PDA

View Full Version : THE HAPPENING - Just an INSANE event

sipptaroowsky
07-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry for what I'm about to write, I just I JUST HAVE TO WRITE THIS for someone to read it. Please I hope you understand. For fuck sake, this is horrible, I feel like dieing, I hate it I hate it I hate it, horrible movie, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, somebody kill me please. How can I live knowing that such a bullshit movie exists, God dammit, for fuck sake this is horrible. HORRIBLE.Hffffff, so here's what happened, dammit, just horrible movie. It's not a horror, it's not a comedy it's just plain simple bullshit. I just saw the worst movie EVEEEEEEER. I have never seen a worse movie, oh my God, I don't know what to do this movie is so awful I don't think I can look at life the same way again, what a crap of movie.

Ok let me get my self together. I just saw the worst movie ever, as I said earlier. I saw one of those big paper things in my theatre, you know, it has a name of the movie, and the cast, and I thought, hey if it's in the theater for 6 dollars then it must be ok...I will never forgive my self. I just watched a movie I found on my network places. The movie is called THE HAPPENING. Please, if you are a sane person and you haven't seen this movie, please don't go and see it, it is the worst movie EVEEEEER. And to tell you the truth I've seen some horrible movies like: 300, Top Gun, She's all that, Not another teen movie, the covenant, superman returns, War, the one with Julia robers and her one million wedding in which she runs away, dogma, kill bill 1 AND 2, blagajnice hoće iči na more, clockwork orange, ...I mean I've seen all the bullshit in this world and this, THIS is just horrible. How can I live knowing that such a bullshit exists...omg I'm crying, dammit I can't make it stop, so sad, sad sad sad.. Ahhhhhh...Ok I got a hold of my self. This movie is horrible, it's an insult to humanity,.

So the movie is about some thing going on, plants realize that people are killing the earth and they eject this bullshit toxic crap that makes everyone dumber than they actually are and they all commit suicide. THE ACTING IS SO HORRIBLE. Starring Mikey Mike and Zooey Deschanel. Oh how I want to hurt that woman, she sucks so much at acting, and those sick idiotic drugged up eyes, this is a crime, this is an insult to man kind, this movie shouldn't exist, it's pathetic, horrible movie, oh God help me. That woman should be locked up, bloody idiot, AAAAA, why did I watch the movie to the END, why why why...I'm losing it, oh sweet Jesus, how could they do this, are they insane.Oh and that speechless idiotic child. .....
How will I survive this? PLEASE DON't WATCH THE MOVIE. It's a crime, please don't do it, I'm begging you, it's horrible, the movie...it's not scary, it's not funny, it has absolutely no meaning...

I don't know I just don't know how I will survive this tragedy, why did I watch it to the end. Such a stupid movie. Thank God I have a memory problem, I'll forget most of the movie. It sucks, who is the director, dammit, horrible acting, no meaning no where, no emotions, just doesn't make sense, stupid stupid stupid.. I need a drink. Or something to make this horrible memory go away, bad people, how could they make this bad bad movie. I don't know, I just don't know how I'm going to get over this. I hope you forgive me for writing this, I thought if I express it I will have an easier time dealing with it.

Ryder1234
07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
hey guys, i just heard of this movie called The Happening, does anyone want to go see it with me?

0r4ng3
07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Not right now, I'm watching the Sixth Sense right now. Apparently there's some kind of twist at the end.

sipptaroowsky
07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
hey guys, i just heard of this movie called The Happening, does anyone want to go see it with me?

It is not a joking matter mate, it's not funny, it's not really, don't go and see it. Once you've seen it, you wont be the same.

Ryder1234
07-16-2008, 09:48 PM
i know, i could tell from the ads on tv

sipptaroowsky
07-16-2008, 09:50 PM
i know, i could tell from the ads on tv

Just horrible acting, turned my world inside out, I think I'm going to write them a letter

sipptaroowsky
07-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I just found out I'm not the only one, there's a hate club. This director is a sick man.

Thomas
07-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I stopped reading when you said you didn't like Dogma.

0r4ng3
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
He didn't like Dogma? I was too distracted when he said he didn't like 300 or either Kill Bill movie. Despite that, I still agree about The Happening.

jacknife737
07-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Didn't like Dogma?!?! Oh, you best be joking.

