PDA

View Full Version : Nirvana Is Not Over Rated!!

Enjoi
07-09-2008, 06:31 AM
THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER! THEY STARTED GRUNGE MUSIC. KURT COBAIN WAS A GREAT MUSICIAN!!! HOW ARE THEY OVER RATED!?!?:confused::mad::confused::mad:

ad8
07-09-2008, 06:36 AM
And another one...

Enjoi
07-09-2008, 06:38 AM
another wat?

0r4ng3
07-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I won't deny what they've done for music, i.e. trends they've started. But the music itself is overrated. At least that's what I think.

dff_punk
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
OMG, 0r4ng3's edit button rocks! :)

And to stay on topic, Nirvana is not that overrated, what pisses me off are the die-hard Kurt Cobain fans who disaprecciate anything that hasn't been written by him.

That_Guy91
07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
No, Nirvana is pretty overrated. They didn't start grunge music, they just popularized it. They're good, they're just not that good.

JohnnyNemesis
07-09-2008, 07:59 AM
People who constantly call Nirvana overrated have surpassed people who worship Nirvana in terms of unbearable pretentious douchebaggery.

0r4ng3
07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
OMG, 0r4ng3's edit button rocks! :)
It rocks...and rolls.

People who constantly call Nirvana overrated have surpassed people who worship Nirvana in terms of unbearable pretentious douchebaggery.http://www.mitchclem.com/mystupidlife/graphics/strips/20080616.gif

Replace "The Beatles" with "Nirvana", obviously.

That_Guy91
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
People who constantly call Nirvana overrated have surpassed people who worship Nirvana in terms of unbearable pretentious douchebaggery.

:'(

You're right, though. I don't do it constantly.

WebDudette
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
A friend of mine was outraged when I told him I didn't like Sublime.

He flat out called me a liar when I said I didn't like Nirvana.

Endymion
07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
you need new friends.

Thomas
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I enjoy Nirvana's music a lot, but they weren't talented musicians and honestly, I never undrestood why they are always been lauded as the band that started grunge. In my entire life, I have only heard of 5, count 'em, 5 grunge bands, and none of them sound anything like Nirvana, except, of course, Nirvana.

And Dave Grohl can't drum.

Ninty Man
07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
I enjoy Nirvana's music a lot, but they weren't talented musicians and honestly, I never undrestood why they are always been lauded as the band that started grunge. In my entire life, I have only heard of 5, count 'em, 5 grunge bands, and none of them sound anything like Nirvana, except, of course, Nirvana.

MMM I don't enjoy Nirvana's music, and I personally think that Cobain was a LAME, yes LAME lyricist and guitarist. Fuck, the ramones were more solid that Nirvana.

I agree with Thomas on the Dave Grohl thing. Men, he was just savage, but for example, Marky Ramone is a better drummer, or well... Adam Carson from AFI.

jacknife737
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM

This sums up my feelings on the matter. Nirvana wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they were a pretty solid rock band, that some could arguably say that they were just at the right place at the right time. But, it's still silly to claim that they didn't have a huge influence on music, regardless whether or not you enjoy their music.

wheelchairman
07-10-2008, 02:27 PM
I remember watching MTV when I was younger. You watch MTV long enough and you get the impression that Nirvana and Madonna were the geniuses of our generation (they especially venerate Madonna).

They are very good at creating cults of personality.

So in a sense Nirvana is definitely overrated, but I still enjoy them.

Ninty Man
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
This sums up my feelings on the matter. Nirvana wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they were a pretty solid rock band, that some could arguably say that they were just at the right place at the right time. But, it's still silly to claim that they didn't have a huge influence on music, regardless whether or not you enjoy their music.

MMM... NO.

Is pretty much like the discussion around Sex Pistols

0r4ng3
07-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, but most people don't give a shit about the Sex Pistols anymore, one way or the other.

Ninty Man
07-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but most people don't give a shit about the Sex Pistols anymore, one way or the other.

Thanx to Kukulcán for that.

