PDA

View Full Version : Man purse?

Betty
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
So something I was thinking about...

Girls get to have a purse. Guys are stuck with their pockets. And there are options... like a fanny pack... or perhaps the Jack Bauer/emo kid satchel... but there is usually social stigma surrounding these accessories.

http://thesatchelpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/jack-bauer-in-action.jpg

Guys, does this ever bother you? Do you ever think "Man, I wish I could more easily carry around a book and a pack of gum and some chapstick and a bottle of tylenol and my pocket change?" Should it be socially acceptable for men to carry purses? Or is it pretty much a non issue and boys don't actually care cause they prefer to travel on the fly?

Cock Joke
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Men do not carry purses. Nope. Uh-uh. Case closed.

JohnnyNemesis
07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
It is so funny you made this thread because this has been weighing heavily on my mind as of late. I go everywhere with this hulking backpack and i just look like a damn fool, but I need to have my books, somewhere to put my iPod, a notebook, my MacBook, some deodorant (yeah...), and a few other essentials on me at all times!

I've been considering switching over to the satchel as shown in that pic, and it's funny because my first reaction to the very idea (posed by my cousin) that it was like a purse was "BAGS CANNOT PERFORM GENDER YOU FUCKING MORON TOOL PIECE OF SHIT!!!", but when I actually tried one in the store I couldn't help but think "Hm. This...this don't feel quite right..."

I think I might make the switch anyway, 'cause I have a bad back and I hate carrying this stupid huge backpack with me everywhere. But I dunno.

0r4ng3
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
For most small stuff, I needn't worry because I wear cargo pants pretty much all the time.

When necessary, I bring a backpack.

wheelchairman
Yeah it did bother me that my pockets always looked bulky. So I generally go around with a satchel. There's no stigmas here in Europe though.

I suppose I could've used a backpack, but have you ever seen a person run in a backpack? They look retarded. That's why I dropped the backpack over like...5 years ago.

Betty
I feel like a heavy "satchel" would be worse for your back than a heavy backpack though.

I have world's hugest backpack that I bring everywhere (it may look familiar):

http://www.ichq.com/images/imagecache/targus_rgs012.jpg

And people make fun of me ALL the time cause it just looks so big on me. But I'm a huge nerd and I'm proud!

JohnnyNemesis
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
^My ex-gf says the same about the heavy satchel, and my ex-gf also walks around with a similar monstrosity on her back that I give/gave her tons of shit for. lolz.

wheelchairman
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
For most small stuff, I needn't worry because I wear cargo pants pretty much all the time.

For a while I wondered why Americans always look so recognizable in Europe. Then I realized it's cause Americans always wear cargo shorts or cargo pants. And then a loose t shirt. And it's embarrassing to see my countrymen look like such foreign tools over here. (Actually I didn't really notice till I saw Claibe here 3 years ago. Sorry Claibe, you look like an American from a mile away.)

wheelchairman
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I feel like a heavy "satchel" would be worse for your back than a heavy backpack though.

I have world's hugest backpack that I bring everywhere (it may look familiar):

[IMG]http://www.ichq.com/images/imagecache/targus_rgs012.jpg[IMG]

And people make fun of me ALL the time cause it just looks so big on me. But I'm a huge nerd and I'm proud!
You should try and see yourself run with a backpack sometime. Give me backpain any day.

Betty
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
You boys are both so vain!

Betty
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
You should try and see yourself run with a backpack sometime. Give me backpain any day.

Don't get me started. In addition to having world's biggest backpack, that I always carry around even if I only have a few items in it [but usually I DO need it: I bring my laptop, lunch (elaborate lunch with lots of tupperware cause I've become a health freak), books, gym clothes around with me everyday], I also am ALWAYS late (or rather, I try to make the most of every minute) and therefore am ALWAYS running to catch the bus, and it's just an absolute disaster.

HornyPope
07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Everything I need fits into my pockets: keys, wallet and a phone.

