubtful.

Last time I saw them, most of the people around me only knew Pretty Fly, Original Prankster, and Hit That (and maybe stuff like Why Don't You.... They looked thoroughly confused by most older stuff. *shrug*

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

IamSam
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Wow. Talk about stubborn.

I'll be honest, I'd be slightly disappointed if they broke out some of the older stuff to replace the newer stuff. Unless it was one of these 4 songs:

Kick Him When He's Down
Session
Beheaded
Jennifer Lost the War

The thing is that they have so many great songs to choose from why not choose songs the majority know and love instead of always pandering to the small minority who think they are entitled?

Moose
07-08-2008, 09:37 PM
it would be nice to eliminate certain songs like why dont you get a job, shes got issues, walla walla, original prankster, hit that, pretty fly (not happening) from the set list and throw in some older stuff from ignition and self-titled...2 to 4 of the old songs isnt going to kill a show, but itll make a lot of the hardcore fans happy...

...or instead of taking away from the set, they can add 3 songs...

Jaded skies
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
really i dont think it would be an energy killer. When ever i hear them live saying "Lets play some old shit", the crowd seems pretty pumped to me.

And if they havnt heard the song, whats the difference between an old song and a brand new song?

Ninty Man
07-08-2008, 11:11 PM
really i dont think it would be an energy killer. When ever i hear them live saying "Lets play some old shit", the crowd seems pretty pumped to me.

And if they havnt heard the song, whats the difference between an old song and a brand new song?

MMM lyrics, music, and it doesn't say: give it to me baby.

I will kill dexter if they come to mexico and don't play beheaded

Little_Miss_1565
07-08-2008, 11:42 PM
There are certain album tracks that they don't play live because they suck the energy out of the room, like "Amazed."

The first time they revived "Dirty Magic" in recent tours, they picked that one because it's the one request they always got from their hardcore fans. If there's something old you want to hear live, get a zillion people to ask them to play it for 10 years, I guess.

This band has played a gazillion shows. I think they know best what kills the mood at their shows and what gets it going. There are several old songs I'd love to hear other than "Dirty Magic" (what up, "Forever and a Day"?), but I won't beat them up over it because it would be selfish to force my will on an audience of thousands who showed up to have a good time.

skoko
07-09-2008, 01:35 AM
i also think that it wouldnīt hurt anyone when they play two old songs in there show. most times, they play like 20 songs on a show. why donīt play 2 more with songst from s/t and ignition? or play just one more and elimate one song from americana?!

and they could change the two older songs from concert to concert, i think the band would have much fun to play them. and a lot of fans (not all) would like it too.
and like somebody sayd before, perhaps the people who donīt know the songs will buy (or download :mad:) the older albums.

Rutegard
07-09-2008, 06:34 AM
nothing dude

Oxygene
07-09-2008, 07:22 AM
they toured with those songs and only those songs for the first 10 years.. what do you think?

Redjie
07-09-2008, 07:26 AM
It's true we would all like to listen to some of those songs but like everyone said, they have to make a set list that suits everybody. And those not-that-well-known songs would kill a concert. Except beheaded :p I guess that song still makes people jump even if people don't know it that well.

ad8
07-09-2008, 07:30 AM
it would be nice to eliminate certain songs like why dont you get a job, shes got issues, walla walla, original prankster, hit that, pretty fly (not happening) from the set list and throw in some older stuff from ignition and self-titled...2 to 4 of the old songs isnt going to kill a show, but itll make a lot of the hardcore fans happy...

...or instead of taking away from the set, they can add 3 songs...

Quoted for truth.
And I don't think that the band wouldn't like to play the older stuff. I think they'd love to play for example Kick Him When He's Down.

Rutegard
07-09-2008, 07:33 AM
It's true we would all like to listen to some of those songs but like everyone said, they have to make a set list that suits everybody. And those not-that-well-known songs would kill a concert. Except beheaded :p I guess that song still makes people jump even if people don't know it that well.

or crossroads and burn it up...those must be fucking great live

Redjie
07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Yeah you're right. Burn it up definitly owns it :cool:

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
they toured with those songs and only those songs for the first 10 years.. what do you think?

