PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else disappointed with Dexter's voice lately?

Blastero
07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but looking at the recent live videos, I'm really not impressed with Dexter's live voice at this point.

His nasaly bass stuff is worse than ever, sounding like he's coughing up a hairball or something half the time, and he's having real trouble actually hitting notes consistently. Not just the high ones. Just in general, his singing seems more out of tune recently than earlier tours.

I know he's getting older, and the human voice cannot age without changing. I do feel he could be doing a lot better than he is doing, though. Vocal damage is not always irreversible, and I think it'd really benefit the band overall for him to possibly look into something to get his voice back on track.

Jaded skies
07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Sure he used to be good live but seriously, they sound better than a lot of other bands live.Plus high notes are not your friend in live shows and they have a lot of high notes.

Budzy
07-09-2008, 11:45 PM
nothing rong with it.
and who wants a song at a live concert to be perfect? who notices that noodles strikes a wrong note or dexters voice breaks when they're playin right in front of you? should be so excited that they're playing. u never notice the mistakes unless ur watching it on youtube or something.

cool 2 hate 681
07-10-2008, 12:24 AM
u never notice the mistakes unless ur watching it on youtube or something.

i noticed a lot of mistakes when i saw them in san diego this year:eek:

Ninty Man
07-10-2008, 12:58 AM
i noticed a lot of mistakes when i saw them in san diego this year:eek:

Which ones???

Yes, they made mistakes... every band does it

Oxygene
07-10-2008, 01:17 AM
his voice is perfect live.. fuck the videos check them out live... u'll see =)

Aion
07-10-2008, 01:50 AM
believe it or not... he's human

killboybowerhead
07-10-2008, 02:11 AM
yeah his voice isnt quite as strong.. but its hit or miss. I thought the download show was a strong. I saw them in san diego too. There were some screw ups but at least when you're there the only thing that really matters is the vibe and energy and they definitely had me into it and everyone else around me seemed to be to.
hopefully he just needs some time to get back into the swing of things.

Rooster
07-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Well, like said before, the higher notes are difficult to perform live, and they have a lot of them. But he did an amazing job on the RFRG album, so i'm not dissapointed at all.

Conspiracyof1000
07-10-2008, 04:21 AM
believe it or not... he's human

What? No way!

Rutegard
07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
What? No way!

LOL

sure, there's no way of that ebing true!

and NO i do not feel dissapointed at all

The Search Button
07-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Being worried about Dexter's voice is so ridiculous as being worried about his hair.

As long as they still deliver some fun through their albuns and live shows, I'm a happy fan.

And for what we've been hearing lately, they still provide the goods.

Rutegard
07-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Being worried about Dexter's voice is so ridiculous as being worried about his hair.

As long as they still deliver some fun through their albuns and live shows, I'm a happy fan.

And for what we've been hearing lately, they still provide the goods.

yeah they still!!

AMEN!!

RonWelty
07-10-2008, 06:23 AM
of course his voice its not the same nowadays like 10 years ago, actually sometimes he only screams, but when you're in a concert you will not notice , just when u see live videos or audio in pc, but in the show it will sound great, don't worry!

Blastero
07-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Being worried about the quality of their music is on par with being worried about the bands' physical appearance?

And yes, I know he's human, and they do technically sound better than a lot of live bands, but they also sound worse than a lot of them. Performing live music isn't some superhuman task, and I personally think they could be doing a bit better.

The Search Button
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Being worried about the quality of their music is on par with being worried about the bands' physical appearance?

How can you judge "quality of their music" by Dexter's voice alone?

I judge "quality of their music" by their albuns (great) and by the reaction of people after a live show (ecstatic).

And yes I consider the preocupation about Dexter's voice as ridiculous as the preocupation about if he's getting his braids back or if he's going bald.

They still deliver. That's the main.

Rutegard
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM

I judge "quality of their music" by their albuns (great) and by the reaction of people after a live show (ecstatic).

And yes I consider the preocupation about Dexter's voice as ridiculous as the preocupation about if he's getting his braids back or if he's going bald.

They still deliver. That's the main.

they deliver PPOOWWEER!!!

Bipolar Bear
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
They are a lot better than a great number of bands live. It's really not that bad and overall, it's pretty damn fantastic. It shows that they practiced a lot; it's really hard to sing and play at the same time, especially when you've got 13 songs to do and have all those instruments playing around you and a crowd in front of you.

