PDA

View Full Version : Don't mean to sound disrespectful....

KHWHD
07-20-2008, 07:32 PM
... but I've read a few replies here and there that really make me laugh. I laugh at some of the people on here that say they've been fans since they were like 4, 5, 6 years old. Ok, I am 33 years old and I barely remember stuff from last year let alone when I was a very young child. Sorry, but in my honest opinion, you haven't been a "die hard fan" since you were that young. Early teens, yes, that I can see but not that young. :D

Budzy
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
since 2000 buddy.
8 years ago so i was 8 years old.
sry to burst ur bubbles but thats the truth. I got my hands on conspiracy of one, learnt all the lyrics within a month, and used to have my stereo really quietly while it played Huck It because they swear in it and i didnt wan't my parents to hear it. hahaha

KHWHD
07-20-2008, 07:38 PM
since 2000 buddy.
8 years ago so i was 8 years old.
sry to burst ur bubbles but thats the truth. I got my hands on conspiracy of one, learnt all the lyrics within a month, and used to have my stereo really quietly while it played Huck It because they swear in it and i didnt wan't my parents to hear it. hahaha

I am female. And I didn't say 8 years old.

Little_Miss_1565
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Odd, perhaps, but why so weird to you? Plenty of people have had older siblings who pass CDs along so why does it seem so hard to believe?

Budzy
07-20-2008, 07:42 PM
I am female. And I didn't say 8 years old.

i never said anything about u being male/female?

brothadave79
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
I remember listening to Dookie when I was 8 years old and I thought it was phenomenal. So that doesn't seem weird to me. I have to agree, still, that 4 and 5 years old is really pushing it for being a fan of a rock band beyond your parents playing the records and dressing you in tiny band t-shirts.

KHWHD
07-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Odd, perhaps, but why so weird to you? Plenty of people have had older siblings who pass CDs along so why does it seem so hard to believe?

Because no one remembers stuff from when they're 3 years old. And if so, I'm sure it's just tiny bits of things.

Little_Miss_1565
07-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Because no one remembers stuff from when they're 3 years old. And if so, I'm sure it's just tiny bits of things.

I'm 23 and I remember plenty from when I was 3. No idea what I ate for breakfast yesterday, but I do remember things from then. It's also much easier to remember things when they are still going on; like, the people who say they've been fans since they were so young are still fans so it's more likely they would remember. Otherwise, they just woke up one morning and liked this band and have no recollection of why or how.

Bipolar Bear
07-20-2008, 07:56 PM
... but I've read a few replies here and there that really make me laugh. I laugh at some of the people on here that say they've been fans since they were like 4, 5, 6 years old. Ok, I am 33 years old and I barely remember stuff from last year let alone when I was a very young child. Sorry, but in my honest opinion, you haven't been a "die hard fan" since you were that young. Early teens, yes, that I can see but not that young. :D

I agree, at that age you don't even know what a bass is... you can like to listen to their music, but hell, being a diehard fan at 5 years old is pushing it. I started really understanding music at about 12, before that I just didn't really care. Those types of replies make me laugh too.

8 years old or so perhaps...still odd but definitely more plausible. At least 7 years and older, before that you barely realize the fact that you exist...

KrispyNotKrunchy
07-20-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I understand what you're saying and I agree. When I was like 5 years old, I listened to country music because my parents listened to country music. When I turned about 7 or 8, because pretty much all I'd ever heard was country, I decided that I hated all music. At about 10, I realized that not ALL music sucked and started listening to rock. At 14, Americana came out and I discovered the Offspring as the greatest band to ever walk this Earth and still believe so to this day.

My point is when you're THAT young, you don't know what music is, really. You like what you're told that you like and that's it...

P.S. - My mom would always brag that I had a crush on Dolly Pardon... hmmm

randman21
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Dude, do you have any idea how many 4- and 5-year-old Michael Jackson super fans there are?

I don't take offense at the topic, but no one can really say if I was a fan of Offspring at 5 (I wasn't, more like 15).

Cock Joke
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I remember back in 1994, I must've been 5-6 years old, and I'd hear Offspring on the radio. It was only COAP & GGA. And, I guess I liked 'em, I dunno. I wasn't a true fan until I was 16.

The point is, is that maybe the people who say that they were fans since they were in that age group are heavily exaggerating. I'm not speaking for everybody when I say that, but probably most people.

Ryder1234
07-20-2008, 08:52 PM
i remember them in... 2000. i am so die hard. at least the first song i heard was genocide.
i only really became a fan when i was 11, and now i'm 14.

wheelchairman
07-20-2008, 09:19 PM
I think the idea is that if you're in your early teens then it's more plausible that you made a conscious choice based on your own developing tastes in music, while if you were younger then it was a choice based less in musical taste and more in some other factor.

I would tend to agree but it's not something I would care about. People are also gonna lie about how long they've been fans because they think it'll give them cred on here.

darea
07-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I was 11 in 1994 and it was my older sister who had told me about them. But my friends (my age) had also heard Come out and play, cause they listened to the radio, not me. Anyway, even 11 in (in the early 90s at least, or just in my case) it was difficult to start being really fan of a band (also because that was the crappy dance music and boys band period). I was a fan of Michael Jackson before I was 10 though. and I still am. I guess I started liking him when I was about 6 or 7 and not because my parents listened to him (although they liked his music too) but because a friend of theirs gave my sister some tapes of his and we all loved it.

What I mean is I rented out the whole album and became a fan straight away. Just a year after, I got all excited because I recognized the offspring (smash it up) on batman forever and rushed to buy the cd. I didnt buy all the other offspring albums till americana came out, but it doesnt mean I hadnt been a fan up until then and till now. Cause you can be a fan and not buy all the albums.

I also agree with Little Miss 1565, I can recognise things from when I was 4. Like thats the year I started learning how to read and write and I wrote my first (crappy) poem. I dont just remember because I wrote stuff and recorded myself, but I also remember things, I have flashbacks, images in my head of since I was at least 4 up until now, I cant say exactly what age I was, but I know that the memories from I was 4 were really when I was four, because thats when I was in kindergarten (maternelle) and thats how old I was at the time.

So even though the early teens is a time when you're most likely to be consciouly a fan, I was totally conscious of being a Michael Jackson fan when I was 6 or 7, all the other music I listened to was never as special to me as MJ's music, at the time.

Short_Attention_Span
07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
I also agree with Little Miss 1565, I can recognise things from when I was 4.

Wow, I'm kind of jealous. I don't remember anything from when I was that young.

As far as the age thing goes, I agree with Cock Joke and Wheelchairman and that there are a lot of people who'll exaggerate about it. It's silly. I got into the band when I was 16-17, does that really make me any less of a fan of the music? Come on.
________
DIGITAL VAPORIZER (http://digitalvaporizers.info)

Conspiracyof1000
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Like I've said before, I'd been listening to them before but never knew who they were. I've been a fan since '05, so I was...12? I think...maybe 13. Somewhere around there.

KHWHD
07-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Wow, I'm kind of jealous. I don't remember anything from when I was that young.

As far as the age thing goes, I agree with Cock Joke and Wheelchairman and that there are a lot of people who'll exaggerate about it. It's silly. I got into the band when I was 16-17, does that really make me any less of a fan of the music? Come on.

I didn't say it didn't make you or anyone else less of a fan. I said in your teens, you tend to understand music better and comprehend exactly what it is you're listening to as opposed to when you're very young. Understand?

SeanAshmore
07-21-2008, 02:05 AM
Well I think the argument is ludicrous. I have been a fan since i was a fetus. My mum went for her ultrasounds and all she and the staff could here was the intro to the kids arent alright (nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah na na na), or sometimes when i was calmer, they would hear the intro to half-truism sung over and over again as if it were some lullaby. How hardcore am i? Songs that wernt even written yet, or even thought of. That could be my new catchphrase "I AM FETAL-FAN!!".

