PDA

View Full Version : Recording Question

Ryder1234
08-01-2008, 11:06 PM
So I know the way I'm hooking my amp up to my computer is wrong, but I don't know how to correctly. I currently run a cable from the direct out jack on my amp to the microphone jack on my PC. This is obviously the wrong way (If it's the right way, I must be doing something wrong because I'm getting really shitty quality recordings from it), so my question is, is there a way I can get any good quality recordings with just an amp running directly to my PC, or do I need to buy something for my computer?

lost_nvrfound
08-01-2008, 11:34 PM
your best bet for good sound is to get a decent amp mic and just place it in front of the amp. direct hookups are screwy no matter what you do (unless of course you have a $50000 recording set up... then its a different story)

Ryder1234
08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah I thought about that. Would that also hook into the mic jack? Or do I need a drive for my PC or something?

randman21
08-02-2008, 02:14 AM
Yep, you'd plug into the mic jack. Or, if you have a mixer, run the mic through that and into the "line in". I've heard home recording can turn into a money pit, but if you just want to keep it simple, you won't need much.

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
What we had was a preamp that ran into the computer via USB or some shit....I think it was a MOTU. We had a few other amps that ran into it that we'd plug the guitar and bass amp mics into before going into the MOTU, but that setup gave us professional sounding tracks. Hopefully the album will be mixed soon. :)

lost_nvrfound
08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Pre-amps... I always forget them as their own entity.

Homer
08-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Turn your amp's volume DOWN!

Trust me, I record with my amp hooked up through the mic jack all of the time.

Ryder1234
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
How do you eliminate that static sound though? Or does it go away when you turn down?

Little_Miss_1565
08-03-2008, 12:18 AM
How do you eliminate that static sound though? Or does it go away when you turn down?

It should lessen when you turn the volume down, but that sound is usually because of interference from the surroundings.

Ryder1234
08-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Oh yeah, I guess standing near a PC while plugged in could do that.

Should I be looking into programs as well? Or does it make a difference? Curently I use RecordPad by NHC Swift Sound or something.

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok, I'm gonna go record something now, just something quick, and you can judge it. I was just tried playing through my microphone jack (like, the sound comes through my PC speakers), and it sounded pretty bad. But who knows? Maybe when I listen to the recording, it'll be good quality. Maybe it'll enhance it a bit.

EDIT: I recorded Kick Him when He's Down, and a riff I came up with a while back. And I wasn't really trying, so there are some parts in KHWHD that I deliberately played wrong.

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Here's the download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/135450921/Recordings.zip.html

They're in a .zip file. Also, they're .wav files, but I didn't go through the trouble of converting them due to the fact that this isn't something you're gonna keep.

KHWHD
08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Here's the download link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/135450921/Recordings.zip.html

They're in a .zip file. Also, they're .wav files, but I didn't go through the trouble of converting them due to the fact that this isn't something you're gonna keep.

VERY nicely done. Great work, sounds amazing!

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks! I think once I get the static problem and such worked out, I'll go into more detail/play all the parts right. I'm defiantly thinking of getting an amp mic. Any ideas on cost anyone?

KHWHD
08-06-2008, 11:22 PM
It was kind of weird hearing it without bass/drums/vocals, but I honestly was singing along with it. :)

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Hehe. Well you never know my sister has a microphone maybe I'll borrow it next time :). I actually do sing when playing guitar to the song.

Actually, I could probably get a bass to use too. This could turn into something...

EDIT: If I actually can get everything but drums, I'll just go to my music store and plug into some electric drums haha. surprising even to me, I can play drums with relative ease.

Little_Miss_1565
08-07-2008, 12:12 AM
I think the hiss on the recording might actually from not having a strong enough signal coming from your amp rather than having too much of one. It sounds like the not-enough-above-the-noise-floor hiss to me. If it was just your guitar going straight into your PC I'd say you needed a preamp, but if it's the direct out on your amp...what kind of amp are you using, by the way?

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 12:17 AM
So I think tommorow I'll record KHWHD again, and despite the static thing (I'll try to fix it a bit first though), I'll play everything correctly. Maybe I'll use two guitar tracks or something.