RonWelty
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
IMO in the new songs is where he's worse...in HAMMERHEAD he only screams, but i don't care, i like it :D.

PS: in this "festival tour" he needed the pre-recorded "HAN HAN", during PRETTY FLY, because maybe it "fucks up" his throat or something, so to prevent, now he mostly does playback on that part(okay, not full playback, he says the lines, but the pre-recorded audio is a lot louder), like in that yelling part "hide behind your desks now" in Hammerhead.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Ohhhkay. I have a bit of experience in this area -- I was in a band for awhile and we played out a lot. We always had a ton of fun onstage and everyone who came to see us always had a great time as well. We sounded great! We rule! It was awesome! Etc. But the few times someone has videoed us and we watched it back, I felt like....uggghghghghghgh. People having trouble staying in key all over the place. But, we had three drummers, I was standing next to my bass cab with a guitar amp perched on top of it to save stage space (three drummers, after all) so it was blasting into my ear, so despite having a monitor right in front of me I couldn't hear a damn thing I was singing. Of course I'm going to have trubs staying in tune. And it got worse if I was drunk.

I have absolutely no idea what the Offspring's stage setup is or how loud/effective the monitors are or what the band's BAC is before a show. But there are so many things that go into how you end up sounding live, and I'm also convinced that there is nooooothing more unforgiving than a crowd-shot live video. Imperfections that would normally just get swallowed up in the overall sound at the show come through in upsetting clarity on video.

So basically I agree with TSB.

IamSam
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
or what the band's BAC is before a show.

True. Just ask Noodles.

Oxygene
07-10-2008, 09:47 AM
little miss did her homework..

I know dexter used to use in ear shit, I don't think so anymore tho...

his monitor is his vox very loud and when he has like special guitar parts in like gone away and shit, and the snare drum a bit louder than usual I think...
then like an even mix of the other shit...

if you're bent over his monitor (I've been twice, at one of the trabendo and the last garage show) you basically go def from his quasi-solo parts :) it ain't pretty...

WebDudette
07-10-2008, 09:52 AM
There is a reason bands record all their parts separately.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
if you're bent over his monitor

Too much information! ;)

ernesto88
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
it's true!
on hammerhead live rock am ring!!!!!!!!!!!

Oxygene
07-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Too much information! ;)

Don't worry.. I wasn't bent over the way you'd like to be bent over his monitor =) the other way around

none the less..

PilZ-E:

actually they don't always do that.. I think s/t for sure, but I think.. americana was the first record where they each laid the tracks down totally separately. I was pretty surprised when i found out... I thought s/t maybe ignition... oh well. life's full of surprises

Capricorn4
07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
When I saw them last Saturday I didn't notice anything wrong,but it's hard to judge when you get squeezed by the crowd and the others around you sing twice as loud than the singer.
I saw some videos on youtube where his voice was horrible,it could be due to the video quality.And smoking has a bad effect on vocal chords.

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
he attempts some pretty difficult notes. I use their more recent albums for vocal excercises. I'm female and the guy sings higher than me. Also, people are always going to have their off nights. I've got video of consecutive performances of my own and one night i'll be dead on every note, while others make me wanna hunt down every copy of that performance and burn it. thats life.

WebDudette
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
pretty much off-topic.
Is there anyway to tell if you have a decent singing voice without asking people about it?

I know several bands at one point or another do all the recording at once. But in most cases bands lay down the tracks separately so they don't throw each other off and one person messing up doesn't ruin someone else's good run.

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
[quote=PilZ-E;1152372]pretty much off-topic.
Is there anyway to tell if you have a decent singing voice without asking people about it?quote]

record yourself on the computer and play it back

RageAndLov
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
i dont know about dexter's voice live, i have seen some youtube videos where he can't hit some higher notes, but i dont know
on the new album, his voice is amazing, no matter how he sings live!

Dexter_italy
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Dexter lost some range during the years, it's obvious, but now he's a better singer, really, if you look to some old videos he used to screw much more than now.... He can ear himself quite well durings the show...he has 5 monitors sourrounding him :D I wish I had almost one when I play :D

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Don't worry.. I wasn't bent over the way you'd like to be bent over his monitor =) the other way around

Wait so YOU bent him over, is that what you're saying? ;) Dude, I work here...wanting to bang the boss is poor form! :P

BUT SERIOUSLY, I'm glad that people are better able to see the different things involved with a live vocal performance and take it in stride now.

