PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here not have a myspace?

WisdomSeeker
07-13-2008, 04:27 AM
For that, i respect you.

HeadAroundU
07-13-2008, 04:51 AM
I don't have it. Thank you for your precious respect. :D

JoY
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM
oh yep, me.

but my pianist made the band one, for which I hate her forever & ever. fortunately I don't have to look at it, visit it, keep it organised or updated, so it's okay I guess.

Keyser
07-13-2008, 06:58 AM
I dont have myspace

nieh
07-13-2008, 07:05 AM
but my pianist made the band one, for which I hate her forever & ever. fortunately I don't have to look at it, visit it, keep it organised or updated, so it's okay I guess.

Is there music on it? If so, do you have a link?

JoY
07-13-2008, 07:18 AM
some, but not much. not all of it is played by us (one is), but they're the same songs we play, except the people who were in the band before us recorded it & we never did. we're better though, we're just too lazy to record it.

http://www.myspace.com/romaneznl

shanna_guarana
07-13-2008, 07:19 AM
i don't have it..

Bipolar Bear
07-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Thank god I don't have a myspace. What's the point of them? It sounds awfully girlish to me.

Jaded skies
07-13-2008, 07:52 AM
facebook no myspace.

F@ BANKZ
07-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Bebo (no, seriously), but no Myspace.

nieh
07-13-2008, 08:27 AM
some, but not much. not all of it is played by us (one is), but they're the same songs we play, except the people who were in the band before us recorded it & we never did. we're better though, we're just too lazy to record it.

http://www.myspace.com/romaneznl

Which song is played by you guys? I can't check it out now since I'm on my computer at work but I'll try to when I get back home at some point.

nightvision
07-13-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a facepage, but no myspace...

Yup, same here.

0r4ng3
07-13-2008, 08:31 AM
I deleted mine about a year ago, does that count?

Tizzalicious
07-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I have two :(

yellow
07-13-2008, 09:58 AM
no myspace. does anything good ever come from it? i have only heard the negative stuff.

Jakebert
07-13-2008, 09:59 AM
I have one, but I only use it every once in a while for stalking purposes.

Nina
07-13-2008, 10:28 AM
I had one but I deleted it recently because I havent used it in a year/year in a half, which makes it pointless to me. I prefer the German version of, uh, facebook (I guess), because I interact with people all the time through it, it's very useful.

Tizzalicious
07-13-2008, 10:32 AM
We have a Dutch Facebook type thing too, and I prefer that one as well. I use it a LOT to stay in touch with people back home.

MySpace is good for the business though :)

Ryder1234
07-13-2008, 10:39 AM
i think i made a myspace once, but i never signed in again and forgot the password. i do have facebook though.

dff_punk
07-13-2008, 10:44 AM
Anybody else experiencing the problem with myspace.com? When I go to the mainpage, it automatically switches to spanish version of myspace. I can change it to english, but whenever I click on something, it is spanish again.... And I am not from a country which speaks spanish...

Capricorn4
07-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Anybody else experiencing the problem with myspace.com? When I go to the mainpage, it automatically switches to spanish version of myspace. I can change it to english, but whenever I click on something, it is spanish again.... And I am not from a country which speaks spanish...

I have the same problem.But if you click on myspace international you can change the language back to english.I made it a few times.

Blitzkrieg Bop
07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
No myspace, don't really see the point, however facebook, that is a different question entirely ;)

disclaimer_07
07-13-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't have it either. So what?! x( ;P x] I'm quite happy with that x}

H1T_That
07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Whats the difference between MySpace and Facebook....

They're both just networking tools.

Autonomist
07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
I have a Myspace, and have constantly been the butt of many jokes about it from friends who consider it lame. Last week however it was having a Myspace that led to me obtaining tickets to the world premiere of The Dark Knight. Who's laughing now?

IamSam
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I have a Myspace, and have constantly been the butt of many jokes about it from friends who consider it lame. Last week however it was having a Myspace that led to me obtaining tickets to the world premiere of The Dark Knight. Who's laughing now?

You are. Lucky!

I have Facebook and Myspace but hate Facebook because of the stupid applications.

