PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight

offspringing
07-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Who is excited for this movie? Less then a day away..

Thomas
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I'll be seeing it on friday (I think).

I've never been a HUGE fan of batman, but I used to enjoy the cartoon when I was younger. Even Batman Beyond was a pretty good show.

But yeah, even though I've never been real hip on Batman, this movie looks incredible and I'm sure I'll be blown away when I see it.

0r4ng3
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I'm looking forward to it. The movie looks amazing.

This is a great summer for me (in terms of movies), considering my two all-time favorite comic book heroes are Batman and Iron Man.

Bipolar Bear
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Batman Begins was pretty damn awesome.
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Dark Knight, hopefully they'll show it in
English, not some dubbed french version (I live in Quebec).

Jakebert
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
It looks good, and it's the first time I've ever actually wanted to see a superhero movie in my life, but I am still a bit skeptical. I'm worried that critics are afraid to truly criticize the movie, what with Ledger taking a dirt nap and all.

Apathy
07-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I've seen it already. I wouldn't worry about that Jakebert, but I tend to like many superhero movies so I'm biased.

There was only one part that bothered me, but I won't give anything away.

Jakebert
07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, just answer me this: the main reason I want to see it is because I'm interested in psychology, and most critics are saying that the movie really deals with human darkness in a pretty raw, original way. Is that true or an exaggeration?

Apathy
07-16-2008, 11:42 PM
I'd say that if you were looking for that you can find it, but if you weren't you'd probably miss it all.

The whole movie kind of shows how batman is seen as this hero, who has to represent himself as such, but the joker is basically the embodiment of pure chaos. He's not really robbing banks because he needs money, he is just the tempter, a true example of an anarchist. Batman can't really fight that while still maintaining this hero image, and has to turn into something a little darker, hence the dark knight. This is where the human darkness aspect comes in.

Another place you could find it is in Harvey's character. He kind of shows how the world isn't black & white or good & evil, its shades of grey. He is essentially the same person throughout the entire movie, but his personality manifests itself differently when it can. That might not make sense, but if you didn't read any of the comics I won't spoil the whole Harvey Dent story for you.

Jakebert
07-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes! That sounds exactly like what I'm after: an action flick that actually does a good job with character, especially with that dark side, which I've always loved and why I'm the guy that likes the villians more than the heros.

Apathy
07-16-2008, 11:52 PM
You'll have to tell me if you've enjoyed it after.

Because it's all there, but I'm not sure if it's really center stage. I think you'll be happy with it though.

Jakebert
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm not expecting it to be, obviously in a Batman movie stuff like that comes second to the action. But the fact that it's there at all is inspiring, because the lack of stuff like that is what makes me not go to action movies anymore.

Nicole
07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm very excited about this movie. In fact I can't remember having the urge to go see something so badly since childhood. Should be catching the late session tonight, hooray.

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok, I'll beg:

NO SPOILERS.

I'll see it at 00:01 hours of friday 18 on Mexico City... PLIZ, no spoilers, or I will found a way to kill you.

Yes... I think that makes my statement of HOW excited am I

nightvision
07-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I loved Batman Begins and I can't wait for this one! Can't remember the last time I was this excited over a new movie. It premiers in Sweden next thursday.

Andy
07-17-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm seeing it at the IMAX theatre in Birmingham at the UK preview next Wednesday. Five storeys high, four buses across and all in glorious 3-D OOOH YEAH!

wheelchairman
07-17-2008, 04:58 AM
I was gonna say that I can't wait to see this movie but Jakebert made it sound horrible.

F@ BANKZ
07-17-2008, 06:16 AM
Like Jakebert, this is the first superhero movie that I've ever looked forward too, although this is entirely because it has a good trailer. I will correct Bipolar; I thought Begins was very boring, but you cannot turn your back on Batman Forever.

Edit:
I'm seeing it at the IMAX theatre in Birmingham at the UK preview next Wednesday. Five storeys high, four buses across and all in glorious 3-D OOOH YEAH!

Are there any more tickets available? I have always wanted to go to an IMAX cinema and now you have really sold the idea to me.

Apathy
07-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I thought Begins was very boring, but you cannot turn your back on Batman Forever.

You can if you consider the fact that this is the seqel to Batman Begins and has pretty much no similarities to Forever other than the fact that....Batman.

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Like Jakebert, this is the first superhero movie that I've ever looked forward too, although this is entirely because it has a good trailer. I will correct Bipolar; I thought Begins was very boring, but you cannot turn your back on Batman Forever.

Edit:

Are there any more tickets available? I have always wanted to go to an IMAX cinema and now you have really sold the idea to me.

Begins boring... yeah... pigs can fly

Rag Doll
07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
i won't be able to see it until saturday evening. all thursday showings are sold out here and no one can go on friday. boooo.

i'm pretty excited.

Andy
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Edit:

I think so, yes. I remember someone saying the other day that there were still some, anyway.

F@ BANKZ
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Andy I'll look into it.

Begins boring... yeah... pigs can fly

It wasn't boring in the sense that it was completely uneventful, it was just a predictable, unorginal film.

jacknife737
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Batman has always been my favorite superhero, so Iíve been incredibly excited for this. I must say that I was a bit hesitant when I heard that Ledger had been cast as the joker, but as soon as I saw a teaser trailer I knew they had made the perfect choice. Another thing which is causing me to really want to see the movie is the whole morality thing (like Apathy mentioned) that Iíve been reading about in reviews, the one in the Globe and Mail today is a perfect example of what I mean.

Gothy billionaires who dress up in leather to beat people up > nerdy photographers

Ninty Man
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks Andy I'll look into it.

It wasn't boring in the sense that it was completely uneventful, it was just a predictable, unorginal film.

Pfff... predictable the shining, I mean... is Batman, obviously he will saved the world. I wasn't expecting the end, and the Ra's Shit... Well, a matter of opinion I guess. I Just say I'm a fan who saw bat nipples and nearly cried

Apathy
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Gothy billionaires who dress up in leather to beat people up > nerdy photographers

I would normally disagree, but someone is bound to bring up Spiderman 3 ; there's no amount of white-out in the world to cover up that mistake.

Homer
07-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Just got back from seeing it, and damn, it's a very good movie. It's got tons of memorable moments and it's easily one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Go see this movie.

Nicole
07-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Saw it last night. Absolutely brilliant. Ledgers performance was excellent. There's some very thinky quotes in that film, about chaos and human nature and heroes and various other stuff of a philosophical nature that had me hooked.

I might go see this again while it's still at the cinema, and I'm not much of a movie re-watcher.

Ninty Man
07-18-2008, 01:56 AM
One word:

Perfect

Free?
07-18-2008, 02:14 AM
I lol'd when I saw this poster in cinema. Why would a superhero set such fireworks in a building? To me he looked as a terrorist...http://screenrant.com/images/april-dark-knight-poster.jpg

lil_punk_rawker
07-18-2008, 03:46 AM
My Dad is so embarrassing. He has been a batman fan since.. ever. Anyway he has all this memorabilia and well, EVERYTHING batman. He went to see it last night I think and he sent me a picture.
He actually went to the theatre in fulll batman costume. He has a proper rubber mask and everything, not a cheap one.... He over 50 too. :(

WebDudette
07-18-2008, 03:54 AM
THE BATMAN was my least favorite character. I enjoyed Bruce Wayne though.

Heath Ledger was actually really amazing.

The movie was really good and more of an actual movie rather than a comic book movie like The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man.

Also, Batman > Spider-Man.
Everyone > Spider-Man.

Llamas
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
I was a huge fan of the Batman movies growing up. I loved Batman, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever... was let down by Batman and Robin... then Batman Begins came out, and I was bummed. This is coming from someone who never read the comics, so I know my opinion isn't completely balanced. But I liked the TV show and the first few movies... Begins seemed to turn Batman into what every other modern superhero film is. What I liked about Batman was gone, and replaced by special effects, huge action scenes, and bad attempts at being deep (the only movie [series] I thought succeeded at the latter was Xmen).

I'll see Dark Knight, and I'll go into it with the mindset that it is going to be like Begins, and nothing like the ones I grew up loving. I just hope they don't try to take the "deepness" too far.

