PDA

View Full Version : Ixnay, Revisited

Kickdrum
07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
The other day, I listened to Ixnay straight through, for the first time in years.

Let's travel back in time...A historic record breaking album in Smash - punk is mainstream, and The Offspring are a major part of the reason why. Trying to do the right thing, they look to renew a contract with Epitaph, but can't. A major tear in the relationship with Brett Gurewitz, bad blood, the whole bit.

The Offspring go major and sign with Columbia. At the time, it's seen as selling out to the Punk community. They're pissed, Mr. Brett's pissed, but most importantly, The Offspring are pissed. Coming off a highly successful album, the boys release the ultimate "fuck you" to their old label's Commander in Chief.

We start off with "Disclaimer" - a message by Jello Biafra (can you get a bigger punk icon on your side) that is the perfect mix innuendo and sarcasm (heh). Some of the songs themes point to being true to oneself (Meaning of Life, All I Want), while others are a direct shot to Gurewitz (Leave it Behind, Change the World).

First single released? Only the fastest, most punk rock song on the album. Unbelieveable.

"Gone Away" is so heartfelt, with a cool grunge sound...A song that has truly lasted the test of time.

Of course we have "Mota", which is a great combo of comic relief and energy, using the trademark Jason "Blackball" McLean line and Middle-Eastern guitars.

2 different Offspring sounds we are introduced to lay down great grooves. "Me and My Old lady" has a Jane's Addiction tinge to it, outstanding drumming by Ron, and great harmonies. And then there is "I Choose"...What the fuck is this song even about? The lyrics are brilliant, yet almost incomprehensible. The locked down groove is the best they've ever done...Just fucking awesome.

The lowlight to the album is the back-to-back of "Don't Pick It Up" and "Way Down The Line". While the songs are ok, they don't live up to the rest of the album...

"Change The World" uses ideas from the past, and pumps it into a fitting conclusion to the album, save for the great Bud Melman quip at the end...

Just a fantastic album. Just wanted to share why this band will always be special in my heart.

Cock Joke
07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Yea man! This album is among the highlight of their career, methinks. Definitely Offspring at its finest right here! I can never make up my mind of what my favorite Offspring album is, but I think I'm either leaning towards this one or Smash right about now.

But yea. Ixnay is just a great album to listen to all the way through. Great song structures, great arrangement of songs, production kicks ass, great variety, etc. Awesome album!

Ninty Man
07-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Is their best album. Period

JeromeFleur
07-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Great album, indeed. But personnaly, I don't like the drums in it, I think it's one of the weakness of the album. Sure, there are great grooves in it (Me&my old lady, I choose) and some good, but still simple drums arrangements (Gone Away) but overall, I think the drums parts are weaker than the self-titled, Ignition, Smash and Americana. I think the band focused more on the songwriting and the vocals than on the rythmic section. But then again, it's just the drums, hein, nobody cares! (except me :P)

PS : You forgot to mention about Amazed, which is, indeed, an AMAZING song! ;) And the album art is the best they had in their career!

Bipolar Bear
07-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Any offspring fan will agree that Ixnay is a fantastic album.
As well as Smash and Ignition.
That's how we can evaluate that those three albums were the best :cool:

TeddyBear_Army
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM

uh...nope.
Smash is way overrated. Itīs one of their worst albums, IMO. Not enough variety in there.
But, as you said, IXNAY is a fantastic album indeed... Offspring at their finest. RAFRAG is a comeback to that era, at least I consider it this way.

adombomb222
07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Is their best album. Period

Agreed.

And Change The World is only matched by Pay The Man.

Budzy
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
First time i heard Way Down The Line was on Crazy Taxi 4. And i loved it. I don't know why people don't have much interest in it.
But yeah ixnay owns.
especially intermission.

Conspiracyof1000
07-14-2008, 11:38 PM
This kinda has something to do with this...
While I was at work today, I only had my Offspring playlist going. When Don't Pick It Up came on for some reason I just cracked up and dropped all the soda I was carrying to the cooler. I don't know what came over me. At least there were no customers in the store at the time.

I also agree that Smash is not the best album. Ixnay is one of my top three. It represents The Offspring sound to me. It has good diversity, only bested in diversity by RAFRAG.

JeromeFleur
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know what you guys have against Smash, but here`s a tip to appreciate it fully : raise the volume. And then... Raise it again. And if you still don't think it's the best shit you ever heard, it's because it's not loud enough yet.

Conspiracyof1000
07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't have anything against Smash. Alone, it's a great album. As part of the Offspring discography, it was a stepping stone to the real hits.
What am I talking about. Smash is what made them famous.

iPunk247
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
every individual album has its cons and pros so yea like fuck it me rads 'em all

Hombre316
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
im torn because the way i see it, smash had some of the real big hitters of their career and is a great cd, but as a whole piece i think ixnay is better. theres just something about that cd that is special to me. smash can tend to all blend together, but ixnay doesnt. the majority of the time when asked about my favorite offspring cd i usually respond with ixnay... hell its where i get my my online name from.

