PDA

View Full Version : Out On Patrol

F@ BANKZ
08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Noob style of thread, I know, but I didn't have a choice.

This song never receives the recognition it deserves and I would like people to elucidate why. It is one of my all-time favourite songs, it's raw Offspring, it's unique (acoustic) and to me it could well be the very best song on its album. I really do not understand why people aren't clamouring for a re-recording or begging for it to be played live, I know I would.

Please post your thoughts on the song and how you believe compares to others.

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Best song on the album.

jacknife737
08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
I definitely agree that itís one of the most overlooked songs by the Offspring. Itís like that hidden gem that everyone seems to overlook, it is almost puzzling. Itís a song that makes me wish that the band would make more use of the acoustic guitar. Dexterís vocals on this track are some of his best work, and itís a damn shame that itís not played live. I think it gets overlooked just because songs like Beheaded, Blackball or Jennifer Lost the War seem to almost overshadow it, which is unfortunate.

Free?
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Great song, for me there are no Offspring songs that lack my attention, so, in general, it may be not that well known, but I don't care. I must add that "Revelations" version of it sounded even more amazing and badass!

brian.offspring
08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
love the lyrics . .

c2h5(oh)
08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
and it’s a damn shame that it’s not played live.
Very true words.

Out On Patrol and Elders.. perfect songs of that time.

Hombre
08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Dexter's vocals in this song is great!

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I love that song. I think part of the reason it gets so overlooked is because it doesnt really fit with the style of the rest of the album. Its much more like recent offspring than 1989 offspring.

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree with that. They should re-record it.
Anyone else notice that, from the demos of that album, Dexter's voice is higher than normal on the album than in the demos?

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
bands typically don't really go full out in most demos... they're just laying the tracks down to see what they think before putting time into really recording it well

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 11:29 PM
I know, it just seemed like his voice was comepletely different.

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:32 PM
who knows... maybe it was a little illegal vocal enhancement on the demo recording sessions... you know, something to make the whole experience even more exciting... :eek:

RageAndLov
08-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Out On Patrol is the best song on the album, and one of my top 10 Offspring songs. A shame it doesn't get played live.

F@ BANKZ
08-06-2008, 04:45 AM
love the lyrics . .

Agreed

Beheaded, Blackball or Jennifer Lost the War seem to almost overshadow it, which is unfortunate.

All of those songs receive extra recognition even amongst fans since Beheaded has been re-recorded, Blackball was the single and Jennifer Lost the War was the first track. Out On Patrol really has no title to distinguish it from the other songs on the album other.

Dexter's vocals in this song is great!

Agreed

I love that song. I think part of the reason it gets so overlooked is because it doesnt really fit with the style of the rest of the album. Its much more like recent offspring than 1989 offspring.

I think I'll have to agree again. Whereas Tehran/Blackball/I'll Be Waiting have a distinctly old charm to them, Out On Patrol's is more subtle. I must say I like the way that it has been recorded, therefore I am not really certain of a re-recording's potential worth. Maybe if they re-recorded it in the style of Revalations it would work well though; it seems to me that they removed the elaborations in the song because it wouldn't correspond with the rest of the album's sound, with a re-recording they wouldn't have that problem.

ad8
08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Thanks for making this thread! I also think that it's way underrated and often overlooked, but I also forget to mention it when I'm asked for songs they should play live. The They Were Born To Kill version is really one of their best songs ever written. It should be re-recorded so it can't be underrated because of the quality.

F@ BANKZ
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for making this thread! I also think that it's way underrated and often overlooked, but I also forget to mention it when I'm asked for songs they should play live. The They Were Born To Kill version is really one of their best songs ever written. It should be re-recorded so it can't be underrated because of the quality.

Great minds think alike; agreed, and no problem.

Skinny
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't go as far to say that it's the best song on the album, but it is a very good one. Raw Offspring, Dexter at his best.

Budzy
08-06-2008, 11:57 PM
'Look at you SOLJA BOI now with that big gun in your little hand'
was this the start of something?

great song btw.

Alex101
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Best song on the album.

Agreed. I actually like this song.

SK8rocka
08-08-2008, 03:18 AM
'Look at you SOLJA BOI now with that big gun in your little hand'
was this the start of something?

great song btw.

hahahahaha dexter's way older than solja boy and he got shot hahahahaha

randman21
08-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Almost every song from S/T has been my favorite at some point, and I think "Out on Patrol" was it for the longest. Now, it's "A Thousand Days," but "Out on Patrol" is a masterpiece, deserving of the most praise, in my opinion. I think I may be the only one who prefers it over "Revelations," though.

SaiKYoU
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
i love lyrics on this song... i use to sing'em when drunk while hiting something in a drunk drummer way...