Hahaha, quoted for truth!

Bipolar Bear
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
They should at least play one old song per concert!
Maybe some of the listeners would think...wow this song owns and would pick up some of the older albums. How can they not? That's what happened to me in certain concerts.

RageAndLov
07-09-2008, 05:14 PM
They should some time in their career tour the "Pre-Smash Tour For Hardcore Fans"! Like go around the world, and play only songs before Smash, or maybe "The Non-Single Tour".

that would been awsome!!!

Pranksta
07-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I can see why they wouldn't want to play old songs during the Americana and CO1 era, when they were really popular and most of the people at the shows did in fact only know the hit singles.
But now that their popularity declined quite significantly over the last 2 albums, I would imagine that a much greater ratio of people at their concerts are big fans and know the older stuff, so I think they could've started playing more stuff from the first 2 albums. Hopeflly the Paris show is an indication of where things are going.

Plus, just because people don't know the song, doesn't mean it's a crowd killer. It just has to be good, which is pretty much a given with offspring.For example I remember when I was at edgefest 4 years ago, and heard Billy Talent's Standing In The Rain for the first time, it was the song I enjoyed most in their set.

Hombre
07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
First 2 albums is awesome!!!.I think,that it's not right when they made setlist for some people,whose hear hit that or pretty fly on the radio and decide to go to the concert!It's unfair!

Oxygene
07-10-2008, 01:15 AM
Guys,
Chill the fuck out... in my opinion the fact that they are playing songs like what happened to you more than makes them consider the feelings, wants and needs of old skool and hard core fans.

Anyway if you're a really hardcore fan and if you wanna catch the older songs go to a club show, they'll always play songs like beheaded, tehran, kick him when he's down, session etc...

So with all due respect: stop whining =)

Little Miss: I saw the look in Dexter's eyes when I asked him about it, he was very sincere, and having endless amounts of respect for him, I don't even expect them to play those songs anymore. I'd rather they play songs they enjoy playing.. I love almost all of their songs, equally and very much, so in all fairness if them playing newer ones makes them more happy, so be it. They enjoy playing these songs in clubs to reminisce I guess, and that's where those songs belong. They've played quite a few club shows in the past 10-15 years in cali, finland, paris, germany, london, new york... I think 99% of the board has been or can go to one of those places.
PERIOD.

Alex101
07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
They should at least play one old song per concert!

I would agree. They should play like 3 or 5 songs off the first album and Ignition.

Ninty Man
07-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I would agree. They should play like 3 or 5 songs off the first album and Ignition.

yeah... and God exists.

Maybe 2... and posibly three would be doing fine. I mean: Beheaded, Session and Dirty magic XD

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Two Things:

My computer has more than 160 songs by the Offspring on it... Its really going to be hard to pick songs and keep the show from going on too long.

Also, has anyone here ever tried to play and hour and a half set? Thats tough. Time adds up quickly when you add a song here or there cover more of their timeline. There's only so long that you can play a guitar and still be worth a damn the next day.

Sometimes they'll revive old stuff when the fancy hits them. Then its a pleasant surprise and all of us junkies who have been listening to them since the dawn of their time will get a chane to grin at the confused people who are only there because they like Pretty Fly.

I personally am just hoping that they'll do a big US tour when they get done in Japan. Maybe since they toured in new locations when they did the Warped Tour, they'll a much more comprehensive tour this time around and I won't have to drive out of state to see them live.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 01:51 PM
They enjoy playing these songs in clubs to reminisce I guess, and that's where those songs belong. They've played quite a few club shows in the past 10-15 years in cali, finland, paris, germany, london, new york... I think 99% of the board has been or can go to one of those places.
PERIOD.

Well said, Oxy. I've only been living in civilization for the last couple years and I missed the CBGB show because I was working for free and barely able to afford ramen that summer. But I'm totally looking forward to the next go round, hoping there is one.

I have an in at a super awesome venue in Brooklyn if they want to hook that up. ;)