PDA

View Full Version : Riffing on Pop

Mota Boy
07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Knowing my streak, this will probably be my only entry, but who knows if this will turn into a series. I figure already having a thread will lower the barrier to entry for new installments of Mota Boy: Riffing on Pop.

Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl

As soon as I heard this song, I got angry. I'm behind the times on the music scene, so it was a couple nights ago as I was listening to that national radio program "Open House Party". Someone with a casual Southern accent called up and said "I'm just in Lexington Kentucky, livin' it up, partyin' it up with my best friend Stacie! We wanna hear 'I Kissed a Girl' wooooo!"

Wooooo indeed. The synthed-up chorus kicked in and I smacked my forehead and muttered "Of course!" I mean, come on, this song is at least six years overdue. Casual bisexuality has been mainstream for pretty much this whole millennium. A song about it doesn't have to be all that great - just generic pop beat, generic beautiful singer not worried about a pre-existing image to compromise and *bam*, you've got something that girls of a certain age are going to adopt it as their theme and it is positively guaranteed to be played at every frat party from here until 2050. And the music video? Shit, play that right and you're in rotation on MTV throughout the summer. I'm amazed it's taken this long; I'm annoyed I didn't think of it first.

If anything, the song is offensive in its tentativeness towards the subject. The narrator vacillates between screaming out the words in the chorus, with the declaration "...and I liked it" but then immediately lets us know that it was totally an accident, that she was drunk, that this was a one-time thing and that she has a boyfriend. It's a song that seems to be congratulating itself with its edginess ("it's not what good girls do") even as it downplays the event (yes, it's clear this is a one-time event) in every other bit of the song, even as she talks about how "kissable" girls are, she ends the brief ode to feminine beauty by declaring "it's innocent". The music video is pure exploitation, but she never even touches the bevy half-naked chicks twisting around her, and the whole shebang ends with the old "it was all a dream" explanation. Seriously, what a fucking wuss-out. Way to go Katy, you smooched a member of the same sex and you're incredibly proud with your audaciousness, let's run around and tell everyone of this amazing thing you just did. I mean, I can understand if the song was "I licked a vag", but a kiss? Stop patting yourself on the back, sister - the Real World took it into everyone's household a decade ago.

Plus guys, I'm not sure we really want to push this bisexuality thing too much. I mean, do we really want to let girls in on how hot they actually are? Yeah, sure, homosexuality's awesome for them, but we're hairy and smelly and whenever we have curves they're totally in the wrong places. I am NOT getting stuck with you guys at the end of the night.

Little_Miss_1565
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Hear hear!

Looking forward to the smash second single "I Munched a Box."

Sinister
07-09-2008, 10:39 AM
^ actually LOL'd.

MB's analysis of the song (which I have been able to avoid hearing so far) makes a lot of sense.