PDA

View Full Version : What the fuck is he standing on?

bighead384
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJKYj5m6G7E

For those who haven't seen this already, it's that video where Chris Angel walks across Lake Mead.

WebDudette
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Obviously, he is the reincarnation of Jesus but was corrupted by modern America.

bighead384
07-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Obviously, he is the reincarnation of Jesus but was corrupted by modern America.

Hahaha. Maybe Jesus was just an illusionist too.

Endymion
07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
the two most common ways of 'walking on water' are plastic stands in the water (same index of refraction, so they're 'invisible') and the other buoyant shoes.

drummerbecca
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
I've no idea what he's standing on, but that was fucking cool. It's recorded from pretty much every conceivable angle, and I'm really open minded about everything so I'm left quite speechless by that.

bighead384
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM
the two most common ways of 'walking on water' are plastic stands in the water (same index of refraction, so they're 'invisible') and the other buoyant shoes.

Well the girls that were allowed to walk right up to him swooshed their hands in the water directly under where he was standing, so it doesn't seem like the plastic stands theory is the answer. Also, how would he move plastic stands forward with every step?

And buoyant shoes? Wha? They exist?

wheelchairman
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I've no idea what he's standing on, but that was fucking cool. It's recorded from pretty much every conceivable angle, and I'm really open minded about everything so I'm left quite speechless by that.

A critical mind might be far more useful...

drummerbecca
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Hahaha. Maybe Jesus was just an illusionist too.

Have you seen The Man From Earth? If not I highly recommend watching it. I know that might seem like a strange comment in reply to yours but if you've seen the film or if you watch it you'll understand why.

drummerbecca
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM
A critical mind might be far more useful...

What is there to be critical about? Those went right up and put their arms underneath the guy. There was obviously nothing there holding him up. What does your critical mind suggest?

wheelchairman
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
What is there to be critical about? Those went right up and put their arms underneath the guy. There was obviously nothing there holding him up. What does your critical mind suggest?

That his job is being an illusionist. That people make money off of this kind of stunt.

Oh and Endymion's post. My critical mind surrendered to the world of natural sciences a long time ago, for the past 5 years I've pretty much used him as the natural science part of my brain. (Thanks for not screwing with me Endymion.)

EDIT: but in all seriousness I would probably ask myself a set of questions like

Why is he doing that then and there?
Why is he seemingly the only person that can do that?
If he is the only person that can do that, or if there are others, why haven't we heard any sensationalism about it?
Where are the scientific reports or studies on this?
(and likely, why are there none?)
Can he do this on any water?
Has he ever been spontaneously asked to do this whilst unsuspecting such a request?
Did he do it?

Stuff like that is what my critical mind would look at.

Zebulon
07-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, but how? How does he do it?

wheelchairman
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Read Endymion's post. If you don't understand the words, look them up. Now I'm no dictionary but I would assume from context that the big word "refraction" in this context means to bend or reflect light.

drummerbecca
07-24-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm a firm believer in science over religion. I don't believe that what this guy did was remotely close to being divine, as I understand he is an illusionist and that there's obviously an explanation behind how he did it. I was merely pointing out the fact that this time, I couldn't see anything at all that gave away how he did it, as other attempts I'd seen were usually pretty obvious.

Zebulon
07-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Read Endymion's post. If you don't understand the words, look them up. Now I'm no dictionary but I would assume from context that the big word "refraction" in this context means to bend or reflect light.

Yes, but the girls were touching under his feet. He wasn't standing on glass.

WebDudette
07-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure how exactly it is done.

However, I am sure how it isn't done. It is not done with any form of super human powers.

Endymion
07-24-2008, 03:13 PM

no, it looked like they did from a poor angle on a shakey camera. why didn't one of them wrap their hand around his foot? oh, because he was standing on plastic. or maybe for that particular shot he only had his heels on the plastic.

why do people eat out of the hand of some douche who can't even spell his name correctly?

Rooster
07-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Why did he just walk? He should run, that would be a real trick...

In my opinion he really was walking on some plastic surface. I mean, it's a trick, it had to be done in some way, and the most obvious solution would be plastic...

Llamas
07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
the glass he stood on could be supported to the side. Like, the whole thing could be C-shaped... They were putting their hands basically under his toes. The support for what he's standing probably wouldn't be directly under him. And it's probably really long... not like he'd have to move it with every step.

PS that show is so annoying. He does some cool illusions, but he just acts so pompous and obnoxious about it.

edit: oh yeah, and the fact that his feet break the surface of the water by a couple inches with every step, it seems really obvious that he's standing on something. There's no way that if this was actually possible, that every step would break exactly the same depth of water. If he did it in a way that looked like he was walking ON the water, like not breaking the surface tension, that might look somewhat convincing...

Cock Joke
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
David Blaine could do better.

Rooster
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
These are better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYxu_MQSTTY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGrTvNzGCZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHbYTm8U1v8

David Blaine parodies FTW!

nieh
07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
why do people eat out of the hand of some douche who can't even spell his name correctly?

I love you.

