PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring want success.

HeadAroundU
07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
They do not care about the money that are attached to it and I believe them. I want them to be successful but not this way.

Pleasing tru punx fans with mastering Bad Religion song? They are very talented and it's kinda funny that they can do it. I'm talking about Takes Me Nowhere.

They are getting way too submissive. Along with Green Day, they are monsters of Alternative Pop/Rock and Punk Revival. They should be dominant. They shouldn't be recording diluted offspring. I'm talking about Rise and Fall. Which is a mix of Weezer's Hash Pipe and Green Day's American Idiot.

I could go on...

Also, the title of this thread doesn't go well with the statement that they play music they want to. I know it's not a contradiction. But do they really want to play Bad Religion???

What to do? I'd rather see them doing 2 Pretty Fly songs and the rest would be underground or indie or whatever.

I'd like to see them being inspired by less known bands. Just like in Hammerhead.

If they want to be inspired by famous bands, then pick some luxurious shit like Coldplay. Good job in A Lot Like Me.

They should be more tricky, they should hide better all the influences.

I think they hurt music now with the desperate need of success. I think they crossed the line.

How do you feel about it?

Hihi, my 2nd critical thread, what the hell is going on? :D
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33807

DefaultNinja
07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I think the reason I missed the point is your English isn't great.

But anyhoo, it's their decision with what they do with their music and band, even if it causes upset amongst some fans.

My brain hurts.

Rooster
07-22-2008, 04:36 PM
I must say that i disagree with everything you said. I just find the new cd fantastic. I've written about this in many other threads and i don't want to repeat myself.

Stylie
07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
I didn't really understand what you're trying to say, but that may be because I'm tired. Let's try this thread again tomorrow, and I'll try to answer.

Conspiracyof1000
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
In case you haven't noticed, everyone wants to be successful. It's human nature. However, I disagree with everything you said, because, unlike other bands who want to be successful, RAFRAG had more than one song I actually want to listen to.

HeadAroundU
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Well, I gave the album 8.2/10 in my review but I still need to criticize. Great bands need a tough critique.

Basically, I'm saying that they took too many influences from current or very popular bands and it's blatant. The offspring should be the band that inspires other bands. They should bring something more coherent and influental. Be more dominant. They chose the easiest way to become successful. It's ok to do it to some extent but I think they crossed the line.

I'm just looking from a different angle. The realization of songs is excellent but...i just don't like what it is...

It's a topic for advanced music listeners. :D

Motaboy80
07-23-2008, 06:44 AM
Well, I gave the album 8.2/10 in my review but I still need to criticize. Great bands need a tough critique.

Basically, I'm saying that they took too many influences from current or very popular bands and it's blatant. The offspring should be the band that inspires other bands. They should bring something more coherent and influental. Be more dominant. They chose the easiest way to become successful. It's ok to do it to some extent but I think they crossed the line.

I'm just looking from a different angle. The realization of songs is excellent but...i just don't like what it is...

It's a topic for advanced music listeners. :D

Yes, you have very weird angle. Turn your angle so that you can see yourself in the mirror. Listen the album through 100 times and youīll notice that itīs different. Definitely NOT THE SAME. Maybe your musical ear is too narrow. Donīt know but I think in this world there is so many songs that they will sound the same in some point. At least some of them! After all...

weezly
07-23-2008, 08:02 AM
man u guys complain. if they put out smash again and called it thrash ud be so happy. how can anyone complain about a song like takes me nowhere, i mean i dont like 2 songs, nothing town and rise and fall, i love the rest, theres normally 2 songs on all there albums i dont like so much and love the rest, they did well, im telling greg k to come visit u.

Free?
07-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I understand your point, HAU, I feel that many influences aswell. But I have to ask, since when did you become Offspring's fan? You know, RAFRAG isn't the band's first album with many other bands' influences. Self-Titled, Ignition, Smash have pretty many songs that clearly have influences of other bands. I'm pretty sure that when Smash came out Offspring's fans couldn't not to admit that it had some Nirvana's smell. Ixnay had "Bad Religion song" All I Want. So for people, who started to listen to Offspring from Americana times (like myself), RAFRAG seems to be such big step aside from classic offspringish sound because actually Americana, CO1 and Splinter were more or less not influenced that much as RAFRAG is and it's our first such experience, but not the band's first.

Dragnet
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I get your point, but unfortunately such threads aren't appreciated on this board. RFRAG is pretty half assed, but people won't admit it because they are spoiled by plastic music nowadays and can't tell the difference between authentic music and wannabe passionate music (Fix You).

WARNING: SUBJECTIVE OPIONION ABOVE

Offspring-Junkie
07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I think The Offspring already had enough success. I want them to stay as they are.

Rooster
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
WARNING: SUBJECTIVE OPIONION ABOVE

LMFAO:D

I have no problem with your opinion, everyone has their own opinions, but this quote really made me laugh.

