PDA

View Full Version : American Punkrock

Captain-Kacke
08-08-2008, 06:18 AM
hi!
i'm from germany and i don't know how you guys in america understand the word "punkrock" today. i mean in the 70's and the 80's there were a lot of great american punkbands like "gbh", "dead kennedys", "black flack" etc. but it seems that today the us-punk is just crap like "blink-182", "good charlotte" and "yellow card". ok, maybe i'm wrong but it really looks like that there just these commercial-wannabe-punkbands in the usa today (if it's not true, please correct me). i mean i very like bands like "the offspring", "misfits" and "the casualties", but that couldn't be everything... for those who are interested, here are some youtube-links of really great german punkbands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXChnKqYX-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UghYEMoslKg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bWW3UFVpHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9jA3G-Voo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jKz-jScPmk

Jojan
08-08-2008, 06:31 AM
First or all; GBH are British.

Second of all; Media often puts the labes of bands being punkrock. Bands like Blink 182 are often not just called punkrock, but also pop punk and such. The case is also that many of the bands who are called punkrock bands started off as punkrock bands or maybe listend to alot of punkrock music, but they evolved to something else.

Exploited and Blitz are both called classical punk band, but Exploited started to make metal music and Blitz started making techno music. So this thing with punk bands playing more of some other genres is nothing new. There's alot of band that still plays classical, old school punkrock.

But the conclusion is that the media sucks, and the society that want to sell everything to those who can pay the most for it.

Now thank god for the media, for saving the day
Putting it all into perspective in a responsible way
With more celebrity news
Typical bullshit views
I think we’re losing this fight
Sponsored by Bud Light

holland25
08-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Third of all: Black Flag is spelled Black Flag, not Black Flack.

Fourth of all: Misfits nowadays suck, no original line-up and the music is different.

0r4ng3
08-08-2008, 07:56 AM
You can't judge an entire genre just by a few of the popular bands. Punk is the best that it's ever been, if you look for the right bands.

Also, if you wanted to promote German punk bands, you could've just said "hey, here's some German punk bands", instead of "American punk sucks, here's some German punk bands".

Captain-Kacke
08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
that's the point!
but my question is, do the people in america really think that bands like green day would be real punkrock? punkrock has nothing to do with money-making-major labels and charts and radio etc. punk should be dirty, aggressiv and not a fucking mainstream thing. it's a shame when i hear that people say "yeah i like punkrock! i just bought the new album of sum 41!"... i also hate these new trendy-wannabe-oldschool-punkbands like "rise against" or "strike anywhere". what is that? all these bands are absoloutely the same! they just try to make real punk with political lyrics, screaming and pop-melodys... i know that these bands are just made by record labels too. but who wants that? hip hop or this fucking nu-metal is mainstream and that's ok for the people but punkrock shouldn't be a part of that. fuck this commercial shit!

Captain-Kacke
08-08-2008, 08:04 AM
@0r4ng3

well, i said if i'm wrong then you can correct me.

i don't say that every american band suck but it looks like that many of them don't know what real punkrock should be or that they are just controlled by record labels.

Free?
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I loved Die Arzte's video, thanks!
And I understand your point, but it's up to each person to decide how much does he ask from a band, whether it be Simple Plan or Sex Pistols, and to call it punkrock or not. I personally dislike today's pop-punk scene that sings sometimes even more bullshit than some pop singers. Yes, punkrock should be about message, about protest, without any half-assed lyrics, but today it became mainstream, loads of punk attributes are now popular amongst masses, there is nothing you can do about that. If there are listeners that will buy such product, there always will be so-called rockstars who will sing what listeners want to hear. Try to ignore them, in the end it's they who are ok with their brains being shited.

I suggest you to check bands named Rentokill (http://www.myspace.com/rentokill) and Golliwog (http://www.myspace.com/golly), I'm sure you'll like them.

Captain-Kacke
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
hmm, i think you're right

PS: rentokill is great! thanks^^

jacknife737
08-08-2008, 01:04 PM
You can't judge an entire genre just by a few of the popular bands. Punk is the best that it's ever been, if you look for the right bands.

