PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring: The Meaning of Life wiki

ThunderPX
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki

Name credit goes out to cool to hate 681. :cool:

Anyway, this is a wiki for everything Offspring-related. There's only a few articles up there right now because I just created it, but it should be a decent example so you can start adding stuff. You can add anything from the Tehran demo to setlists to Greg's penis size. Okay, maybe not that last one. But still, you can add whatever details Wikipedia doesn't think are "important enough." :D

Rutegard
08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
hey cool stuff

"All the other bands have their own wiki, so why shouldn't they?"

exactly the point!!

F@ BANKZ
08-08-2008, 12:03 PM
It looks like interesting.

Edit: May I request that this thread be temporarily stickied?

leo3375
08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Already created an account. I'm also as admin at the NIN Wiki, so I figured I'd bring some of my experience from there to the Offspring Wiki. I've gotten a page for Dexter started already. Might also make song pages and add lyrics to them.

Here's a link to the NIN Wiki, if you'd like to see what it's like:
http://www.ninwiki.com

ThunderPX
08-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I know the NINwiki. If you look carefully you'll notice some pieces of the layout resemble NINwiki stuff, actually. It'd be great if you could help out, since the only wiki I've operated before this was based on a single community, so quality control wasn't much of an issue. :p

holland25
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
You can add anything from the Tehran demo

Do I smell an irony in this sentence?

holland25
08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh, and I already took care of the Tehran demo tape, so everyone who tries to do my job will be virtually killed.

Rutegard
08-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh, and I already took care of the Tehran demo tape, so everyone who tries to do my job will be virtually killed.

what did you do with it?

ThunderPX
08-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Heh. I would've made it already except I couldn't be bothered to dig up the info. :P

Tijs
08-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Alright this is great! Can't wait to read all the info once it's filled a little. There must be at least a few things I don't know yet!

Stylie
08-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Cool, good job! You made it all by yourself and just "copied" wikipedia's design, or is it some thing that Wikipedia has?
I think we mentioned this for a little time ago, me and iGustavo and some others could work on it, but we did never come that far, heheh!

Anyway, good job, this could be interesting. Maybe I could add some stuff...

ThunderPX
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Wikipedia uses the free MediaWiki software. There are actually loads of wikis that look alike. Some of the templates were kinda ripped off from Wikipedia ones though. :P

Stylie
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Wikipedia uses the free MediaWiki software. There are actually loads of wikis that look alike. Some of the templates were kinda ripped off from Wikipedia ones though. :P

Oook... :)
So this OffspringWiki is also from the "software" MediaWiki (like everyone can create free wikis)?

ThunderPX
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes. As long as you have the webspace with the proper settings and stuff (though I think there's also a website where you can create wikis like InvisionFree for forums.)

Alex101
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
I just registered at the site.

F@ BANKZ
08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
I have just written five articles, if everybody pitches in then we can make this website comprehensive in next to no time. It isn't hard; just copy the design used on other song/album/other articles and insert the relevant information.

Edit Mk.II: You could have called it The Offspring's Stuff Is Messed Up Wiki

Alex101
08-08-2008, 05:50 PM
I just created the Timeline (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Timeline) article for the site, but it's going to need a lot of expansion.

cool 2 hate 681
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
ok i signed up :cool:

holland25
08-09-2008, 01:51 AM
The base of the Tehran Demo article is done, but I still have to work on it.

Little_Miss_1565
08-09-2008, 01:54 AM
This is really cool. Joining now!

holland25
08-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Working on Discography page. Almost done.

Done, but please, someone edit the ''Other non album songs'' so that it doesn't look like shit. Thank you!

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 04:31 AM
I've almost finished writing the articles for S/T, but I need to go to work. I'll do some more work later tonight.

I also added a little bit to the Tehran demos *quivers*.

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Fixed the Non-Album Songs section and now it does not look like crap

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 04:45 AM
By the way, what bands should have their own articles? Bands they toured with, or explicitly bands they've collaborated with? I've just implemented the ability (by using [[Wikipedia:articlename]] instead of [[articlename]].)

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 04:51 AM
I've included what album each single is from on the Discography page

holland25
08-09-2008, 04:54 AM
*quivers*

You don't have to, everyone should edit :D

Fixed the Non-Album Songs section and now it does not look like crap

Thank you!

