PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring are officially in Rock Band 2!

Smash_Returns
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
They released an official songlist, and Come Out And Play is on it!

Jojan
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
Learn this: ALLWAYS HAVE SOURCE ON STATEMENTS! Especially if they're officiall.

IamSam
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Lean This: IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOURCE JOJAN WILL SLAP YOU WITH HIS MAN BOOBS!

WebDudette
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
AFI! GIRLSNOTGREY!
Rise Against
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER (RICKY!)
CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON AND ANYWAY YOU WANT IT!

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/07/15/e308-rock-band-2-set-list-song-transfer-under-5/

Alex101
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes! I'm looking forward to the new Rock Band.

Static_Martyr
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Isn't this just the least bit upsetting to anyone?

As a non-guitar-hero player, I can't help but feel just a little sick after hearing that bands like The Offspring and Dead Kennedys are gonna start showing up on these kinds of games. I mean, we're talking about the company that just released a game called "Guitar Hero - Aerosmith." Are these really the kinds of people we want paying special attention to our favorite bands?

Or maybe it's just a matter of taste. I don't know; it's just that every time I think about playing RB or GH, I end up thinking about how I could be playing my real guitar right now, and actually learning something on it.

P.S. I know GH and RB are made by separate companies; but the point is, they're both part of the same massive, corporate re-awakening of the music industry. And I think MTV is even involved at some point....

KrispyNotKrunchy
07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
First of all, I think it is important to remember that GH and RB are games, and saying "I'd rather play a real guitar" makes sense to a certain degree, but is the same as saying "Why play Madden football or FIFA soccer when you can do the real thing"... They are games and serve a different purpose.

Second, AWESOME to The Offspring, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, but actually I think I'm looking forward to Rise Against's "Give It All" most...

Ryder1234
07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33774

i might buy it for this.

Static_Martyr
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
First of all, I think it is important to remember that GH and RB are games, and saying "I'd rather play a real guitar" makes sense to a certain degree, but is the same as saying "Why play Madden football or FIFA soccer when you can do the real thing"... They are games and serve a different purpose.

I wasn't trying to be a douche, in spite of how that sounded. I respect the decisions of others to choose to play it or not; I just meant that I, as a real guitar player, do not find interest in playing it myself, probably because I have a real guitar. I don't mean that as a statement of superiority, or anything; it's just like, if I was a chef, I would probably rather actually cook than play a game about cooking. Ya know?

That, and I need all the practice on guitar I can get. It's hard enough to find time as it is; if I were playing guitar hero too, that would be that much less time for practice. And since I'm trying to get my band up and going, it wouldn't really be anything but counterproductive for me at the moment.

But back to my original point....playing guitar hero is more about imitating the "look" and "feel" of playing guitar than the actual playing of the instrument. As such, I'm not really a fan---I've never liked that aspect of rock and roll, and part of the reason I got into punk in the first place was because I noticed punk guitar players don't try to exaggerate the motions of playing (except maybe Green Day....but for a better example, watch Noodles play; it's totally different from watching someone like Ace Frehley or James Hetfield play). And to see a punk band---who tends to not care so much about their physical image---with a song in a game that is basically all about the image, is a little discouraging to me. I've always believed that guitar hero was more for caricature bands that nobody takes seriously anymore, like Metallica and Aerosmith. Then I see Rancid on there, and I'm like, "What the hell?" And now the Offspring?

Meh. Maybe I just need some weed or something.

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 01:42 AM

Second, AWESOME to The Offspring, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, System of a Down, but actually I think I'm looking forward to Rise Against's "Give It All" most...

Yes, and you can also be an italian plumber jumping to the galaxy, or been a real soldier instead of playing COD4

I see INFINITE lameness in Rock Band and guitar hero. I played rock band, and men... I didn't enjoy the drum shit, specially when I see that it costs 300 bucks, no thanx, I prefer buying and electric drumset to practice

Budzy
07-17-2008, 01:47 AM
is there any offspring songs on any of the Guitar Heroes?

