PDA

View Full Version : Some things that I feel need to be said.

Jakebert
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
First off, I want to preface by saying that the mods have done an excellent job, and if you feel that this thread is un-needed, feel free to delete it, but again, I feel that it is needed.

Anway, obviously the board right now has been somewhat overtaken by new people and spammers who don't know how to act, or don't want to. And while the mods have done an excellent job, I do feel that there is still a bit of a problem when it comes to some of the stuff being posted lately.

New guys, I understand the desire to post whatever you want, whenever you want, regardless of official forum rules or the unwritten rules that generally are adopted by most to keep problems to a minimum. I've posted on message boards since I was 12, and I used to post a lot of "random" crap too.

But also, you need to realize how obnoxious some of that gets to people who have posted here for a long time and have seen this board at it's peak times. The amount of "established" users posting in a given day has dropped dramatically, and it seems to me that it's related to a lot of the spam that's been posted here lately.

Just look at it this way: would you like it if we went into General Offspring Discussion and spammed with anti-Offspring jokes? Well, we feel the same way about you guys coming in here and posting stuff like "I HATE SO-AND-SO" or whatever else. It gets old, and it's really reduced the quality of the board the past month or so.

So please, just try to watch what you're saying/posting or whatever. I'm not trying to be rude, and I do honestly think some of you guys are really nice people who are just getting caught up in the posting of the moment.

Also, "established" users: stop baiting them. I know I've baited in the past and it seems hypocritical to tell others to stop, but still, someone needs to say it. It makes things so much worse when "established" users sink down to the spammers' level and post stuff that's just as useless/aggressive.

Thank you, and have a pleasent tomorrow.
XOXO,
Jakebert<3

Conspiracyof1000
07-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I am really, sincerely sorry for making an ass of myself over the last few weeks.
Really, I am. I was focused on my post count and started posting crap to build it up. A lot of my posts were unsatisfactory, and I apologize.
I'm just gonna go back to GOD now, if you don't mind.

Rag Doll
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to tell other people not to post in GC. Just, y'know, put more thought into your posts. Don't post just to post, don't randomly insult people, and try to have some sort of intelligent response/opinion. =)

Harnum
07-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks Jakebert. You know, you said everything that I was thinking and more all in that one post! =]

I'm just gonna go back to GOD now, if you don't mind.
You don't have to go to GOD. I mean, if you post in a sensible manner and talk on topic, you will fit in just fine. Just enjoy posting about topics and don't worry about post count. It proves nothing.

P.S - That also wasn't directed totally at you, it was indirect and for all the new posters.

The Search Button
07-09-2008, 06:10 AM
I don't think anyone is trying to tell other people not to post in GC. Just, y'know, put more thought into your posts. Don't post just to post, don't randomly insult people, and try to have some sort of intelligent response/opinion. =)

That's mathematically impossible.

OMG! This post of mine is senseless and useless.

What happened to stupid people freedom of speech?

Nicole
07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I too have noticed a bit of an influx of... stupid? Just a bit of common sense when using the internet is all that is needed. Which leads me to one of my favourite quotes: "Common sense is not that common".

Tom
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
I strongly agree. I'm mainly a reader, just look at my post count. But yeah... maybe reading this will change some peoples' ways, but as these forums grow there's just going to be more and more of it. Just have to balance it out with more intelligent topics I guess!

Bipolar Bear
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm mostly a writer personally.
I have to say, sorry for the large amount of spam I've made and generated in the past.
Yeah, it was pretty fun for me at the time, but not fun for others.

ad8
07-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I like the idea of that postcount++++ thread, where I can post whenever I want and do no harm with it, even if my posts don't make sense and stuff. I think that a thread like that is good because the established forum members know that they can ignore it and the so-called "spammers" can write their stuff in there. I don't like pointless threads like "ur top 100 offspring songs" and I think that threads like that are flooding the forums lately, but as the search button already said, you can't take the freedom of speach of a user as long as he doesn't violate the forum rules.

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
That's mathematically impossible.

OMG! This post of mine is senseless and useless.

What happened to stupid people freedom of speech?

Stupid people can and always have been able to say whatever they want here.

Doesn't mean we are going to actively encourage stupid behavior, though.

H1T_That
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
The amount of "established" users posting in a given day has dropped dramatically, and it seems to me that it's related to a lot of the spam that's been posted here lately.

