PDA

View Full Version : Hookah

WebDudette
08-04-2008, 01:25 AM
So over the last week I've probably smoked hookah three times and it is actually really great.

I have some questions though, I get pretty light headed. Is this going to continue to happen? 'Cause I enjoy the feeling. Also, if it is related I don't smoke cigarettes or 'mota' (haha, atom backwards). I'll probably be having some friends over to do it again at my house, is it unwise to smoke two days in a row?

Is there any major health problems with it?

Lastly, does anyone else really enjoy it? I believe I recall Per mentioning it a couple times.

I could probably look all this up, but I wanted to talk about it here anyway.

Sunny
08-04-2008, 03:04 AM
i love love love hookahs. <3 double apple or orange ftw!

you will continue getting lightheaded. to my knowledge, that's a part of the desired effect. ;p

as for health problems, well, it *is* smoke, so in that respect, it's not exactly good for you. however, i'm assuming you would smoke it every once in a while and not like... daily. of course it's ok if you smoke it two days in a row, as long as you don't make a habit of it.

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Hookahs feckin' rule!

It isn't really healthy tough. 1xHookah = approx. 20 cigarettes. And as Sunny said, you will continue getting lightheaded. But it's different. Some people can smoke 5h in a row, and they don't feel anything. Others are a little dizzy after 5 drags (me). In that case, I usually run around. After that I can smoke as long as I want.

What about discussing hookahs in general? What tobaccos do you like? Have you got your own hookahs?

Tobaccos: vanilla, double apple, peach, marguerita, tropicana... (I usually smoke Nakhla. but I really love premium tobaccos like Layalina, strawberry is great.)

I've also got 2 hookahs, one 40cm tall, one 25cm^^

Sunny
08-04-2008, 03:45 AM
i agree that Layalina rules.
http://www.hookahcompany.com/double_apple_layalina_shisha_722_prd1.htm
^ so yummy.

i also really like orange, rose, peach, apricot, tutti frutti... yum.

i have my own pipe... 55 cm tall, green glass. she's a beauty. :o

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 03:50 AM
i also really like orange, rose, peach, apricot, tutti frutti... yum.

I've always wondered how rose tobacco tastes.

EDIT: here's my 1st hookah: http://www.fruchtrauch.de/images/Aladin_Shisha_Horus_m.jpgImagine it being slightly blue.

...and here's the second:http://www.fruchtrauch.de/images/safa_shisha01_r_m.jpg Just imagine a little crystal-like thing in the middle.

Sunny
08-04-2008, 03:54 AM
it's delicious, try it sometime. have you ever had rose petal jelly? it's very similar flavor-wise.

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 04:11 AM
it's delicious, try it sometime. have you ever had rose petal jelly? it's very similar flavor-wise.

I'll do so.

Have you ever mixed tobaccos? I once mixed vanilla and peach. It was pretty good actually^^

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 04:19 AM
I've pretty much smoked the hookah every day for 2 years now. I love it.

I no longer get the light headed dizzy feeling, that really is just a lack of oxygen or a nicotine rush though (or both.)

I wouldn't recommend putting mota in though, it makes the waterpipe taste worse and you get about half as stoned. Total waste.

If you're planning on buying one I've heard it said that about 80 cm (beats me foot wise) is the desired length, if it's bigger than 80 cm it's only for sure. 80 cm is I guess the best length for having the smoke cool down.

My favorite flavor is cherry, by far. Otherwise double apple is the easiest to get and best quality. Love mint too but people only seem to like it when it's mixed with something.

Sunny
08-04-2008, 04:21 AM
Splinter - i need a smaller portable pipe similar to your 2nd one... the one i have right now is kind of unwieldy.

i've never tried mixing my own flavors... it's a good idea though!

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 04:23 AM
My favorite flavor is cherry, by far. Otherwise double apple is the easiest to get and best quality. Love mint too but people only seem to like it when it's mixed with something.

yeah, cherry is great, but mint... I once had chocomint, and it felt really cold in the throat.

Sunny
08-04-2008, 04:28 AM
I wouldn't recommend putting mota in though, it makes the waterpipe taste worse and you get about half as stoned. Total waste.

seriously? i've only done it a couple of times (mixed with shisha) and got blasted beyond recognition. uncomfortably so, may i add.

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 04:34 AM
;1166158']yeah, cherry is great, but mint... I once had chocomint, and it felt really cold in the throat.
That's the fun of the mint tobacco. :)

seriously? i've only done it a couple of times (mixed with shisha) and got blasted beyond recognition. uncomfortably so, may i add.
Yeah so did Tizz but I didn't feel like it was a whole lot. It might also depend on different things, like in Europe hash is more accessible and might not be the best mix with sheesha, etc.

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Splinter - i need a smaller portable pipe similar to your 2nd one... the one i have right now is kind of unwieldy.

i've never tried mixing my own flavors... it's a good idea though!

It can turn out horrible. I'm sure there are lists of good mixes. But I heard (and wheelchairman posted it) that mint is good to mix.

and how tall is your pipe? Like... 80cm?

I usually carry my hookah in a backpack, so the size doesn't really matter, but I think you search an elegant way to carry your pipe. so no backpacks for you^^ One of my classmates has got the same pipe as I do, and he's got a small box too carry it. very practical.

here's a picture: http://www.shisha-laden.de/variants/showImageThumbnail/296.png

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 04:46 AM
I thought I would show off my beautiful hookah. I'm surprised I haven't got a picture of it.

http://roolig.dk/images/brush_new_m.jpg

Anyways there are different kinds of containers, but as I recall Sunny had one of those nifty multi-hosed ones, no idea about that. :p

Sunny
08-04-2008, 04:53 AM
ok, i found a (realllly old) hookah pic. excuse the mess in the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/sunnypoo/hookah.jpg

Splinter[PI]
08-04-2008, 05:06 AM
ok, i found a (realllly old) hookah pic. excuse the mess in the back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/sunnypoo/hookah.jpg

Do you always smoke inside your house/apartment?

Sunny
08-04-2008, 05:17 AM
i used to. the only other option (in NYC) is smoking at a hookah bar, and those are rather expensive.

now i have a balcony with a little table. it's a nice set up for a smoke. :)

Rag Doll
08-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I don't do it, but the majority of my boyfriend's friends do. So, at Christmas time, a local Moroccan bazaar was moving to a new location and was having a HUGE sale on everything (and an even bigger sale for us, because my boyfriend and I worked nearby). Inexpensive hookahs for everyone for Christmas!!

IamSam
08-04-2008, 08:40 AM
My favorite is fruit punch, although I haven't smoked hookah in three years.

Nina
08-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I love the smell of it. It doesnt matter what flavor it is. Tizz & Per's apartment smells of hookah constantly and I was constantly a very very happy person.
I dont smoke it (or anything else), though.

Tizzalicious
08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
That's the fun of the mint tobacco. :)

Yeah so did Tizz but I didn't feel like it was a whole lot. It might also depend on different things, like in Europe hash is more accessible and might not be the best mix with sheesha, etc.

I think that time I got super sicks & dizzy was with the waterpipe too though!

My favorite is cherry as well. And I love mixing them, we did coke/lemon a few times, which was awesome. Coke/cherry too, actually.

Perface, we should find a place that sells it in Berlin and buy lots!

Tizzalicious
08-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I love the smell of it. It doesnt matter what flavor it is. Tizz & Per's apartment smells of hookah constantly and I was constantly a very very happy person.
I dont smoke it (or anything else), though.

Haha, I love how it smells GOOD, whereas sigarettes just smell gross.

Little_Miss_1565
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
You know, I've never smoked a hookah. Properly, that is, like shisha and all. I've only ever smoked pot out of one. One of those eight-hosed octopus things at a party -- it was much more practical than passing a single joint around. But now I want to.

WebDudette
08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
I don't think we plan on putting pot in it at all. I don't smoke and the guy who the pipe belongs too doesn't either.

Anyway, I've had double apple/mint which together are amazing and I've had strawberry which I don't remember being as good.

Right now we are using a hookah that belongs to a friend of mine, but I plan on getting my own. My best friends brother may be giving me one of his, or I have to wait about 4 months to buy my own.

Oh, and I'm not going to get an 80cm one, I'd like one that is maybe 2-3 feet tall with 2-4 hoses. Though 2 should be plenty efficient.

Endymion
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Oh, and I'm not going to get an 80cm one, I'd like one that is maybe 2-3 feet tall with 2-4 hoses. Though 2 should be plenty efficient.

protip: 80cm ~ 2.6 ft

WebDudette
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Hah, wow I'm a jackass.

I seen wheelchairman say:

80 cm (beats me foot wise)
and took it literally. I'm pretty sure I was thinking about inches.

wheelchairman
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Yeah I would've put it in inches or feet but I'm shit at both now that I've lived with both systems. It's like I can't tell distance at all. I was quite pleased in Jarhead when they said "just go with what you know." I finally realized that not everyone sees the whole world in perfect measurements of yards or meters.

Anyways it's almost 2.5 cm to an inch (something like 2.65436343465 or something.) So 2 is about right. Perfect. I've heard with two hoses it smokes faster but that's evened out by how much you smoke so why care?

WebDudette
08-05-2008, 02:22 AM
The one we have been using is two hoses. We have max 10 people sit in a circle 5 get one hose, 5 the other. Mostly while one person is hitting it the other holds the hole but it is possible for two people to hit at once. Or if you really want you can hit both hoses at once. A couple of us tried that, it was fun.

I'd also like to say that I had an amazing night. A whole bunch of really cool people showed up at my house. We also had some bread and hummus because we are amazing. A whole bunch of different kind of berries too.

Some people played pool or went swimming but mostly we smoked hookah and sang/listened to awesome music.

About four of us laid down and smoked at one point, it was pretty amazing.

Also, I think all sorts of inside jokes emerged from this night.

tl,dr best night evar.

ps. We turned most of the lights of and listened to GY!BE at one point.

Betty
08-05-2008, 02:45 AM
I've never done it (well, like Sarah I smoked pot from one once while much too drunk), so somebody needs to explain it to me, please. I may have expressed confusion before, and I still feel like I need more explaining. The concept of it does not sell me on the appeal, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Why is it so good? Is it like a cigarette (nicotine rush) but actually tastes good? Is that it? Does it satisfy some sort of oral fixation? Is it a habitual addiction that you may associate with relaxation/whatever? Is it purely a flavour thing? Like, wanting candy/dessert?

WebDudette
08-05-2008, 02:53 AM
It has a good flavor, it gets you a little lightheaded. I've always been in love with sitting in a circle with something to drink and something to talk about and now I've found a way to get other people to do it with me.

Its actually really relaxing, for me at least. It also smells pretty great.

Also, I really like watching the smoke.

Splinter[PI]
08-05-2008, 02:56 AM
I've never done it (well, like Sarah I smoked pot from one once while much too drunk), so somebody needs to explain it to me, please. I may have expressed confusion before, and I still feel like I need more explaining. The concept of it does not sell me on the appeal, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Why is it so good? Is it like a cigarette (nicotine rush) but actually tastes good? Is that it? Does it satisfy some sort of oral fixation? Is it a habitual addiction that you may associate with relaxation/whatever? Is it purely a flavour thing? Like, wanting candy/dessert?

I don't know if it's a nocotine rush, I've never smoked cigarettes. But yes it tastes good, very good!:)

I think a lot of peope associate it with relaxation. It's like... sitting in a circle, talk about whatever you want. That's fun.

Sunny
08-05-2008, 03:39 AM

first of all, it smells and tastes really good. on some level it does satisfy a craving for sweets, and goes really well with stuff like herbal tea. and it leaves your mouth tasting delicious.
the effect is different from cigarette smoke. i personally hate cigarettes - they make me jittery and taste like shit. hookah smoke is very relaxing. you feel mellowed out and a little dizzy, but not "high" at all.

ultimately, in terms of appeal, i'd compare it to an absinthe ritual, because it's just *different* from other party experiences. the smell is pretty exotic, you light it differently, you pass the hoses around, watch the smoke, eat, drink, smoke some more. i'd say it's more about the experience of it than it is about getting fucked up, which is nice.

Duskygrin
08-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Tried hookah once, really, really didn't like it. I'm not sure if I hated smoking that tube or if I hated the idea of smoking it... one more reason I'm not gonna start "spliffing"...

Izie
08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Hookah bars are awesome! Although thinking about it, I kinda think we could totally use one in our apartment because we're finally buying some new stuff for it, and I totally see where it would fit! Hmmmmm...

Needles to say, I do enjoy it. I don't have a favourite flavour though, I can go with anything.

WebDudette
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I don't think I should smoke an entire bowl by myself. On second thought, maybe I should do it more often. Can anyone reccomend me some really good shisha? Right now I have tropical, mint (which I use a little bit of in everything), cola (which I don't like much), apple (which is the fall back, always good), and cherry (its alright).

wheelchairman
01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Sweet fruits are almost always the best choices.

I like mint too, also good to mix. Cola is nice because it mixes well with cherry or lemon.

I'm a simple man though and on my own I usually just smoke apple.

Sunny
01-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I don't think I should smoke an entire bowl by myself. On second thought, maybe I should do it more often. Can anyone reccomend me some really good shisha? Right now I have tropical, mint (which I use a little bit of in everything), cola (which I don't like much), apple (which is the fall back, always good), and cherry (its alright).

orange, peach and rose are yumm-mmmy.

IamSam
01-28-2009, 11:31 PM
rose are yumm-mmmy.

This. Heck. Yes. It's my favorite followed by fruit punch.

T-6005
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
omg 3 brs im a 'clic!3

_Lost_
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm a fan of chocolate-mint. I'm usually a big believer in chocolate and mint not mixing well... but its great for hookah.

My roommate last fall, discovered hookah in like august. Her and I went with some people from our dorm to smoke and I'm pretty sure she does it daily now. She hated the chocolate mint though cause she doesn't like chocolate.