PDA

View Full Version : Swing Vote

lost_nvrfound
08-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Great movie. Its really funny. So funny, in fact, that its predictability didn't bother me.

Apathy
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I disagree.

lost_nvrfound
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Ahh grand! A differing opinion! Why do you dislike the movie?

EDIT: Not intended to be sarcasm.

Apathy
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
First, I must say I did not see the entire movie. I saw most of the beginning, and most of the ending.

1. I just do not like these kinds of movies. The premise of the movie is irrational. It's not fair to say that it's impossible (Which it theoretically isn't, but basically is) because does Batman exist in our world? No. Half of all movies released every year are based on some supernatural event or inconceivable action. But this isn't that kind of movie. It's a JeffFoxworthy-esque comedy that attempts forms of political satire, and tries to inspire some sense of pride in America based on a completely ludicrous plot device.

Which basically means that it should stick to jokes about beer and fishing, and rake in 10 Million like every other movie that could just have easily starred Larry the Cable Guy.

2. There's only so much "loveable redneck loser" I can take, and the quota has been filled by my horrible horrible family.

3. Kevin Costner? Seriously? Was Matthew McConaughey busy or something?

4. I like my political humor to be scathing and based on real-life events. (A la, the Yes Men)

To Reiterate. I disagree.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't know. I'm just so sick of real politics. I'm mean GEEZE! Who gives a fuck if Barack Obama's middle name is Hussein? OMG Bush is an idiot! Blah blah blah blah!

I thought this movie was a nice break from that kind of crap. Though I would have preferred Billy Bob Thorton over Kevin Costner.

RickyCrack
08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
kevin costner > billy bob
if you disagree you have horrible taste.

Jakebert
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of that movie around the last election that had Robin Williams as the comedian who gets elected president: just an easy, bland, inoffensive attempt at light political satire to make both sides happy, and therefore, sucks.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
A lot of it was about how the political parties will say anything if they think it'll give them the upper hand in an election.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
kevin costner > billy bob
if you disagree you have horrible taste.

I dislike Kevin Costner. If you feel he is greater, then you probably haven't seen Sling Blade

0r4ng3
08-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I haven't seen it, but it reminds me of that movie around the last election that had Robin Williams as the comedian who gets elected president: just an easy, bland, inoffensive attempt at light political satire to make both sides happy, and therefore, sucks.
Man of the Year? Yeah, maybe the first half was political satire, but it COMPLETELY switches gears halfway through, and becomes some kind of political thriller. It was so strange. Still sucked though.

Off topic, I know, but I just felt like I needed to bring that up.

jacknife737
08-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Man of the Year? Yeah, maybe the first half was political satire, but it COMPLETELY switches gears halfway through, and becomes some kind of political thriller. It was so strange. Still sucked though.

Yeah, i didn't really expect that twist when i watched it. The whole thing was pretty "meh" though.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Off topic, I know, but I just felt like I needed to bring that up.

I never saw that one. didn't really have an interest. didn't much have an interest in this movie either, but someone else was paying