PDA

View Full Version : Category of The Offspring

zsk
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
In wich category would you put the offspring?(wich kind of music-from the following bands)

1.Bad Religion,Pennywise,Rise Against,NOFX... -just normal punk
2.Blink 182,Sum 41,MxPx,Fallout boy -pop punk
3.green day,simple plan -alternative

holland25
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
All three.

zsk
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
PS: Sorry for bad english;)

dff_punk
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Your thread remembers me on other threads.

cool 2 hate 681
07-31-2008, 10:29 AM
they have been all 3 i think

first 3 albums just punk

ixnay to co1 pop punk and splinter thru now is alternative

spidey255
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
since when were green day and simple plan alternative?

RageAndLov
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
and since when was NOFX normal punk?

drex878
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
This thread fails.

Stylie
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM

first 3 albums just punk

Ixnay pop punk? I think I must laugh.... aa HA HA. ^^

Well. The options that fits least is pop punk, I guess. Sure, they have a few pop punk songs, but no.
Otherwise, both 1 and 3 fits good to The Offspring. Or what do you guys think?

dr.vanessa
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM

first 3 albums just punk

I almost agree..maybe a bit more the 1st category.

Tijs
07-31-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm so tempted to edit zsk's post with the 4th option "I don't care".

zsk
07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
since when were green day and simple plan alternative?

green day is definetly alternative!
simple plan is just this soft category

Szandi
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
In wich category would you put the offspring?(wich kind of music-from the following bands)

1.Bad Religion,Pennywise,Rise Against,NOFX... -just normal punk
2.Blink 182,Sum 41,MxPx,Fallout boy -pop punk
3.green day,simple plan -alternative

1 category. this category is skate punk. I think Sex Pistols is the normal punk.
Offspring is skate punk.
green day alternativ????:confused: I don't think.

jacknife737
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
The band's genre should be meaningless as long as you enjoy there music. Just because a band would fall under the "punk" category, doesn't necessarily make it good (glares at the Casualties).

Throughout the Offspring's career their music has fallen under several genres, punk/pop-punk/ska/ alternative. You can't pin a single label on the band.

Although IMO Punk is nothing more than a blanket term (like Rock or Pop) there is no definitive Punk sound (ie a genre where a variety of bands, all with unique sounds, such as the Bosstones, New Found Glory, Black Flag and Pennywise are all enclosed by it). For example, while NoFx is a “punk” band, their sound is made up of pop/ska/hardcore. Pop-punk is not an insult, nor should it be

Rooster
07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
The band's genre should be meaningless as long as you enjoy there music. Just because a band would fall under the "punk" category, doesn't necessarily make it good (glares at the Casualties).

Throughout the Offspring's career their music has fallen under several genres, punk/pop-punk/ska/ alternative. You can't pin a single label on the band.

Although IMO Punk is nothing more than a blanket term (like Rock or Pop) there is no definitive Punk sound (ie a genre where a variety of bands, all with unique sounds, such as the Bosstones, New Found Glory, Black Flag and Pennywise are all enclosed by it). For example, while NoFx is a “punk” band, their sound is made up of pop/ska/hardcore. Pop-punk is not an insult, nor should it be

Absolutely true. The Offspring would fall in all three categories here, but it doesn't really matter. Why even argue about these things? When i got into them (back in 1998, when Anericana came out) i didn't even know what punk rock is, in fact i heard the word punk a year or two later for the first time (i was 9 when i heard Americana for the first time). I got into them because they were (and still are) very good. Fuck the whole genre thing. I don't know why some people judge music by what genre it falls into instead of judging it by how much enjoy the music itself. It's dumb if you say "well, i'm tru punx, so i'll only listen to the tr00 punk rock music". Just listen to the music that you like, do not judge the music by the genre.

Pranksta
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
None of the above.

I've never really thought of them as a punk band. Sure, they have a few punk sounding songs, and their inspirations are mostly punk bands, but as far as the sound of most their music goes, I think of it as just ROCK, plain and simple.

Stylie
07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
None of the above.

I've never really thought of them as a punk band. Sure, they have a few punk sounding songs, and their inspirations are mostly punk bands, but as far as the sound of most their music goes, I think of it as just ROCK, plain and simple.

Ever heard of S/T, Ignition and Smash? :p But seriously, that is punk rock.

Pranksta
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Ever heard of S/T, Ignition and Smash? :p But seriously, that is punk rock.

It's labelled as punk rock.

Rooster
07-31-2008, 04:55 PM

Well, punk is only the short term for punk rock (punk more as an adjective, a version of rock music). From Wikipedia article about punk rock: "Punk rock (often referred to simply as punk)"

Pranksta
07-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Well, punk is only the short term for punk rock (punk more as an adjective, a version of rock music). From Wikipedia article about punk rock: "Punk rock (often referred to simply as punk)"

Not sure what the point of that post was.

Rooster
07-31-2008, 05:20 PM
None of the above.

I thought you were thinking that punk rock is a subgenre of punk, since you never considered The Offspring as a punk band, yet you know those albums were labeled as punk rock.

Pranksta
07-31-2008, 06:26 PM
I thought you were thinking that punk rock is a subgenre of punk, since you never considered The Offspring as a punk band, yet you know those albums were labeled as punk rock.

Punk and punk rock are used interchangeably. When I said punk I implied punk rock.

All I was trying to say was that even though those albums are "labelled" as punk (aka punk rock) by the fans, music industry, w/e, I don't think they sound too much like punk rock.

brian.offspring
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
they went throw all those styles . . .

KHWHD
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Please don't kill me...... but I thought yeeeeeeeeearrrrs ago, The Offspring sounded similar to Blink 182. :o

brian.offspring
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Please don't kill me...... but I thought yeeeeeeeeearrrrs ago, The Offspring sounded similar to Blink 182. :o

what do you mean with "yeeeeeeeeeeeearrrrs ago"?
Ignition/Smash era?

jacknife737
07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
what do you mean with "yeeeeeeeeeeeearrrrs ago"?
Ignition/Smash era?

Well Americana came out about a decade ago (christ i'm getting old)....

KHWHD
07-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Well Americana came out about a decade ago (christ i'm getting old)....

Yep, about 10 years ago. When I started listening to them. :p

IamSam
07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
I'd say they are alternative/pop-punk/punk.

But I agree with someone else that 'I don't care' would have been a great option.

lost_nvrfound
07-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Shit... this such an overemphasized topic. In their 20-some-odd years as a band, of course they've crossed every sub version of rock that I can think of.

The reason most people won't place them in the punk rock category is simply that their music is to well put together and clean. Not meaning clean as in lacking explatives, but in editing and recording. Compare any Ramones recording (records recorded in the early 90s even) to even their self-titled and the shear quality of it is so much greater. The same goes for any band thought of as traditional punk rock.

Thats why both the Offspring and Green Day are often viewed as Alternative. Plain and simple.

Who really gives a fuck?!

KHWHD
07-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Who really gives a fuck?!

Well said! :D

danitanev
08-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I think The Offspring are in group 2 and I think too that blink 182, MXPX are punks and Greenday......, but the truth seems for me like The Offspring are not a part of other groups of bands, they are just The Offspring it's The Offspring style and I think no other band sounds like they sound, so it's The Offspring! :)

Budzy
08-01-2008, 12:26 AM
There should be a 4th choice 'The Offspring'.

zsk
08-01-2008, 01:37 AM
I think The Offspring are in group 2 and I think too that blink 182, MXPX are punks and Greenday......, but the truth seems for me like The Offspring are not a part of other groups of bands, they are just The Offspring it's The Offspring style and I think no other band sounds like they sound, so it's The Offspring! :)

green day punks?:confused:
do you want to twit me?

green day is definetly alternative!

Keep 'em Seperated
08-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Absolutely true. The Offspring would fall in all three categories here, but it doesn't really matter. Why even argue about these things? When i got into them (back in 1998, when Anericana came out) i didn't even know what punk rock is, in fact i heard the word punk a year or two later for the first time (i was 9 when i heard Americana for the first time). I got into them because they were (and still are) very good. Fuck the whole genre thing. I don't know why some people judge music by what genre it falls into instead of judging it by how much enjoy the music itself. It's dumb if you say "well, i'm tru punx, so i'll only listen to the tr00 punk rock music". Just listen to the music that you like, do not judge the music by the genre.

You sir, are a wise man.

Rooster
08-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Punk and punk rock are used interchangeably. When I said punk I implied punk rock.

All I was trying to say was that even though those albums are "labelled" as punk (aka punk rock) by the fans, music industry, w/e, I don't think they sound too much like punk rock.

Ok, alright man. I misunderstood you.

Rooster
08-01-2008, 06:34 AM
You sir, are a wise man.

Thanks :), although i think that everyone here is smart enough and they know that already. Everyone here listens to The Offspring because they are good.

Szandi
08-01-2008, 07:59 AM
"A new era of skate rock (and skateboarding) emerged during this explosion. Bands like Razor Tail, The Offspring, Less Than Jake, NOFX, Lagwagon, blink-182, Face to Face, The Dipshits and others..."

Szandi
08-01-2008, 07:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate_punk

jacknife737
08-01-2008, 02:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skate_punk

Would any musician describe their sound as "skate punk"? And although i can see why the Offspring would be associated with many of the bands that fall under this category, it doesn't seem like a real music genre.

Szandi
08-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Would any musician describe their sound as "skate punk"? And although i can see why the Offspring would be associated with many of the bands that fall under this category, it doesn't seem like a real music genre.

I was reading this. that's it.

lost_nvrfound
08-01-2008, 07:27 PM
I'll quote the me of three years ago by saying:

"how about we just create a whole new genre of music solely for the offspring so that people don't get into those asinine arguements about whether they are punk or not... "

effreyj
08-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I'd classify them with AFI and Green Day

zsk
08-02-2008, 08:49 AM
more bad religion and nofx:cool:

ZeQuebecois
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
It's hard to say, because today's The Offspring sounds different than 1995's The Offspring. And these music genres are evolving too...

But I think RFRG was classed as 'Alternative' album, wasn't it?

Szandi
08-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Origin:
Garden Grove, California, USA

Genre(s):
Punk rock
Pop punk
Skate punk

Years active:
1984 – present

Label(s):

Label(s) Black Label Records (1987)
Nemesis Records (1988–1991)
Epitaph Records (1991–1997)
Nitro Records (1995)
Columbia Records (1996–present)

Associated acts:
Face to Face
Alkaline Trio
Saves the Day
Steady Ground

Website www.offspring.com

Rutegard
08-03-2008, 02:43 PM
if you read m.offspring.r signature...it says...

New definition for The Offspring => "hard-driving heavy metal band" (@ this)

LOL

i think i quote this one ahah

Szandi
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
if you read m.offspring.r signature...it says...

New definition for The Offspring => "hard-driving heavy metal band" (@ this)

LOL

i think i quote this one ahah

ehehehe

yes I think..Offspring is a heavy metal band.:D maybe satanist metal...

Rutegard
08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
ehehehe

yes I think..Offspring is a heavy metal band.:D maybe satanist metal...

yes satanic suits them better :D LOL :p

Szandi
08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
yes satanic suits them :D LOL :p

yeah...now I understand this:

"Your body glistens in candlelight,As we all look on in fiendish delight,The ritual is just beginning."

Rutegard
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah...now I understand this:

"Your body glistens in candlelight,As we all look on in fiendish delight,The ritual is just beginning."

ahhahahha

dark!!

very dark!!
:cool:;)

Szandi
08-03-2008, 03:16 PM
ahhahahha

dark!!

very dark!!
:cool:;)

and this:
"Watch you spurt like a garden hose, Beheaded Bloody mess all over my clothes"

m.offspring.r
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
\m/ Heavy/Black metal \m/ ehehehe

danitanev
08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
All three.

I think that The Offspring are absolute champions in the Super Heavyweight category! :D

Szandi
08-04-2008, 12:43 PM
and this is the angel of hell:

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.punknews.org/images/covers/offspring-rise_and_fall.jpg&usg=AFQjCNEYtSQnGOu7lUro3PwqNLFypqDqPQ