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-18-2008, 10:13 AM
loved this movie!
ledger as Joker was captivating... he was funny and creepy at the same time.

is it just me, or when bale talks as batman, he sounds like cookie monster?

WebDudette
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
The way he talked was my major complaint about the movie. Honestly, every scene with Batman was sub-par. Everything else was great.

llamas, Batman begins was bad. This is a lot better, though still the same character.

Thomas
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
I just got back from it. It was awesome. Nothing I didn't like about it (although the acting as Batman was a litle strange).

Little_Miss_1565
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I was avoiding this thread in case it contained spoilers. I saw it this afternoon and OH MY GOD IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME. KOO KOO BANANAS.

My only complaint? Batman's "C is for cookie and that's good enough for me" voice.

Andy
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
So what, the WHOLE BBS has seen this movie?

How annoying, seeing as I'm not seeing it until Wednesday, and even that's a preview over here.

Ninty Man
07-18-2008, 05:36 PM
The way he talked was my major complaint about the movie. Honestly, every scene with Batman was sub-par. Everything else was great.

llamas, Batman begins was bad. This is a lot better, though still the same character.

Begins... BAD??? Pfff, kiss my fat ass.

Well... I really wanna see a third part

WebDudette
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes Andy, as a matter of fact everyone has seen it. Nearly 9 theaters were full at the Harkins I went too. I seen several people I knew from school.

Apathy
07-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Sit back and be fascinated with the amazing apath's one word comments!

THE BATMAN was my least favorite character. I enjoyed Bruce Wayne though.

Agreed

Everyone > Spider-Man.
Stfu.

and bad attempts at being deep (the only movie [series] I thought succeeded at the latter was Xmen).
hreuh?

Now that that's trough, I'd like to point out that the last answer was supposed to represent Tim Allen in Home Improvement. Now for some clarification.

The movie was really good and more of an actual movie rather than a comic book movie like The Incredible Hulk or Iron Man.

Agreed, however that's not necessarily a bad thing. You see The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were the first two movies run by Marvel studios and they tried to religiously stick to the comics. Whereas Christopher Nolan was quoted as saying he wanted to remain true to the comics, but is willing to stray because his main goal was to create a "real crime thriller"

Everyone > Spider-Man
That's just because Spider-mans all popular now. And the third movie sucked ass. Either way, it's hard to argue that DC > Marvel. Because that's just...false.

Well... I really wanna see a third part
Not sure it'll happen. I heard from an interview that Nolan wasn't even planning on making this, and he really wanted to leave Begins without a sequel, but eventually changed his mind. At this point he plans on not making a third, but he might be swayed again. Especially if he's greedy because he'd be a rich rich man.

Yes Andy, as a matter of fact everyone has seen it. Nearly 9 theaters were full at the Harkins I went too. I seen several people I knew from school.
I work at a movie theater. We got our asses handed to us today from sheer amounts of people. However, a steamy coworker of mine dressed up in a revealing Female Robin costume, a perk of the night. And perk doesn't mean benefit here. Har Har Har.

Little_Miss_1565
07-18-2008, 11:42 PM
People started lining up outside the theater in Union Square when I was walking to dinner on Thursday night. The first showings were at 12:01 am and many theaters went ALL NIGHT LONG, and everything sold out. The only IMAX ticket I could have gotten would have been at 4 AM. I was all 'prnk n u biches' as I walked by last night 'cuz I got my ticket for 3 PM today and it was baaaaller. Sold out but the streets were not yet choked with the hoardes that were there when we emerged back into daylight at 6 PM.

Saw Adam Duritz of Counting Crows "running" (in quotes because he had a cane) towards the theater last night. I'd love to think he was getting in line for the movie. Har.

Ninty Man
07-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Sit back and be fascinated with the amazing apath's one word comments!

Agreed

Stfu.

hreuh?

Now that that's trough, I'd like to point out that the last answer was supposed to represent Tim Allen in Home Improvement. Now for some clarification.

Agreed, however that's not necessarily a bad thing. You see The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man were the first two movies run by Marvel studios and they tried to religiously stick to the comics. Whereas Christopher Nolan was quoted as saying he wanted to remain true to the comics, but is willing to stray because his main goal was to create a "real crime thriller"

That's just because Spider-mans all popular now. And the third movie sucked ass. Either way, it's hard to argue that DC > Marvel. Because that's just...false.

Not sure it'll happen. I heard from an interview that Nolan wasn't even planning on making this, and he really wanted to leave Begins without a sequel, but eventually changed his mind. At this point he plans on not making a third, but he might be swayed again. Especially if he's greedy because he'd be a rich rich man.

I work at a movie theater. We got our asses handed to us today from sheer amounts of people. However, a steamy coworker of mine dressed up in a revealing Female Robin costume, a perk of the night. And perk doesn't mean benefit here. Har Har Har.

Well, apparently ( I guess I wrote that wrong) the lead actors from begns-not exactly cilliam murphy or Neeson- are sign for 3 movies

Apathy
07-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, apparently ( I guess I wrote that wrong) the lead actors from begns-not exactly cilliam murphy or Neeson- are sign for 3 movies

bale, oldman, and caine are all under contract for three films. But As of now Nolan is saying that he has no plans for it. So I'm not sure what to make of the situation.

WebDudette
07-19-2008, 02:41 AM
There are lot of Marvel characters I like probably more so than most DC characters. I've just always really enjoyed Batman and never really like Spider-Man.

The thing I said about it not being a comic movie was a good thing. I like the comic book superhero movies. I just enjoy th way this was done more.

Also, omg Watchmen.

nightvision
07-19-2008, 02:48 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/
Have you guys noticed this? 9,6. NINE POINT FUCKING SIX. That's sick! SICK SICK SICK! Please be thursday tomorrow, I need to see this movie!

Lupin
07-19-2008, 03:51 AM
http://remixconcepts.blogspot.com/2008/07/dark-knight-leaked-scene-2008.html

A leaked scene for those who wanna check it oot. Heath Ledger is pretty slick.

Apathy
07-19-2008, 07:05 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/
Have you guys noticed this? 9,6. NINE POINT FUCKING SIX. That's sick! SICK SICK SICK! Please be thursday tomorrow, I need to see this movie!

First off, check the top 250 movies. That's more accurate because it only counts votes from regular voters. Thus votes from people who just wanted to vote because they have a strong opinion about Batman are discounted.

There it's still high - 9.1. However this is still inaccurate. Who's most likely to go see Dark Knight on or before the opening day? People who like Batman. Who's most likely to rate Dark Knight highly? People who like Batman. Yeah.

nightvision
07-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Yes yes, I know all about that. Still, it's an insane rating so far.

Little_Miss_1565
07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Also, omg Watchmen.

DUDE I KNOW!

At first I thought it might be the Authority, but then they said "most loved graphic novel ever." Can't wait.

Rag Doll
07-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Apparently, they play the Smashing Pumpkins during the Watchmen trailer. I'm almost as excited for that as I am for the Dark Knight!

I have tickets for 7pm btwwww. I waited in line for a half an hour this morning to get them.

Little_Miss_1565
07-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Apparently, they play the Smashing Pumpkins during the Watchmen trailer. I'm almost as excited for that as I am for the Dark Knight!

You wanna know what's funny about that? It's a remix of "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning"...the song they put on the Batman & Robin soundtrack.

Rag Doll
07-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I know! I was reading it on their website, and I was like..."waiiiiiit a minute...that's from...!! iiiii see what you did there." ;p

oh, those clever trailer makers and placers.

nieh
07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Saw it last night. It was awesome, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't like Bale's Batman voice.

Little_Miss_1565
07-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Saw it last night. It was awesome, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that doesn't like Bale's Batman voice.

"Me like Robert Downey Jr. of cookies"

EDIT: Just had hilarious phone call from ex with whom I am still on excellent terms.

"Hey, Sarah...I don't have much time to talk but you're the best person I could talk to about this. When the Joker is dressed up like the nurse, all those weird little movements he does...Did it remind you of <name of another ex of mine whom we are both friends with>?" I died laughing, because it's TRUE. Who the fuck do I date?!

jacknife737
07-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Also, omg Watchmen.

The world will look up and shout save us...and I'll whisper no.

nightvision
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt0468569
Gives me the chills. I don't know what to say.

Ninty Man
07-19-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?tt0468569
Gives me the chills. I don't know what to say.

Men... that's a Joker situation.... MEN, WHY I'M A FUCKING BATMAN FAN???

drex878
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
It was simply amazing.

WebDudette
07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Woah, that IMDb chart is unreasonable. The Dark Knight is not better than the Godfather or Shawshank Redemption. In fact I'm sure a lot of those movies are superior to it.

I think everyone is a little to jumpy about voting for the Dark Knight, it definitely had its flaws.

Apathy
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Don't worry, it'll shoot down a lot further once it's been out for a month or two and non-fans start to see it. My prediction is it finishes with the big pack at 8.8

Edit: Also, I don't know what the Watchmen is, I don't really read any DC comics. It looked like I wouldn't enjoy it.

iPunk247
07-20-2008, 06:08 AM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/jolenesteele/heath.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/beckynau2009/0715_heath.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/gluepoppop/heathledgerjoker.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/iloveaugust/riphl.jpg

iPunk247
07-20-2008, 06:10 AM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg279/suustsu_naaki/HEATHLEDGER.jpg

http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn374/JohnnaMarie11/joker.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h81/bighead6523/Jokerheath.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a259/nayahzpics/joker.jpg

nieh
07-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Edit: Also, I don't know what the Watchmen is, I don't really read any DC comics. It looked like I wouldn't enjoy it.

Watchmen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen) is awesome. The trailer seemed to focus more on action than the comic does, and I kind of expect the movie to turn out the same way.

0r4ng3
07-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Did anyone else have their theater show a trailer for The Dark Knight among the commercials before the official trailers before The Dark Knight? I thought that was pretty funny.

Also the movie was really good.

Rag Doll
07-20-2008, 06:53 AM
I saw it last night. I thought it was really fucking good. Ledger was just....wow, in his role.

Apathy
07-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Storytime.

I got to be a seater at the movie theater today, which basically means I stand near the entrance and make sure no one sneaks in, or starts throwing shit, or sneaks up into our "VIP seats".

Anyway, when it comes to the scene of the Joker's magic pencil trick (I won't spoil it), it's completely silent in the theater. As soon as he's finished, there are a few gasps and lots of laughs like normal, but some old guy (30's to 40's) yells "Oh my fucking god!" in a really exasperated voice, and spills his drink all over himself.

Gave me a chuckle.

Budzy
07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Storytime.

I got to be a seater at the movie theater today, which basically means I stand near the entrance and make sure no one sneaks in, or starts throwing shit, or sneaks up into our "VIP seats".

Anyway, when it comes to the scene of the Joker's magic pencil trick (I won't spoil it), it's completely silent in the theater. As soon as he's finished, there are a few gasps and lots of laughs like normal, but some old guy (30's to 40's) yells "Oh my fucking god!" in a really exasperated voice, and spills his drink all over himself.

Gave me a chuckle.

lol. I really did not see that coming either.

But yeah batman: holy shit. Best movie in a while. Long long while. Im usually one who cant sit in a cinema and not throw popcorn at people or tip coke on their seat when ppl shuffle forward but i sat there and concratetd through every second of that movie. it was great. the way they've done batman is so much better than some random putting on a bat suit and killing random ppl who dress up as penguins etc. Awesome movie. Well explained aswell. Like you can understand wats goin on without hurting your brain too much.

IamSam
07-20-2008, 11:33 PM
I haven't had a movie keep me on the edge of my seat in a long time. Literally, I was on my seat's edge. If Ledger doesn't get best actor for this, I don't know what is going on in the world. He was phenomenal. As was everyone in that movie. One of the best I've seen in a long time. 10/10

IamSam
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
The world will look up and shout save us...and I'll whisper no.

Oh, and FUCK YES. I hope they don't fuck Watchmen up. I'll be very disappointed if they do.

0r4ng3
07-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I should start following this whole Watchman business. Apparently it's the best thing ever.

Jules69
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Batman is so sexy!! He is one of my heros!! I would love to take him by the ears!!!!:p

sKratch
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Phenomenal movie. The last two Batman films have done things for the series that none of the others have ever come close to touching.

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Phenomenal movie. The last two Batman films have done things for the series that none of the others have ever come close to touching.

but ill tell you one thing that "Batman & Robin" gave to the world, that Nolan's films havent : rubber Batman nipples.

... who ever thought that would be a good idea...but then again,who ever thought "Batman & Robin" would be a good idea

bighead384
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I was wikipedia-ing it up after seeing The Dark Knight, and I read this about The Joker:

"He is generally acknowledged to be Batman's arch-nemesis and worst enemy, gleefully citing the relationship between the two as being Comedy and Tragedy, Chaos and Order, two sides of the same coin."

Reminds me a lot of the explanations for Rise & Fall, Rage & Grace that I've read in the cd case and heard in interviews. I wonder if Dexter is a fan of Batman. I know they did "Smash it Up" for the soundtrack to one of the Batman movies.

sKratch
07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
In other news, I went to trivia at a cafe tonight with the lady and some friends and our team name was "Heath Ledger's Pharmacist".

Little_Miss_1565
07-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Is anyone watching the Daily show right now? There was a bit at the beginning of the show where they were riffing on the press having a fanatical enthusiasm of Obama, and some of the correspondents were talking about how Barack Obama gives them all boners.

The Dark Knight gives me a boner.

Apathy
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmnbaeAP9GA
har. I don't watch the show but someone told me about it when talking about dark knight and I thought it was funny.

jacknife737
07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
So after offically being the last person in the world to see the Dark Knight, all I have to say is anyone want to see a magic trick?

nightvision
07-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I just saw it and it was everything I expected. I was never bored and I wanted it to go on forever. Heath Ledger was brilliant, couldn't get enough of him.

I guess it must be 10/10.

Llamas
07-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I saw it last night. I thought it was good, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like movies very much. I was entertained almost the whole way through, whereas I usually check the time every like 10 min.

*Minor spoilers ahead* My major complaint was that the cell phone thing was really lame. It played on Batman being kinda dark, doing something that's wrong in order to accomplish what is right... but the concept was really stupid, I thought.

I also thought that amplifying Heath Ledger's mouth saliva sounds got really old after a while. I thought it was a cool touch at first, but then it was just dumb.

However, Ledger's performance was very impressive. I've never found him a great actor in the past, but he truly surpassed my expectations. I thought he was every bit as good in that role as Nicholson. Most of the acting was above par, and I liked Gylenhaal way more than Holmes.

The Two Face story was awesome, I thought. I liked how they played it up like he was gonna be the big villain in the next movie, but then twisted it around at the end.

Overall, I was very satisfied with this film, and it takes a lot to impress me. 8/10.

Rag Doll
07-25-2008, 08:43 PM
In other news, I went to trivia at a cafe tonight with the lady and some friends and our team name was "Heath Ledger's Pharmacist".

We played bar trivia last Sunday. Our team name was gonna be "Rachel Dies" (don't highlight that unless you want a BIG spoiler!!). We're terrible bitches.

And we crushed Team "Why So Serious?"....bwahaha.

jacknife737
07-26-2008, 10:44 AM
It exceed all my expectations, most of my thoughts have already been covered in this thread. The performances were great, especially by Ledger, Oldman and Eckhart. Some people may end up being put off by the major success of the film and call it overrated, but they'd be wrong, this was one of the best films of the year, and definitely the greatest "superhero" movie ever made. Although I admit, i really dislike using that term when discussing the Dark Knight because it just doesn't "feel" like one, it comes off as more of a crime-thriller than a movie about Batman.

My only minor complaint would be that Ledger's performance was almost too good, I mean, the movie is supposed to be about Batman, but during the bits without the Joker i sometimes found myself wishing they'd get to the next bit that focused on him.