Free?
07-21-2008, 03:08 AM
It also depends on what your parents/older brothers or sisters listen. If your family was listening to The Offspring when you were 3 then it's very probable that you'll grow up as a fan since when you were 3. But it's very uncommon family to have, so in most cases I wouldn't believe "die-hard-fans-since-they-were-3". I'm a fan for 10 years, started with Pretty Fly when I was 15.

Half-Truist
07-21-2008, 05:00 AM
... Ok, I am 33 years old and I barely remember stuff from last year let alone when I was a very young child.

I agree with you.. I don't even remember what I ate yesterday:D

-=Xander=-
07-21-2008, 05:15 AM
This thread should be closed for the opening post being posted by a moron.

I was 4 when I discovered the offspring -I remember it was the film clip of self esteem on Rage (Australian music program) and I was sold since then.

danitanev
07-21-2008, 07:16 AM
You're absolutely right! I hate somebody saying - I was 5 year old boy or girl while I was listening to Smash and then I became the hardest diehard hardcore (oh, this is getting way too hard) Offspring fan ever! I couldn't read I could only hardly speak and I don't remember what else I had done but listening to The Offspring! :D

danitanev
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Yeah, right a little kid-genius! Give us a break! ;)

I was 4 when I discovered the offspring -I remember it was the film clip of self esteem on Rage (Australian music program) and I was sold since then.

Rooster
07-21-2008, 07:38 AM
Why someone wouldn't be able to remember that? My oldest memory is from when i was 1 year old and i fell down the stairs in our house. I remember the drive to the hospital that day (well, night actually), and the orange lights at the exit from the highway. And i've got tons of memories from when i was 4 and later 5 years old. It is possible to remember these things (at least for some people). I was an Offspring fan since 9 though, i didn't start so early, and i didn't become fan by hearing Pretty Fly, but by hearing Have You Ever and other fast songs, and i loved (and still do) the vocal harmonies...

KHWHD
07-21-2008, 07:46 AM

I lol'd @ that. Defensive much?

zsk
07-21-2008, 08:11 AM

I'm 14,at 5. august i'm 15
first i was an offspring fan (11)
than zsk,nofx,blink182 (12)-to young to think clear;)
and on my 13 birthday i was again an offspring fan!
i know i'm one of the youngest fans but this isn't a problem for me...

Redjie
07-21-2008, 09:07 AM
That's interesting. Of course we can't say we were fans of a band when we were 3 or 4 yars old. Though I feel I know bands sice I was born because I remember listen to them since ever. Not my fault mom and dad forced me to "listen" to AC/DC and Dire Straits. But we can say that when we're 7 right? It's not like I've been an hardcore fan since I was 7 but I can't deny I knew Pretty Fly and Americana pretty well and was even afraid of singing it in front of my parents because of that "Well, fuck you" line. And for about 2 years I didn't even knew who were offspring, I just knew they had kick ass songs. I started to care about them when CO1 came out. But I still remember screaming and shouting their songs on my father's old jeep when I was only 7. So I guess, it is possible :cool:.

Out on Patrol
07-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I think that until 11 12 13 years old, you don't have any idea of what music is and what do you like exactly.

I remember for example listening to some songs from Fito Paez, Lerner, (from argentina :P), or Guns N' Roses (eg. Used to Love Her), when being 4 or 5, and I liked them at that age. But, being a FAN???

Nah, in don't believe those who say so.

Capricorn4
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't think that someone in the age of 5 or 6 are actually die-hard fans,but I believe they could have some memories about what type of music did they prefer,or hear because of other family members.
I myself became a fan when I was 15.When I was 5-6,I rather cared about other things than punkrock music:).

brothadave79
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
I think some people are confusing the ability to retain memories from the first few years of their life with the ability to consciously follow a band and appreciate their discography. I remember hearing the Monkees and Michael Bolton on the radio growing up, but I don't consider myself a fan of theirs. Even if I liked both acts today, I wouldn't say that was the beginning of my fan-dom.

