PDA

View Full Version : your life

Llamas
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
How do you feel about your life? I mean, are you happy with where you are? I'm curious about people's goals... what makes them happy.

I was driving in my car today and just thought, "God, I love my life." And I really, really do. But I think that by most people's standards, my life isn't that great. I work two part time jobs, don't technically have a degree, am not in a relationship, don't know what I'll be doing with my life in 5 years, and never have more than $2,000 at any given time. Yet 90% of the time, I'm incredibly happy with my life.

I feel there are things that could be different to make my life even better, but I don't know that I have specific HUGE events that I need to make my life complete.

What are other people's views on this? What are your goals? How far are you from them? Are you happy? What do you think would make you happy/happier?

Capricorn4
07-21-2008, 01:38 PM
It's really interesting because for example what I consider as an "unfortunate" life it may occur to others that I'm discontented as we are in different situation.
3 years ago I felt like I'm going nowhere,I was in my depressed period,then I got accepted to uni,and now I think I'm fortunate that I'm able to study,to deal with things I love.Of course it could be better,I'm still working beside school just to finance my needs.
In it's entirety I'm quite satisfied with my life,I have lot of fun with friends,travelling so it's not bad.

killer_queen
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
For me, I think I've never hated my life so much. I got a low score from the last exam and probably won't get into a good university this year. This was my third try and I don't think I can handle another one. The thing is I'm kinda happy I didn't get in because the only thing I wanted to study was medicine which means I have to stay 6 more years in Turkey and even thinking about it is awful. It seems like my family will force me to get in a local university. And it's really not good for me, for my mental health because my father is getting harder to live with everyday. And I really wanted to study abroad for my whole life but the whole family is against it, I don't know why. They keep making plans for me like, "you know, you could be an amazing teacher", "if you like biology why don't you study biology? you can work in a lab" without thinking the fact that you can't find a job as a biologist in Turkey or the fact that I truly hate kids and teaching. Even thinking about these things make me want to cry. I know, all of this sound too whiny. Actually, all my life, I have always been hopeful about my future, no matter how bad my life has been at that moment but right now it seems like there is no hope for me and the best thing to do is whine.

And I'm really glad that you made this thread. I feel kinda relieved.

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I absolutely totally love my life. However, like you, most people would probably wonder why I do.

I'm about 10 months from having 2 (useless) Bachelor's degrees. I work part-time in the mall. I still live at home. I'm totally broke because I haven't had a steady job in 6 months (until now). I have tons of health problems that make me feel pretty physically miserable and that happens pretty often lately. However. I am in a very serious relationship with someone I'm completely in love with who feels the exact same way. I have some totally awesome friends that I get to hang out with all the time. I do pretty fantastic in school and it's earned me a lot of scholarships and awards and opportunities.

My goals are going to take forever for me to reach, which is the only thing that really makes me kinda sad. I'm finishing undergrad in May 09. I'm then taking a year off before going to grad school. I'll start grad school either in central New Jersey or New York City in September 2010. I'm working for a Ph.D, which will take awhile to complete. I won't be able to move out for awhile because of this. My boyfriend has a few more years of undergrad (he just recently decided to add on a second, intense, major...during his senior year). My goals are just to finish my PhD, get a professor position, move out, and get married to my current boyfriend. His goals...finish his 2 undergrad degrees, get a job in the field he wants, move out, and be with me. The goals are fantastic and I'm super excited for them, I just don't wanna wait anymore.

I'm just happy to be doing well academically, making everything later on come easier. And have terrific friends. And a pretty damn wonderful boyfriend.

Szandi
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
"I feel there are things that could be different to make my life even better, but I don't know that I have specific HUGE events that I need to make my life complete."

me too
I agree with you.
But I am happy.
Everything's ok, but I feel...something lack in my life. and I don't know what that is.

0r4ng3
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm no good at details, so I won't exactly ramble on in this post. My life is, by most standards, average. I guess I'm happy. My situation could be worse, but most of the time I feel it could have been so much better. There is a degree of despair that I'd rather not get into. Other than that, things are going pretty well, I guess.

Llamas
07-21-2008, 02:07 PM
For me, I think I've never hated my life so much. I got a low score from the last exam and probably won't get into a good university this year. This was my third try and I don't think I can handle another one. The thing is I'm kinda happy I didn't get in because the only thing I wanted to study was medicine which means I have to stay 6 more years in Turkey and even thinking about it is awful. It seems like my family will force me to get in a local university. And it's really not good for me, for my mental health because my father is getting harder to live with everyday. And I really wanted to study abroad for my whole life but the whole family is against it, I don't know why. They keep making plans for me like, "you know, you could be an amazing teacher", "if you like biology why don't you study biology? you can work in a lab" without thinking the fact that you can't find a job as a biologist in Turkey or the fact that I truly hate kids and teaching. Even thinking about these things make me want to cry. I know, all of this sound too whiny. Actually, all my life, I have always been hopeful about my future, no matter how bad my life has been at that moment but right now it seems like there is no hope for me and the best thing to do is whine.

And I'm really glad that you made this thread. I feel kinda relieved.