Quoted for truth.

The Search Button
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Stupid people can and always have been able to say whatever they want here.

Doesn't mean we are going to actively encourage stupid behavior, though.

And having into consideration we can only judge people behavior in these foruns by what they say, I believe your first sentence is not intirely true.

Can I insult other users even if I really want it?

On the other hand, why do you people take what I say so seriously. Nobody does, really.

H1T_That
07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
And having into consideration we can only judge people behavior in these foruns by what they say, I believe your first sentence is not intirely true.

.....what?

That doesn't even make sense...

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
.....what?

That doesn't even make sense...

No, it does make sense, and to some extent I do agree with what he said. However, if a user feels that the one and only facet of their personality (or the dominant facet of their personality) here is, well, let's say less than productive, I don't think any of the other users can be faulted for thinking less of that user. Knowing that your posts are the only part of your personality that we see here, if you choose to be a douche in those posts, you can't expect that people won't think you're a douche. Nah mean?

wheelchairman
07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I suppose my thoughts on this are two-fold.

Really this is just natural with the release of the new album (and you can then hope that it's a sign that the new album is doing well). I remember myself and older posters who also joined around the time when Americana came out the atmosphere towards new users was far more hostile. (This was largely due to the fact that if anyone liked Americana then they were trendies and posers, two words that came into my vocabulary for the first time when I joined.)

The atmosphere has been intentionally geared towards a warmer welcome (although the division between true offspring fans and pretenders is less clear, which is good). Myself and those who joined at the time (a large section of the moderators actually) also posted a lot of stupid stuff. That was over 6 years ago so we were much younger, we were equally stupid. They'll grow out of it. We also realized that humor based in random things was not actually as funny as we thought it was at the time.

However people being dicks online will always be around, because no one will punch you in the face for crossing the line. That in itself is alright because a user who uses this way method of ...communicating... almost exclusively either gets bored or banned rather quickly.

The new people will grow out of it. Now the old guard perhaps responds less to the topics. That's also natural. I can speak for myself when I say that often these days when I see a topic I feel little need to add my input to a discussion between people I've never heard of, there is also very little insensitive to engage in long term discussions with said users.

However the new users will eventually become familiar with us and over time their online personalities will eventually allow us to differentiate some of them from the rest.

Not that I think your post was a mistake Jakebert. Improvement through critique is pretty much a pillar of internet etiquette that we all had to learn from at some point or another.

God 6 years, that would make us the first generation to take advantage of this kind of medium on the internet. It was weird when we did it, now everyone posts somewhere. Youth will grow up on message boards just as we did so to speak.

Mota Boy
07-09-2008, 09:00 PM
God 6 years, that would make us the first generation to take advantage of this kind of medium on the internet. It was weird when we did it, now everyone posts somewhere. Youth will grow up on message boards just as we did so to speak.Dude, Americana came out a decade ago. We're old. People our age didn't exist on message boards back when we first joined.

wheelchairman
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Well I didn't join exactly when Americana debuted. I joined a year later, meaning your the senile one.

EDIT, not even. I joined in 2001 I think. Like 2 weeks after the red/white boards were started up. heh.

0r4ng3
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I've been here for 3 years, and I thought that was a long time.

Holy crap, I've been here for 3 years.

WebDudette
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Holy crap, I've been here 3 years.

We've changed since then 0r4ng3, we've changed.

Thomas
07-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Sheesh. I've been here over three years, too. Not so much significant with me, though.

Betty
07-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Dude, Americana came out a decade ago. We're old. People our age didn't exist on message boards back when we first joined.

EXACTLY.

We're dealing with a whole new dilemma of old Offspring fans vs. new young Offspring fans. We can't just say "Oh, it was the same when we joined ten years ago" (my god!).

And it's tricky cause the old posters feel like this is our BBS cause we've been posting here for so long and we know the ropes. But obviously it's the band's BBS. What to do? I guess my personal opinion would be to treat the young fans with respect, but that it's okay to give them a hard time when it comes to "initiating" them to the message board, as long as they deserve it. Or, just ignore. We'll do our thing, they'll do theirs, and eventually some of us will integrate.

