PDA

View Full Version : Olympic ceremony

HornyPope
08-08-2008, 09:33 AM
It fascinates me how the production is so well executed. Just watching the whole operation unfold without problems is special. It's mind boggling to wonder how many hours were put by the people in charge into organizing this show.

I liked the music too. Better than that Kilye Minog singing.

Looking forward to the games!

Little_Miss_1565
08-08-2008, 09:47 AM
I thought it was on at 8:08 pm?

nieh
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM

They stole that idea from the Boredoms.

And that's when it started Beijing time, which I think might have happened already. It's being broadcast here later tonight or something like that.

Splinter[PI]
08-08-2008, 09:53 AM
I've seen a part of it. A lot of funny clothes!:D

HornyPope
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM

And that's when it started Beijing time, which I think might have happened already. It's being broadcast here later tonight or something like that.

Exactly. They don't make the ceremony for the East Coast, Sarah, but there will be an encore presentation so worry not!

Little_Miss_1565
08-08-2008, 10:13 AM

Har har. :) Wish I could go.

Exactly. They don't make the ceremony for the East Coast, Sarah, but there will be an encore presentation so worry not!

Yes, I know, but I would have thought that local carriers would have delayed broadcast to keep with the magic of the whole 8:08 PM thing.

Camilamazed
08-08-2008, 10:32 AM
is it going to be on tv?

I was looking for it in the morning and saw some news about it but not the ceremony itself.

I really want to watch it.

nieh
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Har har. :) Wish I could go.

Yeah, I'm going to miss the one this year as well. They're apparently finally doing a dvd of last year's, but I think it was billed as a documentary so I don't know if it's going to have the full show uncut on there or not.

F@ BANKZ
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm not certain how accurate the projection of 4 billion viewers was. Then again, all of China would have been watching I cannot imagine it being too wildly wrong.

The 08/08/08 was occasion enough, but this is just silly.

I cannot deny that it was amazing; when I first turned it on I was captivated by the printing representation, and I appreciated their "one world, one dream" idea. The martial art circle was the highlight for me, it's a shame that the fireworks couldn't be shown to be as impressive as they undoubtedly would have been for the people inside the stadium though.

I went into town with friends during the ceremony, when I returned the very second my television first tuned in was when the flames were spiralling up the torch during the last few moments of the ceremony.

Duskygrin
08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
When will the male 100 metre dash final be aired? It's the one event I wouldn't want to miss out on.

What I mean is, I need a link to see it live, free, from the internet. Anybody know of any site doing free coverage of the Follympics?

drex878
08-08-2008, 06:41 PM
The opening ceremony was epic.

jacknife737
08-08-2008, 09:34 PM
The opening ceremonies were a great way to spend a couple hours this morning. I especially liked the “foot-print” fireworks. And the whole “scroll” thing was pretty damn impressive. Any doubts about the selection of the games at Beijing have left after witnessing that spectacle.

Little_Miss_1565
08-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Any doubts about the selection of the games at Beijing have left after witnessing that spectacle.

Wait, so the fireworks were so impressive as to make everyone forget about their human rights record? ;)

jacknife737
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Wait, so the fireworks were so impressive as to make everyone forget about their human rights record? ;)

I guess I am easily distracted by bright pretty lights.

Gustavo
08-09-2008, 05:02 AM
I watched it, and it was great!
That idea of that man flying to go light the torch was fascinating!
I'm really looking forward to watch the games.
They probably had some hard times to do all the whole thing, it was probably very hard to put each person in charge of each thing.
But, it was great.
Congratulations for those who organized it.

IamSam
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
The opening ceremony was epic.

The Visa commercials with Morgan Freeman talking are fucking epic.

During the opening ceremony (I'm a pansy ass) I almost started crying when they told the story of that 9 year old Chinese boy that was pulled from earthquake wreckage and came back to help pull his classmates out. Incredible.

EDIT: Oh god...the Dutch beach volleyball players are fucking hot. Go Dutch...in hotness. Go America for medals! ;)

drex878
08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
The Visa commercials with Morgan Freeman talking are fucking epic.

During the opening ceremony (I'm a pansy ass) I almost started crying when they told the story of that 9 year old Chinese boy that was pulled from earthquake wreckage and came back to help pull his classmates out. Incredible.

EDIT: Oh god...the Dutch beach volleyball players are fucking hot. Go Dutch...in hotness. Go America for medals! ;)

Yeah, the story of the 9 year old boy was pretty touching. It must have been so colossal for the boy walking next to Yoa Ming in a massive stadium.