Llamas
07-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Whats the difference between MySpace and Facebook....

They're both just networking tools.

They're both creeping toward becoming more and more similar, which sucks. I used to really like Facebook, but now it annoys me so much that I don't visit much. I really only keep my Myspace because it's the only real way I can keep in touch with my sister. Facebook allows me to keep in touch with all kinds of friends that I don't see very often, especially those in other states or countries. I like Facebook more also because it was cleaner (it still is, but not as much), less ads, less obnoxious colors, no retarded layouts, no songs playing on every page you visit, less spamming, it's safer, etc. They are different, but have pretty much the same goal.

H1T_That
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
From what i've seen on friends Facebook pages, there seems to be a lot of shit going on. I feel they've gone a little over the top on the applications and strayed away from whats important. i.e actually sending people messages, sharing photos etc.

Llamas
07-13-2008, 12:33 PM
From what i've seen on friends Facebook pages, there seems to be a lot of shit going on. I feel they've gone a little over the top on the applications and strayed away from whats important. i.e actually sending people messages, sharing photos etc.

The problem is that Facebook got sold from the original creator, and whoever owns it now is turning it into mini-myspace. The whole point of applications, the newsfeed, etc was to get ads up everywhere without being as conspicuous as Myspace. I do indeed hate that, quite honestly.

Conspiracyof1000
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I have both a MySpace and a Facebook, both due to peer pressure on and off the internet.
I hate myself.

Bipolar Bear
07-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I have both a MySpace and a Facebook, both due to peer pressure on and off the internet.
I hate myself.

You should you filthy piece of garbage. How dare you use MySpace and Facebook. :rolleyes:

Anyway, just sarcastic. It's nothing to be ashamed about really. I did shameful things in the past too.
I secretly played the pokemon red gameboy game when I was 15 :(
It was...oddly fun
Don't judge me :(

Conspiracyof1000
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I...bought Pokemon Diamond on the day it came out. I was 14. I still play it, and this year I'm going to be 16.

That's something to be ashamed about.

Bipolar Bear
07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
I...bought Pokemon Diamond on the day it came out. I was 14. I still play it, and this year I'm going to be 16.

That's something to be ashamed about.

Don't talk to me anymore LOL

Conspiracyof1000
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
So do you have a MySpace or not? Or did you come here to admit you were an in the closet Pokemon fan?

Bipolar Bear
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Thank god I don't have a myspace. What's the point of them? It sounds awfully girlish to me.

but yeah...and
I WAS ALSO AN IN THE CLOSET NEOPETS FAN WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD
don't judge me :(

Conspiracyof1000
07-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit off today...
Now I hate myself even more....

Nicole
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
I thought both myspace and facebook were terrible. I finally caved in to facebook and have been headhunting my friends to add them. I added about 20 people and the majority of the time I'm hearing "No I don't have facebook." Occasionally this is followed through by "I do have myspace though." Perhaps I should have stuck with my original train of thought about these kinds of sites because now I look like a friendless person because most people I know seem to think like I originally did.

Oxygene
07-14-2008, 12:45 AM
I hate these community websites.. it's just too "big brother is watching" for me...

If I wanna talk to someone I call them on the phone or write a text or e-mail.

WisdomSeeker
07-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm actually suprised at the turnout of non-users, probably 98% of the people at my school use it, especially girls, who are pretty pathetic because they can't go 10 minutes without checking it.
Although i probably know a lot more people who have it because i'm 16 and i'm guessing a lot of you guys are older.
I think those sort of sites are sad and pathetic and i will never use one. I don't even have a mobile phone, not because i don't have any friends, i have plenty, there's just no need for someone my age to have one.

sipptaroowsky
07-14-2008, 01:41 AM
I don't have myspace, but I have facebook, haven't been on it for 3 months since websence appeared. I don't know if there are similarities but facebook is just idiotic, all those purposeless games, the idiotic quizzes, it's kind of an internet shrink. Well I opened it up, since websence blocked ICQ and msn so I couldn't stay in touch with the buddies at home, but since now facebook is blocked as well...I guess it lost purpose, it sucked while it lasted.

ad8
07-14-2008, 02:39 AM
I created a myspace for my bands, but does that count? There's no personal information about me on it...