Nirvana was in the perfect place. The glam was lame, and they were... I don't know, different.
Unfortunately that son of a bitch of Kurt Cobain killed himself, or was murdered, I don't give a fuck, and he became a legend

dff_punk
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Sex Pistols played in my country some days ago, I was not there, but everybody said they sucked, like there was some SP revival band, but not them.

SuperKnux
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Ha, Mitch Clem is fucking cool. I like his work.

0r4ng3
07-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Mitch Clem is overrated!

JohnnyNemesis
07-11-2008, 12:07 AM
I also have a theory that about 95% of the "OMG NIRVANA iz SO OEVRRATED !!!" crowd either never listened to them or gets their history really confused or generally doesn't know what they're talking about.

Case in point:

Kurt Cobain killed himself, or was murdered, I don't give a fuck, and he became a legend

I was alive and into grunge/rock music during Nirvana's prime. He was already considered a legend even before his death. It's really easy to use the "martyr" argument, but it's not true.

bighead384
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Based on what? I have to disagree. He writes good parts and plays them perfectly.

SaiKYoU
07-11-2008, 05:18 AM
so what¿!

let's start useful threads like... for example...

is Cobain gonna revive?!

Ninty Man
07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
I also have a theory that about 95% of the "OMG NIRVANA iz SO OEVRRATED !!!" crowd either never listened to them or gets their history really confused or generally doesn't know what they're talking about.

Case in point:

I was alive and into grunge/rock music during Nirvana's prime. He was already considered a legend even before his death. It's really easy to use the "martyr" argument, but it's not true.

He was in the right moment for the shitty X generation. If he didn't killed himself everybody will see how lame he was

wheelchairman
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
He became a legend due to the fact that he expressed himself in a historical context that was appealing to the majority at the time....

Wow Ninety man is deep...

Alex101
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER! THEY STARTED GRUNGE MUSIC. KURT COBAIN WAS A GREAT MUSICIAN!!! HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY OVER RATED!?!?:confused::mad::confused::mad:

I agree. How they are overrated is that there are over a thousand people liking Nirvana.

0r4ng3
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
A band needs a thousand fans to be overrated? Shit, I think even I'm overrated, by that standard. I'm so not punx. :(

Thomas
07-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Based on what? I have to disagree. He writes good parts and plays them perfectly.

I have been a very serious drummer for 8 years now. I've studied everything from rock, to jazz, to African, to corps, to funk, to orchestral, to latin. I will also likely be majoring in percussion studies at the University of Arizona, one of the top percussion departments in the country. I know what I'm talking about when I say that he is not a very good drummer. The way I see it, if I can play any of his drum beats (Probot, Tenacious D, and QOTSA included) without any trouble at all, his drumming is nothing special at all. I'm fresh out of high school, but he's been doing this since before I was born. That says something.

That_Guy91
07-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Thomas, I think we had this discussion once before. We said that he isn't really bad, just that he's nothing special.

Enjoi
07-11-2008, 10:27 AM
alex101 is right. nirvana has more then a thousand fans.

Short_Attention_Span
07-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Oh, no. Not this again...

EDIT: Having more than a thousand fans doesn't mean anything. And I agree with 0r4ng3
________
SEX MOVIES (http://www.fucktube.com/)

H1T_That
07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
I just plain and simple don't like their music.

Enjoi
07-11-2008, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=JohnnyNemesis;1152776]I also have a theory that about 95% of the "OMG NIRVANA iz SO OEVRRATED !!!" crowd either never listened to them or gets their history really confused or generally doesn't know what they're talking about.[QUOTE]I agree With JohnnyNemesis' theory.