Little_Miss_1565
08-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Your playing sounded fine to me, but I'm also a little tipsy. But still! It sounded cool.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry that actually wasnt a reply to you. When I started typing you hadnt replied yet. But still, thanks!

Also, I'm using a Line 6 Spider II amp.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Also, could it have something to do with the cable Im using to hook up to my PC? If I remember correctly, I just grabbed a random cable in Radioshack that fit.

SK8rocka
08-07-2008, 01:50 AM
What i usaly do is just plug the guitar stright into the back of my computer.
but then i have the problem of a no distorsioned shitty wal mart amp sound so i have a built-in vintage effects pedal. is awesome
oh.....btw what program are you using, I use magix music maker 14 2008....its a great program and i would recomend it to anyone. and one more thing..what guitar are you using...i sometimes use my washburn x 12 or my ibanez Rx. whoa i cant belive i just typed all that........

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 02:02 AM
I use my Ibanez RG, and sometimes my Ibanez Gio or Squier Vintage Telecaster.

SK8rocka
08-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I use my Ibanez RG, and sometimes my Ibanez Gio or Squier Vintage Telecaster.

aww man i wish i had money *starts to cry*

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 02:09 AM
and my program could easily be a problem. I use RecordPad by NHC Swift sound. its probably shit, especially since its the trial verision. but i dont have much to compare it to, except Sound Recorder.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 02:14 AM
aww man i wish i had money *starts to cry*

haha I only bought the squier ;):p

Homer
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Also, I'm using a Line 6 Spider II amp.

!@#%4

That's the same as my amp.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
haha sweet. I guess I just have to do pretty much what you do, then. Any suggestions for a program to start?

Homer
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I use Acoustica Mixcraft, it seems to work really well with hooking up an amp directly into the microphone jack.

I know for a fact that there are some programs that don't work well with that method of recording, so I recommend that program mentioned above. Though, it's uh, hard to get for free.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm just looking for something free. I'll look for it though.

randman21
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I use Adobe Audition (1.5), which is also, uh, hard to get for free, but I guess I would recommend Audacity. It seemed to work pretty well for the time I was using it. And it's free.

EDIT: Heh, I've just listened to the recordings, and I've never heard that much constant hiss before. Sounds like a waterfall.;) I couldn't begin to give suggestions for that. Guitar sounds great, though.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I tried Audacity once, but it tried to open in DOS, and my PC doesn't agree with DOS.

So, I found a trial of Acoustica Mixcraft, and basically the only difference is that it expires at some point, which isn't a big deal, since I can just re-install it.

Also, I tried Sk8rocka's method, and hooked the cable to my computer into my Tubescreamer, and that runs to the guitar. It got rid of the hiss, but it sounded like shit.

And thanks for the comments! :)

lost_nvrfound
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Also, could it have something to do with the cable Im using to hook up to my PC? If I remember correctly, I just grabbed a random cable in Radioshack that fit.
That is really a good possibility. The cable you are using may not be itended for that kind of use, so you may be overloading it.

Recording mics in general are expensive. You could try looking them up on Musiciansfriend.com which tends to have pretty standard pricing for such things.

Now that I am listening to the recording, I really do think it may be the cable. I've had a lot of problems like this in the past. Go to a music store in your area and find out what they recommended (granted that not all music stores carry recording equipment, but there is probably at least one in your area that will carry at least the basics) It'll cost more than the cab;e you have now, but hopefully it would take care of the problem, or at least lessen it.

PS: Not bad playin btw. :)

Homer
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM
So, I found a trial of Acoustica Mixcraft, and basically the only difference is that it expires at some point, which isn't a big deal, since I can just re-install it.

PM me your email, and I'll send you a file that uh... has advantages.

And by file I mean my recordings...

Also, Audacity doesn't work with the method of recording stated in this thread.

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 11:13 PM
PM me your email, and I'll send you a file that uh... has advantages.

And by file I mean my recordings...

Also, Audacity doesn't work with the method of recording stated in this thread.

PM sent.

