PDA

View Full Version : I've got some ideas

adombomb222
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
So Iíve been thinking, and I know itís a little premature (like most of the men here), but Iíve been thinking about the end of the year awards given out by people at the beginning of next year for this year. I know traditionally we nominate people for categories and the winners on a person-by-person basis. However, why donít we, this year, all nominate both categories and nominees, and then have a final vote at the end over the year?

The reason Iím bringing this up so early is so that we may vote for the categories and the nominees right now and have a lot of time to prepare a final vote. Also I think it would be good to have at least a few days to get as many peoples input as possible. I just think it would be fun to do something official on the forums, I believe itís of the favorite events that comes every year. It is a very enjoyable time for everyone; lets make it a little more structured.

And Iíll volunteer to do all the dirty work and get this to run as smooth as possible if you all want to do this.

lost_nvrfound
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I like it!

Category:

Best Ban

Ryder1234
08-07-2008, 11:26 PM
With lost_nvrfound on that category there. :D

My category: Best flame war. (I'm so nominating that thing with bighead in the "Here's what I've been thinking" thread when the time comes, even though it wasn't really flaming :p)

You guys should so vote me for "Most improved..." :p

Jakebert
08-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Asshole of the year.

I nominate Andy.

bighead384
08-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I know I'll win all the negative awards. That just shows how punk I am.

Little_Miss_1565
08-09-2008, 12:52 AM
I lol'd, as this has been an unofficial sort of thing in years past and is generally a source of much BBS giggles.

It does, however, become troll fodder, as trolls thrive on nothing so much as attention. Having negative categories only reinforces their fucktarded behavior because trolls feel that as long as people are looking at them all is good and right with the world. Like Paris Hilton.

adombomb222
08-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Asshole of the year.

I nominate Andy.

Yes, yes. Of corase. He WILL hold that title for ever and ever. Damn Andy. With his asshole-i-ness!:mad:

ad8
08-11-2008, 10:28 AM
I lol'd, as this has been an unofficial sort of thing in years past and is generally a source of much BBS giggles.

It does, however, become troll fodder, as trolls thrive on nothing so much as attention. Having negative categories only reinforces their fucktarded behavior because trolls feel that as long as people are looking at them all is good and right with the world. Like Paris Hilton.

Seriously? I mean... think about it. The Prussian Blue thread trolls. Obang. Would these people care about some "worst troll of the year" award? I don't think so. Maybe people like Cock Joke would. But as long as people like him are being banned, they can't spam the forums to win that award. And I can't imagine that someone risks getting banned from the forums for the sake of one small award...

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Seriously? I mean... think about it. The Prussian Blue thread trolls. Obang. Would these people care about some "worst troll of the year" award? I don't think so. Maybe people like Cock Joke would. But as long as people like him are being banned, they can't spam the forums to win that award. And I can't imagine that someone risks getting banned from the forums for the sake of one small award...

Search for the last awards thread, i think it was from 2006. If you could see all the deleted posts, most of them were Cock Joke trying to spam his way to an award. He might be back soon, we're still discussing it, but I'm just saying that awards threads seem to attract and reinforce trollish behavior like that. You can even just look at one of the replies in this thread to see it starting.

Jakebert
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, what she said.

But, if we do it and didn't name awards like "worst troll" and negative ones, I think it could work. Which is why I like your idea of starting the nominations early: we could all look at the proposed categories and discuss which ones are appropriate and wouldn't cause a big spamfest and which ones wouldn't. Maybe the mods could even discuss and come up with some stuff to stay away from to keep things civil.

adombomb222
08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Thats what I was getting at... I me the ones of past years were fun, but there was a lot of spam.

Little_Miss_1565
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Maybe the mods could even discuss and come up with some stuff to stay away from to keep things civil.

Not going to lie, part of the fun of the awards threads was not just the dick-sucking joy of someone saying they love reading your replies every day/wish you would post more/seeing pictures of you in Photo Album, but some level of snarkiness too. I think it would be less fun if it was a from-the-top-down moderator-approved affair, but at the same time this is a different forum now, ganging up and ripping on others is no longer playground-appropriate, etc etc. If Adombomb wants to come up with something but has questions about stuff, I'm sure moderators would be willing to give their two cents. JN did one of the awards threads; you could talk to him about it too.

JohnnyNemesis
08-11-2008, 10:49 PM
i say lolz (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27278)

Jakebert
08-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Not going to lie, part of the fun of the awards threads was not just the dick-sucking joy of someone saying they love reading your replies every day/wish you would post more/seeing pictures of you in Photo Album, but some level of snarkiness too. I think it would be less fun if it was a from-the-top-down moderator-approved affair, but at the same time this is a different forum now, ganging up and ripping on others is no longer playground-appropriate, etc etc. If Adombomb wants to come up with something but has questions about stuff, I'm sure moderators would be willing to give their two cents. JN did one of the awards threads; you could talk to him about it too.

I'm not necessarily saying it has to be official with the mods dictating it or completely running it, obviously a lot of the fun in the way adombomb suggested would be the board working together and discussing categories and stuff.

And I agree that a lot of the fun, as evidenced in that thread, is some of the arguing and stuff that comes a lot with it. Dain vs. RickyCrack, for example, is hilarious. But like you said, the arguing and bickering on the board as of late has taken a very strange turn that goes into much deeper, meaner territory than the kind of ripping and arguing back then.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there has got to be some kind of happy medium that we could find.

Also, how weird is it that that thread was made almost 2 years ago and I still remember a lot of it?

0r4ng3
08-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I could've sworn we made a 2007 awards thread. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

Jakebert
08-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah, we did, because I remember the music sharing thread being named thread of the year in almost every post, and I was very proud of myself. My baby won!

lost_nvrfound
08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
i agree with some of whats been said....

like there should be a healthy balance between positive, negative, and funny awards.

like "biggest offspring nut" and "best comeback" and such

Betty
08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Well, if people think it's a good idea, I say throw up a thread in GC. We could give ideas for categories to start and omit categories if necessary.

??

bighead384
08-13-2008, 02:10 AM
People aren't going to treat insults in an awards thread any differently just because it's an awards thread. I know I won't. And you know people will have their little explanations next to each award, which is just going to stir up more shit. I'm just acknowledging the inevitable truth here...

Rag Doll
08-13-2008, 02:28 AM
I don't think anyone is saying people will treat insults differently (if they did and i misread something, i'm sorry) in an awards thread. they are hoping to have an awards thread WITHOUT the negativity and insults...ie: no categories that are just going to start a whole ton of negative shit. it won't even get to the point of insults because those categories won't exist...

Little_Miss_1565
08-13-2008, 07:26 AM
What Sam said. Also, it's not a matter of preparing for what people might potentially do, it's trying to avoid what people have already done in those situations.

Lithuanian Offspring
08-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Pft!

Lalalala.

adombomb222
09-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Ok, lets start this shit up...