WisdomSeeker
07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
having a myspace for your band is not really that pathetic. Just having one for your own personal self is.
I suppose myspace is pretty handy for bands that have yet to be noticed, i have a group of friends who make short flms and we have a myspace for our group, but my friend controls that and i try not to be associated with it at all.

WebDudette
07-14-2008, 03:00 AM
I have one. I enjoy myspace because if I am exceptionally bored I enjoy tweaking or designing my page (I understand it take very little skill but I enjoy it none the less).

I always use it to talk to several of my friends.

Oh yeah and the bands. It is really helpful for all sorts of music related stuff.

gala
07-14-2008, 03:12 AM
I don't have myspace and I've never visited one.

Camilamazed
07-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Despite my rare use of myspace I don't see a problem.

I think it's good for those who like to be in touch with friends or keep their business (Like Tizz said) and have their fav bands updating all in one place. I don't use it much because I have two other networking tools I use more often; However I still keep it because sometimes it's the only way to check some of my fav bands profiles.

So I don't really see why people would not be respected for having it.

"I hate these community websites.. it's just too "big brother is watching" for me...
If I wanna talk to someone I call them on the phone or write a text or e-mail."

Well, the whole internet look like a BB watching. So... What if someone, other than your friends, wants to talk to you? Are you not open for new friends? Why spending so much time calling and text messaging all of your friends if you can talk to them all at once?

I mean, of course closer friends we call more often, but what about those old friends you don't talk all the time? I have several friends I like to keep in touch but not all the time. So it's good to know I can find them and every now and then ask how they are doing.

Nina
07-14-2008, 05:26 AM
I mean, of course closer friends we call more often, but what about those old friends you don't talk all the time? I have several friends I like to keep in touch but not all the time. So it's good to know I can find them and every now and then ask how they are doing.

This is why I find these communities useful, too. I call close friends all the time, but it's hard to keep in touch with everyone I know and like if you have to call them all the time. And if I had to write text messages all the time I'd probably be completely broke very fast ;P

Also, I personally grew tired of being so paranoid over what people on the internet know about me. Obviously I wont give my credit card number away and people dont know where I live, but, jeez. If someone wants to kill me he will most likely succeed anyway. Google and similar companies know way too much about what we look for and which sites we visit so I kind of gave up trying to ~hide~ from it. Dunno...

Sunny
07-14-2008, 06:05 AM
WisdomSeeker, you are hilariously punk rock. too cool for myspace, too cool for cell phones.. RARAR TRUPUNX!

i find the backlash against such things to be quite silly and pointless. not having a myspace or a phone doesn't make you any more unique or necessarily cooler than the people who do. especially if gaining your respect depends on something so ultimately irrelevant... which would, i hate to say, make you a remarkably petty, self-conscious little prick. trust me, at the very core of it, you are no different from the kids with iphones and myspaces.

i don't use my myspace because all my friends are on facebook, fyi.

Oxygene
07-14-2008, 06:22 AM
I mean, of course closer friends we call more often, but what about those old friends you don't talk all the time?

Fuck old friends!

If you want to interact with someone through a webpage specifically made to interact with people you don't want to spend time with interacting in r/l then they aren't worth while :)

I understand the practical side of these sites, I'm not disputing it.. I'm just letting you know why I don't use them.

But I've made an exception since these forums have started the same shit, I started acknowleding friendship or whatever requests by ppl who add me and I know them bla bla bla...

But I completley respect if someone likes that shit, it's just not for me.. and it's not because I'm too good for it. I just don't like it.

Nina
07-14-2008, 07:22 AM
If you want to interact with someone through a webpage specifically made to interact with people you don't want to spend time with interacting in r/l then they aren't worth while :)

Hm I dont want to make you change your mind and I honestly dont care if you use such sites or not, but what you say just isnt right, at least not from what I know. None of my friends use the site to interact with people they dont want to spend any time with. That doesnt make sense to me. It's usually because I can't spend time with them, for whatever reason.
But as you said yourself, to each their own.

