PDA

View Full Version : What. the. fuck.

Homer
08-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Alright, I don't know how many of you have already heard about this, but if you haven't, then here you go.

First off, the reason why I'm posting this is because it happened somewhere not too far from where I live, and there are uninvited controversies surrounding this. So, I guess there's enough make a thread on.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/07/31/canada.bus/index.html

As horrified travelers watched, a Greyhound Canada bus passenger repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated the young man sitting beside him, who was sleeping with his head leaning against the window, a witness said Thursday.
Police officers and cars surround the bus near Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, on Wednesday night.

Police officers and cars surround the bus near Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, on Wednesday night.

"There was a blood-curdling scream. I was just reading my book, and all of a sudden I heard it," said Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of the two men.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say. I don't think it will leave me for a while."

Caton said he shouted at the other passengers, many of whom also were sleeping, to leave. Video Watch Caton describe what he saw

"Everybody got off the bus. Me and a trucker that stopped and the Greyhound driver ran up to the door to maybe see if the guy was still alive or we could help or something like that," Caton told CNN.

"And when we all got up, we saw that the guy was cutting off the guy's head. ... When he saw us, he came back to the front of the bus, told the driver to shut the door. He pressed the button and the door shut, but it didn't shut in time, and the guy was able to get his knife out and take a swipe at us," Caton said.

The incident happened late Wednesday west of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, but a standoff between the attacker and police lasted into early Thursday.

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, said Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh in Dallas, Texas.

Witnesses told Canadian TV that the attacker was wielding a butcher-type knife. They said the trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of the men, who were able to keep the suspect on the bus until police came. After the standoff, police took the man into custody.

Wambaugh declined to comment further, except to "confirm that there was an incident on one of our buses."

"I don't want to compromise the investigation," she told CNN.

The incident occurred on the first of two Greyhound Canada buses that were traveling together, she said. The bus was carrying 37 passengers. As many passengers as possible among those not directly involved in the incident were transferred to the second bus, she said.
advertisement

Others were taken to a hotel in Brandon, where they were met by Greyhound managers and police, Wambaugh said.

Once they are released, Greyhound will take them by bus to Winnipeg, and "we will do whatever is required to help them -- and that includes counseling," she added.

Homer
08-09-2008, 02:08 AM
But wait, there's more!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/4209152p-4801884c.html (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/4209152p-4801884c.html)

Members of a notorious U.S. church that's been branded a hate group are coming to Winnipeg to protest at the funeral of Tim McLean Saturday.

A spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church -- which is known for staging protests at funerals of American soldiers who have died in Iraq -- said seven members will picket outside the Westwood Community Church Saturday to let Canadians know that "God hates you, and it's because of your rebellion against his word that this child is dead."

Members of a notorious U.S. church that's been branded a hate group are coming to Winnipeg to protest at the funeral of Tim McLean Saturday.

A spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church -- which is known for staging protests at funerals of American soldiers who have died in Iraq -- said seven members will picket outside the Westwood Community Church Saturday to let Canadians know that "God hates you, and it's because of your rebellion against his word that this child is dead."

Allan Mailloux, youth pastor for the Bethel Baptist Church in Winnipeg, said he was appalled that the Westboro church would consider appearing at McLean's funeral.

"That is so dishonouring to Tim McLean's family. It's a slap in the face," he said "The main purpose in life is to love God and to love one another. I don't know how this falls into that definition."

Over the past few years, members of the Westboro Baptist Church - almost all of whom are blood relatives - have upset Americans coast-to-coast by showing up at the funerals of U.S. soldiers carrying large "God Hates America" signs. The church claims U.S. soldiers are killed to punish the country for its "disobedience to God and filthy manner of life." Last January, they picketed the funeral of Hollywood actor Heath Ledger because he played a homosexual character in the movie Brokeback Mountain.

The church is considered a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Phelps-Roper said the church had already scheduled protests for this week in Red Deer, Alta., and Toronto, Ont., when they received news of the Greyhound bus massacre.

"Lo and behold, we were going to Canada and God offered us a gift. The curse of God was put upon you (Canada) when that young man's head was cut off," she said.

Mailloux said the Phelps-Roper's retributive beliefs are not reflective of Christian faith.

"That runs absolutely contrary to what is taught in the Bible," he said. "God loves all people, that is 100 per cent true. God will love us no matter how far from we stray from things. Who are they to judge?"

However, police are planning to patrol the funeral. (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4210041p-4802691c.html)

Little_Miss_1565
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
I guess that's what you get when your currency threatens the supremacy of ours.

Seriously, though, the Westboro Baptist Church are as close to real-life trolls as it gets. The Greyhound thing freaked me right the fuck out.

Ryder1234
08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Yeah, I heard about that. Also, I heard they said he was sane.

I just can't get how anyone who's perfectly sane can do something like that. That's fucked up.

GreenTerror
08-09-2008, 04:09 AM
So... Was there any particular reason he did this? Or... What? I know I get the urge to decapitate someone every now and then, but holy fuck. Just... What? Why? I cannot comprehend this at all. Oh god I need to sleep.

Jakebert
08-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Well that sure is using your head.

IamSam
08-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I hope that the Canadians have been authorized to shoot on sight. I don't think the US would protest about it too much.

Homer
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
So... Was there any particular reason he did this? Or... What? I know I get the urge to decapitate someone every now and then, but holy fuck. Just... What? Why? I cannot comprehend this at all. Oh god I need to sleep.

From what I've read, it was completely random. To be honest, I'm still having trouble wrapping my head (unintended) around the situation.

I hope that the Canadians have been authorized to shoot on sight. I don't think the US would protest about it too much.

A bunch of people from Winnipeg were planning on bringing out some anti-protest groups around the perimeter of the funeral today to stop those assholes. But, most of the groups got stopped at the border, but I guess they figured the police can stop the rest easily.

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 01:48 PM

LMAO, good one. :p

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
"A spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church -- which is known for staging protests at funerals of American soldiers who have died in Iraq -- said seven members will picket outside the Westwood Community Church Saturday to let Canadians know that "God hates you, and it's because of your rebellion against his word that this child is dead."

Wow, just wow. :confused:

Andy
08-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Charlie Brooker sums it up pretty well in his blog:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/04/1

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 08:07 PM
What I don't understand is why no one did a thing to prevent this from happening. I mean there was what 34 passengers on the bus? And no one could stop him? Yes, I understand he had a butcher knife or whatever it was... but come on, 34 people against 1 person and not one person tried to help the victim?

Jakebert
08-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Well that's sure no way to get ahead in life.

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Well that's sure no way to get ahead in life.

Ouch. Nice pun. :eek:

Ryder1234
08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
"A spokeswoman for the Westboro Baptist Church -- which is known for staging protests at funerals of American soldiers who have died in Iraq -- said seven members will picket outside the Westwood Community Church Saturday to let Canadians know that "God hates you, and it's because of your rebellion against his word that this child is dead."

Wow, just wow. :confused:

We oughta sacrifice her to Satan, or something.

Homer
08-09-2008, 08:21 PM
What I don't understand is why no one did a thing to prevent this from happening. I mean there was what 34 passengers on the bus? And no one could stop him? Yes, I understand he had a butcher knife or whatever it was... but come on, 34 people against 1 person and not one person tried to help the victim?

Well, it was late at night, most people were sleeping, the attack was unprovoked so no one could've seen it coming, and he apparently stabbed him quickly and repeatedly. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a lot people could do for him, anyways. Also, imagine you're in that situation.

"Hey, is that a psycho with a huge fucking knife stabbing that guy? Oh shit, I better go punch him!" I don't think that would be a person's first thought.

Ryder1234
08-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, If you're waking up and all sleepy to some guy stabbing another guy, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't think of trying to save him right away. And if you did you would probably be half asleep and still kinda dreaming. That'd be kinda scary, no?

Also, the fact he's got a foot long or whatever knife can kinda change your mind, I'm sure.

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, but 34 people? Don't tell me every single person on that bus was asleep. I just find it hard to believe that NOT 1 person tried to intervene.

Ryder1234
08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Well, after they all freaked out and ran off, like 3 guys went back on to help, but the guy charged them with the knife, and then they held the door closed and he was slashing at it.

