PDA

View Full Version : Dexter! Dont say this again!!!

mrs_hollandova
08-01-2008, 09:16 AM
In this interview http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1070609_2,00.html is Dexter talking about flying around the world and he said that not-american AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS have poor english. Well... I am an air traffic controller and Im from Slovakia. I know my english is not great, but Dexter as well as many american people cant speak any other language.
And many pilots have poor english too. So? What if french will be aviation language? Dexter would probably ride a bike hehe :p

KHWHD
08-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I think he'd learn other languages if need be before he'd give up his love of flying.

Steph
08-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Dexter would probably ride a bike hehe :p
Lol, possible :P

But that's true, people complain about the others that 'can't speak' english though they wouldn't say a word in a langue of country they came to...

Jojan
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
This should go into the politics part.

Little_Miss_1565
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Aw, c'mon...don't take it so personally. Dexter's really a sweet guy, I'm sure he meant nothing by the comment.

Free?
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Dexter said the truth and he wasn't offensive :) . I find rrrreally difficult to communicate with people from England with STRONG brittish accent. It's alot easier to have a type- rather than voice-chat to me.
Are you sure that Dexter can only speak English? Idk, would be interesting to figure out if he knows any other languages.

zsk
08-01-2008, 11:39 AM
I think he'd learn other languages if need be before he'd give up his love of flying.

look at noodles he's spaeking german:D
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=ej2Iv5TBYsA

it's actually terrible:D

he said:"Ich denk das du bist sehr schon!"
it sounds like a real german,good job noodles!
grammaticaly correct:
"Ich denke,dass du sehr schön bist!"

mrs_hollandova
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM

grammaticaly correct:

Hehe, thats nice. Its not so terrible ;)

KHWHD
08-01-2008, 11:52 AM

grammaticaly correct:

Holy shit, look at all the people! Sorry, couldn't understand a word. :p I speak/understand french is it. ;)

F@ BANKZ
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
With political correctness nowadays we have to discriminate against ever more obscure groups so that nobody with retaliate. It would appear that on this occasion Dexter's infamous Tuvaluan tactlessness has let him down again.

Oxygene
08-01-2008, 12:54 PM
In this interview http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1070609_2,00.html is Dexter talking about flying around the world and he said that not-american AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS have poor english. Well... I am an air traffic controller and Im from Slovakia. I know my english is not great, but Dexter as well as many american people cant speak any other language.
And many pilots have poor english too. So? What if french will be aviation language? Dexter would probably ride a bike hehe :p

Give him a break, it's cool you are an air traffic controller.. it's very rad :)

Mike_911
08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Give him a break, it's cool you are an air traffic controller.. it's very rad :)

dude get on msn

holland25
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Holy shit! You are the guy that first mentioned he owns Tehran Demo Cassette!

Rooster
08-01-2008, 03:56 PM

grammaticaly correct:

Honestly, he's better at german than i am.

And Dexter probably ment that it's difficult to understand their accent... I mean, everyone i know says i'm good at english, last month some relatives from Australia came to visit us, and i talked with them in english just as easily as we would talk in my mother language, but i'm aware that my accent isn't perfect (it's not bad at all, but it could be a bit better)... And for a pilot it is crucial to understand everything controllers say. I'm sure he didn't mean anything bad.

Pranksta
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't get it. He stated a fact that you admitted is true... what's wrong with that? It's not like he said anything untrue or offensive.

brothadave79
08-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Honestly, he's better at german than i am.

And Dexter probably ment that it's difficult to understand their accent... I mean, everyone i know says i'm good at english, last month some relatives from Australia came to visit us, and i talked with them in english just as easily as we would talk in my mother language, but i'm aware that my accent isn't perfect (it's not bad at all, but it could be a bit better)... And for a pilot it is crucial to understand everything controllers say. I'm sure he didn't mean anything bad.

Add to that the fact that it's over a radio, which does little to clarify things.