Enjoi
07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=JohnnyNemesis;1152776]I also have a theory that about 95% of the "OMG NIRVANA iz SO OEVRRATED !!!" crowd either never listened to them or gets their history really confused or generally doesn't know what they're talking about.QUOTE]

I agree With JohnnyNemesis' theory.

bighead384
07-11-2008, 10:40 AM
I have been a very serious drummer for 8 years now. I've studied everything from rock, to jazz, to African, to corps, to funk, to orchestral, to latin. I will also likely be majoring in percussion studies at the University of Arizona, one of the top percussion departments in the country. I know what I'm talking about when I say that he is not a very good drummer. The way I see it, if I can play any of his drum beats (Probot, Tenacious D, and QOTSA included) without any trouble at all, his drumming is nothing special at all. I'm fresh out of high school, but he's been doing this since before I was born. That says something.

I understand why you might think that, but I don't think it's fair to criticize his drum parts for not being complicated enough to the point where you can't play them. You have to play what's best for the song. Are there really a lot of times where you listen to Grohl's drumming, and feel as though a more complicated beat would sound better? I never think that. Do you really mean that he can't drum, or do you just think he's nothing special?

Thomas
07-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Thomas, I think we had this discussion once before. We said that he isn't really bad, just that he's nothing special.

I think my opinion has changed quite a bit, though, after listening to people like Jojo mayer, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Art Blakey, etc. It probably also didn't help that i got to see Rush in concert and holy crap, that man knows his way around a kit!

Thomas
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I understand why you might think that, but I don't think it's fair to criticize his drum parts for not being complicated enough to the point where you can't play them. You have to play what's best for the song. Are there really a lot of times where you listen to Grohl's drumming, and feel as though a more complicated beat would sound better? I never think that. Do you really mean that he can't drum, or do you just think he's nothing special?

I actually think that all the time, and I'm a very minimalist drummer myself. Off the top of my head, Lithium by Nirvana NEEDS a more aggressive drum beat, and No One Knows by QOTSA (or, as I call it, "Dave Grohl's tribute to quarter notes") is just missing something. There are plenty more, but i just woke up and I won't be able to think straight for another 2 or 3 hours.

bighead384
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I actually think that all the time, and I'm a very minimalist drummer myself. Off the top of my head, Lithium by Nirvana NEEDS a more aggressive drum beat, and No One Knows by QOTSA (or, as I call it, "Dave Grohl's tribute to quarter notes") is just missing something. There are plenty more, but i just woke up and I won't be able to think straight for another 2 or 3 hours.

I've never thought that about Lithium or No One Knows. I especially don't see your problem with No One Knows. Normally, when a band works with that kind of rhythmic feel (I forget what it's called, the triplet feel or something?) at a loud dynamic, a drum beat like the one Grohl plays sounds awesome. Same deal with "Nothingtown". What else could you do with the Hi-Hat or Bass drum for the main beat? Maybe you could add a few fills, but I think the beat is perfect.

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Actually, Nothingtown is the one instance where I wasn't pleased with the way Freese drummed for The Offspring. Shuffle patterns, or 12/8 patterns (both are basically the same thing) call for a jazzier or bluesier sort of drum pattern. i was actually playing along to Nothingtown yesterday and I played what felt right, and I noticed afterward that my bass drum was a lot more active than Freese's and I just felt a really nice groove going. Synchopated bass drum parts in No One Knows and Nothingtown would have made the song groove SO much more without making it too busy. Maybe I've been listening to too much Bonham, Starr, and Earth Wind and Fire, but shuffle patterns are my favorite to play with (which may be part of the reason why I didn't fit so well into my old band until we started writing funky stuff).

Also, a lot of jazz studies can be EASILY applied to this sort of rock song. I wouldn't change the hat or ride pattern, but throwing in a synchopated snare or bass hit, whether as accents or ghost notes, gives the song that extra little "spice" to make it groove a whole lot better, thus adding energy to not only the drum parts, but to the entire ensemble in the finished product.

bighead384
07-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Well you seem to know a lot, but I'm a very creative drummer that can't see how you could add more bass drum or snare drum to those songs to make them sound better, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:09 AM
What sort of music do you listen to? Like, what drummers are your biggest influences?