Criss Angel is at best, an obnoxious stage magician with props made specifically to help him perform the (occasionally entertaining) illusion at hand and at worst a tv magician with camera tricks, editing and fake crowds to create illusions that aren't possible to create in a live setting.
David Blaine is much better. While his stunts have been lame, his street magic stuff is awesome. No camera tricks and very, very few if any gimmicks. Most of his tricks are done with regular objects and can be done at any time with any of those objects which means even though he's not actually doing MAGIC, he's a pretty talented illusionist to be able to perform those things with a regular deck of cards or a regular coin or what have you at the drop of a hat.

wheelchairman
07-24-2008, 05:25 PM

no, it looked like they did from a poor angle on a shakey camera. why didn't one of them wrap their hand around his foot? oh, because he was standing on plastic. or maybe for that particular shot he only had his heels on the plastic.

Indeed. Also why was he wearing those gay ass shoes? I mean those shoes that look like plastic clogs? Why wasn't he barefoot or wearing ordinary shoes?

Llamas
07-24-2008, 05:34 PM
David Blaine is much better. While his stunts have been lame, his street magic stuff is awesome. No camera tricks and very, very few if any gimmicks. Most of his tricks are done with regular objects and can be done at any time with any of those objects which means even though he's not actually doing MAGIC, he's a pretty talented illusionist to be able to perform those things with a regular deck of cards or a regular coin or what have you at the drop of a hat.

Indeed. Also why was he wearing those gay ass shoes? I mean those shoes that look like plastic clogs? Why wasn't he barefoot or wearing ordinary shoes?

I strongly agree with both points. Particularly the first. I think Chris Angel has some cool illusions, but the way he has to go about them make them pretty lame. Partially because everything gets so overdone/exaggerated... like that scene of him walking on water lasted way too long, for something only mildly cool.

By the way, Derren Brown is way more awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZohpDS2aMc&feature=related)

StayInTheHouseCarl
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJKYj5m6G7E

For those who haven't seen this already, it's that video where Chris Angel walks across Lake Mead.

hes an emogician.

Enjoi
07-24-2008, 09:26 PM
THAT IS SO FAKE! THERE IS, i dont no wat, BUT THERE IS A WAY TO DO IT!

bighead384
07-25-2008, 01:31 AM
By the way, Derren Brown is way more awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZohpDS2aMc&feature=related)

No freaking way.That trick in the video is bullshit. There's not even a chance that would work. I mean, you try it like twenty times you might come across someone whose high or some shit, but besides that, forget it.

Chris Angel rules, and you all have no clue exactly how he did it. Yeah, he's standing on something somehow, but you don't have a clue what or how.

Endymion
07-25-2008, 04:47 AM
you don't have a clue what

plexiglass or some other plastic-like substance which has an index of refraction equal to that of lake water.

or how.

pillers sunk into the sand. he walks across them. when people waved through the water it was, at best, under only the front of his foot. this could be either that he was 'hanging 10' or that the piller had a chunk out so the hand could be moved through part of the interior.

disclaimer_07
07-25-2008, 05:19 AM
I guess the secret lies in his shoes. I would be really impressed if he walked across that lake barefoot. Or only in his underpants.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I guess the secret lies in his shoes. I would be really impressed if he walked across that lake barefoot. Or only in his underpants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQLq2VmZcA

Here's the other "walk on water" video he does. He did this one first. Halfway through, he begins to walk across it barefoot. Also, there are more people around him and they go directly under him many times.

wheelchairman
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm not claiming it was his shoes. We've already established that there are many ways to appear to walk on water.

p.s. No one went directly under him....

nieh
07-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Halfway through, he begins to walk across it barefoot. Also, there are more people around him and they go directly under him many times.

camera tricks, editing and fake crowds to create illusions that aren't possible to create in a live setting.

If you're not seeing it live from a single uncut camera shot, assume there's a reason for it. Also, a good portion of his crowd reactions are so poorly acted that it alone is a dead giveaway that they're in on it.

JohnnyNemesis
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
If you're not seeing it live from a single uncut camera shot, assume there's a reason for it.

This is generally a good rule of thumb. It's absolutely remarkable what people can pull off with good camera/editing skillz. Also, I think Endy provided some good explanation/reasoning for things.

Jakebert
07-25-2008, 11:36 AM
No he didn't. There were people under him and HIS SHOES WERE OFF!!!

khaaaaan
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
In that pool video there was one POV shot that had him take the next step before his front food was even touching water. So for the POV shots they had him rigged to a crane:)

wheelchairman
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
That's funny, I once rigged your mom over a crane to do something in a pool too.

She loved it.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 12:29 PM
If you're not seeing it live from a single uncut camera shot, assume there's a reason for it. Also, a good portion of his crowd reactions are so poorly acted that it alone is a dead giveaway that they're in on it.

I'm not one to trust people, but even I tend to think that an illusionist would at least have enough skill and integrity to pull off some cool shit without doing things that are straight up cheating. I mean, I know it's possible that he could have the whole crowd be in on it, or just do mostly everything with camera tricks, but somehow I highly doubt it.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
This is generally a good rule of thumb. It's absolutely remarkable what people can pull off with good camera/editing skillz. Also, I think Endy provided some good explanation/reasoning for things.

