PDA

View Full Version : A lot like me - Word Meanings

Camilamazed
07-29-2008, 06:36 AM
I know this song is pretty obvius, but I need some other words to make sense in Portuguese.

1) How does it feel when you have it all?

a. When you have power/lot of belongings and so on
b. When you have the world in your head, like the chorus.

2)How can you take without giving back?

Does it have to do with "twisting knives turning on to someone else"? I mean, the way the world treats you reflect on how you treat it?

3) "And I wonder how it's all come undone"

I've actually never understood the meaning of come undone. :o

Thank you guys once more.

Free?
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Good thread. To me this song is one of the most abstract off the album, lyrics are great to quote, however what exactly is this song about is still pretty misty to me. Overall it looks like about how ill is society, people have the same illness that they deny to see. Maybe it's about how we all depend on money aswell. Also meaning of chorus is a mystery to me.

The thing is that chorus says "the world is on my head" which confuses me aswell. It's like you feel the weight of the whole world. (...?)

Does it have to do with "twisting knives turning on to someone else"? I mean, the way the world treats you reflect on how you treat it?

I think it's a little bit different. It's not allways like that: some people can take without giving back and will not recieve any punishment for that, but others will pay for what has been taken instead. World is not fair to everyone equally.

I think it means that when we recieve something new, it comes already corrupted. Like you get a new job, but your place is already in a corrupted system and you are destined to be part of it already from the start.

Those are my thoughts, I might be wrong, would be happy to see any other explanations that would make more sense.

Jaded skies
07-29-2008, 01:02 PM
apparently its a single according to wikipedie. any back up to this?

brothadave79
07-29-2008, 01:04 PM

- When you're living the good life. You have everything you need and you're all set.

- The person is selfish. He benefits himself without ever helping those around him in return.

- Everything has fallen apart. It's come undone, like threads being unraveled ("AS I WALK AWAYYYY" - Weezer, Ha). Circumstances have changed and his life is now in the gutter. He can't deal with it because he's never had to face real difficulty before, and he doesn't know how it happened.

Camilamazed
07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Thank you guys, very much.

=]

Free?
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
And what's your chorus explanation, people?
At this very moment I came up with one.

And the rain comes (He realises how bad things are)
And the world is on my head (Everything bad what he was speaking about in verses strikes him at the same time, he feels overburdened)
Crave the sun (He wants things to become much better)
But I can’t get out of bed (But he doesn't know how he can change anything, he realises that he is weak and powerless).

Pretty good explanation, huh? :cool:

Another newborn idea.
There are two persons in song - the one who realises how tragic things are (the singer) and the other, who didn't notice that and with whom the first person is speaking. The singer realises that even he opened his eyes now, he still finds that has a lot of similar fears, problems and sins like the person he is talking to.

Camilamazed
07-29-2008, 04:53 PM
That's a good interpretation. But there's more to all the songs in this album.

I've got a lot of questions about it.

Moose
07-29-2008, 04:56 PM
i think:

it's dexter referring to himself.

or

it's dexter writing in the point of view of someone else referring to themselves.

meaning when the person says "you look a lot like me"...it's a bit coy and basically the reason they are saying you look a lot like me, is because, that is them.

it's like a look in the mirror type of deal.

it's reflection.

Rooster
07-29-2008, 05:09 PM
I thought that there were tow persons in the song, too. Perhaps in the verse part the narrator (singer) is asking someone powerfull (on a high position in society or politics) how can he do all that injustice to others (stealing money,...) and in the chorus part the singer tells that he can't deal with everything that the powerfull person wants him to do.

The other explanation would be that there is indeed only one person in the song, and he's asking himself how can he do all those things, and when he realises his actions are wrong he can't deal with what he had become. I'm leaning more towards the second explanation now... I take the picture of a man trying to suffocate himself with his own hands as an evidence in support of this theory too (his own actions drag him down)

edit: i tried to interprete the song as a whole, not line by line

danitanev
07-30-2008, 04:33 AM
Hm, it's nice thread it makes me think - nice!
1. How does it feel? When you have it all? - I think it means the same - do you feel okay when you're having all you need for living - I mean you have material things like money, home, cars... anything!
2. How can you live? With nothing at all? - I think that means - yes you have material things, but no real friends, no family or maybe you just don't have soul, no feelings, no emotions, you are lost in the material world and the question is how can you live like that!
3. Where do you run? Where do you go? - I think that means what are you going to do now where and how you're going to find your lost soul?!
4. When the holes in your truth Are starting to show? - That probably means you thought you could live like that but now you can see you're getting things wrong and everything is fucked up!
5. And the rain comes And the world is on my head - these are the consequences of what was done!
6. Crave the sun But I canít get out of bed - it means you were thinking you're going to reach the sun - high in the sky, but now you realized that you're getting nowhere and the sun is so far away!
7. How can you take? Without giving back? - that means - you got your material world but you gotta pay somehow, so this is the reason your soul got lost!
8. How does it work? When itís really cracked? - it means you got what you want but you were cheating and now things are going harder than you thought and it's not working anymore!
9. How does it feel And no wonder Hearts and minds have been won - I can't understand this part - which hearts and minds have been won maybe it means yes in the begining things were going really nice for you!
10. How does it feel And I wonder How itís all come undone - maybe it means something like in the begining things were going really nice and you thought everything was going to be fine but now everything is fucked up!
11. Want it You got it Youíre sorry You bought it Youíre sliding Want it You got it Youíre sorry You bought it Canít hide it - it means you first got what you want than you're sorry about it cause you lost your soul and you're now sliding to the end of the line!
12.Tell me who do you see Cause you look a lot like me - I guess it's a single person that thinks about life in third person and in the end realizes that it's looking at his or her self and life and it says who do you see cause you look a lot like me - oh, fuck I am you and you are me!
So that was my vision for all the meanings in the lyrics of the song - complicated, messed up, undone... :)

Gustavo
07-30-2008, 11:47 AM

As far as I could understand it's like when everything is just fine in your life, you got everything you've ever wanted.

I think it's like, when you get help and you're not helping.

I've actually never understood the meaning of come undone. :o

I think it is something related to someone who has never faced hard times and this person watches everything falling apart.

dr.vanessa
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I thought that there were tow persons in the song, too. Perhaps in the verse part the narrator (singer) is asking someone powerfull (on a high position in society or politics) how can he do all that injustice to others (stealing money,...) and in the chorus part the singer tells that he can't deal with everything that the powerfull person wants him to do.

The other explanation would be that there is indeed only one person in the song, and he's asking himself how can he do all those things, and when he realises his actions are wrong he can't deal with what he had become. I'm leaning more towards the second explanation now... I take the picture of a man trying to suffocate himself with his own hands as an evidence in support of this theory too (his own actions drag him down)

edit: i tried to interprete the song as a whole, not line by line
Well i think they're both right..the one each of us agrees whith depents on who u r inside and that's what makes a song special and great.Maybe we shouldn't choose one of the two explanations finally but accept them both...
P.S:though my soul agrees w/ the second explanation bit more..lol