PDA

View Full Version : Univers phenomenons!

Stylie
08-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Uhm, I don't know how to say this in english, so the title is also maybe wrong?
Well, anyway! I don't know what it's called in english, but today the moon has passed the sun - anybody must know about this. It's soon over now, but it's damn fascinating! :D

I've seen it here in Norway, and it's very cool. I got some pictures when the sun was behind some clouds (couldn't take picture right against the sun). You got some pictures, or wanna share some stories?

Tijs
08-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Eclipse.

Some news sites said we couldn't see it over here because it would be too cloudy. But now that I look out of my window I see nothing but clear blue sky.
Didn't miss too much though, since it didn't fully cover the sun.

Stylie
08-01-2008, 04:36 AM
Eclipse.

Some news sites said we couldn't see it over here because it would be too cloudy. But now that I look out of my window I see nothing but clear blue sky.
Didn't miss too much though, since it didn't fully cover the sun.

Maybe it didn't there, but yes, it did over here. Not exactly where I live, but longer up in my country they could see that the moon cover the sun totally. First since 1954. ;)

Rooster
08-01-2008, 07:40 AM
I totally forgot about this... But here the Moon only partialy covered the Sun, and i've seen that a few times already...

When the Moon will fully cover the Sun where i live, i'll be around 90 years old (if not already dead). But if i would be alive that day... i'd organise a drink fest and got so drunk that i would miss everything anyway :D

Stylie
08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
I totally forgot about this... But here the Moon only partialy covered the Sun, and i've seen that a few times already...

When the Moon will fully cover the Sun where i live, i'll be around 90 years old (if not already dead). But if i would be alive that day... i'd organise a drink fest and got so drunk that i would miss everything anyway :D

Heheh. Well, the moon didn't cover the sun 100% where I live, but as I said, longer up in Norway it got covered 100%, and that's 54 years since last time.

I upload some pictures soon!

Rooster
08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
A bit off-topic, but since we talk about the universe here, i thought this would be the right place to post this.

I'm not sure, maybe you already heard this. I heard on the news today that one of the robots (not sure which one) on Mars discovered ice (and therefore confirmed the existance of water on Mars).

Stylie
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
A bit off-topic, but since we talk about the universe here, i thought this would be the right place to post this.

I'm not sure, maybe you already heard this. I heard on the news today that one of the robots (not sure which one) on Mars discovered ice (and therefore confirmed the existance of water on Mars).

That's not off-topic. ^^
And yep, I heard it. Fascinating! Maybe one day we can live on Mars, huh.

Tijs
08-01-2008, 06:01 PM
They discovered ice before on Mars, but they now confirmed they discovered ice which contains water. Let's just hope there's enough for a possible base of some kind.

Not too long ago they discovered water on the Moon, too. NASA is already planning a 'city' up there.

Rooster
08-01-2008, 06:15 PM
That's not off-topic. ^^
And yep, I heard it. Fascinating! Maybe one day we can live on Mars, huh.

Maybe... I can imagine... If i ever move to Mars, i'd probably make a drink fest first to celebrate (yep, you read correctly, a drink fest :D), and then i d probably be like "WTF ZOMG?!?! MARS? Maaan, i'm halucinating, i gotta stop drinking..."

Anyway, it would be interesting to live there.

Stylie
08-01-2008, 06:39 PM
They discovered ice before on Mars, but they now confirmed they discovered ice which contains water. Let's just hope there's enough for a possible base of some kind.

Not too long ago they discovered water on the Moon, too. NASA is already planning a 'city' up there.

Ah, I didn't know that.
They are planning to make a little city on the moon? Wow. How would they do that?

Maybe... I can imagine... If i ever move to Mars, i'd probably make a drink fest first to celebrate (yep, you read correctly, a drink fest :D), and then i d probably be like "WTF ZOMG?!?! MARS? Maaan, i'm halucinating, i gotta stop drinking..."

Anyway, it would be interesting to live there.

Damn, you and your drinks. xD
But yeah, it would be interesting, heh. You would invite me to the "drink fest", right?

nieh
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
There's a meteor shower coming up in a week or so. It peaks the 11th or 12th at like 2am (no matter where you live).

Rooster
08-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Ah, I didn't know that.
They are planning to make a little city on the moon? Wow. How would they do that?

Damn, you and your drinks. xD
But yeah, it would be interesting, heh. You would invite me to the "drink fest", right?

Actually i read somewhere about them planning a base on the moon, too. Now i wonder if they will find some bacteria on Mars... It seems unlikely to me that we are alone in the whole universe, and it would be interesting to find live organisms on a planet so near us.

Nooo, i wouldn't invite you, it would be bad for your liver.... I'm just kidding, of course you would be invited, we'd be drinking till we couldn't piss straight anymore :D

Tijs
08-02-2008, 06:50 AM
It's going to be more of a base than a city though. But people will live there for about half a year. There will be homes with TV's, internet and all that. They're going to need roads to get from one point to another. So it won't be a city like on earth. Just a tiny little city.

Sunny
08-02-2008, 07:18 AM
wow, i thought this would be about the typeface Univers.

fuck.

i need a life, now.

Stylie
08-02-2008, 08:42 AM
There's a meteor shower coming up in a week or so. It peaks the 11th or 12th at like 2am (no matter where you live).

Meteor shower?

Actually i read somewhere about them planning a base on the moon, too. Now i wonder if they will find some bacteria on Mars... It seems unlikely to me that we are alone in the whole universe, and it would be interesting to find live organisms on a planet so near us.

Nooo, i wouldn't invite you, it would be bad for your liver.... I'm just kidding, of course you would be invited, we'd be drinking till we couldn't piss straight anymore :D

I'm saying: OF COURSE we're not alone here in this universe. We, the earth, is a little tiny snowflake compared to the whole unviers. Why should it just be life here? It's millions of stars, planets and so on.

Ah, I love this, it's all so unknown and fasciniting. :D

It's going to be more of a base than a city though. But people will live there for about half a year. There will be homes with TV's, internet and all that. They're going to need roads to get from one point to another. So it won't be a city like on earth. Just a tiny little city.

Man, that's interesting! Do you have a link, so I could read more about it?

Tijs
08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
I've only read about it in Dutch. I'll try to find something in English. One of the pages links to this though:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4406564.ece

edit: and:
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080728/full/news.2008.987.html

Tijs
08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Life on Mars?: I just read a news item that president Bush wash informed about a major discovery on Mars, more important than the discovery of water on the planet. What exactly isn't publicly known yet.. so it could be anything from fossils, actual live or whatever conspiracy you can come up with. Exciting!

Stylie
08-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I've only read about it in Dutch. I'll try to find something in English. One of the pages links to this though:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4406564.ece

edit: and:
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080728/full/news.2008.987.html
Thanks, gonna read about it later!

Life on Mars?: I just read a news item that president Bush wash informed about a major discovery on Mars, more important than the discovery of water on the planet. What exactly isn't publicly known yet.. so it could be anything from fossils, actual live or whatever conspiracy you can come up with. Exciting!
More important than the water-thing? Wow. Yeah, that's VERY exciting!

Btw...you know about a more suitable title and stuff for the thread, maybe? 'Caus I haven't talked about this in english before, so I really don't know, heh.

Rooster
08-02-2008, 05:43 PM

WOW, post when you find out anything new about this...

Llamas
08-02-2008, 11:27 PM

I think it's impossible that we're the only intelligent life in the universe... but I still think it's most likely that we're the only intelligent life in our solar system.

He probably found there's oil there... gotta go invade Mars! Teach the aliens democracy!

Rooster
08-03-2008, 06:45 AM
He probably found there's oil there... gotta go invade Mars! Teach the aliens democracy!

ROTFL :D:D

Tasks of the next mission to Mars will include this:
http://www.jessicaswell.com/images/mars_pumper.jpg
edit: couldn't find any better picture

HeadAroundU
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/08/02/the-white-house-is-briefed-phoenix-about-to-announce-potential-for-life-on-mars/

Davin Says:
August 2nd, 2008 at 8:08 am
Now how did Saddam hide his WMDs all the way up there?

LOL

Stylie
08-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Damnit, I missed the moon(put in the right word)! Gah.
You know, when the earth is right in the middle of the sun and the moon and the moon get's dark.

Endymion
08-16-2008, 06:11 PM
You know, when the earth is right in the middle of the sun and the moon and the moon get's dark.

lunar eclipse.

Stylie
08-16-2008, 06:55 PM
lunar eclipse.

Thanks! :)

ad8
08-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Cool. I saw that, too:) But no one talked about it in Germany and I would have missed it if I hadn't been out last night.