PDA

View Full Version : Trusting issues

Camilamazed
07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else wonder what it is all about trusting in the new songs?

I'm still trying to figure out what RFRG has to say and I'm lovin' it.

ZeQuebecois
07-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Yep' I think that the whole album (or almost!) is definatly about trust. You hear the word a lot of times also. It could be the main theme of it?
I think of it in two questions: who are you really and what do you want? (Half-Truism and Hammerhead), and what and how do you want to be with the others(A Lot Like Me, Let's Hear It for Rock Bottom, Takes Me Nowhere and You're Gonna Go Far Kid, at least) How far are you ready to trust your beliefs, and how far are you ready to trust the others.
I have my own interpretation of 'Rise and Fall' , and I think it's clear on the album, when you play it in the order. :rolleyes:

Of course I'm probably wrong, I might have misunderstood the meanings of some songs, but it's my personnal view.

brothadave79
07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I think redemption is another theme:

Trust in You

Takes Me Nowhere ("But today if I change, and stop digging my own grave")

Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? (overcoming past trauma)

Nothingtown (escaping a dead-end situation)

Rock Bottom ("It's hard to know where to start and where to go, I will never say these words again: wasting away...")

Free?
07-30-2008, 03:24 AM
To me RAFRAG is about Rise and Fall (triumph and tragedy... you know, how Dex and Noodles explained themselves), about all things have two sides and while you rise you should ask yourself, doesn't your rise happen at the price of other's fall (You're Gonna Go Far, Kid), and whenever you fall, remember that there is another side and it's possible to turn your fall into rise if you know how (Takes Me Nowhere, Half-Truism). Every song is about either rise or fall, or both of them. Lyrical concept of the album is great if you can see how songs are connected. Your rises and falls happen because of your own decisions (or not making any decisions) and others who either surround you or are far away from you, but still have influence on you (like politicians), in other words, it depends on how good/bad do you do with society and what do you recieve from society. That's where the trusting issues come. Can you really trust some individuals or society? Does society trust you? Can people stop hurting each other because of being ignorant? Is it possible to change things?

The album asks you to reconsider everything that you are used to think/do/see and throw away bad stuff that you have found.

...So, guys, if you really dig at least this deep, then we shouldn't have any big conflicts here. Lets trust each other and respect ones who are strong enough to trust in you ;)

I'm sure that this message looks pretty naive and kinda primitive, I wish my english would be better so I could express myself more gracefully :o

Camilamazed
07-30-2008, 06:25 AM
We do see someone whose trust had been deceived and we also see the deceiver. What is still a mistery is who is telling the story. Sometimes I have the impression it all comes down to one person.

Free?
07-30-2008, 09:40 AM
We do see someone whose trust had been deceived and we also see the deceiver. What is still a mistery is who is telling the story. Sometimes I have the impression it all comes down to one person.

It took 3 times of re-reading to understand what you meant :), and maybe I got it wrong anyway. Are you talking about the imaginable person who is telling the story (author of all the texts of RAFRAG)? And that person is probably both deceived and deceiver at the same time? If so, I don't think that is true, this theory suits fine for some songs (like Trust In You), but not for the whole album. Just imagine Kristy. The one who wounded a child before now is comforting her and say to forget about her childhood trauma. ...and that was Kristy herself. (*cough*)

Imo RAFRAG doesn't have a single narrator who's sharing his thoughts and experience with us, it is like 12 pieces of puzzle that together form a picture, 12 stories which should make you think about the message of the album.

Did I went in completely wrong direction guessing what you were thinking? =D

Camilamazed
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, I guess I didn't make myself clear with my statement, but I'll read the lyrics again and try to make my explanation better.

ZeQuebecois
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
To me RAFRAG is about Rise and Fall (triumph and tragedy... you know, how Dex and Noodles explained themselves), about all things have two sides and while you rise you should ask yourself, doesn't your rise happen at the price of other's fall (You're Gonna Go Far, Kid), and whenever you fall, remember that there is another side and it's possible to turn your fall into rise if you know how (Takes Me Nowhere, Half-Truism). Every song is about either rise or fall, or both of them. Lyrical concept of the album is great if you can see how songs are connected. Your rises and falls happen because of your own decisions (or not making any decisions) and others who either surround you or are far away from you, but still have influence on you (like politicians), in other words, it depends on how good/bad do you do with society and what do you recieve from society. That's where the trusting issues come. Can you really trust some individuals or society? Does society trust you? Can people stop hurting each other because of being ignorant? Is it possible to change things?
[/size]

I totally agree with this whole idea, well explained. ;)

There's one song... Nothingtown. I understand that it might represent a bad experience with which you're stucked, but I have more difficulty to make the links with the rest of the album. (About rage?):confused: (I have more difficulty to understand lyrics too...)

Free?
07-31-2008, 02:08 AM
There's one song... Nothingtown. I understand that it might represent a bad experience with which you're stucked, but I have more difficulty to make the links with the rest of the album. (About rage?):confused: (I have more difficulty to understand lyrics too...)

If you miss the link to the album of any song, just ask yourself, is that song about rise or fall? ;) That's how I start explaining songs.
I think it's about turning your fall into rise. It's a call, asking you to get rid of what you hate about your life. "Still stuck in Nothingtown? Come on, let's go!" However lyrics still have some parts I'd like to be explained.
Shall we start a new thread about Nothingtown lyrics' meanings? :rolleyes:

jacknife737
07-31-2008, 02:35 PM
I totally agree with this whole idea, well explained. ;)

I get more of a despair or apathy vibe from that song.

ZeQuebecois
08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
If you miss the link to the album of any song, just ask yourself, is that song about rise or fall? ;) That's how I start explaining songs.
I think it's about turning your fall into rise. It's a call, asking you to get rid of what you hate about your life. "Still stuck in Nothingtown? Come on, let's go!" However lyrics still have some parts I'd like to be explained.
Shall we start a new thread about Nothingtown lyrics' meanings? :rolleyes:

Yep' theres a lot of both sides, it could be analysed by the community:D (I'll try to follow this thread, if you'd like to make one, but I'll be out a week:() A lot to discuss about (I suddenly gained interest in this song I used to skip...!)

But I see it more as a rise that flops in a fall, particularely '' Why oh why? Are we starting up and going down?''
Or about the determination to try and retry something, eventhough you're dedicated to never success it? Or about the people that blindfoldly try everything, without willpower, and who don't wanna hear how wrong they are? ( Blindfold a new direction, Stop asking better questions, Don't figure out that we're never out.)
Lot of talks about this in perspective =)

F@ BANKZ
08-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Redemption/change seems to be the most prominent theme (to me). Many times they talk about breaking out of destructive "cycles" in the album; I can relate to that very well, which is a reason why the album is so unique (to me). Takes Me Nowhere is the most salient example but there are single lines in many songs pertaining to change/redemption that may well not be coincidental:

"Where it all ends nobody knows"
(most of Trust in You could be interpreted as asking for assistence to escape the cycle; I made a clever post in a thread a while ago analysisng how close these two songs are)
"You lose control"
"Make you how I want you"
(Rock Bottom evidently also looks at the issue in a variety of ways)

It could, however unlikely, be that The Offspring are trying to break out of a cycle musically. It's not what I believe but it is a possibility that they wanted people to interpret the album in that way.

ThunderPX
08-03-2008, 04:49 AM
I think it could be a story too, but the songs might not be in the right order. I'll look into that.