Same way that even though I heard and liked Offspring songs that my cousin played in 1994 (when I was 8) I still don't consider being a fan of theirs until I was 12 or 13 when I borrowed a friend's copy of Americana and bought Co1 the following year.

Rutegard
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

i've been since i was 11....and it just hit me hard!!

Stylie
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
i've been since i was 11....and it just hit me hard!!
Like BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

Conspiracyof1000
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Like BOOOOOOOM SHAKALAKA!

That's what happened in '05 when I heard Want You Bad.
Don't kill me because that was the song that got me into The Offspring. I still like it a bunch.

Stylie
07-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Don't kill me because that was the song that got me into The Offspring. I still like it a bunch.
Don't worry, I like it too. I don't understand why so many is against that song. ..or, maybe, but I like that kidn of music too.

PunksKillEmos
07-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Hey welcome to the boards, we can all tell you joined this month, no need to be bold.

Jules69
07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Good to have you here!! Someone else closer to my own age!! I will be 39 in early november.:eek:

Ryder1234
07-21-2008, 06:07 PM

you think thats bad? yeah i heard Genocide first, but it wasnt till '05 that i bought greatest hits. and you know what songs i bought it for? Hit That, Pretty Fly, and Original Prankster! :p

then i heard the rest of the songs and was like "these songs is shite!"

Stylie
07-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Good to have you here!! Someone else closer to my own age!! I will be 39 in early november.:eek:
Good to have some older "blod" too. :)

KHWHD
07-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey welcome to the boards, we can all tell you joined this month, no need to be bold.

What's that suppose to mean?

KHWHD
07-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Yay!! I hear you. Nice to "meet" you!!

Conspiracyof1000
07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
What's that suppose to mean?

I dunno, you've been posting here for a while....I don't think he noticed your other posts...

KHWHD
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I dunno, you've been posting here for a while....I don't think he noticed your other posts...

God only knows I have lots to talk about. :p Remember, I am female... and we are known to never shut up. :D

Conspiracyof1000
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah. Sometimes I'll just ramble on and on and on and on and on and on *gets shot*

Bipolar Bear
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM

What the fuck, be more respectful. It's not because someone is new to the forums that their opinion is less worthy. She wasn't trying to be bold or impress anyone...seriously.

mr.titters
07-22-2008, 04:41 AM
I was a die hard AC/DC fan at the age of 6. Does that count? I would ditch my friends to sit at home and listen to AC/DC tapes for fuck sake. Probably why I'm a complete outcast but still, it is possible to be a die hard fan of a band at any age. Maybe just for me...meh

Out on Patrol
07-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I was a die hard AC/DC fan at the age of 6. Does that count? I would ditch my friends to sit at home and listen to AC/DC tapes for fuck sake. Probably why I'm a complete outcast but still, it is possible to be a die hard fan of a band at any age. Maybe just for me...meh

It came to my mind.. the image of a 6-year old kid doing the "duckwalk"; dressed like Angus Young with a little guitar :D

nameless
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
i cant really believe people could be fans of the band at 4-5 years old. surely listening to the music and learning the lyrics you couldnt have really understood the meaning of the songs or repeated them.

at that age theres no way i would be listening to entire albums by bands and forming any lasting opinion of their music.

Rag Doll
07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
When I was growing up my mom's favorite band was Aerosmith. So, I remember being very young (I still lived in my old house so I was 5 or younger) and waking up and seeing my mom watch Aerosmith on SNL and getting all excited and chanting "Aerosmith! Aerosmith!". I started listening to tapes of them at around 5-6 and sometime around 8 I had all the cds they had released up until that time (1994). I knew their songs and would sing along with the lyrics. Now, obviously I didn't know what the songs meant (at 6, it's probably for the best you don't understand "down on the muffin"), but I still enjoyed them. Now, I'm 22 and I still list them as one of my favorite bands.

So, contrary to what other users say....I did enjoy the music, did listen to full albums, and did form lasting opinions of the music.