PDA

View Full Version : Computer Died, Need Your Input!

IamSam
07-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Alright folks! My computer just burned itself out (after one short year of life) and now I'm in the market for a new computer. I need a laptop for mobility as I plan on teaching and using my laptop in the classroom. So, I need your impute on the following areas:

1. What are your thoughts on AMD?
2. What brands do you love/hate and why?
3. What must I absolutely get?

Disclaimer: Apple is right out due to price.

Jebus
07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
AMD and Intel price/performance ratio is usually about the same.

disclaimer_07
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Good brands: TOSHIBA, ASUS, Lenovo

Shitty brands: Acer

Just my opinion.

hshduppsnt
07-29-2008, 11:42 PM
are we talking a windows pc?

are you just lecturing and standard internet/word processing/presentations?

or will there be higher performance (photoshop, games etc)... if you do those amd is weak right now...

in anything that will have multiple cores at the moment Intel is beating them significantly in performance so you're going to find similar processors between intel and amd performing differently.

as mentioned above with those brands is generally true (though i've had bad experiences with toshiba - hard drives dying).

dell has ok laptops as well.
edit: compaq/hp is pretty good too

edit 2: you mention price... so I'm going to say tablet is out but as far as durability is concerned - else your lenovo is the way to go, the lenovo/IBM thinkpads tend to be very durable - impressive security (if you wanna lock your accounts) - and can get an extra battery and have that sucker last for quite some time, its relatively thin too. I think those are the best - however they tend to be a little more pricey than the dell/compaq/toshiba level of laptops which are all good.

Splinter[PI]
07-30-2008, 02:17 AM
For the love of god, don't buy an acer.

They look like some retarded tramp made it. And they just... suck.

I've got a HP now, they're great.

and by the way, try to get a laptop with WinXP, not Vista.

disclaimer_07
07-30-2008, 02:52 AM
and by the way, try to get a laptop with WinXP, not Vista.

Quoted for truth. It may be hard though.

Splinter[PI]
07-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Quoted for truth. It may be hard though.

Yep, but some small stores still sell laptops with WinXP. It's more expensive tough.

Oxygene
07-30-2008, 03:26 AM
get a mac

seriously

Stylie
07-30-2008, 03:44 AM
Fujitsu Siemens is known for good PC's, as I know about. We bought this Fujitsu Siemens (not laptop, but'eh...I don't come up woth the word?), and I'm happy about it. Of course Vista was the operative software, but you know, Vista is the future, and XP also had bugs when that come out for the first time. And it's always coming updatings to Vista. So, XP is probably the best NOW, but Vista is the FUTURE.

AMD and Intel is both good. I have AMD.

Otherwise, I like Dell (a frind of mine have that, and I think it's good), Fujitsu Siemens (have it myself and hear much good about that) and maybe Toshiba.

I just don't like Compaq.

Splinter[PI]
07-30-2008, 04:03 AM
Fujitsu Siemens is known for good PC's, as I know about. We bought this Fujitsu Siemens (not laptop, but'eh...I don't come up woth the word?), and I'm happy about it.

2 classmates have got Fujitsu Siemens laptops, and one of the laptops doesn't recognise it's CD drive anymore.

Vista is the future, and XP also had bugs when that come out for the first time. And it's always coming updatings to Vista. So, XP is probably the best NOW, but Vista is the FUTURE.

Actually I'm already looking forward to Windows 7. I've seen some preview stuff of it, and it looks pretty nice.

Otherwise, I like Dell (a frind of mine have that, and I think it's good), Fujitsu Siemens (have it myself and hear much good about that) and maybe Toshiba.

I just don't like Compaq.

Dell is fine, Toshiba too, as long as you handole it with care.

But why do you don't like Compaq? I mean, of course they look a little shitty, and they're not for gaming purposes, but they're great as a business notebook.

Sunny
07-30-2008, 07:15 AM
whatever you do, don't get a Dell. my husband worked for them and knows first hand just how shitty their crap is. oh, and their customer service... forget about it. if i were you, i'd take my money elsewhere, unless you want to shell out over $3k for a fully souped up XPS laptop... which i'm assuming you don't. :]

from what i've seen, Sony Vaio laptops are pretty sweet. i've also heard good things about HP laptops and Lenovo ThinkPads, but never actually used either.

Rag Doll
07-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I have an HP laptop...it's around 3.5 years old. I haven't had any big problems with it. It used to overheat a lot, but it just had a lot of dust/cat hair that would get stuck in it, and I just wasn't cleaning it out enough. Otherwise, the thing works fine, especially since I definitely don't take care of it at all.

My boyfriend, his brother, and his mom all got Dell laptops for christmas. Somehow, his brother's and his mom's don't work anymore. His brother (older brother, not like....5 years old) was the last one on both of them and no one can figure out what he did. So, don't know if it was just that Dells can fuck up easy or if his brother is a moron (or some mix of both).

Stylie
07-30-2008, 07:35 AM
;1164024']2 classmates have got Fujitsu Siemens laptops, and one of the laptops doesn't recognise it's CD drive anymore.

Actually I'm already looking forward to Windows 7. I've seen some preview stuff of it, and it looks pretty nice.

Dell is fine, Toshiba too, as long as you handole it with care.

But why do you don't like Compaq? I mean, of course they look a little shitty, and they're not for gaming purposes, but they're great as a business notebook.

Yep yep. It's problems with every PC, but if you have had a good expirence with a PC you have - you do of course suggest it to others, 'caus it's been a great PC to you. But some can be really unlucky, get the same PC, but have much problem with it. It's just the way it is. :)

Windows 7? Haven't heard of that.

Compaq? Well, I don't have any expirence with it, but none of my friends have it, it doesn't look to well and it's a lot more PC's that's more well-known.

whatever you do, don't get a Dell. my husband worked for them and knows first hand just how shitty their crap is. oh, and their customer service... forget about it. if i were you, i'd take my money elsewhere, unless you want to shell out over $3k for a fully souped up XPS laptop... which i'm assuming you don't. :]

My boyfriend, his brother, and his mom all got Dell laptops for christmas. Somehow, his brother's and his mom's don't work anymore. His brother (older brother, not like....5 years old) was the last one on both of them and no one can figure out what he did. So, don't know if it was just that Dells can fuck up easy or if his brother is a moron (or some mix of both).

Yeye. My friend got this Dell as a gaming computer, and I mean something got wrong with that to, but the service was good when he send it in. They fixed it.

I still think Dell is a good computer, but who knows... ;)
Now we know of three poeple that got something wrong with their Dell-machines, but some other people may not got any issues with it.

nieh
07-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I've got an HP laptop and haven't had any problems with it so far.

hshduppsnt
07-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Windows 7? Haven't heard of that.

Compaq? Well, I don't have any expirence with it, but none of my friends have it, it doesn't look to well and it's a lot more PC's that's more well-known.

I still think Dell is a good computer, but who knows... ;)
Now we know of three poeple that got something wrong with their Dell-machines, but some other people may not got any issues with it.

Windows 7 is the code name for the next operating system - it is supposed to have a lot of the features Vista was supposed to have but dumped. Rumors are internally Microsoft is already giving up on Vista and want to crank out Windows 7 as quickly as they can to rebound.

Compaq's name has gone quiet in recent years when they were bought by HP but before that happened they were the #1 laptop in customer satisfaction/performance/durability etc (aside from the IBM thinkpad which was a real business machine - and the price tag showed). This is why, when they were purchased by HP - the desktops all received the HP name but the laptops remained under compaqs name.

The trick didn't seem to work, however, because you're right, I don't know anyone with a compaq laptop any more either, but they were the best laptop and one of the best desktops.

