PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Chains and their new album:

Omni
07-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Alice in Chains are back together and they should release an album sometime late this year, I believe. Take a look at this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tSIkYHq6N-c

That's AiC playing "Again" with new vocalist, William DuVall. Reading the comments, it sounds like 80% of AiC fans are rallying together to speak out against him and crusade their support for Layne.

Well, Layne Staley is dead. And he's not coming back. I don't understand why everyone hates this guy so much. He sounds fucking great. I know, no one can replace Layne Staley. I mean, just about every magazine or online poll has him consistently rated within the top five vocalists ever, but this new guy is pretty damn good. I don't know, it's always irritated me when someone refuses to give something different a chance just because they're unaccustomed to change, and AiC is probably only going to suffer from it. They're acting like DuVall is their new stepdad or something. Do you guys think they're being a little too harsh on what seems to be an excellent vocalist? I bet if DuVall were the original vocalist, and they replaced him with Staley, the results would also be similar.

StefanDBH
07-16-2008, 07:01 PM
AIC was great band,yeah I say "was",but this now is everything only for money(like sex pistols)...
Layne Staley was good man;)

bighead384
07-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I hate it when bands change their vocalist after they're already well into their career. The thing is, even though it's true that the other members are part of the sound, when it comes to rock music, the vocalist is really the one who gives the band an identity of it's own. The vocalist is almost always responsible for the lyrics and vocal melody, and obviously the voice itself. That's why it's usually pretty stupid to try and pull something like this, especially when it comes to bands who had a very distinctive frontman.

Omni
07-16-2008, 08:06 PM
It's not like he left the band and they did it just to keep capitalizing. Layne Staley died, and they haven't made an album in thirteen years. I think this is more about Jerry Cantrell not wanting his dream to die than it is about the money. If it were about money, he'd have done this less than a decade and a half ago, when they were still in their prime. AC/DC did it like the very year Bon Scott died, and they had already released seven albums with him. And I don't hear anyone critisizing Brian Johnson anymore.

Alex101
11-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I just watched this video on Myspace (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45602204) about Alice in Chains being in the studio, and at the end of the video it says the new record's coming out in the summer of 2009. I actually can't wait to hear what the new Alice in Chains without Layne will sound like.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm not too excited for it, considering Layne Staley's voice was the only thing that ever made their sound really distinct in the first place.

Smash_Returns
11-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Actually, at firat I was skeptical, but, now that I listen, it might be good. He sounds enough like Layne that they could studio edit it to where the casual AiC listener wouldn't notice. Also, while Layne did a lot of writing, so did Cantrell, and Cantrell is still with them, and doing backup vocals. And I think it was more of the Staley-Cantrell duo that gave them the distinct vocal sound.

Basically, if they can still write, I think it'll definately be worth checking out.

And I'm a pretty hardcore AiC fan. He's really not bad. At least he can hit the highs.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I mean, no one gave a fuck when AC/DC got a new singer. And Faith No More dramatically improved when they got a new singer. But I just can't imagine Alice in Chains with another singer for the life of me, UNLESS, possibly, Cantrell took over on lead vocals, since he did kind of a dual lead with Layne in a lot of their songs like "No Excuses."

I've never been a huge fan of Alice in Chains, but Jar of Flies is one of the most amazing masterpieces I've ever heard. So anything that isn't that, and I'm basically uninterested, Layne or no Layne.

Alex101
11-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I mean, no one gave a fuck when AC/DC got a new singer. And Faith No More dramatically improved when they got a new singer. But I just can't imagine Alice in Chains with another singer for the life of me, UNLESS, possibly, Cantrell took over on lead vocals, since he did kind of a dual lead with Layne in a lot of their songs like "No Excuses."

I've never been a huge fan of Alice in Chains, but Jar of Flies is one of the most amazing masterpieces I've ever heard. So anything that isn't that, and I'm basically uninterested, Layne or no Layne.

Just because Alice in Chains are back together again without Layne doesn't mean there should be bad feelings or something about it. If Nirvana were to reunite, you wouldn't imagine the band with a replacement for Kurt Cobain?

XYlophonetreeZ
11-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Just because Alice in Chains are back together again without Layne doesn't mean there should be bad feelings or something about it. If Nirvana were to reunite, you wouldn't imagine the band with a replacement for Kurt Cobain?
They can do whatever they want. I'm not angry about it or anything, I'm just personally not gonna go out and buy their new stuff.

Alex101
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
They can do whatever they want. I'm not angry about it or anything, I'm just personally not gonna go out and buy their new stuff.
I understand...