IamSam
07-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Didn't like Dogma?!?! Oh, you best be joking.

WHAT? How can you hate that movie AND 300? Jesus Christ on a strudel.

Thomas
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
The Kill Bill movies were ridiculously well made, too.

I haven't seen 300 yet... :(:(:(

Bipolar Bear
07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm
So the movie is about some thing going on, plants realize that people are killing the earth and they eject this bullshit toxic crap that makes everyone dumber than they actually are and they all commit suicide. THE ACTING IS SO HORRIBLE. Starring Mikey Mike and Zooey Deschanel. Oh how I want to hurt that woman, she sucks so much at acting, and those sick idiotic drugged up eyes, this is a crime, this is an insult to man kind, this movie shouldn't exist, it's pathetic, horrible movie, oh God help me. That woman should be locked up, bloody idiot, AAAAA, why did I watch the movie to the END, why why why...I'm losing it, oh sweet Jesus, how could they do this, are they insane.Oh and that speechless idiotic child. .....

Wow, I haven't seen that movie but the story is completely retarded.
0/10

IamSam
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
The Kill Bill movies were ridiculously well made, too.

I haven't seen 300 yet... :(:(:(

Sad. Very sad. If you lived slightly closer to me I'd let you borrow it.

Ryder1234
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Zooey Deschanel. Oh how I want to hurt that woman, she sucks so much at acting, and those sick idiotic drugged up eyes

lol she was in the She's Got Issues video :rolleyes:

Cock Joke
07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9950

Ryder1234
07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9950

quoted for truth.

Jakebert
07-17-2008, 12:03 AM
More like The Crappening, amirite?

Also, I hate to agree with him, but 300 is pretty damn overrated.

Apathy
07-17-2008, 12:24 AM
I hated the movie too. But I didn't have to sit through the whole thing anyway.

Regardless, threadstarters dumb in my books. Lots of the "crappy" movies he listed off are cultclassics/extremelypopular. Also Zooey Deschanel is my favorite fucking actress ever.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/368732852_9c5441ebee.jpg

0r4ng3
07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
More like The Crappening, amirite?

Also, I hate to agree with him, but 300 is pretty damn overrated.
Yes, I know that 300 is overrated (let's be honest, what isn't nowadays?), but that doesn't make it an exceptionally bad movie.

Jakebert
07-17-2008, 12:30 AM
It's not horribly bad or anything, but so many people trump it up as being this amazing movie that they forget that the dialouge sucked, the narrator was annoying and pointless, and that any plot outside of the battles was retarded.

Thomas
07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I've never been a huge fan of her, but Zooey Deschanel is an extremely talented actress and singer.

sipptaroowsky
07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
300 naked men for 90 minutes or so....think about it

Thomas
07-17-2008, 12:42 AM
What was bad about Dogma, then?

Jakebert
07-17-2008, 12:43 AM
I think about it. Constantly.

Apathy
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
I've never been a huge fan of her, but Zooey Deschanel is an extremely talented actress and singer.

I had to.

http://www.fedge.net/~zdeschanel/images/mags/elle5.jpg

Sorry for all this. But I'm basically a step below a stalker.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/2942/2942.jpg

Jakebert
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
That's understandable. I'm the same way with Olivia Munn.

IamSam
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
It's not horribly bad or anything, but so many people trump it up as being this amazing movie that they forget that the dialouge sucked, the narrator was annoying and pointless, and that any plot outside of the battles was retarded.

Not to argue, but I am. Narrator pointless? He's only telling the story and tying the end in with the rest of the movie. The entire movie is from his point of view and how he remembered it and is telling it at the Battle of Plataea. The plot is straight from the Frank Miller graphic novel which in turn is almost taken straight from the actual history of the battle (minus the obvious artistic license). And please, educate me on how the dialogue sucked.

Apathy
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
That's understandable. I'm the same way with Olivia Munn.
To be quite honest I have no idea who she is.

http://www.fedge.net/~zdeschanel/images/mags/elle3.jpg
http://www.fedge.net/~zdeschanel/images/mags/om1.jpg

I'm trying to stop including these in every post I make, but I can't seem to.