I've included what album each single is from on the Discography page

Thank you too :D

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 04:59 AM
If you have any little tasks you want me to do, just tell me and I'll see if i can do it. I might be going to bed soon tho

holland25
08-09-2008, 05:03 AM
I just edited F@ BANKZ's edit and also the Non Album Tracks (why did you delete Living in Chaos demo and Hit that (Japanese Marching Band)?

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 05:10 AM
I just edited F@ BANKZ's edit and also the Non Album Tracks (why did you delete Living in Chaos demo and Hit that (Japanese Marching Band)?

I don't think alternate versions should have seperate articles; Beheaded's article also includes the 1999 version, for example.

holland25
08-09-2008, 05:25 AM
But they still can be listed as non-album tracks, can't they?

Made a Baghdad EP article just now.

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Alright, that works. :P

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 05:35 AM
I didn't delete them

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 05:38 AM
By the way, I thought of this classification for the current "status" of a song:

Retired: Never played live anymore
Rare: Played at least once on the most recent tour, but not much more (like Beheaded and Trust In You)
Common: Played on most but not all shows (eg. Half-Truism)
Concert Staple: Can't miss this one out (COAP, Pretty Fly, TKAA, etc.)

What do you guys think?

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Just with the Hit That Japanese Marching Band in the Non Album songs, it was on the Single CD for Hit That in Australia however it wasn't on the Complete Video Collection in Australia. Also the Band section should be the Offspring rather then "Japanese Marching Band" since it wouldn't be an offspring song then and rather a cover by another band

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 05:50 AM
Hmm. I think it should be noted since it was included on official Offspring merchandise, though.

By the way, I've cleaned up the formatting on some of the band member articles, and also added categories for pages that were missing them.

holland25
08-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Just with the Hit That Japanese Marching Band in the Non Album songs, it was on the Single CD for Hit That in Australia however it wasn't on the Complete Video Collection in Australia. Also the Band section should be the Offspring rather then "Japanese Marching Band" since it wouldn't be an offspring song then and rather a cover by another band

No, it wasn't. It was USC Marching Band there. Japanese Marching Band plays it live on a hidden feature on CMVC.

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Then shouldn't both be inlcuded then?

Stylie
08-09-2008, 06:23 AM
I just filled in the "Musical style" - copied the text from "Music style and influences" from Wikipedia. Is that okey, or? I just wanted to see how this work.

holland25
08-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Then shouldn't both be inlcuded then?

USC Marching Band is on Hit that CDS. Japanese Marching Band isn't on any album, nor DVD, it's just a hidden feature...

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Should we have a another section on the Discography for covers by other bands?

holland25
08-09-2008, 06:35 AM
It isn't a bad idea, there are quite a few. But I think it won't fit into discography section...

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 06:38 AM
I think its a better idea, and we should remove Hit That by Japanese Marching Band from Non Album Songs

holland25
08-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Umm, okay. Please, someone help me with describing The Blurb, I'm out of words :D

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 06:43 AM
What you've written sounds suffiecient :D

rise_and_fall
08-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Would you call a page on covers done by other bands or individuals, Offspring Covers?

holland25
08-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Call it whatever you want, just do it! :D

EDIT: The Blurb is done. See my masterpiece.

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Blurb

Blitzkrieg Bop
08-09-2008, 07:07 AM

Wow, I think that is spot on ... describes the song perfectly and the lyrics ... ;)

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Personally I think each song should just have one page, where it mentions remixes and covers and alternate takes and demos and whatnot.

EDIT: By the way, how should we differentiate between different things with the same name?
For example, "Tehran" at this moment is about the song while "Tehran (demo)" is about the demo; but in the case of Smash, there is "Smash (album)" and "Smash (song)".

EDIT2: http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=08/02/97
First show article!

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 09:02 AM
By the way, what bands should have their own articles? Bands they toured with, or explicitly bands they've collaborated with? I've just implemented the ability (by using [[Wikipedia:articlename]] instead of [[articlename]].)
Just Bad Religion and Sum 41 if you ask me. Manic Subsidal maybe =P Still, let's not get ahead of ourselves, we haven't even got an articles for songs such as Rise and Fall yet.

By the way, I thought of this classification for the current "status" of a song:

Retired: Never played live anymore
Rare: Played at least once on the most recent tour, but not much more (like Beheaded and Trust In You)
Common: Played on most but not all shows (eg. Half-Truism)
Concert Staple: Can't miss this one out (COAP, Pretty Fly, TKAA, etc.)

What do you guys think?
It works

Call it whatever you want, just do it! :D

lololol

Personally I think each song should just have one page, where it mentions remixes and covers and alternate takes and demos and whatnot.

EDIT: By the way, how should we differentiate between different things with the same name?
For example, "Tehran" at this moment is about the song while "Tehran (demo)" is about the demo; but in the case of Smash, there is "Smash (album)" and "Smash (song)".
EDIT2: http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=08/02/97
First show article!
One page is more than enough for each song. In time, however, we should produce whole section for demos, remixes etc...

Edit:
Calling for more people to help out. At this rate our information will take months to complete and will be consistently unreliable. Very good start all the same though =P

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 09:12 AM
By the way, does anyone have a list of songs that have NEVER been played live? I'm only sure about Denial, Revisited. But I could make a category out of songs that have never been played live.

Stylie
08-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Edit:
Calling for more people to help out. At this rate our information will take months to complete and will be consistently unreliable. Very good start all the same though =P

I could help, but could someone answer me on the other post? :)

By the way, does anyone have a list of songs that have NEVER been played live? I'm only sure about Denial, Revisited. But I could make a category out of songs that have never been played live.

When you mentioned that song...: Race Against Myself.

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry, but I didn't really understand your first question. Wiki-talk is all beyond me:D

There was one made maybe a month ago on this BBS. You should be able to find it by using the search button or looking back chronilogically.

Jojan
08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi! If you're a member of the bands BBS you might want to check out [[Template:BBS member|this template]]. --~~~~

Stylie
08-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Sorry, but I didn't really understand your first question. Wiki-talk is all beyond me:D

"I just filled in the "Musical style" - copied the text from "Music style and influences" from Wikipedia. Is that okey, or?"

I just wondered if it's okey that I copied from wikipedia and pasted it in to the "Musical style" on this Offspring Wiki. :P

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, you can freely copy Wikipedia stuff iirc. Also, is a Manic Subsidal article really necessary?

holland25
08-09-2008, 02:19 PM
I think it is, there would be no Offspring without Manic Subsidal. Oh, and I just realized how to use the template posted by Jojan. I'm hyper-intelligent.

For ThunderPX: One article for one song - Cool.

But what if the song was released as a single? I mean like the album box, B-sides and so on included on the song's page? I don't think it would look good...

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:25 PM
There are seperate single articles. I didn't feel it was right to make disambiguation pages between songs and their singles though- that would be too much of a good thing IMO. I still need to make a single template though, or do you think we can use the album one?

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 02:26 PM
We're going to have to abolish case-sensitivity otherwise things will simply be too difficult for ourselves to find, let alone casual readers. Some form of disambiguation check would be useful too. I have just finished the S/T articles and done half of Baghdad, so that is almost finished. Could somebody please finish off album articles so that we have foundations to build on; right now I'm linking to songs with now album or song article.

Also, check out the copyright laws I added.

Edit: Could somebody please explain Jojan's system please. Me = stoopid.

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Wikipedia circumvents case-sensitivity by using redirects, so I guess there's no way to disable it in the code (If I'm right, it has to do with how PHP works.) So we'll have to use redirects as well.

As for disambiguation, I'm working on it when there's albums/EPs and songs of the same name, but I think actual disambiguation pages for songs and singles is a bit too much; the way it is now, with a notice at the top of the song page, should be enough IMO.

As for Jojan's system; check the URL for your profile page on the BBS. Note the number at the end. That's what you should fill in.

EDIT: Could you guys please stop making pages like "Steady Ground < The Offspring"? We're trying to make this look professional, thanks.

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Ok, could you post details on how I could set up redirections please?

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Put this on the page that should redirect:

#REDIRECT [[name of article you want to redirect to]]

Also, I started the Ixnay article. Most of it was copied off Wikipedia since I wrote it anyway. XD

holland25
08-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Richard, you totally screwed up the Hey Joe article. The faster version with a longer intro is from Baghdad, the other version is recorded in 1996 and is on Gone Away single. I fixed it for you :D

Stylie
08-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Richard, you totally screwed up the Hey Joe article. The faster version with a longer intro is from Baghdad, the other version is recorded in 1996 and is on Gone Away single. I fixed it for you :D

You're too nice. :D

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:45 PM
By the way, if anyone can dig up some sourced sales figures where they're missing, that'd be great. I'm really just making these articles quickly so we can work from there.