Alex101
06-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Good news for Alice in Chains fans! The band has signed to Virgin Records and their new album is finally coming out in September! Read more about this here (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/press_releases/alice_in_chains_sign_with_emi.html).

Smash_Returns
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
That is good news. I look forward to seeing what Alice brings this time around.

findout5
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Definately...although I don't really like the producer!

Alex101
06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Definately...although I don't really like the producer!
Who? Nick Raskulinecz? Why don't you like him?

Omni
06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
New Pearl Jam album in September, also. Two actual grunge bands releasing an album the same month of the same year. Whens the last time this happened.

Quagmire
06-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Who? Nick Raskulinecz? Why don't you like him?

One By One and In Your Honor.

Alex101
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
One By One and In Your Honor.
Actually I was asking findout5, not you.

findout5
06-09-2009, 05:07 AM
I actually I was asking findout5, not you.

His production is excessively raw and awfull on headphones. Other than that I like a few records/bands he's produced.

Alex101
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
His production is excessively raw and awfull on headphones. Other than that I like a few records/bands he's produced.
I like a few records/bands he produced and I'm impressed with his work too, but I don't have any issues about him.

Smash_Returns
06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
I like One By One; In Your Honor could've been better, but it wasn't bad.

Also, I like the producer. Good for grunge.

Also, I hadn't thought about that, with Pearl Jam and AiC both releasing albums the same month. But hey, it's time for a Grunge Revival.

Omni
06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Creed's new album also has an August/September release date. I know they're not real grunge, but Stapp is basically a less talented Eddie Vedder, so why not? Too bad STP's album has been pushed back to '10.

Though I probably shouldn't, I'm half-expecting Soundgarden to get back together, too.

EDIT: In December, Gavin Rossdale said Bush would be back this year, even though their guitarist says probably not.

Smash_Returns
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Creed's new album also has an August/September release date. I know they're not real grunge, but Stapp is basically a less talented Eddie Vedder, so why not? Too bad STP's album has been pushed back to '10.

Though I probably shouldn't, I'm half-expecting Soundgarden to get back together, too.

EDIT: In December, Gavin Rossdale said Bush would be back this year, even though their guitarist says probably not.

I never really liked Stapp, but a new Creed album would be cool. Yeah it sucks with STP pushing back the release. I highly doubt Soundgarden will, particularly with Chris Cornell's musical styles changing as they have been. A new Bush album would be cool as well, but I doubt they could make another Sixteen Stone.

Omni
06-09-2009, 10:47 PM
His musical style changes all the time. The first three and last two Soundgarden albums don't even sound like the same band. His first solo album sounded different entirely, Audioslave was a lot different, and his last two solo record have sounded different from each other.

Smash_Returns
06-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, but now it's not even grunge anymore.

Rooster
06-10-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm only getting into Alice In Chains, but i'm looking forward to this. Dirt was great, and i doubt they could repeat that, but i'll approach this new effort with an open mind.

I'm not so fond of Pearl Jam though. Or at least i wasn't until today - i just bought their re-released version of Ten, which contains 2 CDs: one is the original version, and the other CD is the re-mixed version (by Brendan O'Brien), which contains some previously unreleased tracks (demos, outtakes). It's a nice adition, but i like the sound in the original version much better.

Anyway, i just hope we'll see more actual grunge releases in the future. And i also hope Soundgarden would reform...

Alex101
06-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but now it's not even grunge anymore.
People have been telling me that the "old" grunge has been dead since the mid-90s, examples:

- Soundgaren broke up
- Nirvana broke up after Kurt Cobain died
- Alice in Chains didn't do anything (tour or make more records) after their MTV Unplugged performance in 1996 because their lead singer Layne Staley kept fighting with drugs, and the band didn't even break up until he died in 2002
- Screaming Trees broke up, but that was in the year 2000
- Pearl Jam had lost popularity for some time (I believe it was after Vitalogy or No Code)
- Mad Season (the supergroup that featured Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees members) never did anything after the 1995 release of their gold record "Above"

Smash_Returns
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Alice In Chains never broke up, even after Layne died, they just went of an indefinite hiatus.

Pearl Jam lost some popularity after No Code (Vitalogy was huge, with Better Man, Corduroy, Spin The Black Circle, etc...). However, they've stepped back into popularity with their self-titled album.

When I said it's not even grunge anymore, I only meant Chris Cornell's music style. Grunge never really "died", even with Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley both dying. It just went underground (with the exception of Pearl Jam)

Alex101
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
To Alice in Chains fans, don't forget to mark your calendars! Because the new album is really happening! The album will be called Black Gives Way to Blue and it's coming out September 29th!