Endymion
07-17-2008, 01:24 AM
hey, i don't like dogma, 300, kill bill, anything by m night, etc. but zooey... i do like her. anyone seen eulogy? she's damned fine in that.

Jakebert
07-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Not to argue, but I am. Narrator pointless? He's only telling the story and tying the end in with the rest of the movie. The entire movie is from his point of view and how he remembered it and is telling it at the Battle of Plataea. The plot is straight from the Frank Miller graphic novel which in turn is almost taken straight from the actual history of the battle (minus the obvious artistic license). And please, educate me on how the dialogue sucked.

I understand that the narrator was the one telling the story, but they used him too much. I don't care if he was part of the comic book, a movie doesn't need someone to say "SO-AND-SO IS SAD" while the character on screen is visibly upset.

The dialouge and writing was crappy. Despite how many people loved cheesy lines like "TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!" it's still just as dumb as any action movie line ever, and 90% of the dialouge in the whole movie is on par with that. Everything in the movie is some lame attempt at being dramatic.

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Nah, the only thing sucked was the wife dialogue.

The Happening... it starts PRETTY DAMN GOOD... and then it becomes a big fat pile of shit.

Damn, and I like the village XD

Uh, Zooey Deschannel. I don't know why, but I find her extremely attractive

ad8
07-17-2008, 03:45 AM
This thread is probably the best advertisement that "The Happening" could get...
...and btw, Dogma was great!

nieh
07-17-2008, 05:43 AM
I think everything M. Night has made has been worse than what was before it. Sixth Sense was good, but overrated, Unbreakable was a little less good but still interesting, the first half of Signs was pretty decent before devolving into a crapfest, the Village sucked outright and I didn't even bother seeing his last two after even most of his fans gave shit reviews for them.

F@ BANKZ
07-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Really, nobody?

tl;dr

EMehl6
07-17-2008, 08:22 AM
I agree. This movie sucked. Hard.

IamSam
07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I understand that the narrator was the one telling the story, but they used him too much. I don't care if he was part of the comic book, a movie doesn't need someone to say "SO-AND-SO IS SAD" while the character on screen is visibly upset.

The dialouge and writing was crappy. Despite how many people loved cheesy lines like "TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!" it's still just as dumb as any action movie line ever, and 90% of the dialouge in the whole movie is on par with that. Everything in the movie is some lame attempt at being dramatic.

Well...too bad. Many of those phrases that you say are crappy dialogue are straight from Spartans of that era. They're called Laconic phrases. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laconic) Pity you didn't like this movie because you thought true things sucked worse than dialogue made up by some Hollywood writer.

sipptaroowsky
07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
I try to have the least conversation as possible with someone who likes 300, Kill Bill, Dogma...or even this monstrosity, but I'd like to express my opinion on this one and I hope you read it.

Well let me start with Kill Bill. The movie is among the stupidest things I've ever seen. A 55kg (or something like that) woman, with a knife is killing hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people, to get revenge on some guy. I don't know where she gets the energy to do all this, the woman is not physically strong enough to do all this things....I know it's a movie, and I like realistic movies, and this is crap.

Dogma...oh my, how can you like this? The 13th apostil...black. first of all, the apostils were not that much different form black people, so the black issue is just trendy. Jay and silent bob? The God is a woman thing....hahaha, if God does exist I really don't think that the holy one is restricted by sexes. Also a trendy thing.