IamSam
07-10-2008, 12:51 AM
And see, I'm old but new to the forums. It is just a matter of age I believe. Not to be discriminatory towards age, but I really do think that is where the problem originates. Age is a problem as is the decline of society. I do think that people are losing the ability to actually communicate with each other in a manner that is respectable for creatures with a high brain function.

Either that, or else some of these new younguns are actually 6 years old.

Betty
07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
AND, age is not a complete excuse. We've had fantastic 12-15 year old "newbie" posters on here. And I was much more naive and less knowledgeable at 15 than I am now, but I certainly knew enough to read through the forum to get an idea of what was acceptable and to post reasonable contributions.

But hell, I read my 18 year old sister's Facebook and I want to shoot myself. I was NEVER like that.

Edit: And it's experiences like that that make you realize that some people are completely different online. Or at least, that's how many in the younger generation learned to communicate and you can't completely hold it against them (only a little bit). My little sister is a total sweetheart, and such a fun person. And if I only knew her online, I would never have thought twice about wanting to socialize with her.

IamSam
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Very true. It may be more of a societal problem than any.

EDIT: I know for a fact that I didn't act like many of the new 'younger' posters on here when I started posting on BBSs.

Harnum
07-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I've been here for 2 years. I think I'm a prime example of the change people go through. You can look at the stuff I used to post on my first account and the way I used to type and spell. It was atrocious! But, eventually I made a turn around and began to post productively. It all happens in time.

The Search Button
07-10-2008, 06:11 AM
No, it does make sense, and to some extent I do agree with what he said. However, if a user feels that the one and only facet of their personality (or the dominant facet of their personality) here is, well, let's say less than productive, I don't think any of the other users can be faulted for thinking less of that user. Knowing that your posts are the only part of your personality that we see here, if you choose to be a douche in those posts, you can't expect that people won't think you're a douche. Nah mean?

Exactly. But those are only opinions. If I choose to be a douche, I can be a douche as long as I respect the rules.

Now you are free, as well, to judge other posters and vent your personal judgements. That doesn't mean anything will change though.

One can only hope that threads like this produce some kind of change. I seriously doubt it though.

HornyPope
07-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Well I didn't join exactly when Americana debuted. I joined a year later, meaning your the senile one.

EDIT, not even. I joined in 2001 I think. Like 2 weeks after the red/white boards were started up. heh.

You joined in July or August of 2000, which is when the Americana board went up online (in July actually).

But hell, I read my 18 year old sister's Facebook and I want to shoot myself. I was NEVER like that.

Edit: And it's experiences like that that make you realize that some people are completely different online. Or at least, that's how many in the younger generation learned to communicate and you can't completely hold it against them (only a little bit). My little sister is a total sweetheart, and such a fun person. And if I only knew her online, I would never have thought twice about wanting to socialize with her.

I think it's because she's prettier than you. There is no pressure on her to be smart nor interesting--she's going to get the attention anyways. What can I say, us good looking people have it good in life.

Rag Doll
07-10-2008, 07:32 AM
You joined in July or August of 2000, which is when the Americana board went up online (in July actually).

Beat me to it. It started July 1, 2000. Per, you've been here even longer than you thought!

JohnnyNemesis
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
If I choose to be a douche, I can be a douche as long as I respect the rules.

This is fair, of course. It's what most people, including some mods, do anyway.

us good looking people

I lol'd.

Holy crap, I've been here for 3 years.

Lol, I still remember the Poll of the Day and the orange font... *pinches your cheeks*

H1T_That
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
No, it does make sense

Knowing that your posts are the only part of your personality that we see here, if you choose to be a douche in those posts, you can't expect that people won't think you're a douche. Nah mean?

The second part there is why i think what he said doesn't really make sense. This does seem to be emerging as a bit of a grey area though...

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 01:53 PM
The second part there is why i think what he said doesn't really make sense. This does seem to be emerging as a bit of a grey area though...

I think we've established a consensus that if someone wants to behave like a douche but within the rules, it is their right to do so.

However, it is also the right of everyone else on the forum to dislike them for being a douche.

Ryder1234
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I like the idea of that postcount++++ thread, where I can post whenever I want and do no harm with it, even if my posts don't make sense and stuff.

Exactly, it was a great idea for a thread. But i still think that it shouldn't be used purely for postcount. If all the person is trying to do is reach 500 posts or something, then their posts should be deleted, because their post would all be pointless and non-constructive, even if thats the point of that thread. They should still have to post some constructive stuff.