And yes, Dutch vollyball girls <3.

IamSam
08-11-2008, 08:45 AM
So...I just want to say that Jason Lezak is the man. Take that, French relay team! HA!

SaiKYoU
08-11-2008, 10:03 AM
teh best part was when the spanish basketball broke the protocol ans started wandering on the track, and then you see a chinese guy form the organization [1.50 meter height] telling Pau and Marc Gasol [over 2.10 height both] to keep walking straight...

China is still cool!!

also, the flame ignition was awesome, but nothing as barcelona 92... still the best...

jacknife737
08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
So...I just want to say that Jason Lezak is the man. Take that, French relay team! HA!

Haha, yeah, that was quite the race.

Homer
08-12-2008, 04:36 PM
LAWL! Those fireworks were amazing! (http://kotaku.com/5035854/china-brings-bullshots-to-the-olympics)

But then again.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbZrI8onelg)

Jojan
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
I watched the cermony and saw that the footsteps were copmuter made, and that the little girl lip-synched (badly).

Camilamazed
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM
The ceremony was way impressive. Those moving boxes really got me. I thouht it was computerized but it turned out to be well trained chinese.

I must admit that I thought the torch holder was going to fall down.

Sunny
08-13-2008, 03:29 AM
i feel bad for the little girl who was deemed too ugly to represent china and replaced with a "more flawless" child. oh man. =/

SaiKYoU
08-13-2008, 04:02 AM
i feel bad for the little girl who was deemed too ugly to represent china and replaced with a "more flawless" child. oh man. =/

she was in fact very ugly...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00789/lin-yang-460_789580c.jpg

Sunny
08-13-2008, 05:21 AM
oh give me a fucking break. she is very cute, the way KIDS are. round little cheeks and the kind of teeth a LITTLE KID has. not perfect bleached veneers. sure, the other girl is more "perfect" and adult looking. if they were looking for a TV-star face, then yeah, ok. doesn't make it any less fucked up.

sKratch
08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Olympic Fail (http://gizmodo.com/5035456/blue-screen-of-death-strikes-birds-nest-during-opening-ceremonies-torch-lighting)

HeadAroundU
08-13-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKI79stWL64

IamSam
08-13-2008, 03:22 PM

Sweet mother that would hurt like hell.

Tijs
08-14-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/foto/1462c2b2_exampleyz8.jpg

KHWHD
08-14-2008, 10:12 AM

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party."

HeadAroundU
08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
No, it's not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxT6rPwmWbQ

Duskygrin
08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
The Olympic ceremonies irk me, they used just to cut a ribbon in the good old antique days.

Also, anyone who expects a Chinese person - let alone the Sino gvt - to be on the up-and-up on anything at all is a blessed innocent.

I knew a Chinese guy whose life was staked on not knowing anything if you asked him a question.

You: "Hey Hu, what o'clock is it, please?"

He: "I know nothing! I know nothing!"

KHWHD
08-15-2008, 06:32 AM
No, it's not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxT6rPwmWbQ

Well that's because you posted a different link than mine. Hence why yours worked, and mine didn't. :rolleyes:

SaiKYoU
08-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Well that's because you posted a different link than mine. Hence why yours worked, and mine didn't. :rolleyes:

cuz yours got caught up by some party claiming copyright...

HornyPope
08-15-2008, 02:17 PM
The Olympic ceremonies irk me, they used just to cut a ribbon in the good old antique days.

Also, anyone who expects a Chinese person - let alone the Sino gvt - to be on the up-and-up on anything at all is a blessed innocent.

I knew a Chinese guy whose life was staked on not knowing anything if you asked him a question.

You: "Hey Hu, what o'clock is it, please?"

He: "I know nothing! I know nothing!"

If you are implying he is saying that out of habit due to the political conditions he was raised in, I will disagree. I think it's just the eastern wisdom--don't get into a confrontation, verbal or otherwise, if you don't have to, particularly if you are at a disadvantage due to language skills and faced with someone who is not going to understand you anyways. Why bother, right?

I deal with few Arabs and this is generally the manner how they communicate. They don't say it if they don't have to. Often he (the old Arab) will lead on a sentence and wait for me to finish it. This way he avoids having to convince me of his point because hey I'm the one who said it, and he also avoids the risk of being misinterpreted. Pretty smart.