Now that I am listening to the recording, I really do think it may be the cable. I've had a lot of problems like this in the past. Go to a music store in your area and find out what they recommended (granted that not all music stores carry recording equipment, but there is probably at least one in your area that will carry at least the basics) It'll cost more than the cab;e you have now, but hopefully it would take care of the problem, or at least lessen it.

PS: Not bad playin btw. :)

I'm fairly sure my cable cost about 5 bucks :p. And if you think thats bad, I originally used some cable I got for those electronic beyblade launchers, with an adaptor for my amp, back when beyblades were cool.

I'll probably go to my music store and check out some of the cables they have later this month. I get payed middle of the month.

Thanks for the comment! :)

(PS, they call Radioshack "The Source (by Circuit City) here now. What the hell kinda name is that?)

lost_nvrfound
08-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm fairly sure my cable cost about 5 bucks :p. And if you think thats bad, I originally used some cable I got for those electronic beyblade launchers, with an adaptor for my amp, back when beyblades were cool.
been there... done similar to that... i think we've all been guilty of that at one time or another... at least that is safer than using a guitar amp cable as a speaker cable (tends to be a BIT of a firehazard... what with the sparks n all...)...

(PS, they call Radioshack "The Source (by Circuit City) here now. What the hell kinda name is that?)
The Source... That sounds like some bad club or gym...

Homer
08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
PM sent.

Email sent .

Ryder1234
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Got the email, I'll let you know how it goes. I don't have internet on the PC I use to record though, so I'll have to transfer the files with USB, and I don't feel like doing that right now.

Ryder1234
08-08-2008, 11:45 PM
So apparently, Acoustica Mixcraft needs to connect to the internet to install. Either I can find something else, or install it on this PC, and then transfer the files to my PC.

Anyways, I really wanted to record something, so you're all gonna have to deal with the static. It's a guitar only demo of Crossroads. I did the solo, too. But its a bit out of sync. Not by much.

http://rapidshare.com/files/135972642/Crossroads__Guitar_only_demo_.wav.html

Edit: I fixed the timing, post it tomorrow.

SK8rocka
08-09-2008, 06:12 PM
So apparently, Acoustica Mixcraft needs to connect to the internet to install. Either I can find something else, or install it on this PC, and then transfer the files to my PC.

Anyways, I really wanted to record something, so you're all gonna have to deal with the static. It's a guitar only demo of Crossroads. I did the solo, too. But its a bit out of sync. Not by much.

http://rapidshare.com/files/135972642/Crossroads__Guitar_only_demo_.wav.html

Edit: I fixed the timing, post it tomorrow.

Try magix music maker I SWEAR it is so easy. and makes a good quality mp3 or anything else.

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 01:03 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/136351891/Spare_Me_the_Details__Guitar_only_demo_.mp3.html

Spare Me the Details. Shank asked me to make this. (It's an mp3 this time.)

Sk8rocka, I've downloaded Magix Music Maker, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. I'll install and upload something later though, to see if it makes a difference.

Ryder1234
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Update: That program didn't make a difference.

SK8rocka
08-11-2008, 04:08 PM
huh? ok here are some segestions if the program didnt work.
(i had the same problem ages ago)

1. maybe get a better mic or put a spongy thing over it (thats what fixed my wal-mart-ish msn microphone).
if you want ill record some riffs and show u what mine sonnds like
2.maybe reduce the hiss on ur amp.(if it has any)

Questions:

1.what micraphone are u using.(is it cheap)
2.what music maker r u using.
3. if all else fails get an adapter so u can plug ur guitar straight into the back of ur computer.
4.get a new sound board 4 ur computer.

SK8rocka
08-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I tried Audacity once, but it tried to open in DOS, and my PC doesn't agree with DOS.

Also, I tried Sk8rocka's method, and hooked the cable to my computer into my Tubescreamer, and that runs to the guitar. It got rid of the hiss, but it sounded like shit.

And thanks for the comments! :)

yeh it sounds like shit so (no distorsion) so u just use an exect pedal if you have one.