Enjoi
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
wats up with this? first we're talknig bout nirvana them drumming?:confused:

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
wats up with this? first we're talknig bout nirvana them drumming?:confused:

Eh, I like this conversation better anyway. you're always gonna go in circles whenever you talk about nirvana.

bighead384
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I mostly just listen to alternative rock and punk, but I listen to other stuff sometimes. I don't really know who my favorites are to be honest. Danny Carey is really good, so is Mike Portnoy. I also listen to some elite drummers like Dennis Chambers or Bobby Jarzembeck(sp?). I was in Marching Band and Concert Band for a few years in high school, so I learned a little bit about drumline(I was in pit percussion though) and big band drumming. I'm pretty well-rounded I guess.

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:26 AM
If you want my suggestion, listen to the old funk bands and the old blues bands. The Meters are (were) awesome and that drummer is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest funk drummers who ever lived. Check out their song called the Cissy Strut. The drumming is mind boggling, but still right in the pocket.

And big band drumming is the best. Buddy Rich, Max Roach...*drools* If yo want to improve on EVERYTHING you do (not just jazz), pick up the book "Jazz Time Part One: The Basics" by Frank Briggs. That thing builds your 4-way independance like no other. What I really liked about it was that it didn't move so fast that you get frustrated, but it didn't move so slow that you are bored. It even comes with a great play-along cd to jam with.

But yeah, most of my drumming, hard rock and punk included, stems back to blues and funk. Lotsa good stuff out there if you just look for it in the right places. ;)

bighead384
07-11-2008, 11:35 AM
If you want my suggestion, listen to the old funk bands and the old blues bands. The Meters are (were) awesome and that drummer is one of the greatest, if not THE greatest funk drummers who ever lived. Check out their song called the Cissy Strut. The drumming is mind boggling, but still right in the pocket.

And big band drumming is the best. Buddy Rich, Max Roach...*drools* If yo want to improve on EVERYTHING you do (not just jazz), pick up the book "Jazz Time Part One: The Basics" by Frank Briggs. That thing builds your 4-way independance like no other. What I really liked about it was that it didn't move so fast that you get frustrated, but it didn't move so slow that you are bored. It even comes with a great play-along cd to jam with.

But yeah, most of my drumming, hard rock and punk included, stems back to blues and funk. Lotsa good stuff out there if you just look for it in the right places. ;)

Sounds good. I really want to get into Jazz drumming...I've always been amazed by the "touch" jazz drummers have, the intricate parts, the dynamics, and the 4-way independence. I have to save up for an electric set though, because I haven't been able to play my kit since I moved into an apartment.

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Ah, that bites. I don't know what I'm gonna do once I move into a dorm. I'm gonna see if my dad can score a good electric set from one of our family friends (he has ridiculous amounts of money and bought the kit for his wife, who, to this day, has used it only about 3 or 4 times). I usually despise everything yamaha makes in the percussion department, but I wouldn't get anything else for an electric kit, except for maybe a high-end roland.

But yeah, that's the book that got me started with jazz, and it's gonna be the book that makes me really proficient, too (I've only been playing jazz for about a year and a half).

Also.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6CTK5aAf8d4&feature=related

This man wuld have given even the great Buddy Rich a run for his money.

oh_strange_one
07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
jazz, funk, blues? lol and there i was thinking this was a thread about nirvana being over rated silly me lmao:p

Thomas
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh, hush. This discussion is more interesting anyway.

0r4ng3
07-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Drumming is overrated!

oh_strange_one
07-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Oh, hush. This discussion is more interesting anyway.

hey easy tiger im only kidding put them darn claws away :p

Enjoi
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
drumming is over rated. guitarists are better

Ninty Man
07-11-2008, 06:08 PM
drumming is over rated. guitarists are better

Try to play at 205 BPM on a drum... you will know that pain is.

Drum is not overrated, in fact is underrated. I know, guitar players masturbates their strings, and yes, is cool and I love it... but drums... fuck, they're hard, specially when you compose your own songs or recompose songs

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
The way I see it, drums are the easiest instrument to pick up, but by far one of the hardest to master. There's so much ridiculous shit that goes into it, it would boggle your mind and make you go :eek: just to hear it. Honestly, if you think all we do is crash and bang and boom, you need to look at the REAL technical masters of the art. Jojo Mayer, for example, has his technique so perfect, that he can play louder than just about any drummer out there, but hasn't broken a stick or a head in decades.