If I go to school, I carry a backpack. If I transport something specific, I either carry it in a separate bag or hold it in the car. If I carry documents, I take a suitcase (actually a laptop bag) or I carefully place it in the inner pocket of my jacket.

The rest I can live without, at least while I'm in the city.

Bipolar Bear
07-20-2008, 09:10 PM
If I needed to carry a bad around, I'd do it. Probably not a purse, but that's only for convenience's sake. I would dislike always holding it and carrying it around. A backpack would be my number one option. I mean, I wouldn't wear a purse because I'm some huge macho but what's the point of them, they're so cumbersome.

Anyway, most of the smaller stuff I want to carry fits in my pockets.

Betty
07-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Plus, if you need dental floss, just ask your lady friend.

Bipolar Bear
07-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Plus, if you need dental floss, just ask your lady friend.

Hm yeah, but anyway, why would we need dental floss? It's so unimportant when we're out somewhere, except for superficial reasons. Guys just don't care as much as girls about all those small details, I think, which explains why they don't need a purse with a million accessories.

Betty
07-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Actually, it's probably just me who has weird teeth brushing issues. Like Rick and hid deodorant.

HornyPope
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Actually, it's probably just me who has weird teeth brushing issues. Like Rick and hid deodorant.

It's not issues, it's imperfections and it's okay to have them. As a woman, you are within your right to correct those and that's why the Lord has said that women may carry purses.

Little_Miss_1565
07-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I feel like dudes carry murses/messenger bags/etc. with no stigma in NYC because it's the city and we have to carry our entire lives around with us at all times because chances are excellent that wherever you are conducting business or pleasure is far far away from whatever outlying neighborhood you call home. No?

HornyPope
07-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I feel like dudes carry murses/messenger bags/etc. with no stigma in NYC because it's the city and we have to carry our entire lives around with us at all times because chances are excellent that wherever you are conducting business or pleasure is far far away from whatever outlying neighborhood you call home. No?

Plus NYC is fucking crowded and always on the move so it's not like anybody looks twice to see what you're carrying or remembers your face.

Apathy
07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Sometimes I wish I could have a bag. But they all look too dumb anyway, it's more of an empty wish for functionality. Men's pockets are naturally like twice the size of female pockets anyway to compensate.

Other than that, Cargo pants look fucking dumb in my opinion. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a pair, i'd feel too ridiculous.

Budzy
07-20-2008, 11:35 PM
just carry one of them bright pink Supre' bags.
works for me. lol :D

WebDudette
07-20-2008, 11:50 PM
I generally fit everything I need in my pockets. Keys, wallet, phone.

If ever came the time that I needed more room I wouldn't have a problem with carrying a bag.

IamSam
07-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Personally, I call them European Carry-Alls.

Tizzalicious
07-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I think bags for men are fine! :) Not as in fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, but just...fine. Okay.

TheUnholyNightbringer
07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
^ I actually read that as fiiiiiine. I was dissapointed when you cleared things up - I had an mage of you saying "bags for men are fiiiiiine." I lol'd.

Anyway, I'm halfway between Jessie and the Pope here. Firstly, I wear large trousers the majority of the time, and they all have very, very large pockets. So that's cool for me.

However, when I need to transport something huge, or extra, I just take it in a seperate bag. It's annoying sometimes I suppose, but it happens so rarely that there's no reason for me to go and buy a satchel.

And by the way, there's no stigma attatched to satchels here, as long as you're young enough to pass as a student. They went through a phase a couple of years ago when they were lyk THE college accessory, so now they're acceptable.

Lizardus
07-21-2008, 01:54 AM
I have been taking a backpack everywhere lately. mostly because i have a compulsion and because i usually need the stuff i'm carrying.

Also, if i'm taking something a little big from someone's house (like an xbox) i can rearrange and keep my hands free.

Izie
07-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Yes but see, there's the type of purse you have there in that Jack Bauer pic and that's just fine, and then there's the purses you will see on men that just... aren't. I'd google a pic but I'm too lazy.