Ryder1234
08-11-2008, 04:13 PM
huh? ok here are some segestions if the program didnt work.
(i had the same problem ages ago)

1. maybe get a better mic or put a spongy thing over it (thats what fixed my wal-mart-ish msn microphone).
if you want ill record some riffs and show u what mine sonnds like
2.maybe reduce the hiss on ur amp.(if it has any)

Questions:

1.what micraphone are u using.(is it cheap)
2.what music maker r u using.
3. if all else fails get an adapter so u can plug ur guitar straight into the back of ur computer.
4.get a new sound board 4 ur computer.

As I've said before, I don't use a mic. I hook a cable from my amp (coming out of a jack on my amp) to the mic jack on my PC.

lost_nvrfound
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
As I've said before, I don't use a mic. I hook a cable from my amp (coming out of a jack on my amp) to the mic jack on my PC.

yeah... listening to the new ones... definitely thinking that your cable is not made to handle the amps out put...

i really enjoy your playing though.

Homer
08-12-2008, 11:42 PM
I recommend the notion of getting a new patch cord.

Ryder1234
08-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Yeah, I also need a new patch cord, but the one going to my guitar (from my pedal) is still perfect.

Ryder1234
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
So, today I went to Long and Mcquade to get a new cable for recording. While I was there, I spied a bin full of discount shit. I go and look in, and there's some Apex microphones, and they're extremely cheap. But good quality, just reduced in price. I only had $45, so I had to spend wisely. I looked at the 3 models they had (750,850, and 950), and the 950 was the only one with the right hook up. It was also the cheapest ($19.99), but when I asked one of the staff, he said that it wouldn't make much of a difference, so I grabbed it, and an adapter for 3 bucks. I went to the guitar cables, grabbed a 3 footer for $7.50, and a pack of 6 picks for $2.50. I realized after how good of a deal it all was, since I still had about 10 bucks leftover. Then my dad (who was driving), took us to Rona so he could get something, and I found these shears that looked like they were made of plastic, so I ran my finger across the blade, and what do you know? It was medal. And sharp. Now I have a gash in my finger. Of course, a finger on my left hand. If it was my right hand, I could live with it.

So I get home, set everything up, but since my finger hurt, I just banged out a few power chords to see if the mic worked (at reducing static). Lo and behold, it did! problem solved. Well, half solved. I didn't have enough money to buy a stand for the mic, so I needed a quick fix for that. I took my Wah Wah pedal and set it to the steepest it could go. Then I put the mic on it in front of the amp. Aren't I cool. :rolleyes:

I would like to get up a recording so you can judge it (this time I wont edit it or add any effects so that you can judge it the way it is), but I don't want to fuck up the gash in my finger anymore, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. I might just tough it out later tonight though.

T-6005
08-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Mixer mixer mixer. Everything I used to do sounded shit under I got my act together and spent a paltry amount on a low-end mixer.

Also it gives you the advantage of being able to use a consender if it has phantom power as an option. But of course that's a step up in budget.

Ryder1234
08-16-2008, 06:08 PM
I saw some mixers today that I would like. But with 45 bucks, I`m still surprised that I still have 10 bucks leftover. I'll get one eventually though.

Ryder1234
05-16-2009, 11:35 PM
bump

i bought a really nice mic ($155) today, and a preamp. stepping up from my $20 mic. it needs phantom power but the preamp has it it's sweet

but, uh, i dont really know how to use the preamp. i have both input and output at the lowest level they can go and im getting really bad distortion. anyway to stop this? if it's the wrong way, it's plugged into the mic slot on my pc, is that right?

edit: i fixed the distortion problem, but when i play low notes it seems really compressed. i just recorded the intro to Under The Bridge as an example:

http://rapidshare.com/files/233880667/test.mp3.html

any way i can fix that? settings i have are:

input gain is is between half and 3 quarters of the way up, output gain is just past a quarter of the way up, and my recording volume is minus 36db (not the problem i turned it up a little bit and its still like that, but when i turn it up more thats when i get static)

edit 2: it actually just starts sounding compressed after a certain amount of time, and it does it with distortion too:
http://rapidshare.com/files/23388805...d_047.wav.html

edit 3: it may just be that the microphone line in on my laptop is really bad, it was doing that even when i plugged in my cheap mic directly in, so i may have to record with my other computer. which i was trying to avoid but whatever. i cant test now because its really late.

