PDA

View Full Version : Five Senses

WebDudette
07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Something interesting I seen a bit ago. Not particularly original but could still be pretty interesting.

Number one: If you could keep only one sense which would you choose? Why?

Number two: If you had to get rid of one of your senses which would you give up? Why?

I'm hard pressed between touch and hearing for number one. Obviously lack of feeling is going to be killer but without hearing or at least sight, could you really develop emotional feeling? Not just significant others but just typical relationships (hmm... harder to explain then I assumed). If I was born deaf it would be one thing but after knowing what music is I'm not sure I could live without it. I'm not even a huge music fan but still.

As for number two it is a toss up between smell and taste. Smell is probably more practical and useful but I loooove food. So I guess, in the end I would give up smell.

KHWHD
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Something interesting I seen a bit ago. Not particularly original but could still be pretty interesting.

Number one: If you could keep only one sense which would you choose? Why?

Number two: If you had to get rid of one of your senses which would you give up? Why?

If I had to, I'd give up hearing. I'd miss listening to The Offspring, but more importantly I wouldn't be able to see my babies or see anything else for that matter.

Again, if I had to, I'd give up smell as well. I love the taste of food.. period.

drummerbecca
07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Hmm, I don't know about which one I would keep if I could only keep one. That's really tough.
If I only had to give up one it would probably be sight. I couldn't live without hearing, not now. I'm a huge music fan and I'd be lost without it. I'd even go as far as to say i wouldn't be the person I am today without it. I'd miss my loved ones faces, but I'd never forget them.
I wouldn't give up taste as I love food. And I also wouldn't give up smell because it's too closely linked with taste. I'm not sure of the exact figures but your sense of smell actually makes up a small percentage of your sense of taste, apparently. I'm not entirely sure how...

Capricorn4
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
If I could keep one sense I would keep my sight(it's hard because sight is important for what I've been doing but I can't imagine my life without hearing).

Number two:yes,I would give up smell too,it's not that important since I'm allergic and it's not functioning really well,so I would give it up without any hesitation.

0r4ng3
07-22-2008, 01:05 PM
If I were to keep one sense, it would have to be sight. It would be cool to feel like I'm floating around, just seeing things. It would be trippy, I think.

Which sense I'd give up would be a toss-up between touch and taste. If I didn't feel anything I could be like a superhero or something. If I didn't have taste it'd be easier for me to eat stuff that's healthy but disgusting.

Sunny
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
aren't taste and smell connected? as in, if you lose your sense of smell, your sense of taste becomes impaired?

anyway, i'd definitely want keep my sight. i'd go crazy if i went blind. omfg.

if i had to give up one sense, it would probably be hearing. not that it wouldn't suck to be deaf... but i like tasty foods and nice smells, and i'm not giving up my sense of touch. nooo sir.

Tizzalicious
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I'd keep my sight too.

I hate people who say they would keep their hearing because they "can't live without their music". Urgh.

If I had to get rid of one...uhm...smell maybe? Althought our modem almpst caught fire yesterday, and I wouldn't have been able to smell that then. So that wouldn't have been so good.

wheelchairman
07-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah I don't understand people who'd give up sight over hearing. Sure you might love music. But you'd be increasing the difficulty of living by 1millionx. Shit I'd give up music faster than you could think. If I missed it I would read lyrics and then hear it in my head (since that's what happens involuntarily anyways.)

I would probably go with touch or hearing. Although losing touch would be potentially deadly since I wouldn't know if I was mortally (or even superficially) wounded. Hearing it would be. I could just tune everything out, all the time always. Man that'd be awesome. And I would save so much money on expensive sound systems (not that I spend any money on them anyways.) A nice, quiet existence.

Shit I can't wait to go deaf. Then my other senses would be heightened. I'd experience food on a whole new wonderful level.

Food>Music. Always.

So in short, first to go: hearing.
Last to keep is undecided. Probably eyesight. Actually definitely eyesight.

WebDudette
07-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Ouch, what have you got against music? Though that wasn't my only reason, I enjoy listening to people and talking too much.

For the record, sight is about tied for my second pick.

Edit: Though Per has a great point about tuning things out. I suppose it could be extremely useful.

wheelchairman
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
I enjoy listening to people talking too much.

Yes but do you enjoy ^^

If I couldn't hear anything then living with Maartje would be a breeze.

Somebody kill my ear drums.

Tizzalicious
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
H8!

I have nothing against music, just against people who pretend it's the most important thing in the world.

WebDudette
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Alright, I can see where you are coming from with that and my original point did make it seem like I was going to die without music.

In reality the real reason I've decided on hearing is because I can't imagine how difficult it would be to develop relationships without being able to hear them and talk to them. Sure you can use sign language or right things out but not everyone is going to do that.

After reading replies and thinking about it I am leaning a little more towards sight.

Cock Joke
07-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Numero Uno: I'd keep sight. I gotta be able to see where I'm going, you know? There are many benefits to losing the ability to hear such as annoying or loud sounds being 100% ineffective. Taste, touch, & scent, you really don't need 'em if you think about it. But I just love looking at stuff, I could watch TV with the closed captioning going on. It'll be fine. Sight would be the one to keep.