I will tell you, though, that drummers, as people, are overrated. Seriously. I hate drummers. Scum of the earth.

EDIT: just for the record, speed is one of the easiest things to achieve in drumming. The only reason some drummer can't play fast is that the speed intimidates them and they stop themselves in their mind from letting their hands and the sticks do the work for them. Even without rebound of any sort (just fingers o my desk) I can achieve 32nd notes at about 110 bpm before I start to strain. I can go even faster with sticks and an ideal rebounding surface.

Conspiracyof1000
07-11-2008, 11:35 PM
I love drummers and bassists, mostly because I was forced against my will to play bass clarinet in 6th grade and it was hard keeping the beat for the rest of the band. So I respect drummers and bassists a little more than I did.

WebDudette
07-11-2008, 11:47 PM
There is a kid at my school who plays xylophone with three sticks in each hand.

He is my hero.

Thomas
07-11-2008, 11:52 PM
People like that are nuts. I joke around with my other friend by saying stuff like "if I ever catch myself with three mallets in each hands, I'm throwing those down and sitting at a goddamn piano."

btw, marimba is probably my favorite pitched instrument ever, especially one of the REALLY big ones where the lowest keys are like 5 inches thick and like a foot and a half long...oh baby, those low notes are soooooo tasty!

mrconeman
07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I sometimes listen to Nirvana.

I don't belong to either "OMG Kurt was genius, best band ever" or "OMG Kurt sucks/is dead nobody cares" schools of thought. They are over-rated and under-rated at the same time, like everybody else.

They weren't the best band ever, they weren't the greatest anything ever at their instruments and they didn't touch on genius, but they aren't the worst band ever either, they don't deserve half their praises, and they don't deserve half the shit thrown at them. They're a reasonably solid band that for a time were able to capture the excitement of basically the entire world, and like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, Guns 'n' Roses, Jimi Hendrix and a shit load of others, will never live it down.

It'd be nice if people could appreciate things for what they are, but for a band in this position there is always going to be supermassivehardcorefans - who I have much less of a problem with - and people screaming in faggoted frustration about how they don't deserve the attention they get.

But yeah, I sometimes listen to Nirvana, it's as simple as that for me.

attn: I've drunk lots of beer and a bottle of wine, slept it off for 2 hours before waking up with a blinding headache, I can't be held accountable for any/all spelling mistakes or bullshit contained in this post, and now I'm off to bed again. To cry myself to sleep.

0r4ng3
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't worry, spelling mistakes and bullshit are overrated.

iPunk247
07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
lack of grammer shit is fucked up like dance fucker dance is overrated like ya gotta keep 'em separated uno dos tress cuatro cinco cinco seis lalalala yayayaya :p

Seriously though Nirvana lives on and will never ever die. [[R.I.P Kurt Cobain]]

WebDudette
07-12-2008, 12:19 AM

How do you feel about the people that put them selves above both groups and regularly/angrily point out that Nirvana are both over-rated and under-rated?

0r4ng3
07-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Okay, so basically having any opinion about Nirvana is grounds for being called a douchebag.

Also, opinions? Douchebags? Both overrated.

Thomas
07-12-2008, 12:54 AM
hello, my name is thomas, and I'm a douchebag.

Ninty Man
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
hello, my name is thomas, and I'm a douchebag.

HI THOMAS!

About speed discusion... well... I found quite a hard time try to play like Byron from Pennywise... I am lame XD?

wheelchairman
07-12-2008, 06:16 AM
Thomas is one of those people that seems to subscribe to the theory that music is only good if it's completely unplayable....

Thomas
07-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Partially. I enjoy simple stuff too (The Offspring still are my favorite band, ya know). I guess it just depends on my mood.