Camilamazed
07-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Fuck old friends!

Thank Goodness I'm not your friend and I hope your friends to not read it.

It's not that those friends aren't worth while. It's just that, as Nina said, we can't spend time together.

Myself for instance. I have lots os friends, people I worked with and even students that like to talk to me sometimes and vice-versa now that I'm spending sometime in the USA. See, what if I had to call them or text message them all the time? Also, I can keep them posted with pictures or journals etc..

Or what if you have friends that move abroad or to different cities? Are you going to delete them from your life?

Come on. You are not supposed to like the networking tools but you should at least use real reasons not to like it.

Oxygene
07-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Hm I dont want to make you change your mind and I honestly dont care if you use such sites or not, but what you say just isnt right, at least not from what I know. None of my friends use the site to interact with people they dont want to spend any time with. That doesnt make sense to me. It's usually because I can't spend time with them, for whatever reason.
But as you said yourself, to each their own.

I was twisting the thing out of proportion to give you a take on it's absurdity.. out of humor.

I'm not a fan of superficial relationships. I can find the time to remember and chat up and find friends with out assistance from a website or a computer. I don't find this whole thing appealing, but it's a personal thing. I don't judge anyone who does use it, I'm just telling you why I DON'T use it/them.

Thank Goodness I'm not your friend

Yeah let's... I'm guessing the fact that I was kidding never crossed your mind, did it?

Come on. You are not supposed to like the networking tools but you should at least use real reasons not to like it.

I'm sorry my arguments against these sites promoting impersonal and superficial "friendships" doesn't live up to some standard of your scrutiny. I choose to have close and good friends, ones that I care about truly, even if that is just a few people. I also choose not to ease my conscience by mass mailing out photographs of my recent trips to people I don't care enough to call and share the expirenece with.

I seriously doubt anyone out there has more than 20 - 30 acquaintances they deeply care about. But even if that isn't the case, noone has hundreds and hundreds of people.
I guess we just have different values...

Again.. if I don't like them because of the wrong reasons then fuck the right reasons :)

Llamas
07-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Let me guess, Oxygene. You must not have friends in any other countries.

Many people do. I, for instance, have friends who live in over 10 different countries. It would actually be impossible for me to keep in touch with these people without the internet. I hope to see these friends again if I get a chance to visit those countries, or if they were to visit mine, but chances are that my options are either to talk to them online, or forget them forever.

Oxygene
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I live in Budapest

I have friends / acquantences in:

San Diego
New York
DC
London
Paris
just to name a few off the top of my head...

I'm not saying don't use the internet, I just don't like these facebook myspace like networking tools.. I find them impresonal and superficial and I avoid those relationships as much as I can.. it is totally irrelevant how many countries my friends live in.

Llamas
07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not saying don't use the internet, I just don't like these facebook myspace like networking tools.. I find them impresonal and superficial and I avoid those relationships as much as I can.. it is totally irrelevant how many countries my friends live in.

Hmm...

I can find the time to remember and chat up and find friends with out assistance from a website or a computer.

How do you keep in touch with your foreign friends without a website or a computer? Do you actually spend the money to call them?

I personally don't see the difference between conversing with friends through email and conversing with them through messages on facebook. I like facebook for a few reasons: all my online friend contacts are in one place, I can leave them a quick message, send them a long email type message, or engage in conversation all at the same place, I can easily invite many people to an event, including people who don't have phones, and I can send them reminders about events. And those are just the reasons relating to the friends I do get to see. For my friends in other countries/states, I can see what's new with them and then send them an email to ask details or follow up. When you've got a big number of friends in other countries or states, sometimes it's easy to let them slip by when you don't write/email regularly.

I don't expect you to like/use facebook or myspace. No problem. I just think you're writing them off as superficial and fake, just because you likely know a lot of people who use them in such ways. A lot of people use the internet to play WoW all day, and do nothing else. But it would be foolish for someone to write off the internet as some silly way to escape real life and spend all your time playing a game.

Rooster
07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
What the fuck is MYSPACE?!?!

:D

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 10:22 AM
A lot of people here are giving off the "I'm too cool for that shit" vibe. Which is really pathetic.