Numero Dos: I'd get rid of scent. Smelling is utterly useless!
for taste, I wanna be able to enjoy the meal I'm eating. When I'm holding something, I gotta be able to know I'm holding it because if I drop it and it breaks then I'm screwed!!! Scent is 100% pointless so I'd get rid of that.

wheelchairman
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Another advantage to being deaf.

Being able to talk all the time, not being able to listen.

WebDudette
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Yeah, but people do that already.

Jebus
07-22-2008, 02:38 PM
1: I'd keep sight. Communication and speech is still possible without hearing as long as you can read lips or use sign language. You could still eat without taste so you'll live. You miss out in some pretty and delicious smells, but since you lack taste, what's the point? Can't really reproduce and pass on my genes without an erection so feeling is important, but I'm guessing there's a surgical way to extract sperm and then use science to impregnate a woman. I'd just have to be carefull not to burn myself. So yeah, life wouldn't be that miserable as long as I could see.

2. I'd get rid of smell. I don't how people could choose anything that isn't smell or taste. You could live an almost perfectly normal life without any of these two. If taste is really really important, then you must have an extremely dissatisfying life to care about food that much. 95 percent of the time, the only thing I smell is odorless oxygen so it's not a big part of my life.

wheelchairman
07-22-2008, 03:58 PM
I suppose you have to base what you get rid of based on what you can do most without.

People kept hearing because they love music so much

That wasn't an issue as much for me.
I love food, way too much. Taste actually. And the sensation of satisfying a need.

Then sex I suppose is connected with feeling

I guess I actually prioritized food over sex. Well I just learned something new about myself.

I'm going to be huge.

iPunk247
07-22-2008, 05:55 PM
i believe i was so blessed with my five senses but gifted with teh sixth sense.

Sunny
07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
If taste is really really important, then you must have an extremely dissatisfying life to care about food that much.

you obviously have never had truly delicious food or wine. a good chocolate dessert, a great seafood dish, a bold red wine... the experience of great food is very sensual. sexy, even. it's not just about filling your stomach, just like sex is not just about impregnating people. ;]

Enjoi
07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I have a sixth sense. It's the power to undress BBS members with my eyes.

Zebulon
07-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Number One: My eyesight is more important than anything else, by far. You can still perform most of lifes tasks without your hearing, touch, smell or taste. It would suck, yes, but it is still far more important than eating, sex or music. It's the only way you can still live a decent quality of live. Also, without your eyesight you look dumb, for a lack of a better word, and handicapped. I still want to make a good impression of myself; I don't want to look lesser of a human.

Number Two: Smell, without hesitation. Where I live there is hardly anything to smell anyway, it's all just air pretty much, much less any good smells. Also, food is much more important to me than smell. I honestly cannot think of any important reason why I would still need to smell, except for smelling my infants dirty diaper, but I'm sure my wife could help me with that. Someone else pointed out that you cannot taste without your smell, but I'm not sure if this is true because you taste with your taste buds and not with your nostrils.

Sunny
07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Someone else pointed out that you cannot taste without your smell, but I'm not sure if this is true because you taste with your taste buds and not with your nostrils.

yes, you taste with your taste buds, but their functions are limited. like, your taste buds serve as receptors for basic flavors: salty, sweet, bitter, sour and umami. and that's pretty much it. the more sophisticated/subtle flavors are perceived by our olfactory system, not the taste buds themselves.

Jebus
07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Since we're being strictly hypothetical here in fantasy land, I think it'd be safe to assume we'd only lose one sense no matter what science tells ya. =\

you obviously have never had truly delicious food or wine. a good chocolate dessert, a great seafood dish, a bold red wine... the experience of great food is very sensual. sexy, even. it's not just about filling your stomach, just like sex is not just about impregnating people. ;]
So you rather taste delicious food over being able to hear you husbands voice (which could be just as sensual)? Being able to communicate without any barriers, whether it be to socialize or job related? Being able to hear that car behind you before it runs you over? You're a mad woman!

Also, to be fair, I only brought up that impregnating to point when we only had one sense and I wasn't exactly serious seeing how I was using the vernacular of a space alien.

wheelchairman
07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Speaking of job interviews. Perhaps lacking a sense would qualify one for disability.

That would mean free money, and possibly drugs to boot!

Apathy
07-22-2008, 10:12 PM
1: I'd keep hearing. Sight and Hearing are obviously the big two, but hearing seems more practical to me.

2: Sight. So I could become Daredevil.....THE MAN WITOUT FEAR.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d2/Daredevil100.jpg/250px-Daredevil100.jpg
and a much better version that Ben Affleck I might add.

Honestly though, the easiest to do without would be smell and taste. For me smell would have to go, because of the whole food is good thing whereas smell isn't really something I seek out. People don't tend to have smell cravings. Also, I can avoid bad tastes. Avoiding bad smells is more difficult.