PDA

View Full Version : good guys and bad guys

Llamas
08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
A good friend of mine has been battling a heroin addiction for a few years... she didn't tell me about til about a year ago. She was doing really well for the last like 8 or 9 months. Her brother died from a Heroin overdose in February... which took a huge toll on her.

Well I don't know what happened since then (she was doing fine when I saw her a month ago), but she told me today that she got arrested for heroin trafficking recently, and linked me an article. She's always suffered from severe depression, and has committed herself to 24/7 hospitals before due to it, but nothing ever seems to help. She knows better, and what happened to her brother is a huge deterrent... but there are clearly some huge problems.

What bothers me is the article. "Constantineau said he feels sorry for the Topczewski family.

“They buried a son and now they have a daughter up on federal charges,” he said. “That’s got to be every parent’s worst nightmare.”

There is a lesson for anyone thinking heroin can be a recreational drug, Constantineau said."

This pissed me off so much... I guess there's no real point in this post, just a general rant about how the media has portrayed her. Fuck that...

Apathy
08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
If she's committed to quitting, Why isn't she checked into Rehab?

Has she unsuccessfully? Or can she not afford the stay?

Rag Doll
08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
One of my best friends in high school died from a heroin overdose (or heroin cut with something, keep getting different stories). The school sent a letter around that said a student "expired."

hownice.

Llamas
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
If she's committed to quitting, Why isn't she checked into Rehab?

Has she unsuccessfully? Or can she not afford the stay?

She has unsuccessfully. When I said that she's committed herself to a 24/7 hospital before, that included rehab.

Did you hear about this story, btw? It was a Milwaukee area thing posted in Journal Sentinel. She made it sound like the media was making a huge thing about it. :-/

One of my best friends in high school died from a heroin overdose (or heroin cut with something, keep getting different stories). The school sent a letter around that said a student "expired."

hownice.

what the fuck. I don't even know what to say about that, just... ew. :(

Sunny
08-05-2008, 04:16 AM

hownice.

well that's lovely! christ.

llamas, i'm sorry about your friend. this just goes to show you that the media is usually not interested in telling the whole story, let alone from a compassionate angle. "1 kid ded 1 in jail! learn ur lesson!" makes for a good spin or a headline; an honest account of what actually happened, well, what fun is that?

:/

Oxygene
08-05-2008, 04:20 AM
In the past 2 days we had 5-6 people die in Budapest due to heroin being too potent and clean...

I dunno, I guess the world is cruel. Everyone who tries heroin knows what they are getting into. It's sad but it's their choice.

Paint_It_Black
08-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Everyone who tries heroin knows what they are getting into. It's sad but it's their choice.

Ignoring the fact that some people are forced into it, I generally agree.

I feel sorry for heroin addicts, but my first thought is always why the fuck did they ever try it in the first place? But since I've done lots of stupid shit myself, there's no way I can not feel sorry for them. I could be in the same position myself if I had been slightly less fortunate.

What bothers me is the article. "Constantineau said he feels sorry for the Topczewski family.

“They buried a son and now they have a daughter up on federal charges,” he said. “That’s got to be every parent’s worst nightmare.”

There is a lesson for anyone thinking heroin can be a recreational drug, Constantineau said."

This pissed me off so much... I guess there's no real point in this post, just a general rant about how the media has portrayed her. Fuck that...

I'm not sure what's so wrong about that. Maybe the rest of the article was horrible, but I really don't see what's so bad about the part you shared with us. Surely it should be taken as a lesson for anyone who thinks heroin can be a recreational drug? And if it wasn't for the horror stories we hear about drugs I would most likely have used them myself. Only fear prevented me. And I consider that a good thing.

I can't seem to shake the idea now that you hate fat people but love heroin addicts. Yeah, I'm an asshole.

Sunny
08-05-2008, 05:46 AM
I can't seem to shake the idea now that you hate fat people but love heroin addicts. Yeah, I'm an asshole.

i admit, i LOL'd.

i'm assuming llamas is disturbed by a very impersonal/one-sided description of a situation that's very personal to her. amirite?

Paint_It_Black
08-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Probably so. But even though it's personal to her, it's not going to be personal to everyone else. Viewed objectively from someone who doesn't know the girl or her family I don't see what's wrong with it.

Brianna, you know I like you, so I don't want to come off as a dick. I'm sorry that you have a friend in this situation. I feel the need to give my honest opinion though.

Sunny
08-05-2008, 06:12 AM
i guess that even objectively, a tragic situation like that has more complexity to it than the article would imply.

Paint_It_Black
08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
You're only assuming though. Because we haven't seen the article.

I feel like I'm being a douche in this thread, but for once it's not intentional.

Sunny
08-05-2008, 07:49 AM
no, i've read it.

http://www.mymuskegonow.com/story/index.aspx?id=777398

Paint_It_Black
08-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Ok, I get it now. It starts off as a decent article simply reporting facts, then suddenly throws in a quote that makes it personal, and makes her sound like a villain.

Should have just stuck to the facts.

Still seems like a standard piece of journalism though. That's just how these things are.

Sunny
08-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Still seems like a standard piece of journalism though. That's just how these things are.

Oh absolutely, but that's no excuse. standard journalism is a fucking joke these days (US election coverage, anyone?).

Llamas
08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
You know me too well. At least heroin addicts are too drugged up to eat themselves into obesity, seriously.

Ok, I get it now. It starts off as a decent article simply reporting facts, then suddenly throws in a quote that makes it personal, and makes her sound like a villain.

Should have just stuck to the facts.

It is a standard piece of journalism... wasn't ever arguing it wasn't... just took offense as it's the first time I've read such an article about someone I'm close to. And yes, the quote was the thing that pissed me off, thrown into a factual article about a drug operation... it has no importance to the article, and (like media often is) paints her as a horrible person.

Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Everyone who tries heroin knows what they are getting into. It's sad but it's their choice.Meh, you don't know what heroin addiction is like until you become addicted to heroin. Young people thing they're invincible. They do stupid shit. Hell, I'm not that young any more and I still do stupid shit. It's just that you never think you'll run into something more powerful than yourself.

Jakebert
08-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I have sympathy for some drug addicts, none for others. The ones that recognize what they're doing to themselves, admit their mistake, and try to get help will do better if people don't make them out to be horrible criminals, so I have sympathy for them and want them to get better.

But, the kind that will continue doing drugs for 10-20 years without getting help and acting like anyone who questions them is uptight, I have no sympathy for.

I also have no sympathy for people like Rush Limbaugh who denounce drug addicts as scum and then want sympathy once it's revealed that they're pillheads.

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Things like this make me think of the PSA that Stephen Tyler did that said something like one in a thousand will survive and overcome a heroin addiction. It never really hits you how real and sad that is until you see something like this.

If I were to ever meet the person who wrote the article, he'd probably have a whole lot of fist going his/her way.

Apathy
08-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Did you hear about this story, btw? It was a Milwaukee area thing posted in Journal Sentinel. She made it sound like the media was making a huge thing about it. :-/

Yes, I saw a story in the paper. It wasn't all that big of a story, but it was there.

Llamas
08-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry for bumping this, but I haven't been online in a few days and wanted to comment on some things...

I have sympathy for some drug addicts, none for others. The ones that recognize what they're doing to themselves, admit their mistake, and try to get help will do better if people don't make them out to be horrible criminals, so I have sympathy for them and want them to get better.

But, the kind that will continue doing drugs for 10-20 years without getting help and acting like anyone who questions them is uptight, I have no sympathy for.

I also have no sympathy for people like Rush Limbaugh who denounce drug addicts as scum and then want sympathy once it's revealed that they're pillheads.

I fully agree with you. Particularly people who use drugs as their means of living and have no problem with it really piss me off. Those who made a mistake that they can't get past no matter how hard they try, I truly sympathize with.

Kind of off topic, last fall I was out with said friend and a few of her friends, who have also been into heroin... she had been clean for months and was doing well (this was before her brother died), but a few months before that, she'd had a bad time and that was when she put herself in the hospital, after her boyfriend found her locked in her room, passed out for hours. Well, one of the guys said that he "missed" those times, and commented on how one person (she) can so easily fuck it up for everyone else. That really pissed me off. Instead of being proud of her for cleaning up, he made her feel BAD for the fact that he got put in rehab when he got tied back to her. People like him really anger me.

Things like this make me think of the PSA that Stephen Tyler did that said something like one in a thousand will survive and overcome a heroin addiction. It never really hits you how real and sad that is until you see something like this.

If I were to ever meet the person who wrote the article, he'd probably have a whole lot of fist going his/her way.

I'd not heard that statistic before... that's truly scary. It kind of kills my hope that she'll recover... :-/