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM

Heck no! I have the COAP single upstairs. I haven't played it but Tijs told me a while ago (lolz, blame Tijs for everything) that it came from COAP. My iPod agrees with me and I didn't add the titles for those songs. Then again, have you ever been wrong before?

And don't call me Richard!!!!1111two1

Stylie
08-09-2008, 02:47 PM
By the way, if anyone can dig up some sourced sales figures where they're missing, that'd be great. I'm really just making these articles quickly so we can work from there.

Sales figures? Sorry, but I didn't understand that.

holland25
08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_Away

And this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3712/offspringgoneawaybackvl3.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=offspringgoneawaybackvl3.jpg)

Okay, so how do I have to call you?

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I think we should start some WikiProjects so certain people can focus on certain types of articles.

Stylie
08-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I think we should start some WikiProjects so certain people can focus on certain types of articles.

Uhm, I'm just working on "Band History" right now. I copy info from Offspring's homepage and paste it on the wiki, edit it a bit and so on. That's ok?

Edit: And if it's not to good, it's just to edit.

holland25
08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Singles, EP's and so on. kthx.

F@ BANKZ
08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Just regular album songs mostly for myself. I have to go to sleep now, though.

ThunderPX
08-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I think the band history should be a proper article instead of years and happenings. We have the timeline for that.

Stylie
08-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I think the band history should be a proper article instead of years and happenings. We have the timeline for that.

That's ok. Anyway, I have just copied the text from "History: The Offspring" and edited a little bit. I have also set "internal link" on the most important parts.

But yeah, I agree with what you say. I can make all of it into just articles, but that must be tomorrow. Now I just set up and copied the text, so I can work from that.

So that's my job now, editing and making the bands history. Ok? :)

Ryder1234
08-09-2008, 08:53 PM
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gotta_Get_Away

I attempted Gotta Get Away. I think I did pretty bad :p

leo3375
08-09-2008, 11:47 PM
I think that we should be encouraging people to write the articles themselves rather than copy what's posted at Wikipedia. And it's an Offspring Wiki, so bios should be more extensive.

Also, I am of the opinion that the lyrics posted on the song pages should be what is written in the liner notes and any changes between what was written and what was recorded should be noted.

And taking a note directly from the NIN Wiki (and NIN community in general) it would be best to title Tour Date pages as such:
yyyy/mm/dd CITY, STATE/PROVINCE/COUNTRY

So it would ultimately turn out as:
2005/07/24 Minneapolis, MN

disclaimer_07
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Nice idea! I registered & added an article on When You're In Prison, lol xD

holland25
08-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Okay, I'm awake again, so I did Get it Right article and I'm choosing which to start next.

EDIT: Club Me is done, working on A Piece of Americana.

holland25
08-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Did A Piece of Americana and I'll Be Waiting/Blackball, finished for now.

IamSam
08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gotta_Get_Away

I attempted Gotta Get Away. I think I did pretty bad :p

I edited some stuff for ya!;)

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 04:23 AM
I think that we should be encouraging people to write the articles themselves rather than copy what's posted at Wikipedia. And it's an Offspring Wiki, so bios should be more extensive.

Also, I am of the opinion that the lyrics posted on the song pages should be what is written in the liner notes and any changes between what was written and what was recorded should be noted.

And taking a note directly from the NIN Wiki (and NIN community in general) it would be best to title Tour Date pages as such:
yyyy/mm/dd CITY, STATE/PROVINCE/COUNTRY

So it would ultimately turn out as:
2005/07/24 Minneapolis, MN

Venue seems redundant to me. I like the way it is now.

Also, have we decided whether to seperate singles and songs yet? The Gotta Get Away song page has single info now but everything else seperates them.

EDIT: I agree about the lyrics though. Are the site ones the same as the ones in the liner notes? I've just been pasting those for convenience.

disclaimer_07
08-10-2008, 04:42 AM
I actually posted the "what-you-hear" lyrics to We Are One (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=We_Are_One) for example, not the site ones.

Are the site ones the same as the ones in the liner notes?

I think so.

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 04:55 AM
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Meaning_of_Life_Wiki:Community _Portal

^^ Put a few editing guidelines there that we've (mostly) agreed upon. Feel free to add stuff and suggestions.

disclaimer_07
08-10-2008, 05:18 AM
So which lyrics should we eventually post? The actual or the official ones? Or both?

holland25
08-10-2008, 05:35 AM
The actual. That's much better.

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 05:38 AM
I think it should be like NINwiki: post the lyrics from the liner notes/website, then add a note at the bottom saying what, if anything, was changed in the recording.

(Or was that the other way around? I forget...)

disclaimer_07
08-10-2008, 05:50 AM
On March 38, 2003 (possibly meant to be an April Fools' joke), the album's title was announced as "Chinese Democracy", parodying the oft-delayed Guns 'n' Roses album of the same name. Dexter Holland explained this decision by saying "Axl ripped off my braids, so I ripped off his album title

The underlined date is wrong, what is the real one? Wikipedia states:

On April Fools' Day 2003, the album's title was jokingly announced as Chinese Democracy, a parody of the repeatedly delayed Chinese Democracy album by Guns N' Roses.

holland25
08-10-2008, 05:52 AM
March 38? Nice!

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I must've made a typo. I think it was March 30 but I'll check.

holland25
08-10-2008, 07:14 AM
People, please, don't mix song informations with single informations. I had to edit Gotta Get Away just now. And I made Black Label Records article :)

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm working on the RAFRAG songs myself.

Stylie
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Uhm, guys, i created this account on the wiki, Stylie. How can I come under the category "BBS members"?

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I edited some stuff for ya!;)

People, please, don't mix song informations with single informations. I had to edit Gotta Get Away just now. And I made Black Label Records article :)

Thanks! I'm a noob when it comes to editing anything on wiki's. How do you make that table on Gotta Get Away?

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Does there really need to be a page about Kristine Luna? It directly contradicts Leo's guidelines on this page. (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Dexter_Holland)

Also, @Stylie: {{BBS member|your number here}}

Stylie
08-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Does there really need to be a page about Kristine Luna? It directly contradicts Leo's guidelines on this page. (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Talk:Dexter_Holland)

Thank you.

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Question: On my page, why does the edit thing appear beside the thing that says im on the BBS? shoudnt it be above or below it?

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:Ryder1234

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Question: On my page, why does the edit thing appear beside the thing that says im on the BBS? shoudnt it be above or below it?

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:Ryder1234

That's just how it overlaps. If it really bothers you, put a <br> or two before the new heading that the [edit] belongs to.

Stylie
08-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah ok, I see you edited my whole text ThunderPX, and that's alright, but I wasn't finished. Yours got much better, too. Anyway, I take more tomorrow. :)

Ryder1234
08-10-2008, 03:22 PM
That's just how it overlaps. If it really bothers you, put a <br> or two before the new heading that the [edit] belongs to.
No, its just that I saw some other user pages and they didnt appear like that. I figured it out though, i just needed to press "enter" again.

F@ BANKZ
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM

I assumed that if we could post information on Greg's penis we could post about Dexter's wife. All of the information that I provided was directly song-related, if it could be considered offensive or intrusive though please don't hesitate to remove it.

Also: Sorry if my articles are a little terse; I'm low on time and decided that it was probably better to set the foundations and then build upon that rather than going too slowly.

Also, again: Could somebody please burden themselves with the Kick Him When He's down lyrics. I have a couple of interpretations and I wouldn't like write anything 2 asinine now would eye?

ThunderPX
08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Fair enough. I think we should be careful with the articles about people and provide plenty of sources, though.

rise_and_fall
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
created a Hit That page

Camilamazed
08-10-2008, 06:04 PM
It's about time. They mightly deserve it.

rise_and_fall
08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Just with the song pages and the seperate pages if the song is a single, should this be a case or should a simple yes/no be sufficient in the infobox be added?

leo3375
08-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Venue seems redundant to me. I like the way it is now.
The venue shouldn't be in the title of the tour date articles, but adding the city and state/province/country would help make it easier for people to find a specific date and place rather than just go off of just a date.

EDIT: I agree about the lyrics though. Are the site ones the same as the ones in the liner notes? I've just been pasting those for convenience.

Yes. Yes they are.

ThunderPX
08-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Okay, can't argue with that. Lucky I only listed the first leg of the Smash tour dates so far. :D

Also:
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=I%27ll_Be_Waiting/Blackball

Using the brand-new single template (which is actually just the album template with a colour splash because the same fields applied, but hey.)

Now for the previous/next links at the bottom of the template, do we keep those seperate for albums/EPs and singles, or do we mash it all into one big line? (For example, somebody had put All I Want in the "previous" field for Ixnay, but I changed it because Wikipedia seperates albums and singles.)

holland25
08-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Don't keep them separated. All articles I made have them in timeline, no matter if it was a single or an album...

ThunderPX
08-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Don't keep them separated. All articles I made have them in timeline, no matter if it was a single or an album...

Right now it's just albums, EPs, the Tehran demo and the IBW/BB single.

holland25
08-11-2008, 07:42 AM
Okay, so separate singles if you want to...

ThunderPX
08-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey, you know what they say: "You gotta keep 'em seperated!" :D

*runs before getting shot for that put*

disclaimer_07
08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I've never seen funnier misheard lyrics to Smash than these:

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Smash_(song)

Head over heels I fell here before
Now I don't wanna do it no more
I'm lying right here with blood on my face
Feeling so bad, so bad I can taste

I'm just like no one
I don't believe in guns
Don't give me shit 'cause I'm not gonna fight
I just wanna be who I wanna be
I guess that's hard for others to see

(chorus)
I'm not a trendy asshole
Do what I want
Do what I feel like
I'm not a trendy asshole
Don't give a fuck
If it's good enough for you
Cause I am alive

Smash is the way you feel all alone
Lying and desperate and on your own
Smash is the way you deal with your life
Life is a gas, it's not pain and strife

Head over heels I've been here before
I wanna be who I wanna be
I guess it's hard for others to see

(chorus)

Head over heels I've been here before
I wanna be who I wanna be
I guess it's hard for others to see

(chorus)

Guess I have to correct them a bit, lol.

F@ BANKZ
08-13-2008, 01:08 PM
How do you mishear "budge" as "fight"?

ThunderPX
08-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Seriously people, copy from the website.

leo3375
08-14-2008, 12:03 AM
I've never seen funnier misheard lyrics to Smash than these:

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Smash_(song)

Guess I have to correct them a bit, lol.

Fixed!!!!!

disclaimer_07
08-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Fixed!!!!!

Cool, thanks.

Out on Patrol
08-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Awesome page!!! :cool:

Alex101
08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
I just recently created the Articles (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Articles) page. It's an archive containing transcripitons to the band's past interviews, magazine appearances and stuff. If you got any more articles that are not from this fan site (http://www.angelfire.com/ok/yayayayaya/interviews.html), feel free to add them.

Jojan
08-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I need approval!

I guess we should try to be somewhat democratic...
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Album

lost_nvrfound
08-27-2008, 04:41 PM
As for Jojan's system; check the URL for your profile page on the BBS. Note the number at the end. That's what you should fill in.

fill in where?

EDIT: Never mind...

Umm... would a page on the reference to little miss 1565 be alright?

EDIT: How do I add a new article?

Tijs
08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Umm... would a page on the reference to little miss 1565 be alright?Only if there'll be one of me also :(

Ryder1234
08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
It looks like interesting.

Edit: May I request that this thread be temporarily stickied?

I concur. 1010101010fuck10

iPunk247
08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
w0w i am now oh stoked out and shit man

dude fucking nice/great job yo thanx 4 sharing XD

awww.... U even mentioned the lovely K-Luna

and amongs other awesomely rad infos stuffs

ThunderPX
08-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Haha wow, I haven't been paying any attention to the wiki lately. I just fixed up the formatting (and spelling of "available") in Jojan's explanation of the album template, but then I got bored.

Jojan
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Haha wow, I haven't been paying any attention to the wiki lately. I just fixed up the formatting (and spelling of "available") in Jojan's explanation of the album template, but then I got bored.

I've noticed I make alot of spelling errors.

lost_nvrfound
08-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Only if there'll be one of me also :(

I mean the little girl that the song references.

Jojan
09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
As of now, I've made 219 edits as "Jojan" and a few not logged in. Älska mig.

