PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring vs Focus on the Family

jacknife737
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
A website run by Focus on the Family called pluggedinonline.com has reviewed a couple of the Offspring’s albums, and I’d thought I’d share them with you for the lulz.

For those who aren’t familiar with Focus on the Family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family_%28United_States%29) it is an American evangelical Christian organization that was founded by total asshat James Dobson, the homophobic, science-hating, child beating advocate, douche-bag who wants to turn America into literally Jesusland.

Smash http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0001231.cfm

Favorite line:
Inconsistent at best, this disc deserves to be Smashed

Ixnay On the Hombre http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0001230.cfm

Favorite line:
This follow-up to the record-breaking Smash is one bad Hombre

Americana http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000671.cfm

Favorite line:
On "Have You Ever," Holland declares, "I'd like to leave the world as a better place." He can begin by staying off stage and out of the studio.

Seriously, when will Dexter please think of the children?

Rooster
07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, some of their "reviews" can really make your day :D They are so dumb it's almost not funny anymore...

Cock Joke
07-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Aahahaha!!! Faggots! "He uses too many cuss words!" D*X

If there's reviews for the rest of Offspring's albums and maybe some other bands that I like, I'd like to see them! :D

Cock Joke
07-23-2008, 05:46 PM
http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0001940.cfm

IamSam
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
I like the fact that they don't try to understand satire and sarcasm. Brilliant.

bighead384
07-23-2008, 05:56 PM
You GOTTA love the review of Ixnay On The Hombre. Just thinking of the lyrics to Disclaimer, and then thinking of some of the shit the review said is mind blowing.

brothadave79
07-23-2008, 06:35 PM
These are now among my favorite album reviews ever.

jacknife737
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
I like the fact that they don't try to understand satire and sarcasm. Brilliant.

I know, its hysterical. The Ixnay one is probably my favorite review; satire seems like a concept that is completely foreign to the reviewer.

I wish they would review some of the band's later work, but these were the only ones i could find.

GBH2
07-23-2008, 06:59 PM
best line: "Anti-authority anthems ("I Choose," "All I Want") encourage teens to rebel."

Conspiracyof1000
07-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Oh noes Smash has already invaded my home! What do I do now?

IamSam
07-23-2008, 09:35 PM

Quick! Play something everybody loves! Like...

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts (Deedely Deedely)
There they are a standing in a row (Bum bum bum bum)

jacknife737
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Burn it and then pick up something from your local Gospel music store.

Half-Truist
07-24-2008, 03:34 AM
I was reading that and went "WTF?"..and thought "this association was created by Ned Flanders" (you know, that religious neighbor of the Simpsons):p

anyway .. those are among the more shitty reviews I've ever read:D

zsk
07-24-2008, 03:42 AM
A website run by Focus on the Family called pluggedinonline.com has reviewed a couple of the Offspring’s albums, and I’d thought I’d share them with you for the lulz.

For those who aren’t familiar with Focus on the Family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_on_the_Family_%28United_States%29) it is an American evangelical Christian organization that was founded by total asshat James Dobson, the homophobic, science-hating, child beating advocate, douche-bag who wants to turn America into literally Jesusland.

Smash http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0001231.cfm

Favorite line:

Ixnay On the Hombre http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0001230.cfm

Favorite line:

Americana http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000671.cfm

Favorite line:

Seriously, when will Dexter please think of the children?

you see,the evangelic church is not anymore a religion of freedom,luther reformed the people,because he want them to have a free life
now the evangelic curch is square!
so I'm happy,that I'm catholic...

Superdope
07-24-2008, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I've known about that site for some time now. You should check out their reviews for some of the Qotsa records. they're hysterical.

EDIT:

I just had to share this with you. Here's a line from their review of The Colour and the Shape:

Though vague, "Monkey Wrench" could be interpreted as the frustrations of a teen whose parents refuse to accept his homosexuality

WTF?

Rooster
07-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I've known about that site for some time now. You should check out their reviews for some of the Qotsa records. they're hysterical.

I will deffinitely check out reviews of QOTSA albums on that page. I wonder what they have to say against Queens Of The Stone Age...

btw, QOTSA fuckin rocks!!!

Edit: Okay, do they actually think QOTSA is praising God in No One Knows:

"It’s a cryptic project with brief moments of uplift. Lines such as "Heaven smiles above me/What a gift here below" ("No One Knows") and "I want something good to die for/To make it beautiful to live" ("Go With the Flow") are like flowers growing out of cracks in a sidewalk."

I know this is a bit off-topic, but it shows that other reviews are not any better than The Offspring ones...