Little_Miss_1565
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
But back to my original point....playing guitar hero is more about imitating the "look" and "feel" of playing guitar than the actual playing of the instrument. As such, I'm not really a fan---I've never liked that aspect of rock and roll, and part of the reason I got into punk in the first place was because I noticed punk guitar players don't try to exaggerate the motions of playing (except maybe Green Day....but for a better example, watch Noodles play; it's totally different from watching someone like Ace Frehley or James Hetfield play). And to see a punk band---who tends to not care so much about their physical image---with a song in a game that is basically all about the image, is a little discouraging to me. I've always believed that guitar hero was more for caricature bands that nobody takes seriously anymore, like Metallica and Aerosmith. Then I see Rancid on there, and I'm like, "What the hell?" And now the Offspring?

I can't play Guitar Hero to save my fucking life. I think it has something to do with how I play real guitar and bass and I try to play along with what I'm hearing and not with the modified Dance Dance Revolution button pressing.

BUT.

You need to get toasted, rip a few bong hits, and play Rock Band with your friends for a night. It is SO MUCH FUN. I've been in real bands, I've gone on real tours, and I've been stranded on real roadsides when our van or trailer lost a tire or wheel or something else dire. The reason these games are popular is because they're fun. Don't hate on fun by overthinking it.

And seriously, caricature bands? No one takes Metallica seriously? They're a much different band than they ever were, and I've been a fan of theirs for a very long time, but I have never had more respect for them. I'm in the middle of reading Heavy Metal Islam and I'm starting to feel like Metallica might be one of the most important bands in the world.

Out on Patrol
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM

I wasn't trying to be a douche, in spite of how that sounded. I respect the decisions of others to choose to play it or not; I just meant that I, as a real guitar player, do not find interest in playing it myself, probably because I have a real guitar. I don't mean that as a statement of superiority, or anything; it's just like, if I was a chef, I would probably rather actually cook than play a game about cooking. Ya know?

That, and I need all the practice on guitar I can get. It's hard enough to find time as it is; if I were playing guitar hero too, that would be that much less time for practice. And since I'm trying to get my band up and going, it wouldn't really be anything but counterproductive for me at the moment.

Meh. Maybe I just need some weed or something.

You may not take them seriously.
So...
we shouldn't take seriously Aerosmith, Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Jethro Tull, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, etc.

I can see you know a LOT about music. 0_o

Static_Martyr
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Whoa, I didn't mean anything personal by that. In the places I go and in my internet hangouts, it's just common perception that Metallica and Aerosmith are kind of generic "Rock God" bands, sort of like Zeppelin and Van Halen---it's not to say they're "good" or "bad," so much as they receive so much attention from the mainstream music scene that they come across as INTENSELY overrated. When a conversation about one of those bands starts, you start hearing comments such as the "most important band in the world" comment made here; you don't tend to hear such comments about lesser-known bands, or bands that aren't as overrated. I've listened to all four of them (Metallica, Aerosmith, Van Halen, and Zeppelin), and the impression I got was pretty much that they're alright, but nothing really special. People go on about them because they like them, and so they think of them as uber-important. I respect that they do what they do, but I still think they're overrated.

For the record, though, I don't believe there is one "greatest" or "most important" band in the world. Hence my use of the term "overrated."

jacknife737
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Cool. Holy shit, is that a Bosstones song I see!?!?!

This game has an awsome tracklisting.

Ryder1234
07-17-2008, 11:49 PM
you guys wanna hear a story?

one time, a kid broke into my friends house (well not really - he used to be his housemate so he still had a key). my friend comes home to find the kid in his room playing guitar hero 3. he said "what the fuck are you doing in my house!?", and the kid said "oh i had to play guitar hero, it really helps my guitar playing skills totally".

so the reason he broke in was to play Guitar Hero and "make him better at guitar". Lesson #1: guitar hero doesnt help real skills in any way
Lesson #2: breaking into houses is against the law.

Conspiracyof1000
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
What a loser.

Ryder1234
07-17-2008, 11:54 PM
he is though, he has a unibrow

Budzy
07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
he has a unibrow
that explains everything.

iPunk247
07-18-2008, 01:08 AM