300. First of all it's just entertainment, but you can't just let your self go to anything the director throws at you, you've got to have standard. Even if you're not in to all that realism as I am you still probably find some idiotic. The Spartans throw away every child that's not perfect....lovely people. They could have invested their time in medical research, and genetic engineering instead of fighting and maybe that way become a great nation. Do you really think every child that went through 20 years of training, child abusement, would have no psychical damage, would be just a nice beautiful man with great morale? In the beginning of the movie, an emissary comes with heads of conquered nations. One is a roman skull, a Caesars....TIMELINE. They came from the east, And they first went to Rome and then Greece....GEOGRAPHY. They just happen to conveniently be talking next to the pit of death....how convenient. THIS IS SPARTA...I almost died of laughter, the guy probably spit all offer the actors. So the warriors gather around. All life time warriors, WITHOUT A SINGLE SCAR ON THEM. ...Spartans what is your profession:HAU?....I think the Greeks that met them were freed out. So here we have 300 pretty young men, with a spear and a shield, NAKED. The thousands and thousands of arrows coming at them and not a single one hits them, oh for fuck sake. The king that attacked the Spartans was a king who conquered dozens of worlds, a war veteran. How do you think they captured shielded cities in those days. Siege weaponry, thins like catapults, not exactly catapults but thing that threw rocks at the enemy walls. What protection would the naked men have against falling rocks from the sky. In those days elephants were very popular and strong war animals....get my drift? How could they protect them selves from elephants? And how could 300 men kill 10000 people. If you'd equip 300 people with AK-47's, give them 60 bullets each and send them to fight at that time against shields and swords, they could maximally kill 18000 people, but probably kill something like 4000...Now the man from the east has, cavalry, archery, fabulous infantry...and still can't win. The Spartans killed a lot of men there, built a wall out of them, since they've done much with dead bodiesí...Ever heard of the plague.? That senator carried Illegal gold IN THE SENATE. Oh for fuck sake. And you're telling me this bad ass KING is asking his wife for improvement to kill the emissary...I'm guessing she's the one wearing trousers in this story, since he's naked all the time. And they say star wars are science fiction.

So my point is, please don't watch TE HAPPENING since the movie sucks, it's horrible, and the acting is kindergarten class.

So this is a great advertisement for the movie??? Anybody can watch it, but I hope no one pays for doing it, if you want shit, watch the movie, worst one I've ever seen.

ad8
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
It sucks, who is the director, dammit
Uwe Boll?:D

Dogma...oh my, how can you like this? The 13th apostil...black. first of all, the apostils were not that much different form black people, so the black issue is just trendy. Jay and silent bob? The God is a woman thing....hahaha, if God does exist I really don't think that the holy one is restricted by sexes. Also a trendy thing.

Erm... are you serious? I understand that you like realistic movies, but Dogma is meant to be unrealistic. The whole movie is meant to be crazy.

IamSam
07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
300. First of all it's just entertainment, but you can't just let your self go to anything the director throws at you, you've got to have standard. Even if you're not in to all that realism as I am you still probably find some idiotic. The Spartans throw away every child that's not perfect....lovely people. They could have invested their time in medical research, and genetic engineering instead of fighting and maybe that way become a great nation. Do you really think every child that went through 20 years of training, child abusement, would have no psychical damage, would be just a nice beautiful man with great morale? In the beginning of the movie, an emissary comes with heads of conquered nations. One is a roman skull, a Caesars....TIMELINE. They came from the east, And they first went to Rome and then Greece....GEOGRAPHY. They just happen to conveniently be talking next to the pit of death....how convenient. THIS IS SPARTA...I almost died of laughter, the guy probably spit all offer the actors. So the warriors gather around. All life time warriors, WITHOUT A SINGLE SCAR ON THEM. ...Spartans what is your profession:HAU?....I think the Greeks that met them were freed out. So here we have 300 pretty young men, with a spear and a shield, NAKED. The thousands and thousands of arrows coming at them and not a single one hits them, oh for fuck sake. The king that attacked the Spartans was a king who conquered dozens of worlds, a war veteran. How do you think they captured shielded cities in those days. Siege weaponry, thins like catapults, not exactly catapults but thing that threw rocks at the enemy walls. What protection would the naked men have against falling rocks from the sky. In those days elephants were very popular and strong war animals....get my drift? How could they protect them selves from elephants? And how could 300 men kill 10000 people. If you'd equip 300 people with AK-47's, give them 60 bullets each and send them to fight at that time against shields and swords, they could maximally kill 18000 people, but probably kill something like 4000...Now the man from the east has, cavalry, archery, fabulous infantry...and still can't win. The Spartans killed a lot of men there, built a wall out of them, since they've done much with dead bodiesí...Ever heard of the plague.? That senator carried Illegal gold IN THE SENATE. Oh for fuck sake. And you're telling me this bad ass KING is asking his wife for improvement to kill the emissary...I'm guessing she's the one wearing trousers in this story, since he's naked all the time. And they say star wars are science fiction.