Rooster
06-12-2009, 05:15 AM
This seems to be a short bit of one of their new songs (i hope it's legit):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3UNmOKduMQ

It seems awesome, i hope this would renew the popularity of grunge (at least to some degree, music would be much better in the mainstream then).

It's around 20 years since grunge was "created" and gain popularity. It's about fucking time it returns...

edit: another link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03wem4-uTKE

Smash_Returns
06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
That sounds like it may be legit. I hope it was, cause that was pretty awesome.

So glad this this is actually happening.

Rooster
06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
That sounds like it may be legit. I hope it was, cause that was pretty awesome.

So glad this this is actually happening.

It IS legit, i found out later a video of them in the studio, and that short clip was played. So hell yes!!!

I'm more and more into grunge (i've been a longtime Nirvana fan, but somehow never got into other grunge bands as much untill recently, last two or three years or so). I love the sound, the "dirty" sound. I wish more records were produced in the way they were in the '90s. The dirtier, the better.

Omni
06-14-2009, 02:36 AM
New album is apparently called "Black Gives Way to Blue," release date is September 29.

I can understand why people are being angry. Layne Staley had a voice that could cut glass, easily one of the top five rock vocalists in history. When you focus on that perspective, it seems you really have no where to go but down. But this new guy is extremely good, and I think people forget just how much of AiC's music Jerry Cantrell was responsible for.

He wrote 6 of the 12 songs from Facelift, and got partialcredit on the other 6. He wrote 6 of 13 on Dirt, and got partial credit for 5 more. He only wrote one of the 14 on self-titled, but he received partial credit on every other song except one. And if you want to count Jar of Flies, since it's 7 songs, he wrote 3 of those and got partial credit on the rest. Cantrell is the driving force, which is why I believe this album will be really good, even without Staley's imput. I honestly think most of the critisizers will either buy or download this album regardless, if it's good.

Smash_Returns
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I've always said Cantrell was the true driving force in AiC.

Anyways, the album will be a buy-on-release for me

Viemods
06-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Anybody heard it or know what the tour dates are? I heard one track and it was okay, but Im hoping the rest will be accessible soon.

If youve heard the new album or have some tour info put it up

Omni
06-21-2009, 01:51 PM
You heard one of the new songs? Where was it?

Alex101
06-21-2009, 02:58 PM
You heard one of the new songs? Where was it?

They haven't announced the track listing or a single yet.

Rooster
06-23-2009, 02:51 AM
New single "A Looking In View" coming on 30th june!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczOhM7fg80

Alex101
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
New single "A Looking In View" coming on 30th june!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczOhM7fg80

According to Blabbermouth.net (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=122629), "Check My Brain" will actually be the new single and will be played on the radio sometime in August.

Omni
06-26-2009, 06:40 PM
The album will be almost out in mid-August. We know for sure A Looking in View is going to be released in three days.

On another grunge note, Pearl Jam's single from Backspacer will be released July 21 (my birthday), and it's called "The Fixer."

Alex101
06-28-2009, 09:37 AM
The album will be almost out in mid-August. We know for sure A Looking in View is going to be released in three days.

On another grunge note, Pearl Jam's single from Backspacer will be released July 21 (my birthday), and it's called "The Fixer."
Now, we have 2 more days until we get to hear the new Alice in Chains song.

Rooster
06-28-2009, 10:39 AM
According to Blabbermouth.net (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=122629), "Check My Brain" will actually be the new single and will be played on the radio sometime in August.

Yeah, seen that today. But A Looking In View video is coming up in 2 days. When i first saw that i thought it's going to be the first single

Omni
06-28-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm quite sure A Looking in View will get massive radioplay regardless. It's funny how the band is so critically acclaimed, yet they only have one #1 single. Yet, these days, older bands seem to chart better and sell less. In three albums, and two eps, only one #1 single, but I bet every album from here on will have one per album.

Alex101
06-28-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm quite sure A Looking in View will get massive radioplay regardless. It's funny how the band is so critically acclaimed, yet they only have one #1 single. Yet, these days, older bands seem to chart better and sell less. In three albums, and two eps, only one #1 single, but I bet every album from here on will have one per album.
They also had two number 1 releases, the self-titled album and the Jar of Flies EP.

Omni
06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBEXTuUca0

Oh, yeah.

Alex101
06-30-2009, 05:26 PM
I just downloaded the new song "A Looking in View" on aliceinchains.com and listened to it. That song reminds me of the Guns N' Roses song "Chinese Democracy" or maybe any other song off that record.

Omni
06-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Eh. Is that bad? I've never heard that record.

Smash_Returns
06-30-2009, 09:24 PM
The new song is VERY good. Sounds like classic AiC, like the heavier stuff from Dirt.