PDA

View Full Version : Cable Company Conspiracy Theory

bighead384
07-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Everyone I know constantly has trouble with their cable TV, high speed internet, or digital phone service. I mean, sure, shit is bound to go wrong sometimes, but I end up calling my cable company at least 5 times a year. I've talked to many other people that have had a similar experience. My question is: Why? I mean essentially, you just hook up the fucking wires, and send the fucking signal. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if half the time, it's just bullshit that the cable companies do on purpose to save money. For example, one time my phone stopped working, so I called to make an appointment. They said they were booked and I'd have to wait a few days. But the next day, my phone starts working again out of nowhere. A few days later,the assistant comes over, "fixes" it, and tells me that someone accidentally cut the wire that goes to my house when they were working on it. Well how the hell could that be when it was working the day before?

Just throwing this out as an idea because it's fucking frustrating and more than a little curious if you ask me...I know I really don't have proper evidence.

Thomas
07-27-2008, 12:59 PM
My family did have quite the episode with Sprint recently.

The FCC is requiring Sprint to cancel it's broadband services. We were told we had until August 1st. Then all of a sudden about a week and a half ago, our internet dies (which is just great, because I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't even have any t.v. stations). They had cancelled the service early. It turns out Sprint cancelled early so that people would call them, and when they called, they would give them a 2 week extension, but you had to buy something.

Aside from that, though, I'm pretty sure there is no conspiracy of the major cable companies to screw us all over. The moon landing was a hoax, though.

Endymion
07-27-2008, 01:07 PM
I mean essentially, you just hook up the fucking wires, and send the fucking signal.

not even close. it's a very complex system on a very complex network.

Jebus
07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Never had a problem with my satellite. As for my dsl, nothing a router or modem restart can't fix.

A few years back though, I had a dsl plan where my download speed was 40kb/sec (can't remember the Kbps conversion). Apparently the plan was discontinued after a while and my ISP started offering 1536 Kbps (about 160kb/s) instead for the same price. When time came to renew the contract, they didn't tell us this and instead of upgrading me to the new faster speed, they kept it at the old download speed even though it was discontinued. Found out about this maybe 10 months later and after I called demanding to get upgraded, they told me they couldn't because we had a contract. Had to wait another 2 months for the contact to expire and then I had to call again and specifically tell them to upgrade the dsl. Otherwise, they would have probably kept the same speed if I had just simply renewed the contract.

bighead384
07-27-2008, 01:42 PM
not even close. it's a very complex system on a very complex network.

I'm sure it's complex, but what actually occurs that constantly prevents them from sending people the signal strength that they paid for?

Endymion
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
i took down a few blocks worth of cable by creating an impedance mismatch at my terminal once, sending terrible reflections through the switch.

JohnnyNemesis
07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I end up calling my cable company at least 5 times a year.

I don't really see how 5 times a year is so bad...am I missing something?

Endymion
07-27-2008, 04:14 PM
it really must take a particular sort of person to suspect that the world at large is working against them. cable company conspiracy? conspiracy of what, exactly? they have tens of hours of downtime a year... why? what clandestine purpose could they possibly have? on one hand we have the obvious answer: random failures, upgrades to the network, etc. on the other hand... what? do they just cut the network to piss off people that are paying them for service even though turning the network off saves them nothing in operating costs? well, that would just be stupid, so they must be doing something with that downtime. clear the network for secret government communications?

bighead384
07-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't really see how 5 times a year is so bad...am I missing something?

I personally think that sort of inconsistency is pretty severe. I mean, I call them, they fix it, and then 2 months later it's already fucking up again. Seems like it's like that for everyone in my area. Maybe it's just certain areas that it's bad in.

Little_Miss_1565
07-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I personally think that sort of inconsistency is pretty severe. I mean, I call them, they fix it, and then 2 months later it's already fucking up again. Seems like it's like that for everyone in my area. Maybe it's just certain areas that it's bad in.

I count myself lucky when my weekend *doesn't* start with a phone call from ConEd asking me to turn off all non-essential electrical equipment. Utilities, including cable, in major metropolitan areas are not exactly reliable.

Cock Joke
07-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I don't know about any kinda conspiracy. All I know is that cable companies such as Comcast and uh...Comcast are just frikkin incompetent assholes who say they fix shit when, in reality, it works for all of 10 minutes before it slows back down or ceases to work completely! The second or third time in a row you call them back over, they come up with some bullshit excuses that get them outta trying to fix the cable! I am, of course, referring mainly to the Internet.

I hear broadband's decent. Stay the hell away from AOL, of course. I highly recommend Verizon FiOS. Honestly, the best service out there!