By the beard of Zeus I wish I could strike you down with a lightning bolt.

I will come back to this entire block of text in a little while when I am prepared. I have studied the whole happenings of the battle of the Hot Gates (ask jacknife737) and know what is true and what is not about the battle shown in 300. And I have to say that your rant is nothing more than a childish bellyache. I'll return when I have more time to deal with this.

jacknife737
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM

It's a movie with a giant shit-monster in it, I doubt Kevin Smith was going for biblical accuracy when writing the script.

cool 2 hate 681
07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
dogma was good but it would have been better if dante and randal were in it

IamSam
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
As promised, I'm back to dissect your post.

First, I want to say you should read Thermopylae: The Battle for the West by Ernle Bradford if you want to learn everything about this battle. It is a very well written book that details every aspect of the battle, cultures, and ways the battle would have been fought. I will now detail some points:

1. Viewpoint: 300 is told as through the eyes of the Greeks at that time and that viewpoint is based on the writings of Herodotus. The Greeks viewed Xerxes and his hoard as a godless scourge from the east coming to take away their lands. It was the first time the Greek city states stood together against a common enemy. Because of this, numbers are inflated, enemy forces exaggerated (rhinos/elephants/crazy looking giants), and the Spartans take a super human role. This super human role was important in order for the rest of Greece to rally and form a solid backbone against Xerxes.

2. Battle Tactics: Thermopylae is the perfect place for hoplite warfare and for a small force to devastate a larger force. Picture a bottle. All the liquid in the bottle must go through the mouth of the bottle but not all the liquid is able to be at the mouth at the same time. This is where the geography of the "Hot Gates" helps. It bottled up Xerxes strategic advantage of having more men. On top of this, the Spartans had better training and equipment. Sure, the Spartans didn't fight bare chested (this was to glorify them because it is their story). They fought with heavy cuirasses on their chests and the same helmets, greaves, etc. shown in the movie. The weapons were very accurate as to what would have been used: A 6 foot spear, a sword, and a heavy bronze shield. The infantry for the Persians is also portrayed correctly as having a small spear, sword, little body armor, and a wicker shield. A wicker shield. We make chairs out of that stuff now. Hoplite tactics also gave the Spartans a huge advantage in the "Hot Gates." The area allowed for little to no maneuvering for Xerxes lightly armed troops. These advantages would have allowed the Spartans to put up quite the body count on the enemy and demoralize the troops.

3. Siege Equipment: The problem with your argument there is that many armies didn't two a giant catapult along behind them. Many at that time built them on site, or did without. Cities during this time were mainly taken by battering down the front gates with rams or scaling the walls with ladders. It would be years before a good catapult would make an appearance.

4. Cavalry: Calvalry's worst enemy is spearmen. What were the Spartans? Spearmen.

5. Plague/Roman crown: Doesn't appear until many days sitting out in the open. Are you serious? Plague? Now you're just being ridiculous. And the Roman crown thing is just ludicrous. No where is it said that the crown is Roman. Now if you are a crown expert, please, be my guest to explain it to me...

6. Dialogue: I've already covered this, but I'll do so again. Many of the lines or situations came from history. The scene with the pit actually happened, although I do believe it was the Athenians that did throw emissaries down a well telling them that they could 'find their earth and water down there.' The situation with the Spartans meeting another faction and dissing their soldiering skills happened, but years later. A soldier actually used the 'then we shall fight in the shade' line at Thermopylae and it's not to far to think that Leonidis said something about Spartan women fighting. Which brings me to my final point.

7. The Spartan People: The Spartan mindset was on self preservation and through that they built a warrior society. Why spend years in medical research when you could be wiped out the next day? Yes, the Spartans killed sickly babies, yes they were brutal in military training, and yes, the women could kick your ass. Women were also trained in the art of war and defense and were very physically active. Women, if of the top class, did have a voice in the affairs of the state. (Plus she was queen dude). Also, Herodotus details that the Spartans were some of the most beautiful people in Greece.

Some of the movie is fiction based off of the glorious Greek histories. Some is pure fact based off of histories, research, and archeological studies.

