PDA

View Full Version : Obesity tax

Duskygrin
08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
. .

F@ BANKZ
08-05-2008, 12:42 PM
It sounds like a good idea to me, but it needs more irony.

That should do it.

JohnnyNemesis
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I can only hope that the "young women who look like old ladies" tax that I've heard so much about gets passed soon too.

sKratch
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I thought this would be different and got all ready with a "The burden should be on the government to provide affordable healthy foods to citizens!" stint. It being (1) France, and (2) unclear to me exactly how it works, my stint is irrelevant ;o

Sunny
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I can only hope that the "young women who look like old ladies" tax that I've heard so much about gets passed soon too.

*chokes*

hrrrm. anyways. my problem with this is simple: fast food is cheap, quick and readily available. yes, there are people who indulge in it because they just looooove it so much, but there are MANY people who 1) can't afford to buy better food and 2) work long hours, so they don't have the time to prepare meals from scratch from cheap, fresh ingredients. and as we all know, healthy prepared meals in the EU are outrageously fucking expensive.

so, in short, this idea blows. good intentions, sure, but there's more to successful legislations than just good intentions... amirite?

Sunny
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
well, not everyone is quite so fortunate, Maria.

sKratch
08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
that shrewd yet simple conclusion astounds me.

well since you so know the inner workings of politics maybe you'd care to explain... why it actually came to that? *lopsided smile*

after all, if junk food costs more, it will be a deterrent to budget-strapped folks, no? bringing its price on a par with healthier stuff?

lol amirite, as you're wont to say?

lol@u

You're saying RAISING THE PRICE of affordable food to that of unaffordable food will encourage people to pay for things they can't afford?

Hmmm...

Jesus
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Good news, about time there was some differentiation in vat levels (doubt it will get passed though, farmers are probably opposed to it) to keep health care costs in check.

Jesus
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah but that's what business and the neo-libs want. I doubt they want higher vats. I also doubt Sarko cares about saving health care.

Jakebert
08-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Brianna is going to be stoked at this news.

Jesus
08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm Belgian. Your vat rates are a bit lower compared ours. Here it's 0% for newspapers, 6% for stuff like food, 12% for only a couple things and 21% for the rest.

Little_Miss_1565
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Maria, only eating 5 days a week is not generally considered healthy. Your attitude towards people who aren't stick-thin is kind of appalling.

Jesus
08-05-2008, 02:22 PM
VAT for Mcdonalds etc is already 19.6% I think, because it's a service. Atleast here it is the highest rate (restaurants, fast food places etc). Only food in supermarkets etc has the lowest rate.
And I'm pretty much as Pro EU as you can get, so I won't say anything about the rest. I'll just say this: if people vote for rightwing blowhards in most of Europe you get rightwing policies at the EU level. Same if they vote for lefties. These policies should have little to do with being pro or anti EU imo.

Little_Miss_1565
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
... begging your pardon? I used to fast sometimes one day a week, but now people cook for me, ha. But MY easting-habits, however atrocious they may be, have nought to do with the French gvt passing a law.

I never said it was your eating habits and the law, it was your attitude towards "fatties" that was appalling. Why do you care so much waht other people eat? Also, what you said earlier makes it sound like you eat a lot less often than what you just said.

Not that I care, I don't eat when I'm not at work, and at work, I eat a three-course meal for 2 . I'm being forcefully fed for working.

Llamas
08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Brianna is going to be stoked at this news.

Argh! Upon reading the first post, I was gonna reply with, "And you guys thought I hated fat people!"

Fuck you.

HornyPope
08-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I think obesity is a problem. In fact, I don't like fat people, but you knew that. My personal opinion is everybody should look after himself. I'm not saying be conscious of your image all the time, but I believe in a healthy lifestyle and watching people degrade to the point of fatness is the opposite of my views.

However, I don't want obesity to be handled by the government in any way. I believe in the separation between our Diets and the State. I also don't like taxation as a deterrent policy. I hate consumerism and the financial system with a passion so I don't want to fight social ills such as obesity with more twisted applications of consumerist and fiscal policies.

HornyPope
08-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I understand that you're concerned with the taxes you have to pay for the ills of others but I suggest you don't worry too much about it. Life is not fair. You just worry about your life and be thankful you're not one of the fat ones.

Sunny
08-06-2008, 05:01 AM
I was part of the people who voted NO in the referendum. Who feared the Bolkenstein directive and quailed at the thought of the dreaded Polish plumber. And I don't want Turkey in.

anyone else lol heartily at this?

hey Maria, i'm in ur EU, taking ur jerbz!

sKratch
08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
anyone else lol heartily at this?

hey Maria, i'm in ur EU, taking ur jerbz!

No but I just loled at what you said.

HeadAroundU
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
OMG, fat kills tax!!1 <3

Vera
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I imagine Sunny dressed up like Mario (sans moustache, maybe), walking around in Paris like "hai gaiz, i can has your jobz!".

Dreaded Polish plumber! Rawr eat you!

IamSam
08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
But you still have that gay 35 hour work week. What are us workaholics supposed to do?

IamSam
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Nobody forbids anyone to work 60 hours a week. I work 40. It's just you garner some vacation days which you are compelled to take at the end of each calendar year, else they're not refunded to you - normal holidays are if you don't take them.

But that system is liable to be abolished soon, as I was saying in an earlier post.

Also, we're among the most efficient of Europeans. We do not have small breaks during the day. So that accounts for everything not falling apart due to shorter hours or somesuch.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Jesus
08-06-2008, 01:05 PM
The Polish plumber phrase, a phrase which you will have certainly come across in magazines like The Economist, or any decent newspaper that doesn't only deal with celebrities, encompassed the - foreseen - effect of the Bolkenstein directive, which did not come into force eventually, but whereby a person from another country of the EU with a different minimum wage - or no minimum wage at all - could come into France and be employed at the rate of his country of origin's. Thereby driving French folks out of business, since the French minimum wage is obviously superior to the Polish ot the Czech or the Slovene one. Nobody would have wanted to employ a French person when you could employ a Polish man for half the price.

Pretty much but what you describe was already a changed version. His original plan was completely insane. The country of origin actually had to do the inspections for regulations, minimum wages etc too.

So a comparable US version would be: American companies are allowed to hire Mexican or Guatemalan workers, ship'm over for a couple weeks. Doesn't have to care about the US minimum wages in the US. If somebody thinks that company is not following regulations in regard to their Mexican workers then inspectors from Mexico must do the inspections. Basically every right wing libertarian fantasy put together.

I hate that guy.

JohnnyNemesis
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Let the bears pay the bear tax, etc etc etc, hilarity.

Jakebert
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I pay the Homer tax.