Homer
08-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah, but 34 people? Don't tell me every single person on that bus was asleep. I just find it hard to believe that NOT 1 person tried to intervene.

Okay, not everybody was asleep, but the majority or people were. Again, you need to look at it from their perspective. It was a bus ride. You don't expect something like that to happen. It was also unprovoked, so no one would have been building up any courage to help if something went wrong.

You wake up, and see someone being stabbed. What would you have done?

KHWHD
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Okay, not everybody was asleep, but the majority or people were. Again, you need to look at it from their perspective. It was a bus ride. You don't expect something like that to happen. It was also unprovoked, so no one would have been building up any courage to help if something went wrong.

I honestly don't know. I pray to God I'm never in a situation like that. It probably wouldn't matter cause I'd shit my pants.

GreenTerror
08-10-2008, 12:01 AM
"Hey, is that a psycho with a huge fucking knife stabbing that guy? Oh shit, I better go punch him!" I don't think that would be a person's first thought.

I imagined this scenario in my head and lol'd.

Honestly? I'd gtfo. asap.
Just a couple weeks ago, I had to take a Greyhound from Northern California, back home to Phoenix, and there wasn't anyone who looked completely insane (that I noticed). A lot of different people, but no one crazy. Then again, I guess that guy didn't look crazy, either, according to what one of those passengers said. Just the fact that this was apparently totally random freaks me out, though. And I thought this was a good alternative to flying thousands of feet in the air... Fuck you, internet. So damn informative :(

Homer
08-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Just the fact that this was apparently totally random freaks me out, though. And I thought this was a good alternative to flying thousands of feet in the air... Fuck you, internet. So damn informative :(

Exactly. It just goes to show that you're not 100% where ever you are. *cue suspenseful music*

Charlie Brooker sums it up pretty well in his blog:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/aug/04/1

Read it, and I must say, never again will I enjoy a movie in the theater.

Homer
08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Alright, so, the funeral was yesterday, and thankfully those idiot protesters didn't make it anywhere near it. A ton of people showed up to show support to the family, and the police did their job well. I was thinking of going, but I had to work... damn.

Family, friends, colleagues and strangers flocked to bid an emotional farewell to 22-year-old Tim McLean Jr. yesterday.

More than 500 people packed the Westwood Community Church for the funeral of the young Winnipeg man who was savagely stabbed and beheaded aboard a Greyhound bus west of Portage la Prairie on July 30.

After a rendition of Amazing Grace, Alex McLean said his although his nephew Tim could be stubborn, he was also "friendly, kind, sweet and caring."

Alex McLean paid tribute to Tim's free-spirited sense of adventure and love of travel, adding he had no problem making new friends easily.

He also made reference to his nephew's infectious sense of humour and said the last time he saw Tim he was bare-chested and flexing his muscles, trying to make those around him laugh in his trademark style.

"He didn't know that we would be discussing his comic antics long after he left the room," he said.

McLean Jr.'s aunt remembered how one of his favourite pastimes was dropping handfuls of treats in front of his young relatives, to their great delight.

"If there was an Olympic sport of candy-scrambling, Tim would be a multiple medal-winner," she said.

During the 90-minute service a large video screen played a montage featuring pictures of McLean Jr. as a baby through his adult years.

The pastor said McLean Jr., a travelling carnival worker who was returning from working in Edmonton at the time of the attack, had made his way to a big carnival in the sky.

"Tim McLean Jr. has done something that the politicians have not been able to do, and that's unite this nation," he said.

Four of Tim's co-workers testified to the magnitude of his legacy and said carnival workers in places like Thunder Bay, Saskatoon and Vancouver would be remembering Tim in their own ways yesterday.

His gruesome slaying made headlines around the world after a fellow passenger stabbed him multiple times before decapitating him and eating his flesh.

Vince Weiguang Li, 40, an Edmonton newspaper carrier, was charged with second-degree murder and has since been ordered by a judge to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

By SIMON FULLER, SUN MEDIA

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2008/08/10/6403456-sun.html

lost_nvrfound
08-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Damn... well... just damn... :confused: