PDA

View Full Version : Easy to ask, Lifetime to answer

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Put simply, what do you think is the best song ever written by The Offspring? Setting aside personal preference, what do you think is their best written, most powerful, and most loved song?

I almost hesitate to give an opinion because I know I'll be met with a firestorm of insults, and I guess that says a lot for the band. But I think that when all aspects are taken into account... (*puts on flame helmet*) ... I think that Can't Get My Head Around You is very worthy for nomination. It was powerful, had great lyrics, and was one of their greatest hits.

My opinion is constantly changing. There are songs from every album that (depending on the day) I think are deserving of the title. But right now that song sticks out.

What do you guys think?

KHWHD
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
First of all, welcome to the forums. Secondly, I hate to tell you... but everyone will tell you to use the search button, that this has been asked a million times... just prewarning you. :p :)

Kick Him When He's Down. Hands down. :)

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I hate to say it, but probably Pretty Fly, in terms of hits. I hate the song, but it was big.

My personal favorite is also KHWHD, ATM.

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
GEEZE! Kick Him When He's Down? My goodness Shank!! GAWD! hahaha...

Very often, I'm caught between End of the Line and Dirty Magic, but A Lot Like Me is threatening to beat them out

KHWHD
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Guys, stop picking on me!!!!!!!!!! :( ;)

hshduppsnt
08-05-2008, 10:35 PM
in terms of hard core fans clearly there are a lot of different answers but I think Ryder was right in terms of successful and powerful in some sense...
and so I have to say, without a doubt...

self esteem

just look at any concert, especially if its a festival that isn't all offspring fans... that one song gets everyone going on another level.

(Bad Habit is pretty good too live)

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
A lot Like Me is really threatening to be my fave, too. But usually, my fave is influenced by whatever song I currently play alot on guitar.

Edit: hshduppsnt, you're defiantly right. But Self Esteem is more like, the hit for the rock/punk fans. It was big, but Pretty Fly is the song that almost everyone can like. Everyone except the Offspring's fans, that is :p

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
A lot Like Me is really threatening to be my fave, too. But usually, my fave is influenced by whatever song I currently play alot on guitar.
True dat

ten damn characters

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Shank I'd actually have to say that's one of my favorites. Ignition had a lot of good songs

I'm suprised at how popular stuff from RFRG is. I figured most people would be pushing songs from Smash.

KHWHD
08-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Shank I'd actually have to say that's one of my favorites. Ignition had a lot of good songs

I'm suprised at how popular stuff from RFRG is. I figured most people would be pushing songs from Smash.

I love You're Gonna Go Far, Kid too. It's very close to KHWHD, but not quite my favourite. :)

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM

Shit, I forgot about Smash. Thinking about it, my top 5 would ATM go something like...

KHWHD
What Happened to You?
A Lot Like Me
Smash
Out on Patrol/Crossroads (can't decide)

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I love You're Gonna Go Far, Kid too. It's very close to KHWHD, but not quite my favourite. :)

Quite possibly the best from that album. Dexter has such a way with the F word. It's like he has a thing for it. I've counted like... six Offspring songs where fuck is in the chorus. Haha.

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 10:53 PM

The things people like here vary from most recent to oldest songs. My personal favorite album is Ixnay on the Hombre, but my favorite song are on different albums for the most part

hshduppsnt
08-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Edit: hshduppsnt, you're defiantly right. But Self Esteem is more like, the hit for the rock/punk fans. It was big, but Pretty Fly is the song that almost everyone can like. Everyone except the Offspring's fans, that is :p

thats true... pretty fly has more recognition...

as for my own current top five... it changes every like five minutes
but at the moment

self esteem
hammerhead
you're gonna go far, kid
blackball
mota (mostly because I heard it live the other night - burn it up gets honorable mentions for the same reason)

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Quite possibly the best from that album. Dexter has such a way with the F word. It's like he has a thing for it. I've counted like... six Offspring songs where fuck is in the chorus. Haha.

I don't really like YGGF,K for some reason, can't get into it.
I lurve Rock Bottom though. And A Lot Like Me is the icing on the cake.

as for my own current top five... it changes every like five minutes
but at the moment

self esteem
hammerhead
you're gonna go far, kid
blackball
mota (mostly because I heard it live the other night - burn it up gets honorable mentions for the same reason)

I really cannot get into Hammerhead anymore. It wasn't even really played here, but somehow I feel like it was overplayed. It'll probably grow on me again though.

KHWHD
08-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Seems to come very natural for him eh? :p ;)

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
now see, i like yggfk, a lot like me, and half-truism. Rock bottom? not really

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Songs with fuck in the chorus...

Da Hui
Gonna Go Far Kid
No Hero
Stuff is Messed Up
Americana
Bad Habit

... Am I missin' any?

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Bad Habit

... Am I missin' any?
wait, isnt the fuck in Bad habit in the verse?

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Da Hui
Gonna Go Far Kid
No Hero
Stuff is Messed Up
Americana
Bad Habit

... Am I missin' any?
I choose

ten damn characters

hshduppsnt
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM

I really cannot get into Hammerhead anymore. It wasn't even really played here, but somehow I feel like it was overplayed. It'll probably grow on me again though.

i love rock bottom too... hell i just about love every song on the new album...

as for hammerhead, i fully expected that to happen, given how much kroq plays it down here too and whatnot... but for whatever reason... even after listening to clips while putting together my hammerhead video (and maybe because it reminds me of that) for whatever reason im not getting sick of it... and as a result its up there.

as for you're gonna go far, kid, heard that song first time live and i think that helped because even not having known it it got me jumping up and down a lot, good beat for that, and that stuck with me.

plus the chorus is just classic :)

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Oh you're right.

"Open the glove box. Reach inside. Gonna wreck this fucker's ride."

My bad

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:03 PM

as for hammerhead, i fully expected that to happen, given how much kroq plays it down here too and whatnot... but for whatever reason... even after listening to clips while putting together my hammerhead video (and maybe because it reminds me of that) for whatever reason im not getting sick of it... and as a result its up there.

as for you're gonna go far, kid, heard that song first time live and i think that helped because even not having known it it got me jumping up and down a lot, good beat for that, and that stuck with me.

i got sick of hammerhead after making the video for the contest that they still haven't released the winners names

KHWHD
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh you're right.

"Open the glove box. Reach inside. Gonna wreck this fucker's ride."

My bad

Hahaha.... he said bad... Get it? :p

hshduppsnt
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
i got sick of hammerhead after making the video for the contest that they still haven't released the winners names

i would care more but im totally not gonna win so i had a lot of fun doing it (it was a good break from research)

Hahaha.... he said bad... Get it? :p

*ba-dum chh*

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, cause I remember getting chills while listening to Hammerhead (sneedo gave me a copy of the studio version 2 days before Offspring released it, don't know where he got it though), and when the summersonic live one was uploaded, I was listening to it constantly.

YGGF,K was my fave from RAFRAG when I first heard it live (of course this is before it came out, so not a lot to choose from yet), but it kinda got lost when the album came out.

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:06 PM
i would care more but im totally not gonna win so i had a lot of fun doing it (it was a good break from research)
I have nothing better to do so I'm lingering on it. I listened to that song so many times making my video that I skip Hammerhead every time it plays on my ipod now

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:07 PM
YGGF,K was my fave from RAFRAG when I first heard it live (of course this is before it came out, so not a lot to choose from yet), but it kinda got lost when the album came out.
YGGFK is a song i can really groove to

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 11:08 PM

*ba-dum chh*

... ba-dum wha...?

... Oh I get it. Like the drum thingy from a bad stand up joke.

God I'm dumb.

hshduppsnt
08-05-2008, 11:10 PM
... ba-dum wha...?

... Oh I get it. Like the drum thingy from a bad stand up joke.

God I'm dumb.

haha no - you got it - plus I'm sure there's a better way to do that, I just couldn't come up with a better one

the Mota Boy
08-05-2008, 11:10 PM

Yea. Hammerhead was their flagship song for RFRG. You can only expect it to get old. Like Pretty Fly (which I DO admitt to liking).

lost_nvrfound
08-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Yea. Hammerhead was their flagship song for RFRG. You can only expect it to get old. Like Pretty Fly (which I DO admitt to liking).
I used to love pretty fly... but then i made a video for it... same story...

actually not really... we did a skit in Drama show using that song as the theme song...

Ryder1234
08-05-2008, 11:49 PM
When I first got Greatest Hits, I remember thinking "HAHAAHA that gibberish at the begining is priceless!!11!"
And after I got the CMVC, I showed the video to everyone.

lost_nvrfound
08-06-2008, 12:17 AM
When I first got Greatest Hits, I remember thinking "HAHAAHA that gibberish at the begining is priceless!!11!"
And after I got the CMVC, I showed the video to everyone.
its a sample from a led zepplin song. Every time the led zepplin song comes up on shuffle, I always expect Dexter's voice but instead I get a slow build up to a Led Zepplin tune. Its like when you bite into a chocolate, expecting it to be fudge, but its really coconut. Quite a disappointment.

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah I have the song... or i used to. Apperently its not in my led zepplin folder now.

lost_nvrfound
08-06-2008, 12:34 AM
I don't really care for the Led... I'm a little confused as to why I have them on my computer (Zepplin 1 thru 4)...:confused:

joshua brajkovic
08-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Mine would have to be amazed. Closely followed by Change The World and Pay The Man. But maybe ive just got a thing for closing songs??

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 12:35 AM
I only have the song Black Dog now.

lost_nvrfound
08-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Mine would have to be amazed. Closely followed by Change The World and Pay The Man. But maybe ive just got a thing for closing songs??
all very excellent songs. Pay the man is my favorite song to play when bored and not on the computer

Superdope
08-06-2008, 12:43 AM
Crossroads, hands-down.

Budzy
08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
okay im not gonnaput down my fav song (Americana) because to be honest although its my fav song, i dont think its would be their best song. does that make sense? i mean like its not the best written and stuff.

I think TKAA would have to be one of them, because it was pretty big, the lyrics are beautiful and i dont see a fault to it.

Same with Can't Repeat and half-truism. they just sound perfect.

its outta those 3 anyways, imho.

disclaimer_07
08-06-2008, 02:25 AM

Da Hui
Gonna Go Far Kid
No Hero
Stuff is Messed Up
Americana
Bad Habit

... Am I missin' any?

Really sorry to say this, but the chorus of Da Hui is also "fuck-less" ;P -_^

Back to the topic:

The answer is Lightning Rod.

Free?
08-06-2008, 02:44 AM
Hello, the Mota Boy! I keep repeating myself about "the most favorite Offspring song" issue, so here it is again... I find it impossible to tell one/five/ten/twenty-five favorite songs, it would take me whole day to choose and in the next day I would change it. I believe that any Offspring fan can't really stop on a single song. That's why I find such threads pretty silly - no matter how much you struggle with yourself picking one song, sooner or later you will realize that you like other song (-s) equally and in the end it doesn't really matter. Just accept my point and be happy :p

EDIT: And about the F-word. Yes, Offspring use it a lot, but million other bands use it not any less.

Rutegard
08-06-2008, 05:16 AM
i'm not prepared yet to answer that...

i'll try again probably in 2 months time...i'm not sure :D

F@ BANKZ
08-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Million Miles Away seems very well written to me. The song is farily simple, but it is extremely articulate.

ad8
08-06-2008, 05:43 AM
It's really hard to just single out one song. Imo, Kick Him When He's Down, I'll Be Waiting, Nothing from Something, Self Esteem, It'll Be A Long Time, Trust In You and YGGFK could be my choice. But I can't compare them and say "This one is better than the rest"

Stylie
08-06-2008, 06:50 AM
But Self Esteem is more like, the hit for the rock/punk fans. It was big, but Pretty Fly is the song that almost everyone can like. Everyone except the Offspring's fans, that is :p

What did you mean by that?
I love Pretty Fly, and it shows a little "history" of The Offspring. Everyone should love that. :P

Stylie
08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
I think TKAA would have to be one of them, because it was pretty big, the lyrics are beautiful and i dont see a fault to it.

Yeah, The Kids Aren't Alright. That's a damn good song! The lyrics are so strong. I love to watch the greatest hits-bonus stuff talking about that song. It's a really sad and hard story...

FellDrake
08-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Changes a lot over the years...

ATM I'm tempted to also say A Lot Like Me. It just wonderfully fits to Dexter's voice and carries so much emotion. But I think that's partly because it's still fresh and new. Maybe that'll settle in some time.

Million Miles is also a great song. It just gets me going everytime it's played, no matter what mood I'm in.

A really underrated song is I'll Be Waiting IMO. But that's more from the lyrics. everytime they start into that chorus it sends shivers down my neck.

Edit: Oh, not to forget Forever And A Day.
Kickass song and great lyrics. A shame that it's kind of boring to play on guitar since it's only 3 chords for the most parts.

drummerbecca
08-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Finally, someone said Forever and a Day. I thought I was going to get through that whole thread and not see it mentioned anywhere, thankyou FellDrake.
I'm kind of in the same boat as a few others here, there are just too many songs that are amazing, in my opinion. FAAD being one of them. I get goosebumps when I hear that song. Pay the Man, Kick Him When He's Down, Never Gonna Find Me (I just love the harmonies at the end), Lightning Rod, Half-Truism, Dirty Magic... My list could go on and on.

mrs_hollandova
08-06-2008, 09:02 AM
The answer is easy - SELF ESTEEM!!! :cool: BEST SONG EVER

randman21
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
I think the best one is "I Choose". Those are the most brilliantly written lyrics of all. They were very hard for me to decipher, but they all make sense when you think about it. It's nowhere near the top of my favorites (maybe bottom half), but I'm sure it's well-received and a damn good song.

Ryder1234
08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
What did you mean by that?
I love Pretty Fly, and it shows a little "history" of The Offspring. Everyone should love that. :P

I mean that most fans don't like it, and they seem to be the only ones. There's nothing wrong with liking it, though :)

Diego06
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
for the lyrics my favourites are "i'll be waiting", "smash", "all i want", "pay the man", "never gonna find me", you're gonna go far kid", "rise and fall" and "takes me nowhere" but for me the best of the best for the lyrics is "defy you"

F@ BANKZ
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I mean that most fans don't like it, and they seem to be the only ones. There's nothing wrong with liking it, though :)

Most fans do like it, but very would classify it as a favourite I think. I know personally (as an example) I would like it if the song was played slightly less frequently but It's nothing to be ardent about.

Stylie
08-06-2008, 04:04 PM

Most fans don't like it? Haha, where did you get that info from? :p

Most fans do like it, but very would classify it as a favourite I think. I know personally (as an example) I would like it if the song was played slightly less frequently but It's nothing to be ardent about.

Exactly. That song is pop punk, but The Offspring have been/or are in that section still. I love that song, but I wouldn't classify it as a favourite, as F@ BANKZ says. :)
...btw, how did you come up with that nick, F@ BANKZ? What does it mean?

jacknife737
08-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Agreed. It's not necessarily a direction that i'd want the band to completely follow, but as an individual song, it's great.

MT88
08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
First time posting on these boards.

Anyway ...

Most well-written: I Choose, No Hero
Catchiest: Living in Chaos/Want You Bad (basically that whole album, and not necessarily in a good way, either), You're Gonna Go ...
Most genuinely touching: Leave it Behind, Hypodermic, Amazed, Dirty Magic, Self-Esteem, Gone Away, A Lot Like Me, The End Line
Most badass: Take it Like a Man, Pay the Man, Me & My Old Lady Beheaded, Jennifer ...
What the fuck?: Fix You, Nothingtown, Long Way Home, Million Miles Away, Feelings
Best for your skate part: Session (this was used in a Plan B video), The Kids Aren't ... (used in a video I forget), Smash (used by me), The Meaning of Life, No Brakes, All I Want
Comic (really, though): Mota, Don't Pick it Up, Spare Me the Details (bittersweet), Special Delivery
Most representative of the casual listener: All I Want, Come out and Play, The Kids ..., Self-Esteem, Hit That, Gone Away; all of the other likely suspects (the ones I listed are great songs) are not as prominent as might be thought - at least I doubt it. You'd have to wonder why interesting and worthwhile people ever took The Offspring seriously if they were RESPECTED for things like Pretty Fly, Original Prankster (nice chorus), Why Don't You Get a Job, and so forth. They're a great band. I'm disappointed with Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace ... but that's for another place. I don't have all bad things to say. They just need a wake-up call and an album that screams: we are better than all the bands that sound like us. Not: we are as good as all the bands we now sound like.

I guess that's it, and I posted in a weird little corner. Hope it's seen.

jacknife737
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Nice first post, welcome to the bbs MT88.

Jaded skies
08-06-2008, 10:45 PM
forever and a day or all i want

danitanev
08-07-2008, 12:54 AM
I personally think that the song that deserves to be number one because it has great sound, great lyrics and it's very well accepted from all The Offspring fans on their shows and it just has everything to be Number 1 is The Kids Aren't Alright - don't get me wrong I love every single The Offspring song, but if there should be a winner - TKAA should be! :)

Stylie
08-07-2008, 05:10 AM
I personally think that the song that deserves to be number one because it has great sound, great lyrics and it's very well accepted from all The Offspring fans on their shows and it just has everything to be Number 1 is The Kids Aren't Alright - don't get me wrong I love every single The Offspring song, but if there should be a winner - TKAA should be! :)

Yep, TKAA is a very good choice. :)

dff_punk
08-07-2008, 06:39 AM
When I read the first post, I immediately thought of TKAA. So this one gets my vote, it might be one of the most important songs for Offsprings legacy. Second might be Self Esteem or Dirty Magic.

holland25
08-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Tehran is an underrated piece of work too, so it gets my vote. But considering the song's popularity, I'd go with Self Esteem.

Camilamazed
08-07-2008, 07:27 AM
I think Americana is very well written and would have been made an awesome video clip.

the Mota Boy
08-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Yea. I seriously thought about The Kids Aren't Alright, but my personal preference for Can't Get My Head Around You won out. I'm such a hypocrite. Haha

Btw, does anyone know why the first half of the song name is in parenthasis?

lost_nvrfound
08-07-2008, 09:34 PM
so that one could say Head Around You without being wrong about the name and not having such a mouthful...

idk...:D

Dex90
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
have to answer top 2 from every cd

most powerful and most well written from:

The Offspring - I'll be waiting, tehran

Ignition - no hero, nothing from something

Smash - It'll be a long time, Smash

Ixnay - Leave it Behind, Gone Away

Americana - Pay the man, Have You Ever

CO1 - Million miles Away, CO1

Splinter - The Noose, Lightning Rod