PDA

View Full Version : I just posted for the first time this month.

XYlophonetreeZ
07-20-2008, 08:20 AM
That's not really a huge deal in itself. I've taken hiatuses from the boards before. However, when I looked at my post history, I was really surprised to see that I hadn't posted yet in July. Normally I'd take this as a positive sign that my IRL time is increasing in quality, but the thing is that I've still been checking the boards every single day. I've become a lurker. At the risk of sounding like one of those boring, repetitive threads bitching about how the BBS has gotten so much worse, I really just haven't found much interesting to discuss. Or I quite possibly just don't give a shit anymore.

My question to myself is, why can't I just quit altogether? I'd like to say it's just habit, since in the past whenever I've been at my computer to "check stuff," this has been my third stop after e-mail and facebook. I don't check it every time anymore, but I can't resist just stopping by to see if there are any new amusing topics, or if someone posted some good stuff in Other Bands, or even if we know what the second Offspring single is. I don't care about that stuff nearly enough to merit even 2 or 3 daily checkups, but I do it anyway.

My point is, I guess, I think I may be weaning myself off the BBS, but it's a slow, arduous process. I'm sure I'll be back posting more sometime, but for now I've sorta lost interest.

Piss.

Andy
07-20-2008, 08:41 AM
I must say, I'm starting to feel the same. I've not stopped posting altogether; but my count is decreasing significantly and I am turning into a 'lurker' myself.

This happens every so often, normally once every two years or so. I'm confident it'll be back to it's scathing, ironic best in a month or so.

0r4ng3
07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I think this place will be a lot more appealing once the new album isn't "new" anymore.

Also, posts per day isn't related to what's interesting. When I first joined in 2005, it was at about 50, but none of those posts really had anything worth discussing. Nowadays it's down to 12 and falling.

Bipolar Bear
07-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah...it can be hard. When I want to quit I try to do it really rapidly, or else you sort of get stuck in the in-between mode.

Jebus
07-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Lately, I've gone days or weeks in between postings. My main source of post count used to come from Other Bands, but my interest in music has declined heavily so I barely post anymore. I do still lurk maybe about every other day. I'm not planning on quitting the BBS any time soon though. I still like this place.

nieh
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
My main source of post count used to come from Other Bands, but my interest in music has declined heavily so I barely post anymore.

I think the real problem is that there's not enough posts about Buckethead anymore.

Vera
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
So how's the rl stuff, Xylo? Still studying Tamizh?

XYlophonetreeZ
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm not entirely sure why I still check this forum most days when I haven't posted since 2006...
Wow. That's terrifying.

I think the real problem is that there's not enough posts about Buckethead anymore.
I think you mean DIEMBAG!!!!!! NEVAR 4GET!!!

So how's the rl stuff, Xylo? Still studying Tamizh?
I've been slacking off big time. I should get back into that shit.

Cock Joke
07-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I think the board has gotten much better lately. Not a lot of bickering and some really fun members!

Llamas
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM
I think the board has gotten much better lately. Not a lot of bickering and some really fun members!

You'd think that would add up to a good time... but there's a distinct lack of interesting topics or discussion.

holland25
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Says the one who quoted himself on his sig.

Little_Miss_1565
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
If there's nothing you'd like to discuss...how about posting a thread about something you would like?

JohnnyNemesis
07-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Or just post because I love that sig so very, very much <3

Llamas
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
If there's nothing you'd like to discuss...how about posting a thread about something you would like?

I assume this was directed at me. And the thing is, I suck at making threads. Anything I think is interesting usually tends to fail a lot. So I generally don't make threads that often.

It's not anyone's fault that there's nothing worth discussing, either. I just agree that the place hasn't made me want to post a lot lately, minus the occasional thread.

Betty
07-20-2008, 07:37 PM
I've always been guilty of not creating good threads.* And I always tell myself I'll make the effort. Maybe this week will be the week guys! I have been posting more lately! And then sometimes I get discouraged when I spend like half an hour replying to a thread and then NOBODY replies after me. As my siblings used to say to me "Michelle, you always ruin the moment." So then I decide it's just really not worth my effort.

But I'm with you Jon, I still cling to this community, and even if I'm not posting, I'm always lurking.

I WILL say however that some of the stupid threads are getting to me. I think I'd rather have the BBS be dead than to have that postcount++ thread hanging around.

*Edit: Sorry, not that my threads aren't good, I just never create them.