My question is: if you could do ANYTHING at this point, what would it be? Anything that is actually possible, I mean. Would you move to a different country? Very sad to hear your parents are against studying abroad. :( You are old enough now, though, that you can go somewhere else without their permission, right?

I absolutely totally love my life. However, like you, most people would probably wonder why I do.

I'm about 10 months from having 2 (useless) Bachelor's degrees. I work part-time in the mall. I still live at home. I'm totally broke because I haven't had a steady job in 6 months (until now). I have tons of health problems that make me feel pretty physically miserable and that happens pretty often lately. However. I am in a very serious relationship with someone I'm completely in love with who feels the exact same way. I have some totally awesome friends that I get to hang out with all the time. I do pretty fantastic in school and it's earned me a lot of scholarships and awards and opportunities.

My goals are going to take forever for me to reach, which is the only thing that really makes me kinda sad. I'm finishing undergrad in May 09. I'm then taking a year off before going to grad school. I'll start grad school either in central New Jersey or New York City in September 2010. I'm working for a Ph.D, which will take awhile to complete. I won't be able to move out for awhile because of this. My boyfriend has a few more years of undergrad (he just recently decided to add on a second, intense, major...during his senior year). My goals are just to finish my PhD, get a professor position, move out, and get married to my current boyfriend. His goals...finish his 2 undergrad degrees, get a job in the field he wants, move out, and be with me. The goals are fantastic and I'm super excited for them, I just don't wanna wait anymore.

I'm just happy to be doing well academically, making everything later on come easier. And have terrific friends. And a pretty damn wonderful boyfriend.

Wow, you have some very specific goals, and it's awesome that your boyfriend has such similar goals that work well with yours. How long have you been dating him again, by the way?

So my next question is... what do you think will happen once you accomplish your goals? If you marry him, and get a professor job, what then? I think part of my reasoning for not having specific goals is that I get scared of not knowing what will come when I achieve them... do you think you'll just reach this sense of completion? Or make new goals?

I'm no good at details, so I won't exactly ramble on in this post. My life is, by most standards, average. I guess I'm happy. My situation could be worse, but most of the time I feel it could have been so much better. There is a degree of despair that I'd rather not get into. Other than that, things are going pretty well, I guess.

No details = boooorrrrrring! Unless you really specifically don't want to share.

Conspiracyof1000
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm content with where I'm at, but I've still got places to go. I'm hoping once I move out my life is the same it is now or even better. I think I'm depressed, I've been really out of it for a while, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with the way my life is right now. It could be better, it could be worse. The stuff I'm not happy with I don't feel like talking about.

0r4ng3
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
No details = boooorrrrrring! Unless you really specifically don't want to share.
It's not that I don't want to share, I'm just not really good at long-winded posts. I don't write essays too well.

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow, you have some very specific goals, and it's awesome that your boyfriend has such similar goals that work well with yours. How long have you been dating him again, by the way?

So my next question is... what do you think will happen once you accomplish your goals? If you marry him, and get a professor job, what then? I think part of my reasoning for not having specific goals is that I get scared of not knowing what will come when I achieve them... do you think you'll just reach this sense of completion? Or make new goals?

I do have specific goals. But there isn't really tons I can do with my degrees that I can actually make a decent amount of money with (and I'm talking decent for my area of the country, where everything is pretty expensive). I've been an "official couple" with my mens for over a year. We've been talking and seeing each other in a non-exclusive way for about a year and a half.

I don't really know if I'll make new goals. If I do, they'll be...less important to me, I guess, since I'll already have everything I want. Maybe things like visiting somewhere for a vacation or developing a very specific course to teach. But otherwise...meh. I'll be happy anyway, I think.

Jules69
07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Mine could be better!! Applied for my husband to become an american resident and it is expensive and taking forever!! He was bourne in Finland, but his passprt and birth certificate say Turkey!! He is trying to escape his job!! No picnic here for us!!!

killer_queen
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
My question is: if you could do ANYTHING at this point, what would it be? Anything that is actually possible, I mean. Would you move to a different country? Very sad to hear your parents are against studying abroad. :( You are old enough now, though, that you can go somewhere else without their permission, right?
Without their permission, yes. Without their money, nooooo. Right now, the best and only thing I can do right now is to search for universities. If I find a good one and a subject that I would like to study it would be much more effective than saying "I wanna study abroad, PAY IT!". But I don't know where to start.

Izie
07-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm temporarily half-miserable for another... 25 days because I had to relocate for a summer internship. Half-miserable because I HATE the city with a passion and because I'm missing Vlad and my friends, but the good half is the job which I friggin' love. If this job were back home it'd be the PERFECT internship.

So once this miserable period is over, I'll be pretty damn happy. Good school, great program, at least 2 more great internships waiting for me, which means practical experience, which is then amazing for finding a job. I've also finally found a field I actually like that takes advantage of the things I do best and is actually PRACTICAL. Yeah, my academic/professional life has been pretty sweet lately.