Capricorn4
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I get your point, but unfortunately such threads aren't appreciated on this board

Having your opinion and criticizing in a constructive way is different,so it rather leads to a logical discussion.

jacknife737
07-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Self-Titled, Ignition, Smash have pretty many songs that clearly have influences of other bands. I'm pretty sure that when Smash came out Offspring's fans couldn't not to admit that it had some Nirvana's smell.

Agreed. The first three albums have very clear external influences on their sound. Ixnay, Americana and even CO1 probably have the least, although they clearly do have some major influnces. Although in a small way, i do agree with HAU, i'd like to see them try and branch out a little more in a sound that is more derived from their own inspirations. But whatever the band decides to write and release, i'm sure i'm going to love it.

Zebulon
07-23-2008, 03:03 PM
RAFRAG sounds way too forced. I wish they would just write what comes to them.

Rooster
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, maybe it seems forced to you, but it's just as jacknife737 said. Influences from other bands can be heard on all of their albums. But i'm not here to change your opinion, you can think whatever you want about RFRG.

Budzy
07-24-2008, 12:57 AM
okay this is regards to the hammerhead sounding like that 'The Letter's organise' i think their name was.
i noticed while listening to Tehran that in the intro the same sound.
Listen to it. 'Dun dun dun, dun-dun'.

Oxygene
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I think many people don't have a clue as to how song writing recording assembling an album and such works..

What I think is people need to stop comparing bands together.

The Beatles have basically done it all already anyway, everyone is just recycling.. get over it.

To me a good song is one where the music fits the mood of the lyrics which in turn make me slap me on the forehead and go "why the fuck didn't I write that that's exactly how I feel/see it"

the more songs like that are on an album for me the better..

Like I give a rats ass if dexter is inspired by barry manilow.

Not being able to pull your head out of your ass won't make you a music critic.

You could talk about the production the choice of instruments dexters vocal range etc etc, acting arrogant and claiming offspring is becoming the next blink 182 just lets the rest of the world know you haven't got a clue.

Rise and Fall is a great offspring album, in fact it may have some of the best stuff ever put forth by the band, and me saying something like that is a big deal because I usually simply don't have favorites. They have taken a turn, but try playing the same fucking beat for 25 years and you'll realize that it's got nothing to do with tru punx cold play or bad reigion.. It's called artistic integrity, being honest and true to yourself, doing what comes naturally and not forcing it to make review writers happy. I salute them, I saluted them for pretty fly, for splinter, for everything.. Because I know for FACT, that it's authentic, it's not written for success, for money, for tru punx, or for me.. It's just what the guy wants and period.

I like that kind of "fuck you" attitude in a band and I respect it.. even if some review writers think that it makes them the next britney spears...

Rooster
07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
I think many people don't have a clue as to how song writing recording assembling an album and such works..

What I think is people need to stop comparing bands together.

The Beatles have basically done it all already anyway, everyone is just recycling.. get over it.

To me a good song is one where the music fits the mood of the lyrics which in turn make me slap me on the forehead and go "why the fuck didn't I write that that's exactly how I feel/see it"

the more songs like that are on an album for me the better..

Like I give a rats ass if dexter is inspired by barry manilow.

Not being able to pull your head out of your ass won't make you a music critic.

You could talk about the production the choice of instruments dexters vocal range etc etc, acting arrogant and claiming offspring is becoming the next blink 182 just lets the rest of the world know you haven't got a clue.

Rise and Fall is a great offspring album, in fact it may have some of the best stuff ever put forth by the band, and me saying something like that is a big deal because I usually simply don't have favorites. They have taken a turn, but try playing the same fucking beat for 25 years and you'll realize that it's got nothing to do with tru punx cold play or bad reigion.. It's called artistic integrity, being honest and true to yourself, doing what comes naturally and not forcing it to make review writers happy. I salute them, I saluted them for pretty fly, for splinter, for everything.. Because I know for FACT, that it's authentic, it's not written for success, for money, for tru punx, or for me.. It's just what the guy wants and period.

I like that kind of "fuck you" attitude in a band and I respect it.. even if some review writers think that it makes them the next britney spears...

I'm quoting Oxygene's post, because it deserves to be quoted. Everyone (especially complainers) should read this before they continue complaining.

Drafan
07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Whatīs the point? Everything is just OK with Offspring. I donīt see nothing forced, they play for fun, they donīt need success, I saw it.

Oxygene
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Whatīs the point?

self importance

Pranksta
07-24-2008, 07:24 PM
Good music is good music. Who gives a shit what band it sounds like?

I'd rather they write 1 good song that sounds like Bad Religion or Green Day (aka Takes Me Nowhere and Rise and Fall) than 10 weak songs that sound like Coldplay or Muse or whatever (aka A Lot Like Me).

Oh, and if you found any similarity between Hash Pipe and Rise and Fall, you need to get your ears checked. Seriously.