Bipolar Bear
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
uh...nope.
Smash is way overrated. Itīs one of their worst albums, IMO. Not enough variety in there.
But, as you said, IXNAY is a fantastic album indeed... Offspring at their finest. RAFRAG is a comeback to that era, at least I consider it this way.

I was saying that Smash, Ixnay and Ignition were their best albums, as in top 3. If you consider Smash to be third best it still makes it one of their best albums.
Also, I prefer ignition to ixnay personally.

Bassman18
07-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Ixnay is from far the album that I have listened the most. It's one of their best if not the best. Meaning Of Life is still my favorite Offspring song. I'm sure this album would have been consider as a classic (I think it is) like Smash in the punk community if they have stay with Epitaph record.

GBH2
07-16-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't know what you guys have against Smash, but here`s a tip to appreciate it fully : raise the volume. And then... Raise it again. And if you still don't think it's the best shit you ever heard, it's because it's not loud enough yet.

smash may have some of the biggest hits, but it also has subpar production (but not in a raw punk rock way) and some of the worst filler: so alone, killboy powerhead, something to believe in... also self esteem is horribly overrated
----------
ixnay is definitely the best

Oxygene
07-16-2008, 12:49 AM
smash may have some of the biggest hits, but it also has subpar production (but not in a raw punk rock way) and some of the worst filler: so alone, killboy powerhead, something to believe in... also self esteem is horribly overrated
----------

holy jumpin fucking jesus! something to believe in a filler, and self esteem overrated...
oh boy...

Moose
07-16-2008, 01:27 AM
ya something to believe in is swell...

...id say not the one is one of the most underrated songs on smash, if not the most, and just in general as well.

...ya the production quality was low, but the album is great.

...id rate ignition first, smash second, ixnay third, rfrg fourth...

ixnay is their most creative album...however the back to back of dont pick it up and way down the line do hurt the album a bit...if dont pick it up was earlier, let's say switched with leave it behind...i think it would flow much better...but it's still a great album...

rfrg is sort of the same with the likes of kristy, nothingtown, and fix you slightly hurting that album...

...i thought if they took out nothingtown, and instead followed kristy with let's hear it for rock bottom...then another hard song after stuff is messed up...then fix you, and rise and fall...then a hard track to top it off, the album would come off much better...it seemed to be a song or two away from being great...and maybe taking a track away, specifically nothingtown...into making it work better as a whole...still a strong album though.

findout5
07-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Ixnay's my favourite record...the album of my teenage days!

Out on Patrol
07-16-2008, 11:42 AM

I agree!! Those are the 3 best albums!!

I love Ixnay, it was the first one I bought original, and i've liked it since the first time i pushed play!!!

I'd rate:

Ignition
Smash/Ixnay (don't know which one is better!)

The first 8 songs of Smash (from Nitro to Self Esteem), are awesome!!!
But Ixnay has sth.. i don't know what it is, but it's so special to me....

Stylie
07-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Uhh, WTF man? Are you drunk?

Half-Truist
07-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Ixnay ROCKS..:D

It has some amazing songs like All I Want .. this song was the very first song I heard from the Offspring so it's one of my favorites .. good old crazy taxi times . . it's a great feeling getting into that cab and start hearing "Okay, YA YA YA YA YA" ..

It's my favorite album I can hear it all the way through as many times as I want and I just can't get enough of it .. it's awesome

I'm really glad someone remembered to give this album some credit...Everybody says that Smash is their favorite album and that is the best Offspring album..but I have to disagree..I mean it's great album but Ixnay it's a lot better:p

NEOCON99
07-16-2008, 04:10 PM
I totally agree, Ixnay is my fav offspring album, it got me into punk rock. I remember the first time I listened, I was blown away, I love Noodles guitar sound, and Ron's drumming it's excelent..

h2ocean
07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
----------

Ixnay is their best album. Lots of variety, but good variety. RFRG has a lot of variety, but it the songs that deviate the most don't hit the mark for me (Fix You, Kristy), unlike Me and My Old Lady and Gone Away.

I can't believe I just read someone call So Alone and Something to Believe in filler. Seriously.... ?

Unnatural Disaster
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Just the name of the album may also be a shot at Brett.

Ixnay on the Hombre.

If you don't know what that means...

Ixnay = Nix in pig latin, nix meaning to literally "leave behind" or "stop"

on the = well, they are self explanatory.

Hombre = "man" in Spanish... the man is a slang reference to authority...

In other words, Ixnay on the Hombre means "Stop (or End) Authority"

Ixnay is the best, no doubt about it.

GBH2
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
I can't believe I just read someone call So Alone and Something to Believe in filler. Seriously.... ?

omg did your fucking brain explode?
-------------
they may be decent songs, but they are utterly forgettable.

IamSam
07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
-------------

I agree. I don't have them even marked to play on my computer.

h2ocean
07-16-2008, 07:19 PM
-------------

Wow that was a bit much

Out on Patrol
07-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I agree. I don't have them even marked to play on my computer.

You must be drunk haha :D

Something to Believe in MUST be on your pc!!!

"Where they lead... you will follow"

(now, follow me :p)

IamSam
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
You must be drunk haha :D

Something to Believe in MUST be on your pc!!!

"Where they lead... you will follow"

(now, follow me :p)

No. No it is not a must. Unless you are saying a must not play, then I would agree with you.

Stylie
07-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Just the name of the album may also be a shot at Brett.

Ixnay on the Hombre.

If you don't know what that means...

Ixnay = Nix in pig latin, nix meaning to literally "leave behind" or "stop"

on the = well, they are self explanatory.

Hombre = "man" in Spanish... the man is a slang reference to authority...

In other words, Ixnay on the Hombre means "Stop (or End) Authority"

Ixnay is the best, no doubt about it.

I heard that it also means "Fuck the man"?

Oxygene
07-17-2008, 12:01 AM
-------------

and deeper he sinks...

IamSam
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I heard that it also means "Fuck the man"?

Nix means 'no' or 'to not.' Reminds me of the Lion King (sadly) where the bird says
"Ixnay on the Upidstay"

He was telling Simba 'to not' say stupid.

Therefore 'Ixnay on the Hombre' means something like 'No to the Man.'

Or 'Fuck the Man.'

Budzy
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
ixnay means easy i thought
"easy on the man" i read some one.
or like sum1s lion king (lol) explanation. :D
he meant "easy on the upidstay"

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Well, So alone is pretty fucking lame, and something to believe in, at least at my point of view is filler

IamSam
07-17-2008, 12:19 AM
ixnay means easy i thought
"easy on the man" i read some one.
or like sum1s lion king (lol) explanation. :D
he meant "easy on the upidstay"

It doesn't mean easy. (Not to sound harsh). The meaning of 'ixnay' (nix) is no.

Or:

Ixnay on the Asyeay"

Budzy
07-17-2008, 12:25 AM
ahwell. i tried.
personallyit shoulda been named gringo bandito but w/e.
and holy shit Something to Believe in is no way a filler.
"Where they lead...you will follow, well i guess that's just the waaaaaay it goes"

Budzy
07-17-2008, 12:26 AM
It doesn't mean easy. (Not to sound harsh). The meaning of 'ixnay' (nix) is no.

Or:

Ixnay on the Asyeay"

wait no
i meant the word "Ixnay" means easy
so 'ixnay on the hombre' means "Easy On The Man"

IamSam
07-17-2008, 12:30 AM
wait no
i meant the word "Ixnay" means easy
so 'ixnay on the hombre' means "Easy On The Man"

I know what you meant. Reread my type. Ixnay means "no" not 'easy.'

Budzy
07-17-2008, 12:34 AM
I know what you meant. Reread my type. Ixnay means "no" not 'easy.'

oh good. nah i thought cos u wrote "ixnay on the asyeay" u meant i thought "ixnay on the easy".
well that makes my last 3 post completely worthless.
im just gonna go back into my hole now. :D

Stylie
07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
Omfg, you guys kill me. :eek:

ad8
07-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Hm... I just heard Leave It Behind a few days ago and suddenly I knew how good that song and the whole album are. It's just way too underrated.

Greekoldfan
07-17-2008, 04:12 PM
its a fantastic album.Maybe my favorite.But i dont believe that only the offspring have changed, but also our days..I mean if all i want was the first single on rise and fall album i'm sure that it couldnt have the success that made on 97.

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 04:31 PM
its a fantastic album.Maybe my favorite.But i dont believe that only the offspring have changed, but also our days..I mean if all i want was the first single on rise and fall album i'm sure that it couldnt have the success that made on 97.

MMM... well it wasn't THAT SUCCESFUL. At least... well, I feel sorry for the kinda failura of rafrag

Bipolar Bear
07-17-2008, 11:12 PM
MMM... well it wasn't THAT SUCCESFUL. At least... well, I feel sorry for the kinda failura of rafrag

Don't worry, we can't really call it a failure until all its singles have been released.

iPunk247
07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Omfg, you guys kill me. :eek:

BANG BANG iT HAMMERS iN YA HEAD

Stylie
07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
BANG BANG iT HAMMERS iN YA HEAD

:eek: Yeah, true.

Ninty Man
07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
come on guys... everyone get an extra copy of Ixnay