300. First of all it's just entertainment, but you can't just let your self go to anything the director throws at you, you've got to have standard. Even if you're not in to all that realism as I am you still probably find some idiotic. The Spartans throw away every child that's not perfect....lovely people. They could have invested their time in medical research, and genetic engineering instead of fighting and maybe that way become a great nation. Do you really think every child that went through 20 years of training, child abusement, would have no psychical damage, would be just a nice beautiful man with great morale? In the beginning of the movie, an emissary comes with heads of conquered nations. One is a roman skull, a Caesars....TIMELINE. They came from the east, And they first went to Rome and then Greece....GEOGRAPHY. They just happen to conveniently be talking next to the pit of death....how convenient. THIS IS SPARTA...I almost died of laughter, the guy probably spit all offer the actors. So the warriors gather around. All life time warriors, WITHOUT A SINGLE SCAR ON THEM. ...Spartans what is your profession:HAU?....I think the Greeks that met them were freed out. So here we have 300 pretty young men, with a spear and a shield, NAKED. The thousands and thousands of arrows coming at them and not a single one hits them, oh for fuck sake. The king that attacked the Spartans was a king who conquered dozens of worlds, a war veteran. How do you think they captured shielded cities in those days. Siege weaponry, thins like catapults, not exactly catapults but thing that threw rocks at the enemy walls. What protection would the naked men have against falling rocks from the sky. In those days elephants were very popular and strong war animals....get my drift? How could they protect them selves from elephants? And how could 300 men kill 10000 people. If you'd equip 300 people with AK-47's, give them 60 bullets each and send them to fight at that time against shields and swords, they could maximally kill 18000 people, but probably kill something like 4000...Now the man from the east has, cavalry, archery, fabulous infantry...and still can't win. The Spartans killed a lot of men there, built a wall out of them, since they've done much with dead bodies’...Ever heard of the plague.? That senator carried Illegal gold IN THE SENATE. Oh for fuck sake. And you're telling me this bad ass KING is asking his wife for improvement to kill the emissary...I'm guessing she's the one wearing trousers in this story, since he's naked all the time. And they say star wars are science fiction.

sipptaroowsky
07-18-2008, 12:27 AM
As promised, I'm back to dissect your post.

First, I want to say you should read Thermopylae: The Battle for the West by Ernle Bradford if you want to learn everything about this battle. It is a very well written book that details every aspect of the battle, cultures, and ways the battle would have been fought. I will now detail some points:

1. Viewpoint: 300 is told as through the eyes of the Greeks at that time and that viewpoint is based on the writings of Herodotus. The Greeks viewed Xerxes and his hoard as a godless scourge from the east coming to take away their lands. It was the first time the Greek city states stood together against a common enemy. Because of this, numbers are inflated, enemy forces exaggerated (rhinos/elephants/crazy looking giants), and the Spartans take a super human role. This super human role was important in order for the rest of Greece to rally and form a solid backbone against Xerxes.

2. Battle Tactics: Thermopylae is the perfect place for hoplite warfare and for a small force to devastate a larger force. Picture a bottle. All the liquid in the bottle must go through the mouth of the bottle but not all the liquid is able to be at the mouth at the same time. This is where the geography of the "Hot Gates" helps. It bottled up Xerxes strategic advantage of having more men. On top of this, the Spartans had better training and equipment. Sure, the Spartans didn't fight bare chested (this was to glorify them because it is their story). They fought with heavy cuirasses on their chests and the same helmets, greaves, etc. shown in the movie. The weapons were very accurate as to what would have been used: A 6 foot spear, a sword, and a heavy bronze shield. The infantry for the Persians is also portrayed correctly as having a small spear, sword, little body armor, and a wicker shield. A wicker shield. We make chairs out of that stuff now. Hoplite tactics also gave the Spartans a huge advantage in the "Hot Gates." The area allowed for little to no maneuvering for Xerxes lightly armed troops. These advantages would have allowed the Spartans to put up quite the body count on the enemy and demoralize the troops.

3. Siege Equipment: The problem with your argument there is that many armies didn't two a giant catapult along behind them. Many at that time built them on site, or did without. Cities during this time were mainly taken by battering down the front gates with rams or scaling the walls with ladders. It would be years before a good catapult would make an appearance.