In personal terms again awesome. I've done quite a bit of growing up lately, Mr. Husband and I also grew together very well and things are going much better than I expected (mainly this whole being apart business). I'm missing my friends back in Mtl, but I'll see them soon enough as well so it's all cool.

And I started running when I got here, to keep sane. I must say that's been going really well too.

I guess the only downside is that I very rarely get to see my family, but at least it makes the relationship with them easier :D I still miss them though.

In terms of plans... Hmmmmm graduate, find a sweetass job that won't have 90h workweeks (I can deal with 60ish though), buy a house and have some babies down the line. A long way down the line.

And eventually become filthy rich :)

KyleW
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm going good, like really good. How can I put this without sounding penisey.

Acedemically I jut finished school and have been accepted in to my first choice college on all of the courses I want (Law, German, Government & Politics and Maths) and Ive applied to a bunch of places for jobs (with THE most kick ass CV :D)

Also I just came out of a long relationship and it feels like a breath of fresh air. I feel released as if I can do what I want now and my ex has took it not too badly. Plus I got a bunch of cool mates here which I generally just chill with.

Obviously I have typical teenage issues. I like so and so, so and so doesnt like me but really, who gives a flying crap, im happy and I like that.

In fact writing this out has made me feel even more chilled. Just stitting, listening to Jimmy Eat World and sharing with everyone here has kinda made me feel better :D

Anyway I digress. So my life is pretty happy right now :D:D

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah my life is fantastic.

The Danish government pays me to study. I work for 23$ an hour and I have a fantastic grade average. Oh and in one year I will be finished with my bachelor degrees, like Sam in two useless subjects (Global Studies and Cultural Encounters, I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to continue my academic career as well.)

And in my spare time I drink a lot with people I like. I don't think I could ask for more.

But wait, there's also Civ 3, and travelling.

The only negative part of my life is Sam using the term "my mens" in every single post of hers. Come on, vary your terms just a little bit :p

Sunny
07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
i'm happy with my life, although you wouldn't be able to tell because i'm a whiner ;D i have a snazzy education, a mr. whom i love dearly, and the cutest two puppies i have ever seen. my family is sweet as well.

i guess overall i need to keep reminding myself of how privileged i really am. it's easy to forget sometimes and start feeling sorry for myself. it's definitely something i need to work on... the whole self pity wah wah bit. ;]

i would definitely be happier if i had more money. at this point in my life, i honestly can't think of anything else that could make my life any better. which is great, i suppose... i think, generally, not having enough money is better than not having enough love, or good health, etc.

as for goals... i'd like to see more of the world, and i'm working on that. i would like to go to grad school, finally buy some property cause we're sick to death of renting... and yes, have some childrenz at some point in life. overall, though, i'd like to reach my "full potential" or close to it... i feel like there is a lot out there for me to do, be it academically, personally, creatively or whatever :] it's not so much about the goals themselves as it is about the process... if that makes sense? i want to learn more languages (taking Dutch lessons, currently), learn to cook very elaborate foodz... souffle is next on the list..., learn more snowboard tricks, become a total yoga master and read a lot more. and do many other things. i want to live my life knowing that i've made every effort to make the very best of my gifts, which i have many of... modesty, of course, included. ;)

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh and in one year I will be finished with my bachelor degrees, like Sam in two useless subjects (Global Studies and Cultural Encounters,

The only negative part of my life is Sam using the term "my mens" in every single post of hers. Come on, vary your terms just a little bit :p

I'm so glad I am so important you think of me so much! ;p

Anyway. The useless degrees... =(. Political Science and Women's Studies for me. Why didn't I do something like my partner (happy?)....start out in a useless major and then add in a super useful one? No, instead, I start a useless one and add a second useless one...

Per, think of other terms for me. I don't really like "boyfriend," I just use it for the ease of things. "Partner" sounds funny to me. "The guy I sleep with" reminds too much of Steven Shaw and seems like a friends with benefits sitch. I'm sort of at a loss....I usually refer to him as "my lame" or "loserface" or something that is an absolutely ridiculous pet name and therefore wouldn't be good either =\

Sunny
07-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Per, think of other terms for me. I don't really like "boyfriend," I just use it for the ease of things. "Partner" sounds funny to me. "The guy I sleep with" reminds too much of Steven Shaw and seems like a friends with benefits sitch. I'm sort of at a loss....I usually refer to him as "my lame" or "loserface" or something that is an absolutely ridiculous pet name and therefore wouldn't be good either =\

aha. same. in my case... "my husband" sounds so srs. "my hubby" is just creepy, and something my sister in law would say. *cringes* partner... yeah, no. "my man" is silly as well. lol. i usually call him as "fluffy" or a variation thereof (fluffcake, anyone?) and that just... doesn't translate well in non-lame environments.

so. my mens it is. ;D

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
exactly. my best friend calls her fiancee her "hubbers"....ohjesusfuckno. i call him "honeybunnies" and all other forms of silliness..but how do I say THAT on a message board? X|

so glad we have the same problem and you came up with a good solution that i readily adopted ;p

Izie
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
as for goals... i'd like to see more of the world, and i'm working on that. i would like to go to grad school, finally buy some property cause we're sick to death of renting... and yes, have some childrenz at some point in life. overall, though, i'd like to reach my "full potential" or close to it... i feel like there is a lot out there for me to do, be it academically, personally, creatively or whatever :] it's not so much about the goals themselves as it is about the process... if that makes sense? i want to learn more languages (taking Dutch lessons, currently), learn to cook very elaborate foodz... souffle is next on the list..., learn more snowboard tricks, become a total yoga master and read a lot more. and do many other things. i want to live my life knowing that i've made every effort to make the very best of my gifts, which i have many of... modesty, of course, included. ;)

I'd agree with most of these. The only two I'm not that much into are snowboarding and yoga. But that's probably because I've never tried snowboarding. I really should, I live in Canadia after all.