Ryder1234
12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Mmk, I have to bump this again. I'm wondering, has anyone ever had problems recording with Vista? I just got a new computer, and if I try to record, 2 problems have been happening:

Problem1: If I run my guitar or bass directly into the computer, it creates really bad static (similar but not as bad as the original problem of this thread), and the guitar/bass signal can't overcome it.

Problem2: If I run my mic through my preamp, and into the mic/line in jack, it creates static, but more like a high pitched ringing (not feedback however, it's different), and the signal from the instrument is really quiet, and extremely distorted, so bad you can't tell what the note is.

I'm hoping someone can help with this, both techniques worked perfectly on my old computer which was running XP. If I can't resolve this, I basically can't record anymore, so I'm not exactly happy right now.

randman21
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Man, yep. That's a problem. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I don't think the problem is with Vista. I record with it and I don't get that problem. But I can't think of a single thing that could cause that problem. Worst case scenario, you'd have to get something like a USB audio interface. Could you make a sample of what each set up sounds like?

Ryder1234
12-30-2009, 06:12 PM
miked:
http://rapidshare.com/files/328186884/miked.wav.html

direct:
http://rapidshare.com/files/328187161/direct.wav.html

i actually messed up the explanations, when i do direct it's really loud instead of quiet.

maybe it's a problem with the preamp or connections? maybe i should use the 1/2 inch output jack instead of the XLR one or something

m.offspring.r
01-01-2010, 02:57 AM
In my opinion, USB audio interfaces sucks! I prefer use PCI/Firewire Audio interfaces...

I bought (a few months ago) a simple PCI Interface, and I can record drums/guitars/bass without latency.

randman21
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
In my opinion, USB audio interfaces sucks! I prefer use PCI/Firewire Audio interfaces...

I bought (a few months ago) a simple PCI Interface, and I can record drums/guitars/bass without latency.

Haha, compared to PCI/Firewire, the USB ones do suck. But compared to just plugging a cable into a computer, it's some kind of a step up. :D

I don't know a whole lot about Firewire, but you have to have that already on the computer, right? Anyway, I'm interested in the PCI interface you have. No latency sounds good right about now!

Ryder1234
01-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Does this look like it'd be good? USB but whatever, as long as I can record.
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/575/

or this, it's firewire:
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6314/

Ryder1234
01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
So now I'm pretty confident that it was my program that hated me. I ended up trying Audacity and it's working fine, but I fucking hate it. Any other programs I could use that you guys know of? The problem may have been that the program was 32bit, so needs to be 64bit compatible.

m.offspring.r
01-03-2010, 03:07 AM
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

for windows 32/64 bits
MacOSx

:D
I used this program. Very simple. Now I use old version of Sonar

mspunk13
01-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Agreed. Reaper is (IMO) the best free audio software. Well it is kinda free because they will tell you to buy it after a month, but, just like with WinRar, you can evaluate it forever. lmao!

Reaper does have a 64-bit engine and a great MIDI sequencer (the best for creating drum tracks imo). And it has tons of other really cool features. Actually, envelopes, exporting and navigation are the only things I don't like about Reaper.

Rooster
01-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Adobe Audition 3, should be 64 bit compatible. It's THE best. It's not free, but that's not much of a problem either :p. It's totally worth of checking out, it has tons of very useful functions.

m.offspring.r
01-03-2010, 05:34 AM
For me, the best music software is on Mac: Logic Pro 9

dff_punk
01-03-2010, 05:36 AM
Adobe Audition 3, should be 64 bit compatible. It's THE best. It's not free, but that's not much of a problem either :p. It's totally worth of checking out, it has tons of very useful functions.

Yup, I recommend this program too. I record all my music with it.

Ryder1234
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I love the look of reaper, seems very simple and much better than my old program.

mspunk13
01-04-2010, 01:32 AM
For me, the best music software is on Mac: Logic Pro 9

Logic is great, but it's pretty expensive, so I just use GarageBand instead :p

Ryder1234
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Reaper succeeds! Go check out my band (Random Goods) thread, last post there's an instrumental version if my KHWHD cover for Ignition, all made in reaper.

P.S. check out my band www.myspace.com/dtoxrockers :p