PDA

View Full Version : This may seem like a silly question (but it's not)

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Ok, so I saw a video from last year about a 13 year old at his Bar Mitzvah on YouTube. This may sound like a really dumbass question, but anyone have any idea how you can arrange to have something like this done? Like for private parties or gatherings? Obviously it's not impossible as seen on the video. Would one have to get in contact with their manager or agent or something? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XNPvgQ6RyE

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 09:56 PM
On the main page about the band under FAQ it gives info on how to contact their booking agent. Seriously, if you book them, I'm flying north.

EDIT: You could also try inviting them to something like that kid did, via their fan mail address.

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
On the main page about the band under FAQ it gives info on how to contact their booking agent. Seriously, if you book them, I'm flying north.

EDIT: You could also try inviting them to something like that kid did, via their fan mail address.

Interesting, I must have missed that. How about inviting them to my 3 year olds birthday party in Oct.? Think they'd come to that? LOL Thanks.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Man... that'd be AWESOME!! I think they'll be in Japan at that point unfortunately.

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Man... that'd be AWESOME!! I think they'll be in Japan at that point unfortunately.

Well maybe my babies birthday... hers is in Dec and she'll be 2. They might be this way at that point in time... hopefully. But yeah, in all seriousness I think I'm going to look into it. Wonder how much it'll cost. :eek:

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't even wanna know. But, seriously, if you do, send me a pm so i can book a flight.

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
That's a thought. Book a party for everyone (that wants to come) on the boards here and everyone can pitch in to help pay the cost? Is that possible?

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
not necessarily unrealistic... but it'd be hard to regulate who would show up.

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 10:26 PM
not necessarily unrealistic... but it'd be hard to regulate who would show up.

That's true. I'm going to look into it tomorrow. I'm going to fax them and see what kind of reply I get back. Hopefully they won't laugh their asses off at me. You mean to tell me that no one has thought of doing something like this on here before??

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:29 PM
That's true. I'm going to look into it tomorrow. I'm going to fax them and see what kind of reply I get back. Hopefully they won't laugh their asses off at me. You mean to tell me that no one has thought of doing something like this on here before??

Probably, but I haven't seen it. People on the forums do meetups and such, but this is one that I don't think anyone has seriously considered. Its one hell of an undertaking.

KHWHD
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Probably, but I haven't seen it. People on the forums do meetups and such, but this is one that I don't think anyone has seriously considered. Its one hell of an undertaking.

I'd say. But it's well worth it. We have enough people on here that would be more than willing (I think) to help get this started if we really want to do this. Which I think we do.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Just send me a private message if/when you get a response

adombomb222
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Where would the event be held though? To make it all fair? There is a lot of Europeans on here, I doubt flight costs are going to be the same for them as people who live in the US or north America, you also got to think about room and board.

lost_nvrfound
08-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Where would the event be held though? To make it all fair? There is a lot of Europeans on here, I doubt flight costs are going to be the same for them as people who live in the US or north America, you also got to think about room and board.

Hahaha! Set up a tent city surrounding the area methinks. Could you imagine bunches of people from these forums all camping out in a big field? Then just to see what would happen, the band shows up amidst the crowd of people who waste way too much time on their website.

Free?
08-04-2008, 03:23 AM
What a thread! It would be a hell of a party!

dr.vanessa
08-04-2008, 03:42 AM
hey I'd die for this!!!pm me too plz plz plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! !:D

ad8
08-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Hahaha! Set up a tent city surrounding the area methinks. Could you imagine bunches of people from these forums all camping out in a big field? Then just to see what would happen, the band shows up amidst the crowd of people who waste way too much time on their website.

Oh yeah, that would be rad:D

And btw, I could invite them to my 18th birthday...:D I'll be 18 soon :)

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Back during the offspring mailing list in pre-historic times, there was such an initiative. The band was ready to play an exclusive gig and come and hang out, with just the hard core Internet fans. They said they could make it work in Cologne Germany.

Of course there were like 3 of us, that would've gone like 1 Danish dude 1 German dude and myself.

But who knows.. maybe they'll do something like that again.

zsk
08-04-2008, 06:43 AM
dexter at a movie!:Dhttp://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dYMwePOAB30&feature=related

hes a good actor,isn't he;)

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Back during the offspring mailing list in pre-historic times, there was such an initiative. The band was ready to play an exclusive gig and come and hang out, with just the hard core Internet fans. They said they could make it work in Cologne Germany.

Of course there were like 3 of us, that would've gone like 1 Danish dude 1 German dude and myself.

But who knows.. maybe they'll do something like that again.

It's a thought. If we can get enough people from here, we'll go from there and possibly start setting something up. So is anyone interested? The city I live in has a population of about 175,000 people. A lot of decent/inexpensive hotels and such.

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 07:04 AM
It's a thought. If we can get enough people from here, we'll go from there and possibly start setting something up. So is anyone interested? The city I live in has a population of about 175,000 people. A lot of decent/inexpensive hotels and such.

The city I live in has cheap hookers...

It's about what fits the bands schedule and route and that's never gonna be in sync with the Internet fans wants and whishes. I Could see this taking place in either New York or London, but it won't. Because it just won't attract 200-300 fans anyway. There aren't that many hardcore fans on the board to begin with.
And since it doesn't they're just better off playing club shows anywhere. The truly die hards make it out there anyway...

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Well apparently the fax number doesn't work cause it says it's been disconnected. Figures. :(

How can I contact the band's live booking representatives?
BOOKING (NORTH AMERICA):
Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue Of The Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067
USA
Wk: 310–288-4545
Fx: 310–288-4795

dff_punk
08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
It is dead probably because not so many people use faxes nowadays...

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 08:58 AM
It is dead probably because not so many people use faxes nowadays...

Maybe in your country, but they're used all the time here by companies and such.

dff_punk
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Oops, my bad. Need more education.

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Oops, my bad. Need more education.

No problem. :) I'll give them a call later. Hopefully that number works. If not, someone needs to either get rid of the numbers listed on the site here or change them to the right ones.

Rag Doll
08-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Creative Artists Agency
2000 Avenue of the Stars
Los Angeles, CA 90067
t: 424.288.2000 f: 424.288.2900

Good luck!

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I don't think contacting booking agents with requests like these lead anywhere... I'd advise against it.

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't think contacting booking agents with requests like these lead anywhere... I'd advise against it.

Do you have a better idea?

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Do you have a better idea?

Yeah, um.. how about we don't bother the booking agency? :D

lost_nvrfound
08-04-2008, 09:47 AM
How else are you supposed to hire a band to do a party?

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 09:57 AM
How else are you supposed to hire a band to do a party?

Offspring isn't a birthday party clown act, plus I don't think people have that kind of cash lying around for a party =)

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Bands generally do have some kind of rate for college shows and private events, but unless you've got all the details figured out right now for what you'd want to pitch the booking agent, I'd agree with Oxy and advise against bothering them.

lost_nvrfound
08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I can't see the harm in just contacting them to get an estimate for the rate, just to get an idea of the plausibility of it all.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2008, 10:21 AM
You should still be able to give them some details on what you'd be wanting them to do. I've worked with booking agents -- I used to work at a record label and now I'm helping to book a venue -- and they're very busy people that get a lot of requests, and getting random enquiries from the general public might not be very helpful.

Camilamazed
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm in.

=)

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 11:01 AM
You should still be able to give them some details on what you'd be wanting them to do. I've worked with booking agents -- I used to work at a record label and now I'm helping to book a venue -- and they're very busy people that get a lot of requests, and getting random enquiries from the general public might not be very helpful.

Plust it's not like they tell you what the offspring usually get for a show, as a promoter you have to make some sort of reasonable offer, and perhaps even a serious downpayment if it's the first time they work with you so it's not like

-how mcuh will it cost for me to book the offsprin gfor my grandsons circumcision?

-we have a great summer price on the offspring this season $99.95 per hour

ya know?

drummerbecca
08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Count me in. Although I seriously doubt that it'd be held anywhere close to where I live :(, if it happens at all.

leo3375
08-04-2008, 11:05 AM
A lot of bands will do private and corporate events but they don't like to admit to it. The reason is because these events often pay enormous amounts of money and the bands are afraid that their fanbase will call them "sellouts" for playing at them.

As for that kid's bar mitzvah, Dexter and Noodles showed up as guests, not the evening's entertainment. The kid wrote to them and invited them, so they decided to surprise him and his friends.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Plust it's not like they tell you what the offspring usually get for a show, as a promoter you have to make some sort of reasonable offer, and perhaps even a serious downpayment if it's the first time they work with you so it's not like

-how mcuh will it cost for me to book the offsprin gfor my grandsons circumcision?

-we have a great summer price on the offspring this season $99.95 per hour

ya know?

It's true. There is, though, for the bigger bands generally a walk-away rate below which the band won't do.

As it's been mentioned already, though, Dexter and Noodles weren't paid to show up to that kid's bar mitzvah. He wrote the fan mail address and asked them to come, and then they did. I thought that was so cool.

Blitzkrieg Bop
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Book a party for everyone (that wants to come) on the boards here and everyone can pitch in to help pay the cost? Is that possible?

That is a great idea in theory, but realistically most of us can't afford to get there, not to mention food, lodging and contributing to the cost of the band :)

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
That's a thought. Book a party for everyone (that wants to come) on the boards here and everyone can pitch in to help pay the cost? Is that possible?

Yeah everyone send me the money :)

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
It's true. There is, though, for the bigger bands generally a walk-away rate below which the band won't do.

As it's been mentioned already, though, Dexter and Noodles weren't paid to show up to that kid's bar mitzvah. He wrote the fan mail address and asked them to come, and then they did. I thought that was so cool.

actually I think they contacted their tour manager it was a "someone of someone of someone who knew the tour managers neighbor, who knew the tour managers address" kinda thing.. I don't remember. I saw that video ages ago.

I think all bands big and small have a walk away rate :) Ours was $20 :)

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I think all bands big and small have a walk away rate :) Ours was $20 :)

Hahaha, we just wanted gas money. And drinks, of course. ;)

Out on Patrol
08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Hahaha the man asking for Pamela Anderson :D

Just awesome

nameless
08-04-2008, 05:54 PM
its a good idea but realistically i doubt it will happen. it was listed in a uk newspaper what it costs to get celebrities to perform at private events and the cost ranged from 50,000 to 500,000 depending obvioulsy who it was. it included the likes of amy winehouse and take that. it was also listed that reporters had to pretend they were the assistants of well off families who wanted to book a party etc. so they may just not give the details out to anyone.

id be interested to hear what the offspring say but id really be fine seeing them at a regular show!

KHWHD
08-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Alright, forget I asked.

Oxygene
08-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Hahaha, we just wanted gas money. And drinks, of course. ;)

the few times we got gas money and drinks we shat our pants :)