I'll make that and being fluent in French my primary realistic goals!

Sunny
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
exactly. my best friend calls her fiancee her "hubbers"....ohjesusfuckno. i call him "honeybunnies" and all other forms of silliness..but how do I say THAT on a message board? X|

hubbers?! HUBBERS? that is NOT sexy. not in the slightest.

most pet names i have for the mens (say it loud, say it proud) are so lame i blush in embarrassment at the mere thought. eeehehe.

izas, i STILL fully intend on dragging you out on the slopes and showing you how it's done. ;D afterwards you will be so sore and miserable that you will *have* to try yoga, because it helps with the owy muscles. stretching after riding = a must if you want to get out of bed the next day. ;z

Izie
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Well if you ever drag your miserable ass to Canadia, I'll go with you and you can see me tumble in all my glory. Because tumble I shall.

You also have a PM, hobo.

Ryder1234
07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
snowboarding > every other sport.
that is all

Andy
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Life? Life is good, to an extent. I've got a good job - a job that pays an OK amount of money (as I have no 'real' bills to worry about, I have a good amount of disposable cash to spend on myself.) However, this is most definately a job that is going nowhere so some day I do have to get off my ass and do something to provide myself with *gulp* a career. I've got an interview tomorrow for a post as a part-time database manager for a huge new study that's being hosted through the place I work. If I get it, it would at least provide me with at least nine months of experience to move more into the administrititive angle of medical research, which is much more suited to me than nursing. My interviewing panel consists of the lead nurse of the study (a nurse I've worked with for two years now and very much wants me to have the job), the Dr who set up the database (a Dr I liase with frequently at work, and believes me to be 'perfect' for the job), and my unit's admin manager (who I don't think likes me that much, but she doesn't really like anyone that much). I'm cautiously optimistic.

Other than work, my life's OK. I've got a good group of friends: small, but we're as tight as family. Me and one of my friends (and maybe another, if he can make up his mind), plan to get a place of our own next year, so that's pretty exciting. To add some cream to these tasty future plans, my dad revealed today that he's planning a weekend in NYC for his birthday this December. I've always wanted to visit there, so I'm pretty chuffed with that as well.

My band is starting to get proactive with music, but only because we've accepted that we will be no more when 2008 finishes, as the lead singer/guitarist/songwriter is going travelling across Asia for nine months next year (which is a bit of a bummer I guess, but life goes on).

I myself am well. Despite being fairly overweight and practically never excercising, my health is pretty good. My love life is stagnant, although I am currently subject to a rather brutal schoolboy crush over a student nurse who is on placement where I work. Embarassingly, I seem to have resorted to a strategy of uncontrollable and rather nauseating flirting with the poor girl. The comforting word in that sentence is 'with', but we all know what women are like, eh boys!

Hopefully that is all readable and makes sense - I've not been sleeping overly well lately. I can't sleep as I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's interview; and combined with the three hours I had last night, it makes for a pretty delirious Andy.

Overall, I'd give my existence a 6/10. No, a 6.5.

yulka
07-21-2008, 06:29 PM
okay

i don't wanna sound like an emo, cause i hate that shit

but i don't like my life at all

i mean, i have been such a stupid person
done stupid mistakes
and that has caused me to be left alone by everyone

life is not even cute when you're alone
i do not live with my parents

life sucks, at least that's what i think
but hey, who am i anyways?

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Sunny/Sam, you could go with their first names...?

It's not that I don't sympathise with the fact that mentioning your partner online is already risking accusations of lameness and braggartedness, it is a tricky situation. Anyways Sam I thought you were getting a law degree? :p Well you can always go for a job in academia.

Rag Doll
07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
It's hard to go with first names on here. I mean, outside of like 5 people, I doubt anyone here would know who "Alex" is. You know?

Yeah, I was going to get a law degree. Then I realized if I become a professor I only go to work 3 days a week, rather than 6. I prefer 3 days. I'm very lazy.

jacknife737
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I知 pretty happy. I知 on my way to completing my first university degree without any major hiccups. I love my courses and my university experience so far has been amazing. I also have a great job at a military museum that his relevant to my major (history), although I知 not sure if I want to make a career out of it. I知 quite certain that I知 going to stay in school after my undergrad, and I知 in no rush to get into the 途eal world. I could be in better shape, and I知 not currently in a relationship, but I have a close circle of friends. So overall, I知 feeling pretty good about my life.

Betty
07-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Sam/Magdalena... I'm kinda partial to "my lover"... and it's even better cause people tend to take it the wrong way. I like "my man" too... definitely much better than "my mens." Meh, personal preference. I agree though, don't ever use "hubby" or anything of the like.

Life? I'm in love with life. And I'm completely overwhelmed by it, but I think that makes it even better.

I have a fantastic family, both immediate and extended. My parents are two of the greatest people I know. My siblings are fantastic. We're not really THAT close, but we have that special sibling bond, and I think we'll get closer as we age. Well, at least I hope we will. And if we don't, we will definitely party our asses off when we do get together.

Grad school is pretty fantastic. I live in Victoria, BC, which is just ridiculous. Vancouver island is gorgeous. The mountains and ocean and forests are incredible. The weather is great (for Canadian standards anyway - and I guess it ranks up there compared to the rest of the world too). People are so friendly and mellow and physically active. I have a hugeass scholarship (which I worked my ass off for) so make a ton of money for a student. I was able to afford my own car a little less than a year ago which is the greatest thing that ever happened to me cause I have so much more independence and opportunities are much more accessible (Americans probably take this for granted, but it's definitely not as common in my social circle of students). I have a flexible schedule so am pretty much able to travel at my leisure (not huge month long trips, but within reason). I've spent my summer playing volleyball in the sun, hiking, camping, partying, roadtripping, going to rock shows... amidst trying to squeeze in research and all my own personal projects in every minute of available time. I am studying something I reasonably enjoy and that I'm confident will lead to a fulfilling career. I have a great circle of friends... the grad students in the department here are awesome people and we hangout all the time and I have a super entertaining and adventurous social life. I got a new roommate about 9 months ago that I get along with fabulously.

I'm healthy, in great shape, and good at almost anything I try (and if I'm not - I just work harder at it). (Like Magdalena, I am also modest). And lately I've just been so inspired by life. I've started reading more and learning more and that has really motivated me. I want to do everything and excel at everything I possibly can. I'm ready to change the world. Corny eh? (I have a breakfast date/interview tomorrow morning with some ladies from an organization for a scholarship worth 15K... so I have to prove to them that I'm amazing enough to change the world... I think the best advice I've received so far was to be humble).

Ryder1234
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I live in Victoria, BC, which is just ridiculous. Vancouver island is gorgeous. The mountains and ocean and forests are incredible. The weather is great (for Canadian standards anyway - and I guess it ranks up there compared to the rest of the world too).

have you ever been snowboarding/skiing in some of the mountains up island? I'm not talking about Mount Washinton - It's nice but not very good - but about mountains like Mt. Cain. It's so nice there. I'm hoping on going again with my friend next March. also, some of the lakes around here are pretty amazing. Lizard Lake is really good and remote.

And I completely agree with that.

People are so friendly and mellow and physically active.

I've noticed that too. whenever i go to Vancouver/Mainland, everyone just seems... different, you know what i mean?

Betty
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I actually have not gone skiing since I've been here (two years). Just haven't gotten around to it. We drove to Whistler just to hang out for the day and enjoy the rich-ski-people atmosphere, but that's it. Will definitely make the trip eventually though. And maybe I'll look into the smaller mountains... is it any cheaper?

I've done a bit of surfing which I think is fantastic and I've mostly just done a ton of hiking on the island. The best hike I've done was the Elk River Trail in Strathcona Park where you go right up into the mountains to get to Landslide Lake and then even further up to get to Iceberg Lake. Absolutely incredible.

I've posted a few of these before, but I like photos!

Landslide Lake from the bottom and the top:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/LandslideLake.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/DSC00436-1.jpg

Iceberg Lake (my camera could not capture the full scale):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/IMG_1536.jpg

And one day we hiked through Carmanah Walbran park to "Paradise Pool" which also turned out to be incredible:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/ParadisePool.jpg

07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/DSC00436-1.jpg

Iceberg Lake (my camera could not capture the full scale):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/Wildbetty/IMG_1536.jpg

Interesting shots, but who is the ugly horribly dressed girl? Or man? I haven't quite decided yet.

Camilamazed
07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Happy? Totally.

I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a 28 and own nothing (I mean car, house of my own and stuff like that). I do not come from a rich family and my life hadn't been easy. Things in my country are not easy actually. I didn't go to college because I couldn't afford it and ironically only rich people are able to get into public universities in Brazil. Today I get paid 180 a week being an Au Pair in Maryland, living with a wonderful host family and having the time of my life. I am not ashamed either to say that I help my family with money. It's a weird thought but I worry more about them than I do about myself.

My life wasn't easy in Brazil but hey, I've never let things bring me down. I always try to see the bright side of life.

I can say that I cannot have many things, but I will be able to tell my grandchildren I made my dream come true. I made it to the USA. I've been here for more than an year now, and I will probably stay a little longer to study more. My goal is actually take advantage of the time I was given here so when I go back to my country I can have a great job; Of course everybody wants that, but the most important thing for me is to buy my parents a house and pay for my brother's education. I know it will take a while, but I am no scared of waiting. I'm the kind of person that I wait things to happen when they're meant to.

I have no boyfriend either, but I guess it's because I don't need one right now. I have priorities.

I'm also happy because I've seen most of my favorite bands live, met Alanis Morissette (another dream come true), visited the Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.... I have many friends in real life and great internet friends I've been chatting for long now...

Yeah, I have a great life.

Betty
07-21-2008, 09:00 PM
It's me in my sexy hiking clothes! I am sporting my stylish yet cheap and functional MEC gear, my giant camera case, and my Food Basics ball cap. Dude, you can't hike 12 hours into the mountains running on 2 hours of sleep because you woke up at 4AM to drive 5 hours to get there in time to be able to make it to the top of the mountain before nightfall and be beautiful!

Jaded skies
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Good and bad.

I have a few problems with my body (i.e. bad knee and my finger is all fucked up) but im too afraid to go to the doctro because ive had to go so many times before as a kid and im always scared they are going to say something bad.

But on the other side my friends are great and so is my family. Im not in a relationship right now but ive had a lot of girls come up to me and tell me how they always dream about me or how hot i am. which really, i dont know if anyone gets them, but it makes your day. I have about 6 girls i could go out with right now, but im deciding to hold off. Im a nice guy, im not going to bang 10 chicks and tell them each i love them.
But other than my minor problems with my knee and what have you, life is pretty swell :]

Ryder1234
07-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I actually have not gone skiing since I've been here (two years). Just haven't gotten around to it. We drove to Whistler just to hang out for the day and enjoy the rich-ski-people atmosphere, but that's it. Will definitely make the trip eventually though. And maybe I'll look into the smaller mountains... is it any cheaper?

I've done a bit of surfing which I think is fantastic and I've mostly just done a ton of hiking on the island. The best hike I've done was the Elk River Trail in Strathcona Park where you go right up into the mountains to get to Landslide Lake and then even further up to get to Iceberg Lake. Absolutely incredible.

I've posted a few of these before, but I like photos!

pics[/IMG]

Yeah, the smaller mountains would defiantly be cheaper. Don't get persuaded to go to Mount. Washington just because the person you are going with only knows about that mountain or something. It's alot of hype for nothing.
I would defiantly recommend Mt. Cain. It's locally run so its alot cheaper, and less known so its not that crowded. The only downside is that there's only t-bar lifts (what the name says, its basically a "t" shape that goes on your back and pulls you up the mountain, it takes 2 people), but they are easy once you get the hang of it. Theres this view from the top looking over the bowl, and the other side of the mountain is beautiful (although you would probably die if you tried to ride it - i almost did :p) You drive up this road for about an hour to reach any snow, but at the bottom of the mountain theres a beautiful lake. We saw some elk there.

It's near some small town up island. I'll have to look on a map to remember the name; I'll post with it later.

And the surfing scene on this island is great. I went surfing up at long beach in Tofino with a surf camp last year. It was my first time surfing, but my friend (who has surfed since he was 5, and is into all the board sports) was really impressed. I probably was so good because me and him have skateboarded since we were pretty little. I think I impressed him more when we went to Mt. Cain, and I defiantly think I'm best at snowboarding.

Also nice pictures! i haven't really been many places yet (mainly because I'm only 14 and my parents are not very active, so most places I've been was with friends), but you would think that after living here my entire life I would have done more than what I have. I really would like to go Landslide/Iceberg Lake from those pictures, and I think I might propose that to my friend.

Hold on I'll find a map to mt cain in a sec

Ryder1234
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
So, I couldnt find a map to it, but if you know where Woss is, it's near there. If not, it probably would be on one of the maps that is kept in your car (if you have any)
so, some pictures of it (sorry for the size of the second one, photobucket wouldnt do what it was told)

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Rabble4life/mt-cain-ski-field_10200.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb166/Rabble4life/Mt_Cain_2.jpg

Tizzalicious
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
I am half happy. I love my shop, it's going well, too. I'm on my way to life off what I make with the shop, so I will be able to ditch the disability and make a living for myself, dispite the migraines. Plus I will be able to actually officially move to Denmark then. I will need 6500 euros first, but I will get there. And at least that way I won't have to deal with applying for Danish disability.

My lovelife is good too, and I have a great family, plus Per's family is fantastic too.

My health is a bit of a downer though. It stops me from doing a lot of the things I want to do. The migraines have gotten really bad lately, which means I am often at home doing nothing and feeling crappy while Per is out. I find it hard planning things with people because I always have to cancel, and I don't enjoy things I used to enjoy anymore (shopping, going out, drinking,...) because I just never feel good enough.

Vera
07-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Michelle - omg, "my lover" is the worst. Always reminds me of something a boytoy of a gay sugardaddy would use of their, um, sponsors.

Something I've read people use on their blogs is refer to their current boyfriend as The Boy or something like that. "The boy and I went to the movies today.." etc. I love Sam's/Sunny's use of "the mens", too. It's so cute.

Anyway, regarding the actual topic..

I'm doing okay. My summer job is arduous when I am working but on my days off it's just peace and quiet and general fabulous summer lazin'. Of course, I should be finding an apartment in my university's town but I'm just hoping they'll give me a student place and I won't have to deal with sleazy landlords and shit (I've heard horror stories).

I'm really excited about studying and going to school, and living on my own, though also sort of worried about finances and not being able to buy so much fun shit that I've gotten used to while living at home and earning at the same time.

Also sad to leave Helsinki and my Helsinki friends behind. You only realize how much you love them when not able to see them regularly anymore.. Particularly one friend I will miss. Thank god for the netz.

I'm currently taking an open uni course on Bollywood which is rocking my world, too.

And now I gotta run off to work.. I had some stuff to say to Gulsah but will have to write those up later!

Sunny
07-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Michelle - omg, "my lover" is the worst. Always reminds me of something a boytoy of a gay sugardaddy would use of their, um, sponsors.

"my lover" reminds me of a man with a 70s style mustache and hairy chest, wearing nothing but gold underwear. somewhat hasselhoff-esque. ah. oh god. don't know why. >_<

Interesting shots, but who is the ugly horribly dressed girl? Or man? I haven't quite decided yet.

out of curiosity, what exactly do you suggest women wear out on hiking trails? minidresses and heels? sometimes, hard to believe as it is, we have priorities other than looking sexy for some random lurker out in the middle of nowhere.
christ.

WebDudette
07-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Genuinely good, I suppose. I just got through an ordeal over a red light ticket, that was a relief. I have enough good friends. I have a nice house, though I wish I could spend more time with my dad. He works at home, but its still hard.

As far as school life goes its miserable. In school I'm a self-sabotaging apathetic. I went into my Junior year knowing that I had to pass all my classes to be on track, so what did I do? Missed roughly 30 days and failed three classes. One of them was Art, how does one fail Art? Well, you are absent for the entire final thats how. I just hope I can find a way to make up the three credits so I can walk my senior year then maybe spend a year or two in community college before going to a state university.

This summer I have actually stopped talking to two of my good friends because of my own stupidity. I've tried to reconcile with one, while the other one I actually did develop a dislike for. I've gained one amazing friend. Though the down fall of that is I can't really imagine dating her, but I also can't imagine settling for anyone else besides her.

Over the last couple months I've taken up trying various forms of self-improvement. Physical, mental, whatever. But I just can't seem to stick with anything. Though even the little bit of time I spent on this was enough to help some.

School is coming fast and writing this makes me want to truly make the best of the rest of the summer. I just hope I can keep this mindset without getting all lethargic and apathetic again.

Wow, this is getting quite long. I can't imagine anyone reading all of this, excuse me for making a huge journal entry.

Long time goals, by my mid-twenties I want to have a small apartment. Probably out of Arizona, with a decent job (with a future of better job opportunities) that allows me to have fun on the weekends and afford decent things. We'll see how it goes from there.

Despite my bickering and whining I'm going to go with a 7.5/10.

IamSam
07-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Well...lets see. Just found out my 17 year old sister has been sleeping around and has herpes. I am in my last year of college, which is sweet...but barring the fact that I will then have to find a real job and I'm scared shitless about it. My gf and I have a blast but lately she's been stressed because of working nights at the hospital. I worry that the school year could spell doom on our relationship if she makes the decision it's too much. I'm stressing because I'll be a third year resident assistant in the dorms and I need to be a good role model and hangout with my residents. At the same time I'm taking 3 400 level history classes and 2 300 level geography classes. I need to talk to a teacher about taking 2 independent studies in the spring so I can finish my minor. I'm going back to my hometown to see my family for the first time since February. And I recently wrote my formerly abusive father (possibly bi-polar) telling him that he needs to seek psychiatric help or else I no longer want to be around him due in part to his constant temper, job hopping, and grubbing off of his parents.

All in all, I can't complain. Life is good.

Andy
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I've got an interview tomorrow for a post as a part-time database manager for a huge new study that's being hosted through the place I work. If I get it, it would at least provide me with at least nine months of experience to move more into the administrititive angle of medical research, which is much more suited to me than nursing

I got the job. My life's now running at a cool 7.5/10.

Sunny
07-22-2008, 12:09 PM
congratulations! that's awesome =)

Vera
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
out of curiosity, what exactly do you suggest women wear out on hiking trails? minidresses and heels? sometimes, hard to believe as it is, we have priorities other than looking sexy for some random lurker out in the middle of nowhere.
christ.
Don't be silly! Vagina obligates you to looking sexy all the time. If you don't look hot, you are no longer a woman but a manly man man and may accidentally grow a penis.

Anyway, stuff I meant to say to Gulsah.. If I misunderstood/assumed something wrong, FORGIVE ME. Just trying to help out, I think I know where you're at right now..

1) Is studying medicine abroad a possibility? I know an Indonesian girl from Livejournal who went to Turkey to study (not sure what though) so even if your folks wouldn't want you to go to a non-Muslim (lolz typoed nun-Muslim) countries, I'm sure there are study opportunities in Muslim countries..

2) Check your local uni's website for abroad study opportunities, if the uni is not TOTAL utter crap, it should have some. You could study there for a year, then go abroad for a semester or two, that sort of thing.

3) Any possibility of training to be a nurse before getting in to study Medicine? Most Finns do something like that since Med school is so difficult to get into.

4) Or just go to the local uni for a year and see about the Medicine thing next spring? Today I talked to a girl who studied Swedish in uni for a year and then transferred to something she *really* is interested in...

5) I know your family is being a pain in the ass right now, but honestly I think they're just worried and want you to find your way as soon as possible. I know my mum was all "well how about ___? go study ____! become ___!" during my two gap years. It was super-frustrating and lead to a lot of arguments and I don't think it helped me find my way but I'm just saying I've been there, and I know how it is, and I think you just need to show them your effort in whatever it is that you want to do - or if you're not sure, your effort in trying to find what that thing may be.

6) I must confess I don't know much about education in Turkey so I don't know what are realistically your options. It might be worth considering to just take a gap year, get a job and take some time out figuring this shit out. Especially if you can still live at home - having a job means you won't need to be with your family all the time but will still have money to buy some things to cheer you up (yay retail therapy!).

7) Here's something Mota Boy once told me: just take a couple of hours every day to read about things you *might* be interested in studying / doing as a profession. That is, if you're still trying to figure it out. If not, then maybe just read and casually study whatever you want to, and confirm that it's your thing.

8) *hugs*

Betty
07-22-2008, 09:51 PM
"my lover" reminds me of a man with a 70s style mustache and hairy chest, wearing nothing but gold underwear. somewhat hasselhoff-esque. ah. oh god. don't know why. >_<

Yes! I think that's why I'm so partial to it!

Don't worry, once I find myself one, I'm sure I'll start using the term all the time and it'll grow on you guys.

Sunny
07-23-2008, 03:31 AM
Don't be silly! Vagina obligates you to looking sexy all the time. If you don't look hot, you are no longer a woman but a manly man man and may accidentally grow a penis.

o nos :(

i'm wearing flannel shorts and a man shirt. think i'll grow a dong by the end of the day?

Vera
07-23-2008, 04:56 AM
No, because lucky for you, in Europe women are allowed to look butch.

Andy
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
congratulations! that's awesome =)

Thanks! And it is! Well, it should be. Starting late August/early September. Woo.

Duskygrin
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I work from 9 to 7 or thereabouts, in an asset management firm. I have a master's in trade finance. I love piano, am classically trained, but have hardly the will to play it when I'm home (at 8). I generally lack sleep. My bf is English and lives in London. I'm tired and weary most of the time. Right now I'm impossibly weary...

Llamas
07-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Holy shit, this thread got a lot of responses in my absence... I'll have to catch up later...

RickyCrack
07-24-2008, 02:52 PM
i'm currently dealing with an outstanding dui, and i'm living on my brother's couch and his house is literally a hippie commune. shit sucks, but i just bowled a perfect game on wii bowling and guitar hero is abundant. if only i was good at super smash brother's brawl. but yes, drinking is fun. also there's going to be some good television on tonight.

Superdope
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
congrats on the 300 in bowling. you must have felt awesome afterwards :)

RickyCrack
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
there was confetti

GBH2
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
my life rocks. i get to quit my part time job in a week and then have around two months of vacation/video games/guitar until going to the university of cincinnati - one of the best car design schools in the country. then i get to be rich and drive sweet cars and have a job where i draw cars. fuckin sweet.

adombomb222
07-24-2008, 10:21 PM
As for now, I love life. I have a good job that pays well over minimum wage. I'm doing decent in school, this semester, as far as I know; I'll be getting the classes I really wanted (Marine Biology, Philosophy and Psychology). I have enough money to pay for gas and my monthly bills with a little extra to spend on what ever.

My goals? I’d really like to pull through this year with B’s and do well on my ACTs. My ultimate goal is to go to a good collage and get a degree in marine sciences. I’d love to travel the world and explore different cultures to have a better understanding about the world around me so that I can appreciate it in all its beauty. I’d also love to explore this world’s percussions; I’d love to own many different drums for all over the world.

I’m not sure if it would make my life any happier, but I’d like to have a relationship. I’ve never really had anything serious, anything that wasn’t just lust. So I think I want to just experience a good relationship with a nice girl.

But over all, life’s pretty good.

zsk
07-26-2008, 04:57 AM
My life.
Haircolor:brown
i life in:rhineland palatine,germany
i'm 15 years old...
my favourite soccer Team:Eintracht Frankfurt(www.eintracht.de)
(their fans:http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwO3l0DYXE)

fav soccer player: Martin Fenin
I'm a simpsons fan
fav car: Nissan 350z
fav plane:eurofighter typhoon (http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFZcF17GJk)
fav subject (in shool):history
politic: leftist
you know my fav music;)
fav videogame:Medieval II Total War (+Medieval II,Kingdoms Add-On)
fav book:The Pillars of earth
I'm a guitarist (electric)
My Youtube account:
http://de.youtube.com/user/thehurricanegh