I don't like pointless threads like "ur top 100 offspring songs" and I think that threads like that are flooding the forums lately

and also not to mention that that thread and similar other threads have been made countless times.

Betty
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I think it's because she's prettier than you. There is no pressure on her to be smart nor interesting--she's going to get the attention anyways. What can I say, us good looking people have it good in life.

Some will argue it's a curse... Also, I am blossoming into a beautiful swan.

Ryder, you're contradicting yourself there.

Andy
07-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Sorry this has nothing to do with the thread, but it's got me thinking about when I first joined. I joined this version in 2004, but can't remember when I joined previously. I don't think I was there for very long, but I may well have been.

Actually, ignore this. This is a complete non-post and nothing more than the ramblings of a tired Andy.

Ryder1234
07-10-2008, 03:03 PM
maybe a little.

wheelchairman
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Beat me to it. It started July 1, 2000. Per, you've been here even longer than you thought!

I remember quite clearly that I think you joined July 4th and I joined on the 14th or the 24th. I remember clearly thinking I had a lot less bbs-cred than you. :p

Rag Doll
07-10-2008, 03:43 PM
July 3rd for me =).

And damn right, you n00b ;p

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
It was in '05 before i had access to a computer that could load any version of the boards, how ever many times I tried in the 3 years preceding that.

I guess I joined a little over three years ago but I've been gone for long time due to some serious shit hitting the fan. I just have a hard time believing some of the BS I've posted on here.

But on topic, the very same thing happened when they released the Greatest Hits album and their last dvd. Most of the spammers got bored with it and left. The ones that stuck around realized they'd enjoy these boards more if they started talking like rational human beings and so they did. You've just got to ride it out like a bit of bad weather on a road trip.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-11-2008, 01:12 AM
February 2002 for me. Or at least i think it was - I came to a November 2002 meetup so it was around that time.

JoY
07-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I approve of this thread.

going to bed now. I don't know if what I just typed was English or not, so I really should. I'll contribute some other time, though my approvement is some sort of contribution.

0r4ng3
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure if this is the thread to post this in, but I'll go anyway.

I've noticed that, with new Say Whatever and Person Above You threads, General Chat has become exactly where it was three years ago. Although I seem to remember referring to an Unholy Trinity of threads back then, and I can't seem to remember what the third thread was. But that's probably for the better. I'll know it when someone else decides to remake it.

I'm not sure I had a point in this post, but I just wanted to say some things I noticed.

Edit: I remember the thread now, but I'd rather not say which, for the mention of it's name might trigger someone making one of similar topic. Or lack thereof.

Homer
07-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Gah, I'm trying to remember that 'third thread' but I can't... and now it's bugging me.

WebDudette
07-11-2008, 09:17 PM
This BBS has helped and changed me in ways it will likely never know.

I wish I could/would talk to a lot of the members in a slightly more personal way.

JoY
07-12-2008, 06:04 AM
hey, just to remind you; you've helped people on here too, remember? ;p

Andy
07-12-2008, 06:20 AM
I've noticed that, with new Say Whatever and Person Above You threads, General Chat has become exactly where it was three years ago. Although I seem to remember referring to an Unholy Trinity of threads back then, and I can't seem to remember what the third thread was. But that's probably for the better. I'll know it when someone else decides to remake it.

I've got an idea of what it could be. It might not have been part of that Unholy Trinity, but bloody annoying nonetheless.

HornyPope
07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
This BBS has helped and changed me in ways it will likely never know.

I wish I could/would talk to a lot of the members in a slightly more personal way.

Thank you, thank you. As one of the more significant members here, I'd like accept your kind words on the behalf of the BBS as a whole. Unless you're implying a sex change, because I will not associate myself with this.

I also give out recommendations, reference letters and sign autographs. When I'm in a particularly good mood, I give out cookies to the children and flowers to the ladies.

Duskygrin
07-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Horny de Sade.

I've been here on and off since I was 13. I remember it vividly, I was in Athens (Greece) at the time.

All this to say, mine English has improved a lot, yes sirrah (which is fortunate, hmph). But snakes alive, seven years have elapsed since I joined (first joined as Dusky). No, eight years, even. Blimey. I'm feeling like a fixture...