Rag Doll
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I had forgotten about this website. It comes up every few years here, but not in a long time. It is pretty amusing. I listened to a lot of bands they dislike when I was in my formative years and I think I turned out to be a pretty well adjusted twentysomething.

Rutegard
07-24-2008, 12:35 PM
AHAHAHAHHAHAH

THANKS a LOT DUDE

it makes my day!!

i mean...since we know who said this...i think it's very cool that they hate offspring albums, seriously....i wouldn't like these kind of people to like them....

so if they hate him, that's normal, that's what i was expecting actually!!!!

BUT...pretty cool to read :D:D and to laugh of course

IamSam
07-24-2008, 12:44 PM
What cracks me up is how hypocritical it is. These are Christians who are not supposed to judge others, and here they are judging musicians because they (the judgers) don't understand the music, nor do they care to. Makes me glad I seperated myself from hardcore Christian people a long time ago.

Rutegard
07-24-2008, 12:53 PM
What cracks me up is how hypocritical it is. These are Christians who are not supposed to judge others, and here they are judging musicians because they (the judgers) don't understand the music, nor do they care to. Makes me glad I seperated myself from hardcore Christian people a long time ago.

do like me and don't even try to understand it...it takes you nowhere :P

Capricorn4
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Now that I read these reviews....I will convert to a hardcore christian and never listen to such music like this:rolleyes:.

Rutegard
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Now that I read these reviews....I will convert to a hardcore christian and never listen to such music like this:rolleyes:.

yeah ya know what??

i felt the same :p

Capricorn4
07-24-2008, 01:31 PM
yeah ya know what??

i felt the same :p

What a pity that I'm an atheist;).Not even baptized...

Rutegard
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
What a pity that I'm an atheist;).Not even baptized...

really?

same here....except for the baptized thing (blame my parents...i was one month old)

RGR22
07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks you made my day, I cant stop laughing lol

Stylie
07-24-2008, 04:29 PM
WTF did I just read? :confused:

randman21
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
this obscenity-strewn album plummets toward punk-rock bottom.
I can tell they had this one ready to fire before they heard the album. 'Tis excellent, though.

Thanks much, Jacknife! I will be reading each and every review on that site. It's too damn good.

BIG Nicky
07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Bloodhound Gang: Pro-Social Content - None.

Wow, wasn't expecting that one. lmao.

Cock Joke
07-24-2008, 09:33 PM

EDIT:

I just had to share this with you. Here's a line from their review of The Colour and the Shape:

WTF?

Oh that does it! I don't mind when they cut down music with "bad words," because I think that's actually kinda cute, but when they accuse Dave Grohl of being homo, or pretending to be one, or whatever, that's just going too far!

TeddyBear_Army
07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Thank god I´m an atheist!

Count Orlok
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Funny "reviews"
I didn´t know someone can be offended by The Offspring in the mid to end 1990s.
Their opinion to Rage Against The Machine´s Battle Of L.A. is also worth a laughter:D

Fanatic Christians are really ridiculous morons,they´re not better than the Islamistic fundamentalists.All religious fanatics are equally crappy,uber-conservative,intolerant fools who hide their insanity behind "god" and "faith".
BTW As you may guess,i think of myself as an atheist^^

But it´s good to see that bands can still be hated by today.:D

Jaded skies
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I love the amazing puns at the end of each review.

brothadave79
07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Fanatic Christians are really ridiculous morons,they´re not better than the Islamistic fundamentalists.All religious fanatics are equally crappy,uber-conservative,intolerant fools who hide their insanity behind "god" and "faith".

Ha, irony.

Conspiracyof1000
07-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank god I´m an atheist!

That's too amazing. I just might sig it.

Little_Miss_1565
07-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I love that James Dobson named his organization that, because any parent who is a part of it is committing child abuse by that act alone.

Like Tipper Gore before them, getting a bad review from these douches is kind of a huge compliment.

Keep 'em Seperated
07-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Haha focus on the family my arse. More like focus on our on pathetic self righteous little world. I attend a Catholic school, and whilst I don't follow Roman Catholicsm as such, I do believe in the existence of a higher power and those opinionated fools are an embarrasment to anybody who is spiritual.

Personally I think ultra-conservative wackos are highly insecure people. You'd have to be to run around denouncing rock music. I can think of many things better to do than waste my time seeing bogeymen that aren't even there.

Great reviews though. Will be reading up on Blood Sugar Sex magik by the Chilis on there, especialy the 8 minute sexual ego epic Sir Psycho Sexy.