That doesn't quite make sense to me. Seems like your trying to back both theories. It's gotta be either camera work, or he's standing on something that the crowd can't see.

nieh
07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm not one to trust people, but even I tend to think that an illusionist would at least have enough skill and integrity to pull off some cool shit without doing things that are straight up cheating. I mean, I know it's possible that he could have the whole crowd be in on it, or just do mostly everything with camera tricks, but somehow I highly doubt it.

His trick where he walks on air from one building to the next was done using green screens.

Endymion
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I mean, I know it's possible that he could have the whole crowd be in on it, or just do mostly everything with camera tricks, but somehow I highly doubt it.

and you're right; the majority of the trick is the plastic pillers.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
His trick where he walks on air from one building to the next was done using green screens.

I'm guessing that's the same as blue screens? Isn't that where anything that's blue (or in this case green) won't appear in the shot? I guess he would have to have the whole crowd be in on it, cause I'm sure they could see it.

0r4ng3
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
That doesn't quite make sense to me. Seems like your trying to back both theories. It's gotta be either camera work, or he's standing on something.
It could easily be both. The camera work could be used to hide whatever it is he's standing on.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
It could easily be both. The camera work could be used to hide whatever it is he's standing on.

So you think it's just a straight up walkway going over the pool, Chris Angel walks over it, they edit out the walkway, and that's all there is to it?

I can't believe that. There's a lot of bullshit in this world, but that's taking it too far.

Endymion
07-25-2008, 01:14 PM
the camera trickery comes in with making it look like the audience, which is in on it, is actually falsifying the walking on plastic reality. the chick swimming? just through a gap in the plastic, she never swims directly below one of his feet -- he was likely just standing on two pillers that she swam between.

also, his name is spelled "Criss". please don't attempt to make him sound like less of a douchebag by spelling his name in a non-douche way.

JohnnyNemesis
07-25-2008, 01:27 PM
That doesn't quite make sense to me. Seems like your trying to back both theories. It's gotta be either camera work, or he's standing on something that the crowd can't see.

My mistake, I must have not been clear.

What I meant was that the theories support each other; fancy camera work is what makes it so he can stand on something and the viewer at home doesn't know about it.

Whether he has the crowd in on it or not is a whole 'nother issue, but I wouldn't put it past them. It's actually fairly common practice to have live audience sign confidentiality waivers and such.

I personally can't speak to this with any real level of confidence, but what Endy is saying makes a lot more sense to me than some other explanations.

drummerbecca
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
That's funny, I once rigged your mom over a crane to do something in a pool too.

She loved it.

Are you always this much of an asshole?

0r4ng3
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
He's just joking around with khaaaan, they're friends in real life.

wheelchairman
07-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Are you always this much of an asshole?

Well Khaaan might say so, but we always toss out your horrible your mom jokes at each other.

drummerbecca
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Ah, ok. I wondered if it was a genuine asshole-y thing, or if it was a sense of humour thing. Now I know it's a sense of humour thing.

Mota Boy
07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
What the fuck is he standing on?The answer is magic.

nieh
07-25-2008, 02:18 PM
the camera trickery comes in with making it look like the audience, which is in on it, is actually falsifying the walking on plastic reality. the chick swimming? just through a gap in the plastic, she never swims directly below one of his feet -- he was likely just standing on two pillers that she swam between.

also, his name is spelled "Criss". please don't attempt to make him sound like less of a douchebag by spelling his name in a non-douche way.

Also, as khaaaaaaaaaaan pointed out, the POV shots make it seem like he's being suspended from something as opposed to standing on something, so they probably did a take with him being suspended as well as one of him walking on the pillars and edited them together.

Llamas
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
No freaking way.That trick in the video is bullshit. There's not even a chance that would work. I mean, you try it like twenty times you might come across someone whose high or some shit, but besides that, forget it.

This guy has many videos of various mind controlling tricks. He also often includes times when it didn't work and he was embarassed. The thing is, more than half of the time, it doesn't work... but the times it works, it's really awesome. This one is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkleuxpvxY

Chris Angel rules, and you all have no clue exactly how he did it. Yeah, he's standing on something somehow, but you don't have a clue what or how.
Many things happen on TV that nobody knows exactly how they did it. But we have more than "clues" as to what and how he did it... there's a very high likeliness there is plastic under him.

bighead384
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Many things happen on TV that nobody knows exactly how they did it. But we have more than "clues" as to what and how he did it... there's a very high likeliness there is plastic under him.

Right, but there's more to the trick than that, and you don't know how it's done. It's an amazing illusion.

Endymion
07-25-2008, 04:05 PM
oh please, any amature could make a video that looks exactly like that. the only trick is that we assume he was actually standing, touching the water and that people where in the pool at that time. have you seen a computer lately? it's trivial to splice together two+ sources to create that exact effect.

i'd be mildly impressed at his showmanship et al if i could watch him do it and it still looked good, but on tv? a joke.