Llamas
07-26-2008, 12:44 PM
We played bar trivia last Sunday. Our team name was gonna be "Rachel Dies" (don't highlight that unless you want a BIG spoiler!!). We're terrible bitches.
hahaha, that's hilarious. What team name did you end up going with instead?

My only minor complaint would be that Ledger's performance was almost too good, I mean, the movie is supposed to be about Batman, but during the bits without the Joker i sometimes found myself wishing they'd get to the next bit that focused on him.
I agree with this, but I think it was a welcome change from Batman Begins. That movie was SO focused around Batman that I got really bored and sick of him, haha. But yes, Ledger was incredible in that role.

Bipolar Bear
07-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Saw the movie, it was great.
I give it 9/10

Great action, storyline, and acting.

Apathy
07-26-2008, 10:34 PM
The Two Face story was awesome, I thought. I liked how they played it up like he was gonna be the big villain in the next movie, but then twisted it around at the end.

Spoilers....

Many people are under the impression that Two-Face will be the big villain for the next movie, if there is one. I can point to two small additions to the movie that support this. One, there is no casket at the funeral scene. Two, when he's seen on the ground after his fall, A shot is shown of his coin: face up.

Lots of people think this means Batman and Gordon pretended he was killed and locked him away in Arkham Asylum (from the first movie) to hide the fact that he's a fucked up murderer now.

However, I would think that the coin flip is more representative of the fact that Gordon's son lives, because that's who the coin flip was actually for. But who knows.

Short_Attention_Span
07-26-2008, 11:18 PM
So after offically being the last person in the world to see the Dark Knight, all I have to say is anyone want to see a magic trick?

Oh, don't worry. I still haven't seen it yet.

I heard a lot of spoilers and everything, and it's making me want to go even more...
________
Pissing toilet (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/837/toilet/videos/1)

H1T_That
07-27-2008, 05:07 AM
I really didn't think the film was all that. Ledger was fucking phenomenal though.

Paint_It_Black
07-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Needed an Adam West cameo.

nieh
07-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Spoilers....

Many people are under the impression that Two-Face will be the big villain for the next movie, if there is one. I can point to two small additions to the movie that support this. One, there is no casket at the funeral scene. Two, when he's seen on the ground after his fall, A shot is shown of his coin: face up.

Also the fact that earlier in the movie Batman dropped someone from a 4th story balcony knowing full well it wouldn't kill him, the fall for Dent was about the same distance. Also, why would he kill Dent after that whole spiel about him not being able to kill the joker? I wouldn't be surprised either way though. If he IS alive, then I don't think he'll be the main villain in the sequel if they make one, but i do think he'll at least be there and his presence will probably end up absolving Batman of the crimes that had to be pinned on him in this one.

Jakebert
07-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Needed an Adam West cameo.

Yeah, but that could be said of any movie that doesn't have an Adam West cameo.

Plus, this movie fails for not having shark repellent batspray.
http://andersb.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/shark.jpg

XYlophonetreeZ
07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I really agree with this. I actually think Batman is the weakest character in the movie. The movie's about Batman but I just wanted to see less and less of him and moar Joker. But nooooo, that wouldn't be conducive to the plot. Oh well.

Emil
07-27-2008, 02:15 PM
BATMAN RULES! He has no super powers just a coupple of toys else his just an ordanery man with combat technics and lots of Musels!

Lodat225
07-27-2008, 03:12 PM
He's a fucking billionaire.

He doesn't need super powers.

Cock Joke
07-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I just saw it! I thought it was great!

Mota Boy
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Getting up from that movie, I felt like I'd just watched an entire season of the best fucking show on TV.

WebDudette
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Haha, I actually left the movie thinking 'I really want to watch more 'Dexter''.

Apathy
07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Also the fact that earlier in the movie Batman dropped someone from a 4th story balcony knowing full well it wouldn't kill him, the fall for Dent was about the same distance. Also, why would he kill Dent after that whole spiel about him not being able to kill the joker? I wouldn't be surprised either way though. If he IS alive, then I don't think he'll be the main villain in the sequel if they make one, but i do think he'll at least be there and his presence will probably end up absolving Batman of the crimes that had to be pinned on him in this one.

Exactly. Lots of people I talked to claimed that the balcony that Batman drops Maroni off of is supposed to foreshadow the fact that Dent probably also couls survive a similar fall.

I'm not sure I see a third one happening, but if it does most of the people I've talked to are predicting a two-face return and the riddler. Imdb seems to think that the Reese guy who works for Wayne will be the riddler, and some people say that Gary Oldman accidentally confirmed this, but I'm not sure. I don't think that they are even planning on making one at this point.

Bipolar Bear
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Exactly. Lots of people I talked to claimed that the balcony that Batman drops Maroni off of is supposed to foreshadow the fact that Dent probably also couls survive a similar fall.

I'm not sure I see a third one happening, but if it does most of the people I've talked to are predicting a two-face return and the riddler. Imdb seems to think that the Reese guy who works for Wayne will be the riddler, and some people say that Gary Oldman accidentally confirmed this, but I'm not sure. I don't think that they are even planning on making one at this point.

Interesting.
I do hope they are making a third one though. The first two were really outstanding, especially Dark Knight. Who would be the joker though? It'd be pretty hard to find someone as good as Heath Ledger, who might even win an Oscar for his performance.

Apathy
07-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I don't think Joker would be in it. Although they had no problems replacing Katie Holmes, but Joker seems to iconic to have an Actor switch, which always makes the series seem less credible. My guess is that his character will be stuck in Arkham for the third movie.

Also, that's shit if he gets an Oscar. It doesn't matter how good a job he did, The Joker is not a character capable of Oscar-worthy performance.

I seriously doubt he will. Posthumous wins are rare anyway.

Little_Miss_1565
07-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Also, that's shit if he gets an Oscar. It doesn't matter how good a job he did, The Joker is not a character capable of Oscar-worthy performance.

...wait, what? How?

jacknife737
07-27-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure I see a third one happening

With 200 million+ after five days of release, a sequel is happening, despite whatever grumbling Nolan may have at the moment.

My guess is that his character will be stuck in Arkham for the third movie.

I was reading in a semi-recent article that should they ever do a third film, part of it would focus on the trial of the Joker, however this was all before the Dark Knight had started filming, and has since been kind of dismissed, still, that sounded like a cool idea. I have a feeling that since Ledger's performance has been so iconic that they won't replace him, but i won't write it off completely.

Apathy
07-27-2008, 11:01 PM
It is rare that any summer blockbuster wins an oscar, let alone a superhero movie. Has a superhero movie EVER won an oscar? I can't think of one. I don't care if it's a "realistic crime thriller".

Past that, The Joker is too one-dimensional. He's an anarchist. He appears-seemingly out of nowhere- only to serve as batmans opposite. He has no rules, and he lives only to try to corrupt batman and gotham.

That's about it. He has no real backround, no real problems, no real feelings. He doesn't really have real motives because his only purpose is to introduce anarachy and chaos to others. He doesn't even seem to care if he lives or dies as long as this is accomplished.

Because of all this, The Joker can't be considered an actual person. He's more like the embodiment of corruption in Gotham.

Sure, Heath Ledger does a good job playing him. But after you read all of this, it doesn't even seem like it would be that much of an accomplishment. You don't have to make your character feel pity, love, happiness, sadness, blah blah etc. You just practice your crazy laugh and lip-smacking then get in the suit. I honestly believe that anyone with the look and the voice probably could have done just as good of a job.

All that being said, I still think he did a fantastic job. And I obviously loved the movie. But I just don't think he deserves an Oscar, and everyone else seems to think he's getting one.

Jakebert
07-27-2008, 11:21 PM
He does too deserve an Oscar...I mean, he's dead and stuff.

And it's pretty obvious how they're going to deal with The Joker if they make a third film:

Batman: Joker, you look like you have something to say. Do you?

Joker: Yes. I have to go, my home planet needs me.

*Note: Joker died on the way back to his planet.*

Thomas
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM

And it's pretty obvious how they're going to deal with The Joker if they make a third film:

Batman: Joker, you look like you have something to say. Do you?

Joker: Yes. I have to go, my home planet needs me.

*Note: Joker died on the way back to his planet.*

Nah. That might work for Indiana Jones, though.

IamSam
07-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Bingo. That is the real reason why he would win an Oscar. True, he did play the role tremendously, but it wasn't a difficult role to play. However the situation gets magnified knowing that he died shortly after finishing his defining role.

Sidewinder
07-28-2008, 12:36 AM
There were more scenes with The Joker than with Batman really, considering a good 2/3 of his screen time he's Bruce Wayne.

Paint_It_Black
07-28-2008, 04:19 AM
Past that, The Joker is too one-dimensional. He's an anarchist. He appears-seemingly out of nowhere- only to serve as batmans opposite. He has no rules, and he lives only to try to corrupt batman and gotham.

That's about it. He has no real backround, no real problems, no real feelings. He doesn't really have real motives because his only purpose is to introduce anarachy and chaos to others. He doesn't even seem to care if he lives or dies as long as this is accomplished.

Because of all this, The Joker can't be considered an actual person. He's more like the embodiment of corruption in Gotham.

That's a fair assessment based on what we're given, but if you're willing to think about it a little further you can get a lot more out of it.

For one thing, is he really an anarchist? The Joker claims he's not a schemer. He doesn't make plans. He's a dog chasing cars, right? Bullshit. He's the biggest schemer we've seen so far. He plans everything intricately. The bus at the beginning of the movie showed that immediately. Later, his escape from jail made it undeniable. His particular brand of chaos is very carefully planned. Does he really want total anarchy? No, he wants there to be a system in place for him to screw with. Without it he'd be bored and have no purpose.

The joker lies constantly. There's many examples I could give, but it should really be obvious. For one thing he always gives a different account of how he got his scars. You just can't form an adequate profile of him from what you hear him say in the movie. You have to take it further.

I get the feeling he was severely wronged in some way, and now he's taking it out on the world. Much like Batman suffered a personal tragedy and chose to protect others, I think the Joker suffered something equally traumatic and chose to make others suffer as he had.

I don't even think he's insane actually. Not in the usual sense. I think he's created an elaborate character to play, much like Bruce Wayne has, and he's simply playing out the character. The difference is that he possibly never STOPS playing that role he's created. For me this ties in with my belief that he's a master of making plans, and his sanity is merely different to the normal kind, rather than being insane. Of course, insanity is just a legal term anyway. If you really want to discuss his mental state then that term is not even close to adequate. He clearly knows right from wrong and makes a conscious choice to do bad things. That's actually one pretty good definition of evil. In contrast, Two-Face cannot be considered evil, and is a much better candidate to be labeled as insane.

The Joker has a background, we just don't know it. He has or has had problems, we just don't know them. And he certainly has feelings. He shows a deep contempt for normal people and normal society. He treats Batman as an equal, because Batman is not a normal person. Batman has also opted not to merely live a mundane bullshit existence in a mundane bullshit world, and the Joker respects that. The only time you can really believe the Joker means what he is saying is when he's talking to Batman. It gives us the best glimpse in to his true feelings. And don't forget that when he was in jail he became truly agitated for the only time in the entire film. He wanted his phone call, and when he wasn't getting it he became genuinely pissed, because his entire plan hinged upon it. The reason he's usually able to act so crazy and carefree is because he's absolutely confident that he knows exactly what's going to happen next. Throw a wrench in to his plans and you'll start to break that and see more of a human in him. He wants to make other people feel like they are living in utter chaos, but he wants it to all go according to his carefully made plan. It's all part of his act.

I also disagree that he doesn't have "real" motives. Sure, he doesn't care about money or taking over the world. But like Alfred says, some men just want to watch as the world burns. The Joker has motives that are far more pure than your average mundane motives. He's not looking for personal gain. He wants to make the world burn, because he thinks the world deserves it. He's most likely looking for payback for something. And the humor? Simply put, he gets the joke. He gets that all of it, everything, is one big joke. All of our plans, all of our hopes, all of our sense of security. It really suggests to me he's a man who lost everything and can now see the funny side. He wants you to see the funny side too.

And he does care if he lives or dies. He just knows that the "good" guys aren't going to kill him. When dealing with other criminals he takes a little more care to ensure his own safety, such as wearing explosives to the meeting. Though I do believe he'd like Batman to kill him, simply because it would give him his ultimate victory over Batman, and his personal game with Batman has become more interesting to him than the big game he is playing in general. But he still doesn't think Batman really will, and as always he's right.

To sum up, I find the Joker to be definitively evil, highly intelligent, deeply passionate and as motivated as it is possible for anyone to be. And what makes him a truly terrifying character is not that someone like that could exist to threaten my way of life, but rather that I can understand how a person could become like that. Obviously not the excessive theatricality of this character, but certainly a real-life variation. Like they said in the movie, Batman changed the rules. The presence of a theatrically extreme crime fighter allowed for the presence of a theatrically extreme villain. But the underlying psychology is all too believable. It resonates with my own darker side that I keep securely locked away. And the Joker believes that darker side of all of us can be unlocked shockingly easily. And he may be right.

Woah, dude. Like, deep and shit.

Vera
07-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow, Richard, quite a post. I tip my hat to you, good sir. I tip my hat twice!

And so what if Joker was brought in as the anti-thesis of Batman, and yet with so many similarities between the two. Most people who're into Batman agree that that's what makes Joker the best Batman villain.

Which makes me sad in a way. The line near the end

SPOILER LAWL

when the Joker is all like, "You and I are destined to do this dance", it suddenly hit me that no, that's not a possibility because Ledger's dead. And that's what really would've been something, the return of the Joker in one form or another, in the probable continuations to this film. Sigh.

END SPOILER LAWL

Basically what I thought of the movie - saw it this afternoon, by the way - was what everybody else said. Good stuff, amazing performance by Ledger, destined to be over-rated, over-quoted and misunderstood (ala Fight Club or something) from the get go...

I really liked it, and it was one hell of a film experience, but no way in hell will I be rewatching. Probably like, ever.

In a way I think this movie brought comic book movies to a whole new level but at the same time, I think I enjoy the other end of the genre more; the fun entertainment-geared movies like Iron Man and (judging by the trailer) Hellboy II.

Sunny
07-28-2008, 12:16 PM
needs moar maggie gyllenhaal nudity. =p

aside from that, it was very entertaining. i hope HL gets an Academy award for his performance. also, lots of explosions = yay!

now for the letdowns:
the batsuit didn't have nipples on it this time, which broke my heart into a million pieces. :( :( :(
the BW/batman character was a bit... flat. hrm. which may or may not have been related to his lack of batsuit nipples.

Vera
07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
I think the Incredible Hulk used up all the graituitous nudity in comic book movies for the next 10 years.

Sunny
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
aw, i missed out on that cinematic masterpiece. BUMMER.

Vera
07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Angry green men pretty much suck but if you like Edward Norton sans shirt, it is quite the must see.

Apathy
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I liked The Incredible Hulk. This probably has more to do with Ed Norton manlove than the actual movie though.

Richard- I very much disagree with most of your long, extremely well thought out post. However I don't seem to have the words or examples to accurately refute anything. That stands for something, and I think that you've proved that it can be thought of in much more than the flat way that I wanted to see it.

Keeping this all in mind, I still don't think that he should be winning any oscars.

0r4ng3
07-28-2008, 09:02 PM
By your logic, would Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent be more deserving of an Oscar? I mean, considering his character is actually more of a character.

Paint_It_Black
07-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Richard- I very much disagree with most of your long, extremely well thought out post. However I don't seem to have the words or examples to accurately refute anything. That stands for something, and I think that you've proved that it can be thought of in much more than the flat way that I wanted to see it.

Dude, that's no fun. Call me a faggot or something at least. I don't come here for civilized discussion for christ sake.

Er, I mean, thanks for the unusual compliment.

Wow, Richard, quite a post. I tip my hat to you, good sir. I tip my hat twice!

Wag of the finger for not directly commenting on any of it. Come on people, I want to discuss the movie here! Though obviously only on my own terms.

I think the Incredible Hulk used up all the graituitous nudity in comic book movies for the next 10 years.

Wait, there's nudity in that? The good kind, or the Devil's kind?

Vera
07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Fine I'll respond

His particular brand of chaos is very carefully planned. Does he really want total anarchy? No, he wants there to be a system in place for him to screw with. Without it he'd be bored and have no purpose.
Trufax. Which is one of the many things I feel like ppl will misunderstand about this character.

The joker lies constantly. There's many examples I could give, but it should really be obvious. For one thing he always gives a different account of how he got his scars. You just can't form an adequate profile of him from what you hear him say in the movie. You have to take it further.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I see his different stories about how he got his scars as lies, but rather as things he tells people to build the mythos of this character he is playing. It's also a method of intimidation. I think he enjoys watching people squirm. But he does lie, too, of course. A lot.

And what makes him a truly terrifying character is not that someone like that could exist to threaten my way of life, but rather that I can understand how a person could become like that.
This bit I disagree with. I don't see any way for me anybody to become like the Joker, because I don't think people simply develop sadistic psychotic tendencies. Philosophically I can see how his sort of thinking would be developed but the killings, not so much. I don't know. *shrug*

The Incredible Hulk had good kind of nudity if you like Edward Norton. And well, who doesn't?

Moose
07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Can anyone explain how the Joker can make such great explosives and be so brilliant? As well as to how and why he is a maniac?

...I understand what that person is saying...nothing was really explained about the Joker, although he is still a very cool villian in both batman movies.

It would have been nice if we got a little closure on who the Joker is and as to why he is that way.

Also, it makes no sense when they say they have zero files on him and DNA...in the first batman, the Joker escaped from the mental institution, so how can they not know who he is?

...I just feel like the writer's passed up on all of the explaining of how the joker came to be and is.

In saying all that, this is a batman movie and I guess all of these details in the end, aren't that important.

However, I feel like it would have brought a lot more to the Joker's character and the movie...

...but it's still a good movie (although overrated,) and the Joker was done very well by Ledger. The movie could have had a different cutoff end-point. There are a few flaws, but overall, it is still a good movie.

EDIT:

First batman, as in first in this series.

Jebus
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Holy shit. Batman's raspy voice was ridiculously over the top. I couldn't take the movie seriously because of that one little thing. Joker was obviously great, but it bothers me that the main character's performance was completely overshadowed by the villain's.

Also, the only thing I could think of when batman dropped Joker off the building and caught him with was "why he didn't snap his neck?". It happened to Gwen Stacy with Spider-man. Why not with Joker?

jacknife737
07-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Also, it makes no sense when they say they have zero files on him and DNA...in the first batman, the Joker escaped from the mental institution, so how can they not know who he is?

I think Nolan just pretended that non of the previous batman movies ever happened, thus he/we don't really have to worry about continuity between the new and old films.

Moose
07-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I think Nolan just pretended that non of the previous batman movies ever happened, thus he/we don't really have to worry about continuity between the new and old films.

No no no, i meant in this batman series...in the first batman the joker escaped from the crazy house...remember at the end with the joker card? and when all the crazies escaped...

nieh
07-29-2008, 03:17 PM

By "the first Batman" I hope you're not referring to the one with Jack Nicholson.

Moose
07-29-2008, 03:19 PM
no...edit.

Sunny
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Angry green men pretty much suck but if you like Edward Norton sans shirt, it is quite the must see.

hm. now THAT is a powerful argument. ;p

nieh
07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
They never said in the first movie that the Joker escaped from the asylum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPae4PHFLSs

Moose
07-29-2008, 04:28 PM
i guess not...i guess i just kind of assumed that...i mean...it would kind of make sense.

...even so...anyone think not explaining anything was a cop out by the writers? (nolan bros)

0r4ng3
07-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one that's not at all bothered by Batman's voice? I feel like that's the one thing everyone finds wrong with the movie, but I don't get it.

Ninty Man
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
No no no, i meant in this batman series...in the first batman the joker escaped from the crazy house...remember at the end with the joker card? and when all the crazies escaped...

... He didn't escape from there... or at least is supposed to

IamSam
07-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Am I the only one that's not at all bothered by Batman's voice? I feel like that's the one thing everyone finds wrong with the movie, but I don't get it.

Really? I'm fine with it. I think he wants to disguise his voice from those who know him as Bruce Wayne; an individual who is under the scrutiney of the city because he is high up. Almost everyone has heard Bruce Wayne's voice, so why would he speak normal?

jacknife737
07-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Really? I'm fine with it. I think he wants to disguise his voice from those who know him as Bruce Wayne; an individual who is under the scrutiney of the city because he is high up. Almost everyone has heard Bruce Wayne's voice, so why would he speak normal?

That's what i've always thought; it just seems logical.

Out on Patrol
07-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I LOVE THE MOVIE!!!

I think it's the best of all!!! Of the 6, this is the best one!!!! :cool:

The Joker.. ohh amazing... i liked a lot Jack Nicholson's Joker, but this one... when he talks, that tic he makes... fantastic!!!

I like the 2 Batman's voices!!!

One think that makes you think is the past of the joker.. not even a single word on the film!!! Anyway, that was made on purpose, but i liked it!!! You know nothing bout him!!!

It's the movie of the year!!!!

nieh
07-29-2008, 07:04 PM

I have no problem with him disguising his voice. He didthat to some degree or another in almost every incarnation where you can actually hear his voice. I just think the voice Bale uses is ridiculous.

IamSam
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I have no problem with him disguising his voice. He didthat to some degree or another in almost every incarnation where you can actually hear his voice. I just think the voice Bale uses is ridiculous.

Ah...understandable.

Batman is cool.

Shut up, Enjoi.

Jebus
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Batman should have ran over Joker and prevented the second half of the movie. He'd be getting death row anyways. Stupid Batman.

Jakebert
07-29-2008, 08:11 PM
How come Batman doesn't dance anymore?

Mota Boy
07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Really? I'm fine with it. I think he wants to disguise his voice from those who know him as Bruce Wayne; an individual who is under the scrutiney of the city because he is high up. Almost everyone has heard Bruce Wayne's voice, so why would he speak normal?For some reason, I actually didn't mind the voice in this movie, I guess because I'd already heard it. I'd forgotten he used it, but once it came up I was more accepting, for the reasons you mentioned. I think a big problem, however, is that while it does "rage" or "intimidation" well, it's not really that great for any other emotions. I mean, the mask doesn't exactly help either. The character's also a bit hamstrung by the superhero role in that he has to be rather one-dimensional in his goodness and we keep getting hit over the head with the supreme nobility of his self-sacrifice.

But to be honest, I think there are some more complex things that I'd like to see explored that I didn't really feel were. Batman's obviously motivated by some feelings of guilt, but there's also pretty substantial ego in donning the cowl. The appearing/disappearing act is pretty cool, but it's also gratuitously self-indulgent. I'd kinda like to see that come out a bit more so he's not so singularly badass and noble.

Cock Joke
07-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Gary Busey has to play The Joker in the next movie. He's the only one who can follow Heath's performance.

Apathy
07-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Not funny. Not because I'm respecting the dead, just because it was dumb.

And because I'm a little cranky. I took the time to quote and respond to a lot of shit, and my Internet hit an error and shut it down. Sorry to anyone who I was planning on responding to. You've been snubbed.

Cock Joke
07-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Not funny. Not because I'm respecting the dead, just because it was dumb.

I um...wasn't trying to be funny. :confused:

Apathy
07-29-2008, 11:57 PM
In that case, Funny!

Paint_It_Black
07-30-2008, 01:31 AM
This bit I disagree with. I don't see any way for me anybody to become like the Joker, because I don't think people simply develop sadistic psychotic tendencies. Philosophically I can see how his sort of thinking would be developed but the killings, not so much. I don't know. *shrug*

Fair point. But there's probably plenty of people out there with those tendencies buried deep inside them, and all it takes is the right life experiences to bring it out.

Most serial killers are white males in their 30's, right? Until they kill their first victim they aren't killers. But the psychological markers have usually been there since childhood.

There could be a lot of really terrifying people wandering around out there who just haven't crossed the line yet. And maybe, with luck, they never will. But they could.

0r4ng3
07-30-2008, 06:11 AM
How come Batman doesn't dance anymore?
Because he's not EmoSpiderman.

Rag Doll
07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
All versions of spiderman dance (http://www2.b3ta.com/spidermanwillmakeyougay/)

Cock Joke
07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
In that case, Funny!

That ain't even the best part! (http://www.cinematical.com/2006/04/12/robin-williams-wants-to-be-the-joker/)

Llamas
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
Damn it, I came to this thread to post this picture, and then I see that it's already 0r4ng3's avatar... I'm so behind the times. But I'm posting it anyway cause I wanna.

http://9.media.collegehumor.com/collegehumor/ch6/9/b/collegehumor.ba8687f98e500f4364115cbbaf80f45c.jpg

Apathy
07-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Because he's not EmoSpiderman.

This was actually part of the long post I had that was deleted earlier. Almost the exact phrase.

That ain't even the best part!
I already knew that. I don't know if that article goes into it, but I've heard that he also wanted in for '89 before losing out to Jack.

Thomas
07-31-2008, 12:03 AM
Actually, Robin Williams might be pretty good as the joker, when I think about it. hmmm...

Jakebert
07-31-2008, 10:14 AM
If they do the Riddler in the third movie, it needs to be Michael Emerson playing it like a creepy serial killer instead of a flamboyant douche.

jacknife737
07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
If they do the Riddler in the third movie, it needs to be Michael Emerson playing it like a creepy serial killer instead of a flamboyant douche.

If they do include the Riddler, i hope to God they don't turn it into something like Saw. But I do agree with you, the less Jim Carrey influence, the better.

Although i'm pretty sure if they don't go with either the Joker or Two Face (assuming he lived) the villain(s) won't be from any of the previous movies.

Jakebert
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Wait, are you saying Saw because Michael Emerson was in Saw or just as a generic statement? Because I hate Saw, I was thinking more in line of Emerson playing it like he does Ben from Lost. A very egocentric, manipulative character with an incredibly creepy dark streak, which fits in line with a lot of famous serial killers.

The Riddler can't be flamboyant because it'll seem like The Joker pt II. I was thinking like the Zodiac killer, Ted Bundy, or any other serial killer that gives clues to the media due to narcassism.

But yeah, I would also like to see a character that we haven't seen in the movies yet. The problem with Batman is that a large number of the villians couldn't actually be done in a Nolan movie. Maybe the villian should be CRAZY QUILT! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Quilt)

jacknife737
07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Wait, are you saying Saw because Michael Emerson was in Saw or just as a generic statement? Because I hate Saw, I was thinking more in line of Emerson playing it like he does Ben from Lost. A very egocentric, manipulative character with an incredibly creepy dark streak, which fits in line with a lot of famous serial killers.

No, just a general statement; but protraying the Riddler like you suggest could make for a very interesting film.

Ninty Man
07-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Actually, Robin Williams might be pretty good as the joker, when I think about it. hmmm...

NO, FUCK NO!!!. XD Sorry, I think that Paul Bettaney could be great as Joker, I mean, he has the psycho look.

The Riddler thing... Well, it has being rumored-did I write it in the correct way?- that Johnny Depp could be The Riddler...

Jakebert
07-31-2008, 07:09 PM
I really hope not. I'm not a big Johnny Depp fan to begin with (yeah, I know, I'm the one person in the world), but he'd be totally wrong for the style Nolan has going. I'm sure he'd play the flamboyant/playful version of the Riddler, which would just plain suck.

Granted, no one expected Ledger to make sense as Joker, but still, no Johnny Depp, please.

Endymion
07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
(yeah, I know, I'm the one person in the world)

gay for johnny depp? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrlkKIxynCw)

Apathy
07-31-2008, 08:48 PM
Proof that comic book fans know nothing about movies (http://www.marvel.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=96542&sid=731d0fd7db73f6c76396ed639c76019a)

The_BlackSwordsman
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
That's a fair assessment based on what we're given, but if you're willing to think about it a little further you can get a lot more out of it.

For one thing, is he really an anarchist? The Joker claims he's not a schemer. He doesn't make plans. He's a dog chasing cars, right? Bullshit. He's the biggest schemer we've seen so far. He plans everything intricately. The bus at the beginning of the movie showed that immediately. Later, his escape from jail made it undeniable. His particular brand of chaos is very carefully planned. Does he really want total anarchy? No, he wants there to be a system in place for him to screw with. Without it he'd be bored and have no purpose.

I get the feeling he was severely wronged in some way, and now he's taking it out on the world. Much like Batman suffered a personal tragedy and chose to protect others, I think the Joker suffered something equally traumatic and chose to make others suffer as he had.

I don't even think he's insane actually. Not in the usual sense. I think he's created an elaborate character to play, much like Bruce Wayne has, and he's simply playing out the character. The difference is that he possibly never STOPS playing that role he's created. For me this ties in with my belief that he's a master of making plans, and his sanity is merely different to the normal kind, rather than being insane. Of course, insanity is just a legal term anyway. If you really want to discuss his mental state then that term is not even close to adequate. He clearly knows right from wrong and makes a conscious choice to do bad things. That's actually one pretty good definition of evil. In contrast, Two-Face cannot be considered evil, and is a much better candidate to be labeled as insane.

The Joker has a background, we just don't know it. He has or has had problems, we just don't know them. And he certainly has feelings. He shows a deep contempt for normal people and normal society. He treats Batman as an equal, because Batman is not a normal person. Batman has also opted not to merely live a mundane bullshit existence in a mundane bullshit world, and the Joker respects that. The only time you can really believe the Joker means what he is saying is when he's talking to Batman. It gives us the best glimpse in to his true feelings. And don't forget that when he was in jail he became truly agitated for the only time in the entire film. He wanted his phone call, and when he wasn't getting it he became genuinely pissed, because his entire plan hinged upon it. The reason he's usually able to act so crazy and carefree is because he's absolutely confident that he knows exactly what's going to happen next. Throw a wrench in to his plans and you'll start to break that and see more of a human in him. He wants to make other people feel like they are living in utter chaos, but he wants it to all go according to his carefully made plan. It's all part of his act.

I also disagree that he doesn't have "real" motives. Sure, he doesn't care about money or taking over the world. But like Alfred says, some men just want to watch as the world burns. The Joker has motives that are far more pure than your average mundane motives. He's not looking for personal gain. He wants to make the world burn, because he thinks the world deserves it. He's most likely looking for payback for something. And the humor? Simply put, he gets the joke. He gets that all of it, everything, is one big joke. All of our plans, all of our hopes, all of our sense of security. It really suggests to me he's a man who lost everything and can now see the funny side. He wants you to see the funny side too.

And he does care if he lives or dies. He just knows that the "good" guys aren't going to kill him. When dealing with other criminals he takes a little more care to ensure his own safety, such as wearing explosives to the meeting. Though I do believe he'd like Batman to kill him, simply because it would give him his ultimate victory over Batman, and his personal game with Batman has become more interesting to him than the big game he is playing in general. But he still doesn't think Batman really will, and as always he's right.

To sum up, I find the Joker to be definitively evil, highly intelligent, deeply passionate and as motivated as it is possible for anyone to be. And what makes him a truly terrifying character is not that someone like that could exist to threaten my way of life, but rather that I can understand how a person could become like that. Obviously not the excessive theatricality of this character, but certainly a real-life variation. Like they said in the movie, Batman changed the rules. The presence of a theatrically extreme crime fighter allowed for the presence of a theatrically extreme villain. But the underlying psychology is all too believable. It resonates with my own darker side that I keep securely locked away. And the Joker believes that darker side of all of us can be unlocked shockingly easily. And he may be right.

Woah, dude. Like, deep and shit.

Ha! A fellow who understands who the Joker is! :D

The movie was great. The Joker MAY seem a little flat from only this movie, because there's just so much you can show in 2 hours, but even so they managed to convey his essence. Pretty much what Paint_It_Black said. And that's why he is one of the best characters ever. He's really complex actually, and his variations of humor make him truly unpredictable (he may just give you a fake bomb like in the bank heist one second, or stab you to death the next). He's the ultimate villain.