4. Cavalry: Calvalry's worst enemy is spearmen. What were the Spartans? Spearmen.

5. Plague/Roman crown: Doesn't appear until many days sitting out in the open. Are you serious? Plague? Now you're just being ridiculous. And the Roman crown thing is just ludicrous. No where is it said that the crown is Roman. Now if you are a crown expert, please, be my guest to explain it to me...

6. Dialogue: I've already covered this, but I'll do so again. Many of the lines or situations came from history. The scene with the pit actually happened, although I do believe it was the Athenians that did throw emissaries down a well telling them that they could 'find their earth and water down there.' The situation with the Spartans meeting another faction and dissing their soldiering skills happened, but years later. A soldier actually used the 'then we shall fight in the shade' line at Thermopylae and it's not to far to think that Leonidis said something about Spartan women fighting. Which brings me to my final point.

7. The Spartan People: The Spartan mindset was on self preservation and through that they built a warrior society. Why spend years in medical research when you could be wiped out the next day? Yes, the Spartans killed sickly babies, yes they were brutal in military training, and yes, the women could kick your ass. Women were also trained in the art of war and defense and were very physically active. Women, if of the top class, did have a voice in the affairs of the state. (Plus she was queen dude). Also, Herodotus details that the Spartans were some of the most beautiful people in Greece.

Some of the movie is fiction based off of the glorious Greek histories. Some is pure fact based off of histories, research, and archeological studies.

Well, I agree about the tactical position, it is a good one, especially for spearmen. You're all so right about the cavalry, to a certain degree. But this man had whole countries at his disposal and would most certainly have no problem with crushing some 300 naked men. The siege weaponry was good enough at that time and would kill them all. You know what kind of existed in those days???? And a simple battering ram would not do.

It's not the roman crown, it's what Caesars wore on their head, those golden leafs. Oh and by the way...those bad as Spartans were easily disposed with when the Romans came after. Well I wonít argue with you again. I've had this argument with all metrosexuals out there, they all liked 300 and I couldn't change their minds, because it's like so totally cool to them. So, you're right, the movie is absolutely great, it rocks, I mean it's great, you win, fabulous movie.

IamSam
07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Well, I agree about the tactical position, it is a good one, especially for spearmen. You're all so right about the cavalry, to a certain degree. But this man had whole countries at his disposal and would most certainly have no problem with crushing some 300 naked men. The siege weaponry was good enough at that time and would kill them all. You know what kind of existed in those days???? And a simple battering ram would not do.

It's not the roman crown, it's what Caesars wore on their head, those golden leafs. Oh and by the way...those bad as Spartans were easily disposed with when the Romans came after. Well I wonít argue with you again. I've had this argument with all metrosexuals out there, they all liked 300 and I couldn't change their minds, because it's like so totally cool to them. So, you're right, the movie is absolutely great, it rocks, I mean it's great, you win, fabulous movie.

As to your second paragraph, knock it off, don't be a dick. Also, the Romans were able to dispose of the Spartans easily because by that time the Spartans were extremely weak and the Romans were a highly organized and disciplined fighting force, unlike the Persians. The Persian infantry was completely outclassed by the Spartans. That is why they lost. Plus, many kings wore leaves on their heads.

I already detailed siege weaponry, you chose to dismiss it. And it wasn't just 300 naked men. It was 300 superior men: Better trained, more disciplined, better armored, and held the strategic and tactical advantages.

I've come to realize from reading this and your rants in the politics forum that you are just a hater.

sipptaroowsky
07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
As to your second paragraph, knock it off, don't be a dick. Also, the Romans were able to dispose of the Spartans easily because by that time the Spartans were extremely weak and the Romans were a highly organized and disciplined fighting force, unlike the Persians. The Persian infantry was completely outclassed by the Spartans. That is why they lost. Plus, many kings wore leaves on their heads.

I already detailed siege weaponry, you chose to dismiss it. And it wasn't just 300 naked men. It was 300 superior men: Better trained, more disciplined, better armored, and held the strategic and tactical advantages.

I've come to realize from reading this and your rants in the politics forum that you are just a hater.

I just realised it, you're right about everything, really.

IamSam
07-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I just realised it, you're right about everything, really.

Well, not everything. But in this case I was right.

I understand if a movie isn't your cup of tea, but at least make sense with your argument.