PDA

View Full Version : Advice for the rookie

Anya82
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm thinking about giving my man a guitar, because he is very interested in learning to play.

I have no friggin' idea about guitars and shit. So I'm asking you to give me some recommendations about guitars to start with, and advice about learning how to play.

ad8
07-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I'd go with Ibanez all the way. Their guitars are cheap but sound damn good.
Edit: Did you rather think of an acoustic or an electric guitar?

Anya82
07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
i'm going for the electric. But as I said, I have no idea which one to buy for someone who's starting.

ad8
07-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Well Ibanez has some great guitars imo. Of course there are also the established guitar brands like Gibson and Fender but I like Ibanez guitars better than them(I play for about 1 1/2 years, so I'm also not very experienced). I might like Ibanez better because I rather play fast stuff like punk rock, and Ibanez guitars are built for the faster styles. If your man would rather play softer and slower stuff, then a Gibson or Fender might be better, but they might also be more expensive(they are way more expensive here in Germany, maybe it's the same in Mexico).

Anya82
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
thank you very much. :) I'll keep that in mind :)

I'll keep reading the posts, people.

Andy
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm not a guitarist myself, but know a good amount of them and not one of them is a fan of Ibanez guitars. The constant gripe is they apparently have really thin necks, which is an issue for some people.

Sorry, I have no suggestions I just wanted to throw that in there.

Ryder1234
07-10-2008, 02:15 PM
i also know a lot of guitarists (i am also one myself), and all of them (myself included) praise Ibanez. I don't know how it is for other beginners, but when i was still learning basic stuff, i had a Stratocaster lookalike and the neck was impossible to play on. It was just too thick. But when i got an Ibanez GIO, I played Gone Away within 10 minutes. Of course, gona away is a pretty easy song, but I couldnt play anything smoothly on the Strat, and i just was able to play it right away. and i memorized the formatiton for power chords then too.

dff_punk
07-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Ibanez is great, but imho, Squier(if you have those in your country) are still suitable for beginners, and also very cheap.

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
get him a chord book, and learn basic chords. try to get him to listen to a lot of music on the radio/CD and try learning by ear.
tabs are a quick and easy way to learn songs, however, most tabs are incorrect, and it kinda hampers you in learning how to play, because the guitar turns into more of a "grid" than an instrument.
it is harder to go from tabs to chords than vice versa.

and dont get me started on Squiers. they are cheap because they are made cheap. the "cool" finishes are put on them for a reason. dont be fooled.

Little_Miss_1565
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I would suggest getting him a gift certificate for a guitar rather than picking one out for him. I just say that because it turns out that I am incredibly picky about my sound, even straight out the box when I was getting my first guitar. Even if he's a beginner, it can be a matter of personal preference.

Ryder1234
07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
get him a chord book, and learn basic chords. try to get him to listen to a lot of music on the radio/CD and try learning by ear.
tabs are a quick and easy way to learn songs, however, most tabs are incorrect, and it kinda hampers you in learning how to play, because the guitar turns into more of a "grid" than an instrument.
it is harder to go from tabs to chords than vice versa.

i haven't seemed to have had a problem with that. I started on tabs and im learning chords now but im not having any difficulty.

as for what you said Little Miss, im have the same thing. although for me its more with my pedals than with my guitars. i'm extremely picky, i just got an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer yesterday, and even with all the good stuff i've heard about it, i'm not very satisfied. right now at least, but i may find a setting i like. its way better than my Boss Dist pedal, though.

Anya82
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Thank you, all for your replies. I am really taking my notes! :)

besides the guitar and some chord books to start with.. do I need to get something else?
Cause I really don't know anything about this.

Little_Miss_1565
07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Depending on how much you want to spend, you could also get instrument cable, a practice amp (or headphone amp), and picks.

lost_nvrfound
07-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I've played on a pretty wide array of guitars. My dad owns more than 20 in at least 10 brands.

I like Ibanez alright but I prefer their acoustics over their electrics.

Forget about anything Fender. People praise them but they tend to be finicky. Squiers are especially this way. Now my dad has a couple of Teles but they're both customs and I can only tolerate one of them and those are expensive.

You also hear people drool over Les Pauls and SGs. They're great guitars but also expensive.

Now you could try something like an Epiphone Sg copy or one of their other imitator guitars. You get the same feel for less money. Though you'll probably want different pickups than what comes in them.

But my personal favorite as far as overall brands go is Godin. They don't get enough appreciation for what they are so the price is decent. They aren't the most attractive guitars. But you can find a lot of styles in a natural finish which, if the wood is good, can be nice. They also have slimmer necks than a lot of brands which is great for beginners.

I have a Godin Radiator and my dad has two or three other Godins and they are all fantastic guitars.

On top of that, its been said before, you will probably want to look into some practice amplifiers. They are small, cheap, and they aren't tube driven like a full sized amp so the upkeep is easy. An electric without an amp can make learning songs tough because they sound so different plugged in.