I carry a backpack nowadays because I need space for my gym stuff and girl purses are too small. I'm not a fan of the big ones, I feel like they're so heavy they'll break my back/shoulders. So I stole Vlad's backpack and I enjoy. I'm lucky no one really cares at the place I work, because girls with backpacks in my line of work aren't exactly common.

He, on the other hand, stole my schoolbag, which I suppose could be called a "laptop bag", but it's really one of those wannabe business bags failing miserably due to the fact it was Concordia-produced. That's acceptable too, I guess.

Tizzalicious
07-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Oh yes, definitely not all man bags work...

Bad:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/521830247_2832e4a7fd.jpg

Errr...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/65/181936185_a0448550ba.jpg

HornyPope
07-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes but see, there's the type of purse you have there in that Jack Bauer pic and that's just fine, and then there's the purses you will see on men that just... aren't. I'd google a pic but I'm too lazy.

I carry a backpack nowadays because I need space for my gym stuff and girl purses are too small. I'm not a fan of the big ones, I feel like they're so heavy they'll break my back/shoulders. So I stole Vlad's backpack and I enjoy. I'm lucky no one really cares at the place I work, because girls with backpacks in my line of work aren't exactly common.

He, on the other hand, stole my schoolbag, which I suppose could be called a "laptop bag", but it's really one of those wannabe business bags failing miserably due to the fact it was Concordia-produced. That's acceptable too, I guess.

It's just a phase, okay? I only carry it to school in place of a backpack and I make sure the logo is covered so there.

Sunny
07-21-2008, 07:00 AM
there's man purses and man bags... big difference. ;p selecting a man bag is a complicated process... believe me. took WEEKS to find one. my mens loves to carry stuff around (ipod, book, whatever else), so we were hard pressed to find a roomy man bag that doesn't exude manpurseness from a mile away. example:

http://www.travelersshoppes.com/ProductImages/tumi/newformt/thumb-2950.jpg

=)
he just read this and said "MY BAG IS NOT A MAN PURSE". eeeehehe. <3

girlpurse shopping is much easier. =/

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 07:20 AM
My mens is debating getting the man-bag. I currently refer to him as "The Mary Poppins of Pockets." He will sometimes carry around....a bottle of Zyrtec, a few pens, receipts, keys, wallet, change, phone, pens, chapstick, and sunglasses in his pockets. And if he's sick, he'll carry antibiotics in his pockets too. He will carry a backpack to school, but still stuffs everything in his pockets too. He has nothing against the man-bag, I think he's just too lazy to go out and try to pick one out.

HornyPope
07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
my mens loves to carry stuff around (ipod, book, whatever else), so we were hard pressed to find a roomy man bag that doesn't exude manpurseness from a mile away

Isn't there like an Ibag for that stuff? Or just carry a laptop bag or a workbag.

My mens is debating getting the man-bag. I currently refer to him as "The Mary Poppins of Pockets." He will sometimes carry around....a bottle of Zyrtec, a few pens, receipts, keys, wallet, change, phone, pens, chapstick, and sunglasses in his pockets. And if he's sick, he'll carry antibiotics in his pockets too.

Tell your mens to better arrange his personal space.

Zyrtec- Don't need it.
Few pens- Don't need it.
Receipts- Stuff them in your wallet or throw them away
Wallet, change, phone - Fits in pockets fine
Pens- Repeat, see above
Sunglasses- In pockets? Seriously... wear them, hang them on your shirt (collar) or over your head.

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, he needs the pens because he's taking summer classes....but he doesn't bring a backpack, because it's just one class (though, even when he does he carries them in his pocket). The Zyrtec I don't totally get because he can only take it once a day. And he wears glasses, so won't wear sunglasses on his head or anything because it's....overdoing it. You know?

I definitely agree he carries too much shit.

oh, and if we lived in a city, it'd be worse. There is more he'd like to have but he leaves it in his car instead of holding it. eugh.

Nina
07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I see many business men in business suits and a huge backpack everyday. I honestly think that's so charming.

I think bags for men are okay. Whenever I go out with my bf he asks me to put all his shit in my bag. I really hate that. BUY YOUR OWN BAG. grr.

H1T_That
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I was contemplating getting one, but i really don't need one. All i ever carry with me is my keys, my phone and my wallet. Unless i'm staying overnight somewhere, in which case i take a backpack.

Jules69
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
My husband has 2 of em, but to me they look more like book bags only a bit smaller.

JohnnyNemesis
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/235/521830247_2832e4a7fd.jpg

That is not a man purse. That is a purse.

Sunglasses- hang them on your shirt (collar) or over your head.

But I believe the person she was talking about isn't a homosexual, so that won't work.

Izie
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Tizz got what I meant though. I suppose the point of it not actually being a man purse is valid, but some are just REALLY threading that line... And those suck. And Sunny-bag is a normal man-bag or whateveryouwanttocallit. There is nothing wrong with those!

Vlad's a homo for covering up the sexy logo on the schoolbag :(

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Some guys here have been carrying these Louis Vitton bags, like this:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/fashionphile/mckeepall.jpg
also in that ugly brown on slightly darker brown checkered pattern. I hate it. But it's really sort of a hiphop trend here, and the hiphop trend here is so synthetic that even the underground hiphop trends reek of unoriginality.

Now a picture of me standing next to a homo with a male bag. Put to good use, beer, chips and outrageous danish nationalism.
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v125/165/124/679466136/n679466136_155445_9898.jpg

Sunny
07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
holy shit i almost forgot how hideous lv multicolor bags were.

anyway. at least it's not a gucci fannypack. i've seen way too many gucci fannypacks in new york (yes, on men). fucking.atrocious.

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Wow, I hope that doesn't catch on.

I wonder how far Copenhagen is behind New York. A year? 6 months? Who knows.

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
holy shit i almost forgot how hideous lv multicolor bags were.

YESYESYES.

i rarely see them now since i'm out of high school and haven't worked out of my house in forever (therefore, i can avoid them a bit easier).....but eughhhhh. h888.

Mota Boy
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I will never lose the backpack. It always seems necessary, especially when I'm bringing my laptop and/or a couple books everywhere I go. I actually feel odd when I don't have it, like something is missing. For Christmas I got a computer bag, that's a nice-ish auburn color. It also has extra pockets for books or other essentials, but it was inconvenient to bike with, and it was just too odd to have that weight on one shoulder, so it got dropped.

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P904738a.jpg

And then a loose t shirt. And it's embarrassing to see my countrymen look like such foreign tools over here. (Actually I didn't really notice till I saw Claiborne here 3 years ago. Sorry Claiborne, you look like an American from a mile away.)Psh. For one... what the hell, that was only three years ago? For some reason I thought it was four. It seems like it was much longer. Perhaps it's because I no longer wear cargo pants and really big t-shirts. I bought new jeans when I got back over here as I walked through my other ones and was too big for the Chinese... and, well, did you know that it's a trend to have really, really tight jeans these days? That ride low on you? For some reason I didn't notice anything was too odd until I was out of the shop. And now that I think about it, my shirts run kinda tight too... And I finally bought some sunglasses a few weeks ago. And shit, I only wear loafers. If anything, I'm starting to look like a total Eurofag.

Betty
07-21-2008, 09:29 PM
I'll have to say that I also noticed that you tended to wear quite baggy t-shirts. So it's pretty funny that Per mentioned it.

HornyPope
07-21-2008, 11:05 PM
That is not a man purse. That is a purse.

But I believe the person she was talking about isn't a homosexual, so that won't work.

Oh what is that... a diss?

I'm gonna have to even it out.

Tizzalicious
07-22-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't know what Per is on about either. He might look all fashionable and Danish now, but he wore the exact same huge shirts and cargo pants 3 years ago. Maybe he didn't fully integrate yet back then?

khaaaaan
07-22-2008, 03:03 AM
http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v125/165/124/679466136/n679466136_155445_9898.jpg

Waaait a minute... That's ME!:confused: