PDA

View Full Version : The objective of this trip...

Llamas
07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
"The objective of this trip was to have substantive discussions with people like President Karzai or Prime Minister Maliki or President Sarkozy or others who I expect to be dealing with over the next eight to 10 years."

I've been seeing this quote from Obama all over lately, with right wings saying that Obama plans to repeal the 22nd amendment... but when I search for the context of this quote, all I can find are people attacking him. Does anyone know what he meant by this? I hardly think he would announce intention to repeal the amendment like that...

IamSam
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I think he misspoke. A president can only serve 10 years if he finishes up the term of another (LBJ) and runs for his two terms. That is 10 years. He would have to do a lot to abolish it. Democratic congress. Paying off the Supreme Court. It would be a very Caeser like move.

wheelchairman
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Well until you get the context there is absolutely no reason to take that sentence seriously at all. Besides the American media is quite good at taking misspeaks and repeating them ad nausitum. I wouldn't put too much store in what pundits and bloggers say about an Obama quote taken out of context.

For all you know he could be referring to visiting them in several different capacities and in several different positions.

Mota Boy
07-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Does anyone know what he meant by this? I hardly think he would announce intention to repeal the amendment like that...Ha! It's a gaffe, just one more of the bullshit issues that continue to dominate the American election cycle. Just wait until the inevitable time at which John McCain soils himself in public.

HornyPope
07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
First of all, what is the 22st amendment?

Second, I watched the short clip on Colbert Report tonight and what I noticed was Hussein trying to pass off as a head of state before he is actually, if ever, voted as one. That's gotta be wrong.

Apathy
07-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Couldn't you pick that up from what IamSam posted?

It's the term limit Amendment. President can only serve two terms. Four years each.

HornyPope
07-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Ah, I see then.