JohnnyNemesis
07-20-2008, 07:39 PM
The key to starting successful threads is similar to the key to finding a romantic partner or whatever: don't stress it.

Seriously. Don't try to make a thread. Just make one if you feel like it, if something funny or interesting or something you wanna share just hits your noggin. Don't try to hit on that hottie over there; just walk over and start chatting. Be eeeeeeeasy!

Betty
07-20-2008, 07:43 PM
But what if you're just a passive person?

Okay, Rick, I will start a thread just for you, and if it fails my confidence may be crushed forever.

Bipolar Bear
07-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I've always been guilty of not creating good threads.* And I always tell myself I'll make the effort. Maybe this week will be the week guys! I have been posting more lately! And then sometimes I get discouraged when I spend like half an hour replying to a thread and then NOBODY replies after me. As my siblings used to say to me "Michelle, you always ruin the moment." So then I decide it's just really not worth my effort.

But I'm with you Jon, I still cling to this community, and even if I'm not posting, I'm always lurking.

I WILL say however that some of the stupid threads are getting to me. I think I'd rather have the BBS be dead than to have that postcount++ thread hanging around.

*Edit: Sorry, not that my threads aren't good, I just never create them.

Don't worry, it's not because nobody replies that no one reads and appreciates it. It really shows when someone takes his time to write his post and reread it (I don't do that enough...but I really should), and I remember thinking how your posts were well structured and though-out.

But hey, I hope you don't mean that about the postcount++ thread. It's really just a place where you can get a quick laugh or post about anything you like, even if it's completely random and irrelevant. If you don't like it, you can always simply not read it.

Ps: LINES R SEXY LUL
------------------------------=-=-=-=-=-================

JohnnyNemesis
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
But what if you're just a passive person?

Okay, Rick, I will start a thread just for you, and if it fails my confidence may be crushed forever.

Your self esteem is in my hands...muahahahhaa

wheelchairman
07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
I think Michelle should upload more music for me and tizz.

Betty
07-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Ahhhhh! Okay I will! Actually that's true. I often feel like my music contributions go underappreciated as well, but you and Tizz almost always download it and like it!

wheelchairman
07-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Great. :)

Sometimes your music doesn't really click immediately. Like Neko Case. However I heard the song recently and like it much more than I did whenever it was you uploaded it.

Tizzalicious
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM
I did love Neko Case right away though!

And I agree with Per, Michelle. We <3 your music, and we need more.

Llamas
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I bought a Neko Case album (Blacklisted) a couple months ago, due to seeing her name on here frequently... it hasn't grown on me, I've yet to be impressed. :-/ Did I get a lame album?

Jebus
07-21-2008, 02:30 PM
This is also true. Actually, I haven't really kept up with Buckethead since Enter the Chicken. I just checked out his wiki and apparently he released 28 new albums since then, which is quite confusing.

Tired_Of_You
07-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't think you did, Brianna. I like Neko Case as well. Although I prefer Fox Confessor Brings the Flood, I really like the 3 songs I have from The Tigers Have Spoken. I don't have all the songs from Blacklisted, but some are pretty good.

Back on topic, I've been a lurker for months, I'd even say that it's been at least a year. Definitely. It seems like I've had ~5000 posts forever. I don't have anything to write and I've never been good at starting threads. Or I was not in the past. I don't know. I haven't started one for such a long time. I come here everyday, I read a few threads, but I don't post much anymore. It's not even that I don't have the time at the moment.

mrconeman
07-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Feel exactly the same. Firstly I got a job a few months ago so there was a natural dip, but yeah I feel less and less compelled to post.

-Sheree-
07-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Yea, I know completely w/ you mean...I've been back and forth from this board over the space of about 2 years...I dont know why but I always come back....usually as a lurker because as everyone's been saying, there really isn't many interesting topics about :/

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I bought a Neko Case album (Blacklisted) a couple months ago, due to seeing her name on here frequently... it hasn't grown on me, I've yet to be impressed. :-/ Did I get a lame album?
I've only heard Fox Confessor Brings the Wind, that's a good album. Naturally it's all a matter of taste though. Usually I download an album before I buy one though.

Betty
07-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Re: Neko Case (even though this is getting pretty off topic)

I'm actually not even a particularly big fan. I mildly enjoyed the album, particularly enjoyed a couple songs. That's what I do though... listen to a bunch of random (well semi-random) albums and if I don't like the whole thing, just take all the good songs and make mix CDs.