PDA

View Full Version : Bands/Albums Discovered on the BBS.

Jakebert
08-02-2008, 05:21 PM
What bands and or albums did you get into specifically due to the BBS?

Morphine- Thanks to LM1565.
Neko Case- I wanna say Coke-a-holic, but I'm not sure.
Woodie Guthrie- don't remember, but was very surprised.
Minutes the Bear- Rag Doll, plus like half of the people here.
Saxon Shore- I think Endy, but I could be mistaken.
The Weakerthans- Don't remember, but it was someone in the file sharing thread.

Andy
08-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Just the one for me: Bullets and Octane. Sneedo recommended them to me a few years back.

Endymion
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
that one's not from me, jake.

as for me, nieh and break have introduced me to a few bands but i can't name any particular ones.

WebDudette
08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
At The Drive-In
Black Eyes
The Blood Brothers
The Blow
Cat Power
The Chinese Stars
Das Oath
Daughters
Ex-Models
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
The Locust
The Mae Shi
mewithoutYou
Neon Blonde
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Nick Drake
Neutral Milk Hotel
Postal Service
Rise Against
Some Girls
Streetlight Manifesto
Tom Waits
xbxrx

Some bands I got into directly from the forum. Some I got into indirectly because of other bands from the forum. Some are a combination of people from the forum talking about them and other people talking about them.

There are probably more than this.

Thomas
08-02-2008, 05:49 PM
I've definitely gotten into Bomb the Music Industry! quite a bit.

0r4ng3
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Like half of my music comes from recommendations from people on the forums. The most prevalent in my mind right now would be A Wilhelm Scream.

Autonomist
08-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Streetlight Manifesto - a whole lot of people.
Talib Kweli - Ricky.
Lupe Fiasco - Ricky.
Choking Victim/Leftover Crack - Don't remember, but someone who I don't think posts anymore.
Fugazi - Don't remember, but someone who I don't think posts anymore.

Woodie Guthrie- don't remember, but was very surprised.

Right here buddy.

I also remember a whole lot of people loving one of my uploads, either Army of the Pharaohs or Reflection Eternal. Possibly even both.

Apathy
08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Choking Victim/Leftover Crack - Don't remember, but someone who I don't think posts anymore.

I'll take credit where credit may or may not be due.

I'm not sure if I discovered any of the bands I still listen to through the bbs. None that I can think of anyway.

Jebus
08-02-2008, 09:48 PM
People seriously need to stop confusing me for Endy. Second time this week.

I got into Streetlight, Naked City, and Ted Leo because of this board through various people. I already knew about Devin Townsend, but Nieh introduced me to one his side projects, Punky Brüster. Also, there's a bunch of random songs from different bands I tend to listen to a lot that I found in this board. I can't say that I've gotten into those bands though, just that one song or two.

Jakebert
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
After Endy said it wasn't him, I figured it was you.

Autonomist, that sounds very angry.

nieh
08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
The Weakerthans- Don't remember, but it was someone in the file sharing thread.

Probably either Betty or coke_a_holic.
Like PilZ-E, there's a lot of bands I was aware of but never listened to (or had heard a few songs by but started paying more attention to or gave a second chance to) until after hearing about them from people here. Between Break and Endy I've gotten into the Blood Brothers, Man Man, Need New Body, the Mae Shi, Fugazi, Dr. Doctor, Butthole Surfers. Betty/Michelle got me into Ted Leo and Sleater-Kinney. coke_a_holic got me into Gogol Bordello and made me give Animal Collective another chance. Between Jake and 1565 on this board and EVERYONE on the other board I post at I had to give Nick Cave and Tom Waits a couple tries. I'm sure there's others.

People seriously need to stop confusing me for Endy. Second time this week.
What do you expect? You guys used to have the same avatar for like a year.

Autonomist
08-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Autonomist, that sounds very angry.

Hmm. Maybe I was subconsciously bitter that I was denied recognition?

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Yes! I've gotten people into Morphine, Nick Cave, and Tom Waits! Today the board, tomorrow the world.

Now people need to listen to more PJ Harvey, Oingo Boingo, and the National, and I will be one step further in making the world safe for alto/baritone singers.

Betty
08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
I've gotten into a ton of bands through the BBS directly or people from the BBS. Some I absolutely love, some I've listened to a bit but wouldn't put in the love category. To name a few (aka to give some shout outs):

Josh: Guster, Presidents

Jake: Spoon, Wire

Sarah: Nick Cave, John Vanderslice, The Knife (I LOVE them), Oingo Boingo, Andrew Bird, Siouxsie and the Banshees

Per: Belle and Sebastian (I'm sure I would've gotten into them somehow, but hadn't for some reason... they're fantastic as well)

Ryan: Dr. Doctor, Man Man, few good random songs

Brianna: The Blend

Thi: John Butler Trio (LOVE it)

Tizz: Mando Diao, Dresden Dolls, The Kooks

Rick: I generally love a lot of the songs from the Dope Beatz mixes... haven't gotten into too many full albums by most of the bands... but I've put a bunch of songs on mix CDs. To name a few... The Faint, Depeche Mode, Ratatat

Mike, I think: Okkervil River

And LOTS of good songs by various artists have been introduced into my playlists/mixed CDs from people on this board.

Stop. Take some time to think.

Jebus
08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
What do you expect? You guys used to have the same avatar for like a year.
Well, excuuuuse me if you retards can't tell the difference between Jojan's right and left boob.

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Re: Betty's list -- I am the winrar! I think I love music too much, because all of those bands you listed are bands that I would do aaanything for. The other day I listened to "Fake Palindromes" by Andrew Bird over and over on the bus home, and it's not like I haven't been listening to that song for years or anything. Nope. You might also like Patrick Wolf.

I think I got Tizz into the Dresden Dolls, so is that another one for my win column? ;)

Also, I got into Against Me! entirely because of this forum. Remember when it just started with one person coming on here drunk posting "stop. take some time to think. figure out what's important to you." and everyone else was just like "WTF?"

Betty
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Yeah, some bands get split credit. The reason I chose Tizz for that one is cause the song that hooked me was "Half Jack" when she posted it. I got hooked on Andrew Bird cause of Fake Palindromes, definitely. He's good, I wouldn't say my favourite, but I LOVE that song. And I think John Vanderslice is going to be in Seattle too, so that should be sweet. It's gonna be such an awesome music festival. I guess you do seem to be the winner! I even have a few BK songs on my computer that I really like. I think the thing about your taste though is that all of your absolute favourite bands are not my absolute favourite bands at all, but I mostly like 'em. I have more overlap in taste with, say, Per and Tizz. And I feel like I've listened to a lot of music from a few people from the board who were underrepresented on my list... oh well.

Little_Miss_1565
08-02-2008, 11:16 PM
Good times.

I hope the BK album gets finished at some point. Sigh.

WebDudette
08-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Basically most of the stuff I listen to now stems from Endymion's recommendations.

I'm sure about this too, I know it wasn't Jebus.

I think I actually started listening to Tom Waits because of coke_a_holic.
mewithoutYou because of Ninth.
Lupe Fiasco, The Faint, and The Blow from Ricky.
I may have gotten Nick Drake from Sarah but I think it was a combination of her and another forum.
The Mae Shi because of BREAK/Endymion.
Nick Cave because of BREAK.
Streetlight because of coke and orange.

The list goes on and on because most of what I listen to I got from here or heard about here.

jacknife737
08-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Little_Miss brought my attention to the existence of Oingo Boingo, and for that, I am eternally greatful.

Edit: and although I was already familiar with Bomb the Music Industry! it was Coke that was the final push for me to check them out.

holland25
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Streetlight Manifesto - a bunch of people
Bomb the Music Industry! - thanks, coke a holic
Against Me! - a bunch of people

...and many more...

Tired_Of_You
08-03-2008, 01:39 PM
- Air : I already knew them, but listened to them more often after Jakebert (really not sure about that one) uploaded one of their albums in the bbs.
- Corvus Corax : Sin Studly
- Neko Case : Alec
- Björk : Again, I already knew her music, but started to like her music much more after I've decided to download some of it. Was it Bella? I'm not sure. It might be more than one person.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Man Man- nieh and Endy
The Dismemberment Plan- nieh
The Blood Brothers- Break got me into them a long time ago.
Minus the Bear- I really don't remember how my interest in them originated but I want to say from this BBS a while back. Might have been nieh.

I expected to have a lot more on that list, but I guess I've been discovering most music on my own lately.

As for me, I think I've gotten a couple people into Lucky Boys Confusion and maybe Sponge a long time ago.

Endymion
08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
i've gotten into most bands on my own, but i definitely need to thank nieh for introducing me to the stick men. they're one of my all-time favorite bands. i think i finally listened to battles thanks to break. and i think nieh again got me more into mike patton. oh, and stump too.

IamSam
08-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Zebrahead-Tijs
Against Me!-coke_a_holic/jacknife737

Betty
08-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Sponge

I put Plowed on a mix CD?

Also, they played that song during my outdoor volleyball league a couple of weeks ago. I was pretty impressed.

Was it you who posted the Yeasayer? A few songs from that album are absolutely incredible. If it wasn't you, then I guess a shout out goes to whoever posted that one.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Plowed fills me with more energy than perhaps any other song ever written.

Was it you who posted the Yeasayer? A few songs from that album are absolutely incredible. If it wasn't you, then I guess a shout out goes to whoever posted that one.
Yes! <3333 Yeasayer. I've become a huge fan of theirs. Yeah, the first three tracks on that album are amazing and really I like the other stuff too; in my case it just needed some growing time. You should Youtube them, they have some great live videos and a capella and piano versions of songs. And a pretty sweet animated music video for "Wait for the Summer." It's a rerecorded version... in some ways it's better and in other ways it's worse.

Vera
08-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I haven't gotten anybody into anything, ever, most probably, but half of my early punkrock fancies I got into through this board. A girl who no longer frequents recommended me Black Sails by AFI, which I bought and loved (this was when I *only* listened to the Offspring).

1565 got me to buy The Descendents/ALL and I think she also intro'ed me to Dead Kennedys. Some sort of general Offspring connection got me into the Vandals and stuff.

I'm pretty sure I got into The Cure and The Clash through this place, as well, but it could've also just been natural punkrock progression that happened.

WebDudette
08-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Also, tons of my friends are into a lot of the bands I got from here.

Betty
08-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Yes! <3333 Yeasayer. I've become a huge fan of theirs. Yeah, the first three tracks on that album are amazing and really I like the other stuff too; in my case it just needed some growing time.

I think I'd like the whole album at least to an extent... I've only listened to it once or twice in the background... the problem is that the first three tracks are so good, I have a hard time not just listening to them over and over.

XYlophonetreeZ
08-04-2008, 04:10 AM
I just remember when I heard it the first time, I was so unbelievably thrilled after the first three tracks that I was already preparing to deem it one of the best albums I've ever heard. So part of the reason why I ended up liking the rest may be because I wanted to so badly. I think some of the songs like "Red Cave" had a lot of potential but were sloppily recorded. Judging by the superior production of the new version of "Wait for the Summer" and this other new song called "Final Path," I'm expecting their next album to be even better. But then again I kinda doubt they can write anything as good as 2080 or Sunrise again, but you never know.

ad8
08-04-2008, 04:37 AM
Bomb The Music Industry! - thanks coke_a_holic and holland_25!

H1T_That
08-04-2008, 10:38 AM
All i can really think of is Streetlight Manifesto..

Rag Doll
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Minus the Bear - nieh
Tempo No Tempo - Endy
The Faint - Combo 1565 & Ricky, I think. I used to listen to them a bit in high school and then forgot about them. They reintroduced.
Belle & Sebastian - Per mentioning them often made me check them out.

Not a band/album, but a song...*Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating in Space* by Spiritualized because of nieh. Such an awesome song.

I'm sure there are more.

opivy21
08-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I've never posted much on these boards, but I have certainly been introduced into a large amount of music that I currently listen to thanks to it. Endy, Nieh, and Break have probably been the folks that I have gained the most from. Man Man, The Mae Shi, Mika Miko, etc. I remember in the "Weird Music" thread, Break had one post alone that got me into four or five bands after reading.

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I haven't read this thread but my main musical "pick ups" have been by and large from Betty, sometimes from Nieh and to a lesser extent Cokeaholic. But i've gotten a bit from everybody at some point.

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I've forgotten to mention JohnnyNemesis actually, recieved a lot I liked from him. What's an extra bonus about him is he always asks for critiques. I don't know why I like that but I do. He never replies but it always seems like a sincere bit of customer service. I <3 my fellow forum moderator. He's my go-to guy on hiphop mos definitely. lol.

EDIT: also I think I should personally credit Sam for getting me into the pumpkins. The reason is I think I used to tease her a lot for liking them. That was 7 years ago but I still teased her. :p I think I could get into a lot of what 1565 would recommend I have just been hesitant when she said that Gang of Four was much better than Franz Ferdinand (when they are in fact not even related. :p) I think my main depression with Gang of Four was the name, I was a communist at the time. It just wasn't dancy enough.

Tizz is also an influence for me as well. I've liked a lot of what she said.

I've also had a lot of bands that i just downloaded from those mix tapes. I know I liked Llamas and Ninas and Tired of yous, I think I've also liked PilzE's music. But it's hard to remember.

nieh
08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Bump. I forgot I got into Viva Death thanks to HAU. I'm actually listening to them right now.

One to the right
08-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Minus The Bear- XYlophone

Sufjan Stevens

Thats all I got for now :)

coke_a_holic
08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Like half of my music, seriously:

At The Drive-In
Battles
Black Eyes
Blood Brothers
Brand New
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone
Cursive
The Faint
Faith No More
The Fall Of Troy
Fugazi
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
Jay-Z
Jets To Brazil
John Zorn
Lily Allen
Lupe Fiaso
M.I.A.
The Mai Shi
Man Man
McLusky
mewithoutYou
The Mountain Goats

okay, that's to M. Seriously, you guys rock at hooking me up. A bunch of those bands have become some of my all-time favorites, and you know who you are if you whore them out like I do with my favorites.

I'm surprised at how many people listen to BTMI! because of me. I mean, I know I constantly whore them out, but I figure most people hate them.

SUPEREDIT:

Neutral Milk Hotel

I had to post this somewhere, I figured it would be here:

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2198/mmmbe7.jpg

I love this.