Apathy: there are the morons and the bright everywhere. I hate the stigma "comic book fans" have. ¨¨

Apathy
07-31-2008, 09:24 PM
It wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I'm a comic book fan myself. I was just making fun of the horrendus poll results.

Moose
07-31-2008, 09:39 PM
i like the post saying this happened and that happend with the joker...but for the movie to express and display those things would have been nice...it is really really difficult to do, especially in this type of film...and it is batman...so it gets a pass and in the end, no one really minds.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2008, 06:36 AM
I really hope not. I'm not a big Johnny Depp fan to begin with (yeah, I know, I'm the one person in the world), but he'd be totally wrong for the style Nolan has going.

Depp is a great actor. Just because he often plays a certain style doesn't mean he can't do anything else. Have you seen Donnie Brasco? Fantastic movie, with Depp playing a style we don't usually see from him. I think he could actually play an excellent Riddler and fit perfectly in to Nolan's style.

But still, Depp wouldn't be my first choice. I just think it's unfair to assume he couldn't do a good job of it though. Part of the reason why actors get stuck playing a certain style is because we, the viewing audience, start to expect it from them.

Considering Tim Burton directed the 1989 Batman movie I'm amazed Johnny Depp hasn't already been in a Batman movie. And that one annoying British bitch. Helena-Bonsomething-whatever.

Paint_It_Black
08-01-2008, 06:40 AM
I was thinking more in line of Emerson playing it like he does Ben from Lost. A very egocentric, manipulative character with an incredibly creepy dark streak, which fits in line with a lot of famous serial killers.

The Riddler can't be flamboyant because it'll seem like The Joker pt II. I was thinking like the Zodiac killer, Ted Bundy, or any other serial killer that gives clues to the media due to narcassism.

I had somehow missed this before. I think you've hit the nail right on the head with that. If we do get the Riddler, he'll be like that.

Lupin
08-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Maybe a return to the whole "Bane" thing that was so wonderfully shat upon in B&R. That would be interesting.
So long as 'Robin' & 'Robin Williams' keep away...forever

Thomas
08-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Or they could pick Jon Heder to do the Riddler...

nieh
08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Someone suggested that the person that discovered Bruce Wayne was Batman in this movie might become the Riddler in the next one which isn't completely unbelievable, though his personality would probably be tweaked a bit for the next movie if that were the case.

lost_nvrfound
08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I wanna see this movie so badly

WebDudette
08-02-2008, 12:16 AM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/1217661026165.jpg
I'll assume its not real but interesting none the less.

Ninty Man
08-02-2008, 07:17 PM
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a145/SystemSloth/1217661026165.jpg
I'll assume its not real but interesting none the less.

MMM is not real... but is a pretty fucking decent fake

Gotham Knights??? nah, it should be only Gotham Knight, not the plural stuff

WebDudette
08-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I recently found out it is part of a straight to DVD Batman animated thing. It has 6 short films that take place between 'Batman Begins' and 'the Dark Knight'.

nieh
08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
That was Gotham Knight, and the Riddler wasn't in it as far as I know.

WebDudette
08-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Hmm... then back to if being a fake. I haven't seen it but I assumed it was related because the title on the picture is Gotham Knights.

Apathy
08-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Someone suggested that the person that discovered Bruce Wayne was Batman in this movie might become the Riddler in the next one which isn't completely unbelievable, though his personality would probably be tweaked a bit for the next movie if that were the case.

He already has some of the personality. He intended to blackmail Bruce initially of course.

My main problem with this idea is that he doesn't have the right name. Which doesn't really seem like something that should be changed in a movie.

Paint_It_Black
08-03-2008, 12:48 AM
The name thing could still work. He could, for example, choose to use the name Edward Nigma for his villain persona. The name "Riddler" could be something the media calls him. That would be fairly realistic. More realistic than a guy whose real name is Edward Nigma.

I really don't expect that employee to grow in to an important character though. There was nothing cool about him from what we've seen so far, and I am pretty sure they'd want a somewhat known actor to play a major villain. It's a shame though, because it could be cool.

Lodat225
08-03-2008, 09:34 AM
I KNEW I saw that guy somewhere! The guy who was going to blackmail Bruce...

That's So Raven. <3

He was the one with the extremely stanky BO. <3

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't think Reese is played by a big enough actor to hold down the Riddler role, but maybe he'll end up being a secondary villain? I mean, this guy has been in every cop/CSI/etc. drama on TV, but that doesn't mean he'll transition well to the big screen. He's too babyfaced. He's a supporting actor. The best friend, not the leading man.

I just saw the next Harry Potter movie trailer and peed a little with excitement. But seeing Dumbledore brought up a good point in my mind. HP could not possibly write Dumbledore out of the script after the actor playing him died, but conveniently there had been all these LOTR movies and Gandalf looks enough like Dumbledore to make that transition work well. Just because Heath Ledger died, they cannot possibly write Joker, Batman's chief arch nemesis, out of the script. They will have to re-cast him. It will be controversial, as I agree that Ledger's reading of the character is the one that all future Jokers will have to play from and be measured against, but they have to do it.

WebDudette
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes, new Harry Potter. Can't wait!

Vera
08-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I just saw the next Harry Potter movie trailer and peed a little with excitement. But seeing Dumbledore brought up a good point in my mind. HP could not possibly write Dumbledore out of the script after the actor playing him died, but conveniently there had been all these LOTR movies and Gandalf looks enough like Dumbledore to make that transition work well. Just because Heath Ledger died, they cannot possibly write Joker, Batman's chief arch nemesis, out of the script. They will have to re-cast him. It will be controversial, as I agree that Ledger's reading of the character is the one that all future Jokers will have to play from and be measured against, but they have to do it.

Except Gandalf's actor Ian McKellen isn't the new Dumbledore (would've been all too appropriate, though!), Michael Gambon is the new Dumbledore, replacing Richard Harris. Stop confusing your old British dudes, Sarah!

And honestly, I don't know. The comparison is not too apt. Dumbledore is a typical wise old man character, whose characteristics are hidden behind age and a big beard. Most of the adult cast of HP are such veterans that they could sleepwalk through the roles and people would still think they did a good job. To be honest I prefer the new Dumbledore because Gambon brings out the eccentricity of the character but then, that could just be the script.

Anyway, in comparison to Ledger's Joker, he went really deep into this role, you could say oddly method for a character in a comic movie. The lipsmacking, the voice, the way of speaking.. A radio DJ I listen to did a dead-on Joker impersonation the other day that reminded me just how unique Ledger made this character into (with a lot of credit given to the director, obviously).

Also, were people quoting Dumbledore? Were people invested in the character? Ledger's Joker has been making his mark, even in such a small period of time. The replacement would have big shoes to fill - I'm unsure whether it could work and I'm unsure whether they have to do it. They're striving for "realism", after all. Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Except Gandalf's actor Ian McKellen isn't the new Dumbledore (would've been all too appropriate, though!), Michael Gambon is the new Dumbledore, replacing Richard Harris. Stop confusing your old British dudes, Sarah!.....

.....The replacement would have big shoes to fill - I'm unsure whether it could work and I'm unsure whether they have to do it. They're striving for "realism", after all. Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.

Whatever, all old British dudes look the same! Michael Caine should play Dumbledore too. ;)

I just don't think it'd be realistic to say the Joker is locked away in Arkham for all eternity, especially since it's been established how good he is at getting himself out of situations by manipulating people. No doubt a replacement would have big shoes to fill, though.

Paint_It_Black
08-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Technically a realistic solution could well be that Joker never manages to escape Arkham and never manages to pester Batman again, at least not in the full force that he did previously.

Realistic perhaps, but not believable in this case. The Joker could escape from pretty much anywhere given enough time. And though I've never read comic books, I've done a little research while bored at work, and in the comics it's established that the Joker can leave Arkham any time he feels like it. He just stays there until it stops amusing him and then he leaves. They need to keep that in the movies. It's awesome.

The replacement would have big shoes to fill

Yeah, clown-sized you might say.

Can't believe nobody beat me to that.