Rooster
07-14-2008, 10:25 AM
A lot of people here are giving off the "I'm too cool for that shit" vibe. Which is really pathetic.

Nah, i'm only making fun of it. I'm too lazy to create a myspace account, i don't think i'm too cool for it.

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Nah, i'm only making fun of it. I'm too lazy to create a myspace account, i don't think i'm too cool for it.

"Hey, i'm too lazy to put minimal effort into keeping in contact with my friends, so i'll make fun of the situation!"

Wow, aren't you awesome.

Rooster
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
"Hey, i'm too lazy to put minimal effort into keeping in contact with my friends, so i'll make fun of the situation!"

Wow, aren't you awesome.

I can keep contact with my friends by the e-mail or by telephone, so i think myspace account is useless. What, if there were no myspace, you would have no friends or what?

And i said i'm not trying to make myself look cool (i hate that kind of people, i know too much of them), so shut the fuck up. I didn't want to be impolite, you asked for it yourself. If you can't understand a simple joke i feel sorry for you.

I won't continue this conversation, because i don't want to keep flame wars alive.

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I can keep contact with my friends by the e-mail or by telephone, so i think myspace account is useless. What, if there were no myspace, you would have no friends or what?

And i said i'm not trying to make myself look cool (i hate that kind of people, i know too much of them), so shut the fuck up. I didn't want to be impolite, you asked for it yourself. If you can't understand a simple joke i feel sorry for you.

I won't continue this conversation, because i don't want to keep flame wars alive.

You said you were making fun of it because you were too lazy to make one. Which is just plain retarded.

Flame wars? wtf are you, like 12?

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Hit That: did you split with your gf or something?

......no.....:confused:

Camilamazed
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah let's... I'm guessing the fact that I was kidding never crossed your mind, did it?

Sorry?!

I'm sorry my arguments against these sites promoting impersonal and superficial "friendships" doesn't live up to some standard of your scrutiny.

Well, just because you keep in touch to your friends through these websites it doesn't mean they are superficial and impersonal friendships.

I guess you have an example of it here. A lot of BBSers have been friends for a very long time but they all live apart. If you call superficial people you randomly add to your friend list then I agree. I mean, I don't completely agree because I added two people because we had the same fav bands in common and it's been 2 years now we're very close friends.

Question: Let's say you go to a show or a party or something like that and meet some cool chick. You want to keep in touch but she's to scared to give you the phone you know. She decides to give you her email or myspace adress. So you will not talk to her anymore because it's superficial?

Come on, meeting people on these websites is the same thing meeting people randomly.

Oh and yes, A friend of mine that just got married and chose me to be her brides-maid, found me in one of these websites after meeting me at an offspring concert. So, if it weren't for them, We would never be best friends by now.

I choose to have close and good friends, ones that I care about truly, even if that is just a few people. I also choose not to ease my conscience by mass mailing out photographs of my recent trips to people I don't care enough to call and share the expirenece with.

But that's the thing. You care about a few people truly. Some other people may have a lot more friends they care about, still it does't mean they're superficial.

I seriously doubt anyone out there has more than 20 - 30 acquaintances

No need to doubt anymore. I have way more than 30 acquaintances. As I told you, besides my family, I have friends, people I worked with and students I still have a lot of contact.

I find them impresonal and superficial and I avoid those relationships as much as I can.. it is totally irrelevant how many countries my friends live in.

But Oxygene, you don't need to talk to people you don't know. But if you prefer calling your friends from different parts of the country or reduce you're talking bby emails, that's ok. I respect that.

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
You appear to be rather tense of late. Raw nerves... or maybe this raptor guy gets your goat, I wouldn't know.

Not just him. Generally the mass influx of fuck-wittery of late is pissing me off a little.

Rooster
07-14-2008, 12:04 PM
...and then he sais to me: "Flame wars? wtf are you, like 12?"

You are the one, who is keeping the flame wars in this thread alive, dude, and you made me lie that i won't continue this conversation.

btw, i said that i was too lazy to make a myspace account - if it seemed usefull for me to create one, i'd create it anyway, no matter how lazy i am.