As for Dell - I also constantly hear this and that - oh their computers are cheap because of crap parts, customer service is this and that - but from personal experience I love my dell desktop.

The truth is all computers have the slight possibility of being lemons, that's why they all have a decently lengthy warranty.

If you're concerned... maybe go get a laptop from Costco - they have a very good 90 day return policy on those ... see what you like for yourself... you won't find durability/customer service answers but at least you can tell how it performs and if you like it etc.

and for the people saying intel and amd performance is the same... i'm telling you again... they're currently not. The minute Intel cranked out the Core 2 Duos AMD fell behind and is scrambling to catch up again on the next generation of processors (and may be doing something interesting after acquiring ATI... but that's beside the point...)

Sunny
07-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Windows 7 is the code name for the next operating system - it is supposed to have a lot of the features Vista was supposed to have but dumped. Rumors are internally Microsoft is already giving up on Vista and want to crank out Windows 7 as quickly as they can to rebound.

hopefully those features will include "not sucking".
my prayers are with the poor folks at Crispin Porter Bogusky who are going to have to try to sell that POS. after the Vista clusterfuck, Windows 7 or whatever is going to need all the ad agency help money can buy.

oh, who am i kidding - it's going to be hysterical. *grabs a soda and popcorn*

hshduppsnt
07-30-2008, 08:57 AM
hopefully those features will include "not sucking".
my prayers are with the poor folks at Crispin Porter Bogusky who are going to have to try to sell that POS. after the Vista clusterfuck, Windows 7 or whatever is going to need all the ad agency help money can buy.

oh, who am i kidding - it's going to be hysterical. *grabs a soda and popcorn*

agreed :). They could be in real trouble if that one tanks too though so I guess we'll see what happens. It's supposed to have a completely different UI.

IamSam
07-30-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm going to go Vista, mainly because it is the future. ;)

See...the Dell I priced vs. the HP was $100+ less. Hmmm...

EDIT: I take that back, the HP is only $60 more. I am probably going to go with them.

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz) edit
15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) edit
3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors edit
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection edit
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!! edit
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit

Splinter[PI]
07-30-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm going to go Vista, mainly because it is the future. ;)

See...the Dell I priced vs. the HP was $100+ less. Hmmm...

EDIT: I take that back, the HP is only $60 more. I am probably going to go with them.

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit) edit
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz) edit
15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) edit
3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - For Core 2 Duo Processors edit
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection edit
160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive from 120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive!! edit
SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit

sounds nice, but will you use the laptop for gaming or things like photoshopping or only email and internet stuff?

oh and could you post a link?

Little_Miss_1565
07-30-2008, 11:03 AM
IamSam, could you get a Mac refurbished for cheaper somewhere? They're like tanks. Mine is 4 years old. I slapped an extra gig of RAM in it last summer and it runs beeeyoootifully.

Sam, your boyfriend's brother could have a weird elecromagnetic field. We all have one to some degree, some more than others. I know people who kill computers in 1 year or less because of their EM field.

0r4ng3
07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Sam, your boyfriend's brother could have a weird elecromagnetic field. We all have one to some degree, some more than others. I know people who kill computers in 1 year or less because of their EM field.
I used to have one that would actually randomly fix broken electronics. I miss it, it could have come in handy a few times recently.

Rag Doll
07-30-2008, 11:31 AM

huh. that's interesting. never heard that before. now he is totally going to be banned from my boyfriend's laptop ;p

hshduppsnt
07-30-2008, 11:56 AM

I used to have one that would actually randomly fix broken electronics. I miss it, it could have come in handy a few times recently.

I've witnessed both and while I never want to believe either it is always amusing and a little odd...

lost_nvrfound
07-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I know you say macs are out of the question, but look into the refurbished ones. Generally, they are never more than a year old and will outlast any pc. The macbookpros are great for everything and are just super slick in every way. I have one that I got for graduation, and I couldn't be more happy with it.

Dell has the worst computers on the market. They aren't reliable and die quick.

My mom had an Hp laptop and the motherboard went bad after less than a year. The cd drive stopped working and no matter what software we got, we couldn't get it to recognize an external floppy drive.

Sony also seems to have some good computers.

I don't know how their laptops are, but Gateways are always solid computers.

But seriously, look into refurbed macs. You can find them on the apple site but they're are also available on a lot of other sites.

Kitten
07-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Alright folks! My computer just burned itself out (after one short year of life) and now I'm in the market for a new computer. I need a laptop for mobility as I plan on teaching and using my laptop in the classroom. So, I need your impute on the following areas:

1. What are your thoughts on AMD?
2. What brands do you love/hate and why?
3. What must I absolutely get?

Disclaimer: Apple is right out due to price.

What went on your computer and what sort was it?

Sunny
07-30-2008, 02:09 PM

dude, i totally have that. could be the fact that i'm such a sex machine.. (ha, ha). but seriously... i fry ipods. i fry them like a pro. without even trying =(

lost_nvrfound
07-31-2008, 07:24 PM
i was talking to my friend today and her familys gone through five hp laptops, all with bad motherboards and cd drives

GreenTerror
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
I don't have any experience with laptops, but I will say that I have a Dell Dimension desktop that's at least 5 years old (I've had it for 4), and, although it may not be the fastest computer, it still works just fine, for as much as it's been through. I mostly just use it for simple things that I know it can handle (Internet, music, IMs, word processor/school stuff, no fancy games or anything). I just can't overload it, but that's because of lack of RAM (just 512mb... Yeah :(), but aside from the small amount of RAM I have, the computer itself is in good shape for its age and how much I use it. I know when I get another computer, I'm probably gonna get another Dell.

Endymion
08-01-2008, 12:08 AM

i'm going to frown and love you anyway.

The Talking Pie
08-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Windows 7 is the code name for the next operating system - it is supposed to have a lot of the features Vista was supposed to have but dumped.

Don't get your hopes up. Look into Windows Cairo; they've had the same gameplan with each release.

The Talking Pie
08-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Anyway, contrary to general consensus, I find Dells to be good. I'm currently running Ubuntu off a Dell Latitude that has a 'Designed for Windows 98' sticker. To me, that says good, long-living hardware.

lost_nvrfound
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
My friend has a Dell that she got for her birthday years ago. It hasn't run right since about two months after she got it.

Splinter[PI]
08-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Did you buy your laptop now?

IamSam
08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I decided against a laptop, mainly because they are out of date almost as soon as you buy them. I decided to keep my old one (bought it in '05 from Dell) and use that for my PowerPoints because it's perfect for it. Instead of a laptop, I bought a Gateway with a Quad Core processor, 6 gigs of Ram, a NVIDIA 9800 512MB card, and a 640 GB HD. For $1149. Heck. Yes.

Thank you all for your input!

lost_nvrfound
08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice. Gateways are good. I have one thats 13 years old and still runs great. Mind you, the software is a decade out of date. I'll sell it someone for $50. any takers? $20...? ...no? okay okay... Just pay shipping and I'll mail it and fax you a ham sandwich.

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
i'm going to frown and love you anyway.

What? Maybe it's not electromagnetic, but it's electro-y somethingorother and it fries electronics like whoa.

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 03:44 AM
I decided against a laptop, mainly because they are out of date almost as soon as you buy them. I decided to keep my old one (bought it in '05 from Dell) and use that for my PowerPoints because it's perfect for it. Instead of a laptop, I bought a Gateway with a Quad Core processor, 6 gigs of Ram, a NVIDIA 9800 512MB card, and a 640 GB HD. For $1149. Heck. Yes.

Thank you all for your input!

64bit OS I guess?

IamSam
08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
;1166139']64bit OS I guess?

Yes. Runs as fast as a cheetah chasing an innocent gazelle on the savanna.