The only thing i don't like, though, is when people praise certain musicians for being almost deities when clearly they are not. I believe it was Rhythm magazine, for example, the referred to Dave Grohl as a drumming "God", which is completely unreasonable.

Ninty Man
07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Partially. I enjoy simple stuff too (The Offspring still are my favorite band, ya know). I guess it just depends on my mood.

The only thing i don't like, though, is when people praise certain musicians for being almost deities when clearly they are not. I believe it was Rhythm magazine, for example, the referred to Dave Grohl as a drumming "God", which is completely unreasonable.

MMM... wel... what do you think of Byron from Pennywise??? Is he the BEST punk rock drummer??? I mean, Brooks Wackerman, Josh Freese... I forgot's NOFX's name XDm they are all great, and such Marky Ramone

Thomas
07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Honestly, I haven't heard too much from him to judge. I don't recall anything spectacular in the drumming from them, but I never really listened.

And personally, I believe Josh Freese is likely the best punk drummer around, but most punk drummers are really bad anyway.

Ninty Man
07-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Honestly, I haven't heard too much from him to judge. I don't recall anything spectacular in the drumming from them, but I never really listened.

And personally, I believe Josh Freese is likely the best punk drummer around, but most punk drummers are really bad anyway.

MMM, I see. Well, after all is punK XD, but I've listened to Brooks Wackerman and he does some good shit!!!. Josh Freese now is like kinda god and a good reference to any drummer, and I personally think he is better that Mike Portnoy (yes, I know is a bad opinion, but is my opinion)

Moose
07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
ironically...with everyone saying they are overrated or suck...they are quickly becoming underrated...

...yeah.

...oh...and they are a great band.

Enjoi
07-13-2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with Moose.:o

Enjoi
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Nirvana owns.

Short_Attention_Span
07-13-2008, 11:17 PM

You know, I'm just a newbie bass player so it might not be my place to jump in here, but I would disagree with you and go with Ninty Man on this one. I'd say Brooks Wackerman too. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about drums or anything to back up my position, but his style sounds pretty... technical and concise, I guess would be the way I would term it. And lively--he's been a god-send (lol) for Bad Religion. At the very least it sounds like he's doing more than just really fast fills.

But, I don't know. Please don't hurt me.
________
Upskirt porn (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/42/upskirt/videos/1)

Thomas
07-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Oh, he's a great drummer, don't get me wrong. I don't know much of his work (never been much of a Bad Religion fan), but off the top of my head, the intro to Sorrow is awesome. The fact is, though, there is always a bigger fish and Josh Freese is like a great white in this case (which would make Jojo Mayer some super space-whale that can obliterate entire planets because that man is ridiculous).

Also, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Travis Barker as a punk drummer is likely better than Freese (although not as an over-all drummer). Barker, although his hand technique and grip is atrocious and actually extremely dangerous, has pulled off some ridiculous stuff that punk drumming has never seen before. He really did revolutionize the concept of the punk drummer, even though his bands may not be considered "true" punk.

Ninty Man
07-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Oh, he's a great drummer, don't get me wrong. I don't know much of his work (never been much of a Bad Religion fan), but off the top of my head, the intro to Sorrow is awesome. The fact is, though, there is always a bigger fish and Josh Freese is like a great white in this case (which would make Jojo Mayer some super space-whale that can obliterate entire planets because that man is ridiculous).

Also, I'll probably get a lot of flack for this, but Travis Barker as a punk drummer is likely better than Freese (although not as an over-all drummer). Barker, although his hand technique and grip is atrocious and actually extremely dangerous, has pulled off some ridiculous stuff that punk drumming has never seen before. He really did revolutionize the concept of the punk drummer, even though his bands may not be considered "true" punk.

You should listen to honest goodbye or Submission complete from bad religion new albums.

MMM Travis is not punk XD, and I know, he's pretty good, but I don't know if he can beat Freese. Let's chase them and put them in a jail together.

BTW, Thomas, what do you think about Nicko McBrain