Hombre
08-01-2008, 06:55 PM
"What really threw me off was that Russia was the only place that talked in meters. I probably should have taken the class."
Guys,help me understand what the Dexter say.Is he says that only in Russia we use kilometeres and don't use miles?

Gustavo
08-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Ah, I'm sure he did not say it in an offensive way. There are lots of people where who don't have English as their first language, like me, for example, my native language is Portuguese. I know I will never speak English like an American, a Australian, or a british. And, for me it's really hard to understand British people, their accent drive me crazy!
I am Brazilian, and I've seen a lot of non-brazilian people speaking portuguese, their way to speak is totally different than ours, like... An american will never speak Portuguese like me, and I will never speak english like an American.

jacknife737
08-01-2008, 10:40 PM
"What really threw me off was that Russia was the only place that talked in meters. I probably should have taken the class."
Guys,help me understand what the Dexter say.Is he says that only in Russia we use kilometeres and don't use miles?

Yes, he's saying that in Russia, the officials/airport staff used the Metric system, instead of the Imperial measurement system.

Rooster
08-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Add to that the fact that it's over a radio, which does little to clarify things.

Yeah, if the reception isn't great, it could be a problem... I'm not a pilot myself (and i don't have a desire to be one), but i can imagine the problems with the radio (either because of a storm or something). Bad reception + bad accent of a controller = not very healthy for the pilot (and the crew and passengers)

mrs_hollandova
08-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Yeah, if the reception isn't great, it could be a problem... I'm not a pilot myself (and i don't have a desire to be one), but i can imagine the problems with the radio (either because of a storm or something). Bad reception + bad accent of a controller = not very healthy for the pilot (and the crew and passengers)

This communication have phrases, its not "talking". Its not difficult to understand when you know what to expect. I think american people still have some problem with Russia, and if there is no reason, they just make it.
I know Dexter is smart man, but all world is not waiting for his majesty to serve him.

Rooster
08-02-2008, 06:18 AM
This communication have phrases, its not "talking". Its not difficult to understand when you know what to expect. I think american people still have some problem with Russia, and if there is no reason, they just make it.
I know Dexter is smart man, but all world is not waiting for his majesty to serve him.

Well, i know they have phrases, but you still need to understand the controller which runway is free to land on, to what height you should drop, how fast you should approach the airport etc., and it could be a bit hard to understand the numbers (and other commands too) if spoken in a strong accent. Just remember how similar some numbers pronounce (thirteen similar to thirty etc). I assume you know these things, being an air traffic controller yourself. And it's not like Dexter would want to say "All of you non-american midgets are stupid, because you don't speak english well", he didn't mean anything bad. Why did it offend you so much, if you admitted yourself that you don't speak english perfectly?

KHWHD
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Why did it offend you so much, if you admitted yourself that you don't speak english perfectly?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think you over-reacted a tad too much.

drummerbecca
08-02-2008, 06:30 AM

Ahem, over-reacting, much? Why do you feel that a reference to the fact that Russians use a different measurement system is some kind of personal attack? Get a grip.

HeadAroundU
08-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Yes, but he probably meant the countries he flew over. But I think he had to fly over more countries with the metric system. (Which is superior to other systems. :D) We have it in Slovakia too.

zsk
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM

i could say american people are so bad in german:rolleyes:
but i don't do because some german people(like me) are bad in english,too

Rutegard
08-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Dexter said the truth and he wasn't offensive :) . I find rrrreally difficult to communicate with people from England with STRONG brittish accent. It's alot easier to have a type- rather than voice-chat to me.
Are you sure that Dexter can only speak English? Idk, would be interesting to figure out if he knows any other languages.

probably he knows some spanish...some words at least LOL

and yeah...dex said that but i'm sure he didn't want that to sound offensive in any way....

dex is dex...you all know him right?:cool:

Rutegard
08-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Yes, but he probably meant the countries he flew over. But I think he had to fly over more countries with the metric system. (Which is superior to other systems. :D) We have it in Slovakia too.

oh...airport thing huh?...

superior?? eheheh

THAT'S RIGHT :D