Jojan
09-13-2008, 07:23 AM
You lazy bastards! Do something. :P I'm currently the only one listed under Recent Changes.

Alex101
09-13-2008, 08:50 AM
You lazy bastards! Do something. :P I'm currently the only one listed under Recent Changes.

I just started editing and creating articles again today.

Jojan
10-06-2008, 08:21 AM

I agree with Jojan.

Ninty Man
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM
I agree with Jojan.

I disagree

I will uplate it lately in december vacations

Hombre
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
I read in The Offspring: The Meaning of Life wiki that Greg was born in 1965(not in 1966).Is it true ?

Alex101
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I read in The Offspring: The Meaning of Life wiki that Greg was born in 1965(not in 1966).Is it true ?

Yes, I'm positive that he was born in 1965. Wikipedia and some fan sites list 1965 as his year of birth.

cool 2 hate 681
10-29-2008, 06:21 PM
we have to keep this wiki alive the real offspring wikipedia is wrong and run by admins who know nothing

they deleted the smash ixnay and rafrag tours and band line ups are wrong what about jim benton and doug thompson:confused:

ThunderPX
12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
WHAT UP GUYS

Okay, do you think the way I divided the tours is a bit superfluous? I mean, they don't give their tour legs fancy names and stuff like NIN. Also, can anyone who understands wiki code better make a working source template?

cool 2 hate 681
12-22-2008, 02:24 PM
i have added 2008 tour dates up to july and made a profile for atom

ThunderPX
12-28-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm going to actually start adding shows now. Title format is YYYY/MM/DD. The tour legs (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tours) thing I did seems kind of clunky though, does anyone have a better idea?

Alex101
12-28-2008, 03:22 PM
I just finished adding all the dates to the Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace tour article.

disclaimer_07
12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Can I add the Deep Thoughts (by Nitro) album with D.U.I. to the Compilation/Soundtrack Appearances section?

holland25
12-31-2008, 08:20 AM
Ha, I almost forgot that page exists. Gotta work on it in a few days.

Aion
12-31-2008, 09:52 AM
nice!!!...
thanks for the info...
:D

Jojan
04-10-2009, 06:51 AM
I get errors when I've edited articles. I got the error message:

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "SearchMySQL4::update". MySQL returned error "145: Table './jonnyaxe_offspring/searchindex' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".

KyleW
04-10-2009, 07:07 AM
I get errors when I've edited articles. I got the error message:

I get a similar error when I try to use the search function :confused:

This is cool though, I didn't know the wiki existed. Im quite suprised it hasnt been ripped to shreds in an uncyclopedia-like fashion.

holland25
04-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Jesus, I totally forgot that this exists. Gotta take a look soon and do something.

Outerspaceman21
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, I've contributed to it. I made the "Related Band" page and did most of the non-single tracks on most of the records. I also added a link to all music videos.

Blitzkrieg Bop
04-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Jesus, I totally forgot that this exists

Yeah, I totally forgot about this as well, I suppose ... out of sight is out of mind.

zsk
04-10-2009, 02:17 PM
http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_they_left_Epitaph_Records and is one of the reasons that i'm an offspring fan!!!! they don't want to make money...they're not as arrogant as green day(they even make only comercial-music!)

ThunderPX
04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey guys, I got rid of all the spam. I'd also like to note that we should limit band articles to bands that at least toured with The Offspring. I'm not sure if they ever opened for BR or anything, but they're obviously notable, especially given that a large part of the article explains their relation to The Offspring. Bands like AFI are, of course, extra notable since Davey and Dexter sung on each others' albums and stuff.

I'm not particularly sure what to do with Nitro bands- then again, all of them have probably toured with The Offspring. But please don't add bands like AC/DC just because The Offspring once covered a song by them, that's stretching it a bit.

Also, as I said on the wiki main page, I'd like to apologise for taking out my frustration on wiki edits.

@Jojan: I'm not sure what's up with that error, I'm looking into that right now with the guy who owns the domain. At any rate, it doesn't seem to stop anyone from making edits, so bear with me in the meantime.

EDIT: I've added a short editing guide (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Meaning_of_Life_Wiki:Wiki_form at) to the "Wiki format" article. Feel free to add some more ideas, I'll sort through them.

Jojan
04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
On what bands should be on it; Nitro bands shouldn't be on just because they're on Nitro. But of course bands that are friends with the band, such as AFI, should be on.

But the rest is more depending on how popular they are, that is number of pages links to them. If they might be very interesting for visiting people who don't want to visit Wikipedia then they can have a page.

ThunderPX
04-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Okay, so HostGator performed some SQL updates and then both of my wikis were empty. We called them up and they charged us 15 bucks to fix a mistake they made.

Anyway, if you made any changes recently, go see if they're still there because this backup is slightly old.

ThunderPX
06-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Hey there! Most spambots should now be blocked since you now need an account to edit stuff. I'm pretty sure most of you who edited the wiki had accounts anyway so this shouldn't be a problem.

leo3375
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Can you delete the Spam Bot user pages at all? If you can, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I created a page for the Shit is Fucked Up Tour and added a page for the St. Paul show that can serve as possible ideas for how to format Tour and Tour Date pages.

ThunderPX
06-24-2009, 01:25 PM
I can, if I can find them :(

EDIT: Holy crap you are doing a lot of work

EDIT2: Oh, I've found the spam pages. Crap, there are even more than I'd thought. Also, what are we going to do about the old tours now that the band's finally named one of their tours? :P

EDIT3: Whew! That should take care of all the spam pages. I'm still scratching my head over the "digestive support cats" one though.

EDIT4 (this post has more edits than the original content): Leo, feel free to add some of your ideas to the community portal (http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Meaning_of_Life_Wiki:Community _Portal) page. I like the layouts you've come up with, plus it already says the rules can be discussed anyway.
I think there was more stuff on that page a while ago, but it got lost when this HostGator screwup happened and we had to restore from a slightly outdated backup.

Alex101
06-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Just made some edits on the site and created two new articles (Sublime and Guttermouth).

Alex101
06-28-2009, 03:56 PM
After I saw the Album Seven (http://weezerpedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Album_Seven) article on weezerpedia.com, I just decided to create an article for the next Offspring album. It's called Album Nine. Here's the link:

http://offspring.jonnys-place.com/wiki/index.php?title=Album_Nine

i_am_the_bishop
03-01-2010, 05:35 AM
i know this thread's pretty old now but what happened to this wiki??

Berzerker92
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I found that site like 6 months ago and it still worked, maybe the owner didn't have cash to pay for the server and domain costs anymore.

Jojan
03-01-2010, 11:30 AM
I found that site like 6 months ago and it still worked, maybe the owner didn't have cash to pay for the server and domain costs anymore.

The domain is still there, http://www.jonnys-place.com/, but the person owning it might just have removed the wiki.

i_am_the_bishop
03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
what a shame, it was pretty handy! :(

ThunderPX
03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
The titular Jonny tried upgrading to a new server he'd purchased himself. It kinda backfired though, and now a lot of stuff doesn't work.

The problem here is twofold:
a) We didn't set the subdomain, so the only way to get to the wiki is http://www.jonnys-place.com/offspring/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
b) Wiki software doesn't work at the moment because we're using a newer version of PHP than MediaWiki supports.

So what now? Well, I've been planning to get my own hosting for a while now, and I'd probably take the wiki with me, but I'll need to save up some money first. I'm not sure how long that'll take. The other option is to wait for everything to get sorted out; I'm assuming newer builds of MediaWiki will support PHP 5.3.x (we can't downgrade because other stuff will break, probably.)

Either way, this is going to take a while to solve.

Alex101
03-06-2010, 10:26 AM
The titular Jonny tried upgrading to a new server he'd purchased himself. It kinda backfired though, and now a lot of stuff doesn't work.

The problem here is twofold:
a) We didn't set the subdomain, so the only way to get to the wiki is http://www.jonnys-place.com/offspring/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
b) Wiki software doesn't work at the moment because we're using a newer version of PHP than MediaWiki supports.

So what now? Well, I've been planning to get my own hosting for a while now, and I'd probably take the wiki with me, but I'll need to save up some money first. I'm not sure how long that'll take. The other option is to wait for everything to get sorted out; I'm assuming newer builds of MediaWiki will support PHP 5.3.x (we can't downgrade because other stuff will break, probably.)

Either way, this is going to take a while to solve.
Well, if this is going to "take a while to solve", hopefully the Wiki page will be back online.