Blastero
07-10-2008, 03:53 PM

They still deliver. That's the main. I don't judge them entirely on his voice. I judge them based on how the music sounds, and considering that the voice is, for all intents and purposes, a lead instrument, and one of the most important parts of the band, I think being disappointed with his voice is plenty reason to criticize them. I really don't care how wild the crowd goes. I listen to music for music. Not crowd reactions.

And I'm not trying to be an uber snob. Their performance during the greatest hits tour was quite enjoyable, in my opinion, and even Summersonic was pretty well done. These recent shows however just seem much sloppier.

And one last thing I wanted to point out. I often see people referencing how "hard" it is to perform live music, and how difficult their music is. I never quite understand what people mean when they say a particular piece of music is "hard". Sure, certain things cannot be played by beginners, but if you are an experienced musician, it's not hard. When you practice something enough, it becomes not hard.

The Search Button
07-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't judge them entirely on his voice. I judge them based on how the music sounds, and considering that the voice is, for all intents and purposes, a lead instrument, and one of the most important parts of the band, I think being disappointed with his voice is plenty reason to criticize them. I really don't care how wild the crowd goes. I listen to music for music. Not crowd reactions.

And I'm not trying to be an uber snob. Their performance during the greatest hits tour was quite enjoyable, in my opinion, and even Summersonic was pretty well done. These recent shows however just seem much sloppier.

Ok. Thats just your opinion and I respect that. Though I disagree.

I take this thing somehow personally, because they have recently been on my country and people who don't even use to listen to them, where just bitching to me about the shitty vocalist voice and whatever.

I just say to them. Chill out dudes. This is a punk rock act, who gives a flying fuck for how the voices sounds like? Do you have any idea of how many beers they get before they go on stage? Feel lucky that they recollect the lyrics allright.

Bipolar Bear
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Feel lucky that they recollect the lyrics allright.

Haha you mean when Dexter doesn't mess up the lyrics

Gayman
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I personally think his voice has gotten better.

jacknife737
07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I would just like to ask people to re-read the post by Little_Miss. Also, don't have uber high expectations when seeing a band live, I've seen a lot of amazing live bands, but none of them play as well technically as they did on their studio albums, but more then make up for it by playing with energy, ect.

Also, dude, are you basing your opinion off various, poorly recorded bootlegs? Probably not the best place to judge how great a band plays live.

Blastero
07-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Why does it matter? And no, they weren't poorly recorded. The Summersonic '07 bootleg is excellent quality, and so are the older videos I've seen.

lost_nvrfound
07-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Dexter lost some range during the years

huh? compare older recordings to the new ones... the notes he hit now are off the scale when compared to older albums...

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Haha you mean when Dexter doesn't mess up the lyrics

Have you ever seen the Vandals live?
Dave forgets lyrics like every other song, lol.
But you act like a professional and just get on with it, even if you screw up what you're singing, the rest of the music is still chugging along. it would be really bad form to stop and call a "do-over".

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Have you ever seen the Vandals live?
Dave forgets lyrics like every other song, lol.

Which reminds me! If I never get the chance to see Dave forget all the lyrics live, I will cut a bitch. That is all.

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Which reminds me! If I never get the chance to see Dave forget all the lyrics live, I will cut a bitch. That is all.

I know! its part of the charm of a Vandals show!

"i have an idea for a movie... bah bah bah bah"

iPunk247
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
disappointed never ever. Dexter is only human. c'mon peoples respect Holland.

Gustavo
07-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, it is quite different now.
But those who are not happy with it have to understand that he is a human being and just like each human being, he gets older, just like we are getting older and older... and of course, lots of changes come with it.

LowEndLem
07-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Anyone ever see the video of LAPD live?

He forgets the words halfway through. Very entertaining.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=9wi3y3j_AdE&feature=related

Dexter_italy
07-11-2008, 02:29 AM
huh? compare older recordings to the new ones... the notes he hit now are off the scale when compared to older albums...

On the record the voice is edited with computers and for that sounds cleaner and higher. But for example he sings bad habit better now then in 94.

Stylie
07-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Anyone ever see the video of LAPD live?

He forgets the words halfway through. Very entertaining.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=9wi3y3j_AdE&feature=related

Ah, that vid is almost priceless.