Quoted for truth; punk rock is alive and well in the US/North America, and dare I say is better then ever.

Against Me!, A Wilhelm Scream, American Steel, The Loved Ones, Dillinger Four, Lawrence Arms, Hot Water Music, Street Dogs, Dead To Me, Alkaline Trio, I could go on, and on, and on, and on….

Captain-Kackle, you seem to only get your view of American “punk” from MTV;that dosen’t sound very “punx” to me. Plus most of the bands that you mentioned are nothing more then pop-rock bands with a punk influence.

P.S. The Casualties fucking suck.

P.P.S www.punknews.org = will keep you updated on the current US (and world) punk scene.

0r4ng3
08-08-2008, 01:12 PM
P.P.S www.punknews.org = will keep you updated on the current US (and world) punk scene.
Just don't bother to read the comments. The users on that site hate everything.

holland25
08-08-2008, 02:36 PM
P.S. The Casualties fucking suck.

Why? I like them...

ad8
08-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Hm... I think you can't say that american punkrock sucks just because it is not like german punkrock. The difference between american and german punkrock is enormous. For example german punkrock is all about being against the police and the state whereas american punkrock is against the system. German punkrock often says that the police and the state have to be destroyed (Die Ärzte is an exception) whereas american punkrock often says that people should act in a different way and that the system has to be changed.

Free?
08-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Hm... I think you can't say that american punkrock sucks just because it is not like german punkrock. The difference between american and german punkrock is enormous. For example german punkrock is all about being against the police and the state whereas american punkrock is against the system. German punkrock often says that the police and the state have to be destroyed (Die Ärzte is an exception) whereas american punkrock often says that people should act in a different way and that the system has to be changed.

Maybe you know it better, but I'm pretty damn sure that there is no strict separation between american, german or wherever punkrock is like you said.

IamSam
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Just don't bother to read the comments. The users on that site hate everything.

You're not kidding. I read the comments about about Billy Talent prepping their new album and it was ridiculous.

0r4ng3
08-09-2008, 12:28 PM
I saw that story too. I didn't even bother clicking "Read More", because I knew what to expect. It boggles my mind how people decide to register for that site just to hate on every single story and every single band.

Little_Miss_1565
08-09-2008, 12:35 PM
punk should be dirty, aggressiv and not a fucking mainstream thing.

What happens then when the underground becomes mainstream? It's one of the cycles of American music. Overproduced pop garbage is huge, then there's a backlash against it and people seek out the dirty, more genuine underground. When Green Day hit it big, Dookie was actually their most dirty and aggressive album. Their two underground albums are great, but they're all about mooning over girls at the library, talking obliquely about smoking weed with friends, etc. Dookie was their most punk album, and yet it's the one that everyone points to saying they sold out. Makes no sense.

It boggles my mind how people decide to register for that site just to hate on every single story and every single band.

Dude, you didn't hear? It's cool to hate.

*runs away*

jacknife737
08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I saw that story too. I didn't even bother clicking "Read More", because I knew what to expect. It boggles my mind how people decide to register for that site just to hate on every single story and every single band.

It's really not as bad as people make it out to be. Sure a lot of stuff outside of the "org-core" gets a fair amount of hate, but there is a decent community on that site.

IamSam
08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Dude, you didn't hear? It's cool to hate.

*runs away*

Oh man...Little_Miss...you took my line!

This means war!:mad:

Your mother was a hamster!

Punk rock continues throughout the US. What I like though is what I've heard from Billy Talent and hope that other bands kind of follow what they are doing. Same as Against Me!.

0r4ng3
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I just realized the irony in mentioning Billy Talent in a thread about American punk bands.

IamSam
08-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I just realized the irony in mentioning Billy Talent in a thread about American punk bands.

Lol....it is...but I do like what they are doing.

ad8
08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe you know it better, but I'm pretty damn sure that there is no strict separation between american, german or wherever punkrock is like you said.

Of course. I just wanted to express that, in my opinion, the majority of the music is rather influenced by one thing than by another, which may be the other way around in a different country. But surely it is never the same with all of them.

Smash punker
08-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Punx in U.S. was awesome, but it´s dead now. I wish I could live in 70´s or 80´s there! :D