Now i've said everything i wanted to say here.

H1T_That
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
...and then he sais to me: "Flame wars? wtf are you, like 12?"

You are the one, who is keeping the flame wars in this thread alive, dude, and you made me lie that i won't continue this conversation.

I'm not sure what you constitute this "flame war" thing to be all about. But this certainly isn't one.

You said something, i thought it was dumb, you think i'm starting something personal with you or something...

Let it go man...

IamSam
07-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Sit down. Relax. Have a sandwich. Drink a glass of milk. Do some fucking thing.

No no. I think you meant to say this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvs3RvXpCT8)

Cock Joke
07-14-2008, 03:46 PM
For that, i respect you.

Sweet! These social networking sites are overrated.:cool:

Enmanuel
07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
my myspace is

www.myspace.com/joydarks

any fan of the offspring is welcome xD

Rooster
07-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm not sure what you constitute this "flame war" thing to be all about. But this certainly isn't one.

You said something, i thought it was dumb, you think i'm starting something personal with you or something...

Let it go man...

Well, i may have overreacted, i admit. My first two comments WERE SUPPOSED TO BE DUMB, i thought a little sarcasm wouldn't hurt. Then you said like i think i'm awesome beacuse of making such comments (and i hate those assshats that think they are something more than the others - some "i'm so much more awesome and intelligent than you" bitch and her husband just disrespected my family a few days ago, and that's why i'm more in a let's say "fighting" mode). Then a flame war almost started. But gladly both of us are grown up enough that it didn't continue. If we ever meet, i'll buy you a beer ;)

Peace

WisdomSeeker
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't at all think i'm too cool for things, i don't choose not to have these things because i think i'm cool, i just don't because i really don't care.
Although i am against people getting stuff like that purely because everyone else does.
I should rephrase everything i've said, i don't mean anyone who has a myspace is pathetic, just the people who are obsessed with myspace, as if they couldn't survive not going on every 10 minutes to check it at the very sight of a computer.

0r4ng3
07-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I find that MySpace haters are just as annoying as those that are MySpace-obsessed.

Oxygene
07-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Hmm...

How do you keep in touch with your foreign friends without a website or a computer? Do you actually spend the money to call them?

Actually yeah, the phone is my no. 1 way of keeping in touch.. no. 2 is meeting in person.

I personally don't see the difference between conversing with friends through email and conversing with them through messages on facebook. I like facebook for a few reasons: all my online friend contacts are in one place, I can leave them a quick message, send them a long email type message, or engage in conversation all at the same place, I can easily invite many people to an event, including people who don't have phones, and I can send them reminders about events. And those are just the reasons relating to the friends I do get to see. For my friends in other countries/states, I can see what's new with them and then send them an email to ask details or follow up. When you've got a big number of friends in other countries or states, sometimes it's easy to let them slip by when you don't write/email regularly.

The reason you see no difference, is because there is no difference.. having the same conversation in person or over the phone or via e-mail or myspace or facebook or graffiti doesn't change anything, it's not what I'm saying. I never said the site wasn't practical.. but keep reading..

I don't expect you to like/use facebook or myspace. No problem. I just think you're writing them off as superficial and fake, just because you likely know a lot of people who use them in such ways.

No I'm writing them off as PROMOTING being superficial and fake. Just because you have the IQ to use it properly by no means implies others do too.. just like drugs. Just 'cause there are people who don't become crackheads doesn't mean that's not where crack abuse leads in the long run. You being intelligent is by no means a valid argument. Imagine how shallow the average myspace and facebook page is (not yours.. the average - go browse randomly).. ok now picture this: half of them are even shallower.

A lot of people use the internet to play WoW all day, and do nothing else. But it would be foolish for someone to write off the internet as some silly way to escape real life and spend all your time playing a game.

Exactly, that's why I'm saying they aren't good for me, and I'm not "better than myspace" it just holds no value to me. I didn't say it was stupid to use it etc etc.. The thread is "who here does not have a myspace" and I said I don't and I also said why. I didn't say I don't use a computer to keep intouch. I'm just saying I don't need streamlined optimized applications that are aimed at "put the least effort in as humanly possible". I don't have a problem calling my relatives and friends abroad from my cell, I also don't have a problem opening my mailbox etc etc.
I agree it makes perfect sense for bands and groups etc.

Sorry?!

Never mind.. I didn't seriously mean "Fuck old friends!" I was kidding.. than you said thank goodness I'm not your friend, and I said "let's do that.. let's thank goodness" it's really lame explaining this shit you know :)

Well, just because you keep in touch to your friends through these websites it doesn't mean they are superficial and impersonal friendships.

No it doesn't WHY WOULD IT? I said it promotes that attitude and behaviour and I think it's unhealthy, theres enough shallowness as is, and it needs to extra help

I guess you have an example of it here. A lot of BBSers have been friends for a very long time but they all live apart. If you call superficial people you randomly add to your friend list then I agree. I mean, I don't completely agree because I added two people because we had the same fav bands in common and it's been 2 years now we're very close friends.

Blah: I've met two of the people I truly liked from this BBS in person (I've met more whom I've liked but not who I formed bonds with) I've called them over the phone etc.. one of them lives in Canada the other one lives in Texas. So I know where you're coming from.. but interacting with someone who you think you have a deep bond with exclusivley on the computer is silly.

Question: Let's say you go to a show or a party or something like that and meet some cool chick. You want to keep in touch but she's to scared to give you the phone you know. She decides to give you her email or myspace adress. So you will not talk to her anymore because it's superficial?

First off: I've been in a happy relationship since before these social networking tools took off... Second: even if that happened I'd laugh. If she's too scared (and stupid) to give me her number, she can get lost. I don't need any paranoid chicks in my life =)

Come on, meeting people on these websites is the same thing meeting people randomly.

Oh and yes, A friend of mine that just got married and chose me to be her brides-maid, found me in one of these websites after meeting me at an offspring concert. So, if it weren't for them, We would never be best friends by now.

But that's the thing. You care about a few people truly. Some other people may have a lot more friends they care about, still it does't mean they're superficial.

Actually it does: if it didn't than many people would have hundreds of best friends. You can only divide your attention so many times before it becomes meaningless, we all have time constraints and if you don't / can't / aren't willing to devote enough time to a certain person they just aren't that important

No need to doubt anymore. I have way more than 30 acquaintances. As I told you, besides my family, I have friends, people I worked with and students I still have a lot of contact.

Yeah, and they're so special you need special software to list them all... (this - again - is a smirky joke to point out absurdity)

But Oxygene, you don't need to talk to people you don't know. But if you prefer calling your friends from different parts of the country or reduce you're talking bby emails, that's ok. I respect that.

Look, it might be my fault, but I'm HUGELY misunderstood. First off: I'm not saying relationships born, maintained etc etc on these networking tools are by nature superficial. I'm just saying they easily slip into that, because it makes things impersonal. I stand by my oppinion that making it this easy and practical and taking any effort out of it leads to this. You don't have to agree, but that's how it works regardless. There are always going to be tons and tons of exception, and I'm sure there is some oversocialized person out there with 7 million BFF blah blah blah, but bottom line is still what I said. People you can't list in 1 minute off the top of your head you don't need to be "marked in as friends" over the Internet. And I also don't think these tools are essential for keeping intouch with real friends. They might make it easier, but it might trade off into what I'm saying.. blah.

I didn't mean to offend anyone or to judge, but that's my take on why I DON'T USE IT, and why I don't think they're that important. blah

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-15-2008, 11:00 AM
Y'all went and stole my thread, asshole. (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21754)

Marco
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Add me to the list of your Non-Myspacer buddies :p

leo3375
07-15-2008, 12:37 PM
No MySpace for me! Thought of starting two pages, though: One public for promoting my design and illustration work, and one private that would be a personal page.

Anyone claiming to be me on any social-networking page is a LIAR!

0r4ng3
07-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Doesn't this forum kind of count as a social networking page?

Oxygene
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Doesn't this forum kind of count as a social networking page?

um.. actually yeah a little bit :)

arak0r
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
http://www.ratemymotivational.com/?id=13320

well it seemed fitting